• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Closest to equivalent PC and price

X-570 motherboard: 190 Euro
GTX 2070 Super: 540 Euro
Ryzen 2600: 175 Euro
16GB DDR4 : 80 Euro
Nice Rig case: 190 Euro
NVME SSD 4.0: 189 Euro

Total: 1264 Euro (Without monitor, inputs, power supply, speakers / headphones etc)

Wichard explains PC SSD will not reach PS5 speeds for the foreseeable future, so the SSD is the best one I could find.

Pretty stupid, the IO is 50% of what separates a PS5 from a high end PC, I really dont think these kinds of experiments make much sense any more now that the new consoles are so different from PCs.

- How do you account for the Dual Sense controller? There is no equivalent for PC
- Or 3D audio?
- Or an OS that is now much, much faster (I'm guessing but it assuredly will be) than the bloated mess that is W10 with all the game launchers adding an additional slow barrier on top of that sluggishness?
- Why do you do pointless videos like this DF? Because it's clickbait.

So for €1264 you can build a PC that's a bit similar to a next gen console if you stripped out all the features that separate it from last gen and if the console also had a Windows OS. So I've cpied your component list and ended up with something that is much more similar to a PS4 Pro than it is a PS5..what the....do you think we're stupid or what?

GTFOOH.

Bryank75

Banned
Pretty stupid, the IO is 50% of what separates a PS5 from a high end PC, I really dont think these kinds of experiments make much sense any more now that the new consoles are so different from PCs.

- How do you account for the Dual Sense controller? There is no equivalent for PC
- Or 3D audio?
- Or an OS that is now much, much faster (I'm guessing but it assuredly will be) than the bloated mess that is W10 with all the game launchers adding an additional slow barrier on top of that sluggishness?

So for €1264 you can build a PC that's a bit similar to a next gen console if you stripped out all the features that separate it from last gen and if the console also had a Windows OS. So I've cpied your component list and ended up with something that is much more similar to a PS4 Pro than it is a PS5..what the....do you think we're stupid or what?

GTFOOH.
Yeah true, I did put a little disclaimer saying it was still inferior. It doesn't take into account console optimization either. Or special dev tools that make things faster and higher quality.

Yeah true, I did put a little disclaimer saying it was still inferior. It doesn't take into account console optimization either. Or special dev tools that make things faster and higher quality.

Oh I know, tbh I didn't watch it I just read the component break down and people commenting on YT how such a rig would be comparable to next gen consoles when that's far from reality, as consoles are not just teraflop numbers and read and write speeds lol.

I just spent over 700 bucks on a new MOBO/CPU/RAM combo and I am pretty sure it doesn't come close to PS5 in terms of latency and memory bandwidth. It does have PCIe. 4,0 so I think it can match PS5 SSD throughput (read/write) but that is only when there is a drive fast enough available, which from what I read won't be until August at the earliest.

Course other areas it is better than both NG consoles, so I guess it's all about what you prioritize

bitbydeath

I believe they haven't shown any images of the back of the controller.

I don’t think it does. The video of the controller shows you the back a bit here and you can see all the way up to the triggers.

cZBaz7P.jpg

We're probably getting updates on info after TLOU2 releases. So next week or the week after that we'll start getting some new info. Sony can't pack a OS breakdown, a console tear down, plus more gameplay trailers + release dates + new exclusives + price reveal all at once in August. Or maybe I'm wrong and they decide to roll out all that info after August. F.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I guess it's no surprise they want to hold off on showing Factions for a little bit so they can release TLOU2 and get some PS4 sales in first. They wouldn't want to show PS5 gameplay of TLOU2 engine/assets (if the separate mode is going to reuse campaign assets like the first game) before you could even buy the campaign on PS4.

Man I've spent $4300 on my PC last year, and PS5 will shit hard on it.

Glad it's meant for productivity, although it can run most current gen games at 4K ultra 60fps, never touched a game on it.

I was considering Big Navi, but now fuck it, I'm more than enough with a sharply design hardware with no goofy Windows 10 snapping from time to time. Plus, PS5 is the ultimate gaming platform with the best graphics so far.
This kind of posts are the best, keep them coming.

Also, maybe try to play a game on your $4300 PC, you might actually like it. I know I did. Since then I only fire up my PlayStation every couple a months to play new Sony exclusives.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Soon done with all preparations for PS5. I know where I'll put it so I've cleared (lots) of space for it. It will be standing vertically although I've been getting used to it horizontally as well. Didn't expect it to be so bulky but it is what it is. At least it will fit where I want it.

Before Sonys event, I wasn't going to pick up a PS5 before Elden Ring dropped, but now that they have announced Demon's Souls I'm going for launch day. It might not be a launch title but I feel like I wanna be in the loop from day 1, something that I haven't been since Dreamcast. And since it features BC for PS4, I'll most likely spend time checking out a couple of games and see if they are getting any advantages from the power of PS5.

I have saved up for everything that I want. A new TV, console and peripherals.

My tv will be LGs new C9-series. Oled 55 inch 4K HDR. Going by the reviews it will be a perfect match for the PS5. And I have a LG now and is very pleased with the quality.

The peripherals I'll be picking up is the Pulse 3D headphones, an extra controller and a charging station. This gen I only had one controller and it was a pain in the ass because I had to constantly recharge it due to the poor battery life in DS4. Really excited to see what the headphones can bring to the table regarding 3D audio.

I'm so fucking stoked for this gen. I feel it's gonna be the best one ever.

Last edited:

bellome

I still can't figure out if the dualsense will have back buttons or not (similar to the new dualshock attachment).

Any confirmation in one way or another?

Last edited:
Soon done with all preparations for PS5. I know where I'll put it so I've cleared (lots) of space for it. It will be standing vertically although I've been getting used to it horizontally as well. Didn't expect it to be so bulky but it is what it is. At least it will fit where I want it.

Before Sonys event, I wasn't going to pick up a PS5 before Elden Ring dropped, but now that they have announced Demon's Souls I'm going for launch day. It might not be a launch title but I feel like I wanna be in the loop from day 1, something that I haven't been since Dreamcast. And since it features BC for PS4, I'll most likely spend time checking out a couple of games and see if they are getting any advantages from the power of PS5.

I have saved up for everything that I want. A new TV, console and peripherals.

My tv will be LGs new C9-series. Oled 55 inch 4K HDR. Going by the reviews it will be a perfect match for the PS5. And I have a LG now and is very pleased with the quality.

The peripherals I'll be picking up is the Pulse 3D headphones, an extra controller and a charging station. This gen I only had one controller and it was a pain in the ass because I had to constantly recharge it due to the poor battery life in DS4. Really excited to see what the headphones can bring to the table regarding 3D audio.

I'm so fucking stoked for this gen. I feel it's gonna be the best one ever.

I myself am aiming at a Sony XH90/95 55 Inch screen. Probably with the Disc Drive PS5 Edition, the Pulse 3D Headphones, Second Controller, Charging Station and Remote Control so far. Won't need the Camera until PSVR2 arrives probably anyways. ( Still have the Camera from PSVR )

I still can't figure out if the dualsense will have back buttons or not (similar to the new dualshock attachment).

Any confirmation in one way or another?

No confirmation yet. Pictures don't show anything on the backside although it still can't be said for certain. Seems like Sony is still withholding lots of details for future presentations.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This kind of posts are the best, keep them coming.

Also, maybe try to play a game on your $4300 PC, you might actually like it. I know I did. Since then I only fire up my PlayStation every couple a months to play new Sony exclusives.

I'm a classic guy, been on desktops since 1996, never used them for gaming. And one time I bought a desktop from a big electronic show floor and next day won a laptop. Didn't use the laptop more than 1-3 times if I remember then gave it to a friend after a year :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Now I use a laptop only for work (teaching). If you're not extremely into shooters, PC gaming is not for you. Shooters, car sims, flying sims etc are best played on PC.

I'm only waiting for Star Citizen on PC, nothing else. But hey, that's only me, and what I said is still 100% true, PS5 will shit on my Ryzen 2700x, Radeon VII, 970 Pro 3.5GB/s nvme m.2 etc.

- Or 3D audio?

GTFOOH.
A ridiculous video to be sure. A $1300 pc that isn't comparable is future proofing vs a PS5 now?

Yikes.

Not just PS5 though, even XSX in that regard. Those PC guys need a new narrative like: we have too much money to spoil on hardware, but non for new games. :messenger_winking_tongue:
When you come from a position of "master race" which is what the pc community has kind of adopted, with smugness and sitting on a high horse, it's hard to see and grasp how console gaming has slowly caught up and now, especially with the PS5 SSD and assumed price point, surpassed PC gaming in value at this point.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
I found out that that video is SPONSORED by Nvidia, which explains the amount of uselessness in it. Nvidya are trying to clear stock of their RTX cards, which are soon to be replaced by Ampere. So they got Rich Leadbetters on the blower and asked for a favour 'make an article where you recommend our graphics cards to those suckers that take your word as gospel', future-proofing a PC on the eve of the biggest component launches on PC in living memory (Nvidia 3000, Ryzen 4000 and AMD 6000 series all landing later this year). Makes total sense cheers guys.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I found out that that video is SPONSORED by Nvidia, which explains the amount of uselessness in it. Nvidya are trying to clear stock of their RTX cards, which are soon to be replaced by Ampere. So they got Rich Leadbetters on the blower and asked for a favour 'make an article where you recommend our graphics cards to those suckers that take your word as gospel', future-proofing a PC on the eve of the biggest component launches on PC in living memory (Nvidia 3000, Ryzen 4000 and AMD 6000 series all landing later this year). Makes total sense cheers guys.

Indeed, Nvidia is too salty that they're getting nothing from the new AMD pie, and rumors even say that BIG NAVI is no joke as well, and AMD has been the underdog for so long, and collaborations with Sony has helped them a lot as both share expertise in the hardware field. Microsoft as well with xbox and their other products.

AMD getting a lot of love because it's killing the greedy intel and Nvidia, that's why I'm team RED when it comes to PC!

Indeed, Nvidia is too salty that they're getting nothing from the new AMD pie, and rumors even say that BIG NAVI is no joke as well, and AMD has been the underdog for so long, and collaborations with Sony has helped them a lot as both share expertise in the hardware field. Microsoft as well with xbox and their other products.

AMD getting a lot of love because it's killing the greedy intel and Nvidia, that's why I'm team RED when it comes to PC!

Good man!

Yep I heard from some sources on the internets that Big Navi is going to blow past the 2080 Ti and be competitive withthe 3080 Ti at least, this should be the first time they've been up there with Nvidia with their flagship.

Aggelos

Gotta say, the girl's hair in the Pragmata trailer sticks out like a sore thumb when everything else in it looks so good (lack of denoising aside).

maxresdefault.jpg

I suspect that the Capcom folks are in the process of updating their RE Engine for next-gen.
Some voices grumbled and sounded off about the graphics of Resident Evil 8, mind you.
Therefore, wait for the final product to come out.

Last edited:
Good man!

Yep I heard from some sources on the internets that Big Navi is going to blow past the 2080 Ti and be competitive withthe 3080 Ti at least, this should be the first time they've been up there with Nvidia with their flagship.

Yeah I am very excited about Zen3 RDNA2 and Ampere. I really hope Zen3 will crush Intel and RDNA 2 will be head to head with ampere. Finally AMD will be able to compete an all fronts and push the industry forward. This competition will only benefit us as consumers. ❤

Last edited:
Top Bottom