• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 sales below expectations.

Gorgon

Joining Welcome Home GIF

PC getting tasty games from Xbox and Playstation side with tons of new japanese support is incredible, on top of the already incredible mod community, sim racers/flights, VR, etc. I have a switch but that might be the last console i ever buy.

Yep, I think this will probably be my last gen on consoles too. By the time the PS6/XboxNext hits I'll just go back to PC again and stay there.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

This thread reeks of desperation. I'm sure Sony is in real trouble with only 40M sold in less than 3 years while being in short supply. PS6 clearly cancelled. :pie_eyeroll:

Sales are gonna slow down for the next few months with people waiting for the slim and some for the pro next year. That's why Sony did the price cut now rather than at the slim's launch.

Mr.ODST

Wasnt there rumours now that a ton of PS exclusives have also been delayed? Would make sense to sell the console cheaper to boost sales before releasing potential news like that?

supernova8

Banned
No one has anything for 2024 lol. I think Hellblade 2, Star Wars Outlaws and Wolverine are the only games slated for 2024, and lets face it they are all getting delayed.
Hellblade 2???
Its A Trap GIF by Star Wars

I honestly wonder if Hellblade 2 will ever come out.
Sure it kiiinda still looks nice, but with every passing hour it loses its charm and risks being outdone as a graphical showcase by other games.

Plus, what is that fucking game even doing (beyond nice visuals) that means the development takes so long? Surely they have the funding/resources they need. At this point I'm just waiting for a noclip retrospective to show the devs playing futsal in the office etc.

back on topic, maybe the rumored console revision will actually mark a significant price drop and they're expecting to skim the next layer of consumers (ie those who were not willing to buy at the current price), just like every single other generation in history. It's not that hard to imagine what comes next.

Last edited:
Don't worry SONY, Phil got the cash and will buy you out.

In all seriousness the sales expectations must have been too high The system is selling millions. The main issue rather perversely is the lack of In-House titles coming out the next year

cireza

Sony probably shipped too much inventory to the resellers. Inventory costs money, so resellers don't want to have too much for too long. So they ask to send it back or for a price drop to help clear it. Sony decided to drop the price, meaning they will make less money on the consoles sold for some time. Not a big deal. They simply overestimated how many units they would sell, so that's their mistake to begin with. These consoles are super expensive honestly, they can't fly off the shelves eternally.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
Sony probably shipped too much inventory to the resellers. Inventory costs money, so resellers don't want to have too much for too long. So they ask to send it back or for a price drop to help clear it. Sony decided to drop the price, meaning they will make less money on the consoles sold for some time. Not a big deal. They simply overestimated how many units they would sell, so that's their mistake to begin with. These consoles are super expensive honestly.
Yes, + clearing inventory For the new version.

Dodo123

They just estimated to sell too many. 3.3 mn is a solid number.

It's a much needed lesson for the overconfident ponys though. I got so tired of these comments about their magic "shortages" and how PS5 would be selling "30 mn annually". Well, you have your unconstrained sales :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TheKratos

A publicly traded company's performance is typically based against expectations of their own performance. This is a good indication for investors; Sony could sell 100X what Xbox sells, but if they expected to sell 200X, then it's still considered a failure and a bad investment. As for Microsoft, they avoid all of this by simply never announcing hardware expectations; their "MAU" estimates and actuals are nebulous and vague unless they cite specific cases, such as Game Pass subscribers.
If you think investors don't care what the competitions is doing and how Sony's marketshare is doing, then I got news for you.

Investors always care how the overall market is doing, just to analyze that it's not Sony being shit but overall market being shit

I think they have done really well considering worldwide cost of living crisis, if they want big sales now, they need top exclusives and a slim redesign, which we now know is not coming this year, maybe next year.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Hellblade 2???

Sure it kiiinda still looks nice, but with every passing hour it loses its charm and risks being outdone as a graphical showcase by other games.

Plus, what is that fucking game even doing (beyond nice visuals) that means the development takes so long? Surely they have the funding/resources they need. At this point I'm just waiting for a noclip retrospective to show the devs playing futsal in the office etc.

back on topic, maybe the rumored console revision will actually mark a significant price drop and they're expecting to skim the next layer of consumers (ie those who were not willing to buy at the current price), just like every single other generation in history. It's not that hard to imagine what comes next.
Ninja Theory is busy going to Iceland every year to research food, music, clothing, traditional weapons, mythology, language, culture, etc to make the most perfect game ever.
When the game releases in 2037 you will regret those words!

ZehDon

Gold Member
If you think investors don't care what the competitions is doing and how Sony's marketshare is doing, then I got news for you...
Never said anything of the sort. Investors care that their investments are making money. If Sony is missing targets for its core business, then the share price goes down, and investors lose money.

Elios83

Playstation just had the biggest June since the release of MGS4 in 2008 and that was before the promos in the USA.

They will be fine.

Also...where's the source for those "PS5 hardware shipments was only 3.3mm in the quarter vs 4.45mm expectations."? When did Sony reveal they expected 4.44M shipments?

There was never any mention of this 4.45m expectations, it's probably made up, they just stated the numbers are a bit below expectations (the lofty expectations to have the biggest hw sales year in their history) and they're doing promotions to get them back on track.
They also stated it's a top priority for them to sell 25m this year so they have already factored the impact of further promotions as needed.
With the Slim + price cuts+ Spiderman 2 they'll have a huge year anyway.

Last edited:
Hellblade 2???

Hellblade was never a triple A game. I seriously doubt it will set the charts on fire.

sn0man

PC has always been where I played my third party games. I only buy consoles for their exclusives and now that Sony is only focusing on 1 or 2 big exclusive games a year I can't justify paying $500 for just two games that will eventually make it to PC anyway.
Yup. Sony fanbois don’t want to hear it but this is what Xbox fangurls also had to learn. You put stuff on PC, a significant portion of gamers see no reason to buy your hardware.

It’s not that you’re going out to buy a $2,000 cost machine instead of a $500 console. PC gamers were going to buy a PC regardless. Sony just helped talk them out of paying an additional $500 for no reason.

Sony played themselves.

iorek21

I think the lack of worthwhile, tech-advanced, games for both Xbox and PS are probably the main reason for any sales below expectation. But even then, both will probably catch some steam after more games come out.

sn0man

Well lets be honest, this gen so far has been a disappointment. Most of AAA games in 2023 are still crossgen.We are still waiting for those true UE5 games that will utilize power of SSD & Ryzen.I think focusing on 4k is mistake, i would take graphical fidelity over 4k res any time.
Or physics, or unique number of entities on screen. Yes in general 2D resolution is good enough.

Last edited:

shubik

Spiderman 2 will improve sales but the honest truth is this new console gen has been very disappointing.

For these past 3 years, if you never upgraded to a PS5 or Xbox series you didn’t really miss out because most of the big games have been cross gen.
I feel the complete opposite. Being able to play games like Horizon, Spiderman, GT etc. in 60fps is a generational leap coming from the last generation. Try going back to a ps4 after using a PS5...

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Playstation just had the biggest June since the release of MGS4 in 2008 and that was before the promos in the USA.

They will be fine.

Also...where's the source for those "PS5 hardware shipments was only 3.3mm in the quarter vs 4.45mm expectations."? When did Sony reveal they expected 4.44M shipments?
I doubt you will get a response.

S sn0man

Unless that is sarcasm, how did Sony play themselves when they continue to sell gangbusters?

Last edited:

wolffy66

If you invest $200 hoping to earn $8 but only earn $6, ,you sell and look for a better use of your $200. It doesn't really mean the company did poorly.

I mean...the simplest explanation is people don't have $400-$500 to drop. I'm sure there are other factors, but let's be honest--the economy is kinda shit right now.

Food, energy, fuel--all those "volatile" things that get conveniently taken out of the inflation reports? They're still going up.

Not at the same rate as months prior, but still well above normal. The cost of living is astronomical in many areas.

Doom85

Ninja Theory is busy going to Iceland every year to research food, music, clothing, traditional weapons, mythology, language, culture, etc to make the most perfect game ever.
When the game releases in 2037 you will regret those words!

Are they actually doing all that every year and wasting time? One trip period should have sufficed.

That indie game Tchia which came out earlier this year, I know its development team traveled to Lifou for a few weeks for research as the game was to be heavily inspired by the area, but in their case they got the game out a year or two after it was announced IIRC.

Damn, Ninja Theory, get it together.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Yeah Sony are sweating a bit. Demand is obviously not where they saw it to be once stock freed up but atleast they are getting ahead of it and starting the sale now to bolster sales.

Should help a lot. They need another showcase with bangers in. What's coming in 2024?

Ar¢tos

Are they actually doing all that every year and wasting time? One trip period should have sufficed.

That indie game Tchia which came out earlier this year, I know its development team traveled to Lifou for a few weeks for research as the game was to be heavily inspired by the area, but in their case they got the game out a year or two after it was announced IIRC.

Damn, Ninja Theory, get it together.
They did only once, that I know of, I was trolling. 😂

If this is legitimate, I knew something was up with the sudden and random price drop. First you increase the price of the console which is unheard of to my knowledge and then you are feeling all generous and giving a discount for the same great selling console a several months later?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You know you must be doing something right when sales are up 40% YoY and its still below expectations!

Also, it's pretty obvious why the Spiderman2 LE console uses the old model design. The Special edition part is likely just the face-plates and packaging, so they'd obviously use chassis with the highest inventory and supply.

Last edited:

NickFire

I'm guessing the price increases outside the US hurt sales more than they expected. Not exactly a shock. The same inflation making it seem a good idea has caused most families to take a massive paycut from a purchasing power standpoint.

Regardless of the cause, I hope this leads to them modifying their information release cycles. Find the sweet spot between announcing way too early and barely showing us what first party is doing.

Top Bottom