• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 sales below expectations.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Nintendo does it right with the Switch. Instead of spending 200 mil on one game they spread it out over several games through out the year so you always have a steady stream of exclusives to play.
2018 only really had Smash. 2019 only really had three houses. 2020 only really had Animal Crossing.

As far as new Nintendo games at least. Not counting childrens SMT games of course.

Lupin25

They still plan to hit their internal yearly expectation of 25 mil. units sold by the end of the fiscal year.

They also seem to allude to some internal studio delays that contributed to poorer results. TLOU2 Factions was expected, so that would’ve helped, not sure what else.

The first 2 quarters weren’t helped by much next-gen only software either outside of Star Wars Jedi Survivor & **redacted** (not going to name the other). FF16 just came out though.
So is Baldur’s Gate 3, Spider-Man 2, MK1, Alan Wake 2, NBA 2K24, Lords of the Fallen, Avatar, Helldivers 2 & FF7 Rebirth: All games with good next-gen only stuff, so they should hit that goal fairly easily.

face crying GIF

Robb

Gold Member
I was surprised to see Nintendo have a better Q1 with Switch but eh, still fantastic numbers. They just need to get expectations in check.

zeldaring

Banned
Spider-Man will be a monster for the rest of the year

I do worry a bit about their 2024 offerings. Sales could tank without major titles. Feel like 2023 is blowing its load
We are going into a recession. covid and money printing boosted ps4 and especially switch since it was perfect timing for it's life cycle. Ps5 and switch 2 are are gonna be lucky to even reach 110 million.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

These are so disappointing numbers. I'm selling my PS5 now. I'm never gonna touch Playstation again. You are not worthy of my time.

We are going into a recession. covid and money printing boosted ps4 and especially switch since it was perfect timing for it's life cycle. Ps5 and switch 2 are are gonna be lucky to even reach 110 million.

I think gaming is pretty stable. People of all generations are into it and will play if there’s quality content

Recession may or may not be coming but ps3 and Wii both did incredible during the global financial crisis of 2008-09, so I don’t think the industry can really use that as an excuse. Gaming seems pretty recession resilient

Boy bawang

2018 only really had Smash. 2019 only really had three houses. 2020 only really had Animal Crossing.

As far as new Nintendo games at least. Not counting childrens SMT games of course.

You're really not being honest and I don't understand the agenda here. "Some games don't count because reasons". What are you, 12?
Cutting Nintendo's dick won't make Sony's bigger, and it's plenty big for you to have your "fun" already.

2018 was their worst year and had smash, Mario party, Pokemon, Kirby, Mario Tennis, and a few other minor games (sushi strikers) or ports (Bayonetta). It also had Labo.

2019 is generally considered a good year and had Fire Emblem, Luigi's mansion 3, Link's Awakening, Yoshi, Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain (which is very much a Nintendo funded and owned game), Ring Fit Adventure, Pokemon...

2020, despite COVID delays, had Animal crossing, paper Mario, brain training, some ports again like Pikmin 3...

Quite a varied lineup and as the member whom you answered to said, it ended up being a paying strategy to have those exclusives scattered throughout the year alongside 1-2 tent pole games.
I like Sony but I wouldn't be against them delivering more medium size exclusive games such as the Astro franchise.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I do worry a bit about their 2024 offerings. Sales could tank without major titles. Feel like 2023 is blowing its load
No one has anything for 2024 lol. I think Hellblade 2, Star Wars Outlaws and Wolverine are the only games slated for 2024, and lets face it they are all getting delayed.

I think next years will be Nintendo's while Sony, MS and third parties struggle to put out content. My guess is Sony continues to sell well because of the slim and the PS5 Pro, but they will continue to miss their incredibly high 25 million sales target.

I think gaming is pretty stable. People of all generations are into it and will play if there’s quality content

Recession may or may not be coming but ps3 and Wii both did incredible during the global financial crisis of 2008-09, so I don’t think the industry can really use that as an excuse. Gaming seems pretty recession resilient
yeah im not worried about recession. besides, they have been saying recession is coming for two years now and the economy is still going strong.

As long as Sony continues to drop the price of the PS5 to $399 down to $350 next year when the PS5 Pro launches, they will continue to sell. They are betting big on GaaS trash next year so we will see if any of those games hit it big. My guess is TLOU faction gets cancelled, helldivers bombs while the firesprite shooter fails to make up for single player games. Bungie's Marathon is likely a 2025 title and will undoubtedly be a smash hit.

Dream-Knife

Banned
You're really not being honest and I don't understand the agenda here. "Some games don't count because reasons". What are you, 12?
Cutting Nintendo's dick won't make Sony's bigger, and it's plenty big for you to have your "fun" already.

2018 was their worst year and had smash, Mario party, Pokemon, Kirby, Mario Tennis, and a few other minor games (sushi strikers) or ports (Bayonetta). It also had Labo.

2019 is generally considered a good year and had Fire Emblem, Luigi's mansion 3, Link's Awakening, Yoshi, Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain (which is very much a Nintendo funded and owned game), Ring Fit Adventure, Pokemon...

2020, despite COVID delays, had Animal crossing, paper Mario, brain training, some ports again like Pikmin 3...

Quite a varied lineup and as the member whom you answered to said, it ended up being a paying strategy to have those exclusives scattered throughout the year alongside 1-2 tent pole games.
I like Sony but I wouldn't be against them delivering more medium size exclusive games such as the Astro franchise.
You mistake me for a sonypony. I've owned a switch since 2017, and after selling my PS4 2 years ago it remains the only modern console I own.

I forgot about LM3, astral chain, and LA remake.

2019 wasn't as bad as I remembered.

Robb

Gold Member

For sure, can’t wait!

I’m sure they have a ton of cool stuff cooking for 2024 as well, they did keep their 25M prediction (and I’d be surprised if it’s only related to releasing new hardware). I think we’re in for a very good time.
Im Ready Lets Go GIF by Leroy Patterson

Last edited:

Tommi84

I guess most are waiting for rumoured revision and B) how many was sold recently? There's a limited amount of people worldwide that will be interested in consoles ;)

Tarnpanzer

I guess most are waiting for rumoured revision and B) how many was sold recently? There's a limited amount of people worldwide that will be interested in consoles ;)

Nah, most common people don´t know about a new revision. Its always only a small minority who is informed about these rumors.

Masterri

Next quarter they probably gonna blow it out of the water so chill.
It doesn't matter, the point still stands.
What's the point in owning a PS5 these days? To play a few timed console exclusives a few months earlier?
Some smart folks might say "B-But what about Xbox?!"
Sucking slightly less than the direct competitor doesn't make you good.
PlayStation used to be much more than this.

No one has anything for 2024 lol. I think Hellblade 2, Star Wars Outlaws and Wolverine

Wolverine doesn’t have a date, insomniac seems pretty good about releasing a game every other year

I think it’ll launch fall 2025

Sony may have death stranding 2 for 2024, but beyond that it’s a literal ghost town

Either they are holding cards close to their chest or it will be a really weak year setting up for a superb 2025

zeldaring

Banned
What's the point in owning a PS5 these days? To play a few timed console exclusives a few months earlier?
PlayStation used to be much more t
If you have a descent pc you can play everything on it, even Nintendo games lol. So that goes for every console.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wolverine doesn’t have a date, insomniac seems pretty good about releasing a game every other year

Sony may have death stranding 2 for 2024, but beyond that it’s a literal ghost town

Either they are holding cards close to their chest or it will be a really weak year setting up for a superb 2025
Pretty sure wolverine was revealed as a 2024 game whereas Death stranding didn’t.

This is a very weak opinion on what Sony have coming in 2024. I'll bet they have some big releases for 2024, probably another showcase on the way as well.

Allandor

Not a real surprise. After all consoles are still quite expensive and that while the global economy goes down (almost entirely because one country inflicted a war on its neighbor). Even the price cut doesn't do much for that. I'm sure the numbers will grow but we are still far from unavailable consoles Like in the early years of this gen.

My guess would be that it will sell much, much better if e.g. the digital version hits the "magical" $300 barrier. That price should also work for the production costs, as the main components should now be much cheaper than years ago (+the digital edition means that users can only get games with Sony's services ($$$)).

This is a very weak opinion on what Sony have coming in 2024. I'll bet they have some big releases for 2024, probably another showcase on the way as well.

I just don’t see ND, Sucker Punch, or Bend having anything. These games are taking 5 years, so that’s 2025 at the earliest for all of them since Bend wasted a year

Im just being realistic; I think DS2 in the fall and possibly an AstroBot game from Asobi, with a mix of smaller titles.

Next year seems to be really weak for the industry in general, I’m a little concerned

I just don’t see ND, Sucker Punch, or Bend having anything. These games are taking 5 years, so that’s 2025 at the earliest for all of them since Bend wasted a year

Im just being realistic; I think DS2 in the fall and possibly an AstroBot game from Asobi, with a mix of smaller titles.

Next year seems to be really weak for the industry in general, I’m a little concerned
The Pro model is being rumoured for next year right? Surely they'll have a good Lineup of games for that? I was hoping this generation would finally start booming towards the end of this year and 2024 onwards. This year has and still has some amazing games but 2024 I think we'll start getting the true next generation graphics everyone is hoping for. ND, Rockstar, 4A GAMES etc are all yet to release their next-gen games.

NahaNago

This isn't that surprising. I wasn't expecting them to have the most amazing year this year. Spiderman 2 will probably just keep them at somewhat below expectations for this year instead of falling even further.

Klik

Well lets be honest, this gen so far has been a disappointment. Most of AAA games in 2023 are still crossgen.We are still waiting for those true UE5 games that will utilize power of SSD & Ryzen.I think focusing on 4k is mistake, i would take graphical fidelity over 4k res any time.

tusharngf

Compared to other quarter results yeah the number is way down for PlayStation. I think they need to put more exclusive games in a single year.

GTA6 is coming in 2024 and it'll move hardware even though it's not exclusive, hell if Sony has the marketing rights it'll probably move a ton of consoles. It'd be better for Sony not to release anything right around the time GTA comes out, that is still a series other games need to avoid competing with.

Mowcno

The sales forecast for the year remains at 25m, they increased their gaming revenue expectations by 7%, hardware is up almost 40% YoY and they just had their best June in the USA since 2010 but they look "really bad" ok.

They shipped more than they sold-through in the previous quarter so that was always going to have a negative impact on shipments for this quarter. Context is important.

Now it's the opposite. For April-June they sold-through a lot more than they shipped so expect shipments next quarter to be substantially higher.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Was Q1 last year when PS5 was in constraint? that would add some context to all this. I can't remember when Big Jimmy said the constraints were over.

Fahdis

So instead of playing on a 500usd PS5 you are playing on a 2000+USD machine, and what point are you trying to prove?

The days of $2K Tower PC's are over. You have choices between Cloud subs or a Mini PC with a Ryzen 7 or Intel 11/12 CPU with the RTX 3070/3060 or AMD 6600XT selling for $700 to $800 for sale. Consoles are definitely going to be a thing of the past. Closed Ecosystems are the worst.

Last edited:

drganon

PlayStation used to be much more than this.
Whatever you say, nautilus.

Top Bottom