• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Playstation 5 The Future of Gaming Show' had a 4 times bigger Audience than 'Xbox Games showcase"

Hp0nDH5.png

Psykodad

Banned
Completely logical and normal, Sony has dominated the generation by offering a large catalog of exclusive games, keeping the interest of users very alive, Microsoft instead has lost strength with its community.
What’s worse, is that the flagship Halo gameplay reveal comes right after FF VII Remake, TLOU2 and GOT respectively.

General perception of the Halo footage can't be good when people have been spoiled by PS4 games looking like that.

That's ignoring PS5s game visuals.

Bryank75

Banned
3:1 in PS5 favor is my guess.... if I had to be more accurate I'd say 2.9:1.

With digital catalogs coming forward and the customer loyalty PS has plus XBox really not having anything hype. Along with Xbox games all being on PC... I just think it's going to be even harder for XBox right from the start.

29 Million views on the english version alone.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I think it's unfair to compare xsx sales with ps5 sales, since you have lots of options of where to play ms games, compared to sony games.

A better comparison now would be sales numbers of AAA games of similar genre.

Why would that be the case?
Xbox One vs Ps4 was Microsoft dropping every ball and Sony doing everything right.
This won't be repeated.
No need. Digital games not being able to be resold meant that it is harder to change sides. Adding to that we have BC, and we get an uneven playing field. Xbox know this, this is why they are gambling on Gamepass maintaining profitability even after the expected mass exodus.

People play what their friends are playing. This generation will be the worst to lose, because there is no more hard reset.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why would that be the case?
Xbox One vs Ps4 was Microsoft dropping every ball and Sony doing everything right.
This won't be repeated.

A good deal of PS4’s success was built from the recovery and successes accomplished with the PS3. They prepared for PS4 by making PS3 great: they have always focused on very effective generation wide support as a means to transition to the new generation.

PS5 is being built from a very very successful PS4 generation and seems to be built to take that further and in new ways too.

Last edited:
MS got the attention they wanted and they were simply not ready.

It just means MS pissed a lot of more people yesterday.
O believe me they didn't want all that negative reactions after all that hyping. But they knew it was coming....
The coming week theyr will be a lot of damagecontrol and spinning from Phil Spencer in many many many interviews😉

WellSheet

3:1 in PS5 favor is my guess.... if I had to be more accurate I'd say 2.9:1.

With digital catalogs coming forward and the customer loyalty PS has plus XBox really not having anything hype. Along with Xbox games all being on PC... I just think it's going to be even harder for XBox right from the start.

29 Million views on the english version alone.

I think Sony has the strong chance to “win” again for sure.

I think we may see Microsoft’s “services” approach pay off down the road though, closing the gap. But I think launch will be different, unless anything drastically bad happens on Sony’s end - IE pricing, release date, launch line ups

One thing is certain - both companies are really waiting on the the other to draw on price and release date...it’s getting hilarious.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
After yesterday's embarrassing show Series X feels pretty much DOA. I have a hard time seeing how Microsoft will compete with Sony on equal terms. Next gen will be even more one sided than the current.

As long as the gamepass money keeps flowing, they're fine. They can manage a succesful business with a reduced audience.

mejin

O believe me they didn't want all that negative reactions after all
O believe me they didn't want all that negative reactions after all that hyping. But they knew it was coming....
The coming week theyr will be a lot of damagecontrol and spinning from Phil Spencer in many many many interviews😉

no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole army is working right now...paid articles from everywhere.

Pretty sure we will have to include phone sales, PC sales, and Xbox series x sales for xbox. Selling just a single piece of hardware is pointless in today's world. You make no money off of hardware. It is a software and service era. And they are in the lead on this..
Sony and Playstation disagree with you, and they will proof it again with the PS5

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Pretty sure we will have to include phone sales, PC sales, and Xbox series x sales for xbox. Selling just a single piece of hardware is pointless in today's world. You make no money off of hardware. It is a software and service era. And they are in the lead on this..
No they're not... they are losing money and still at 10 million subscribers. If you don't have the content, you won't grow. They just sold GamePass to people who are already Xbox customers.... but in turn probably lost 2-3 full game sales every year..... utterly stupid.

There is a reason Nintendo and Sony will keep using the traditional model.... it is the most sustainable and logical.
I mean the only people screaming for this all digital /rent my games with no other options future are xbox fans... then they will make some comment about consumer friendliness....which is just hilarious.

Bryank75

Banned
I suppose PS4 will sell 120+ million consoles this gen when it's all said and done.

Next gen I expect they will hit 140 - 150 million, I think 10 to 20 million will be people coming from XBox (exclusively) to either buy a PS5 in addition or just move completely.

Then I expect PC gamers who used to buy XBox to compliment their PC, to get a PS5 instead.

Kokoloko85

It doesn’t matter for Microsoft. They are not selling their console like Sony. They are selling Gamepass.

Lol, Thats why they made 3 console SKU’s recently?

If they are just about gamepass they should leave the console race and just make a 1st and 2nd party version of gamepass for the PS5 and Switch.

Most the comments I see are people saying they have gamepass for PC

Dabaus

Banned
After yesterday's embarrassing show Series X feels pretty much DOA. I have a hard time seeing how Microsoft will compete with Sony on equal terms. Next gen will be even more one sided than the current.

I wonder what the spin will be when ps5 passes 10 million and xbox is floundering at 2-3 million sold? "Its not about hardware its about services and subscriptions and thats what we do best. Halo infinite has had 10 million views on youtube and were really excited about whats in store at xbox next" - Phile spencer, probably.

RespawnX

It doesn’t matter for Microsoft. They are not selling their console like Sony. They are selling Gamepass.

They also want a solid install base on home consoles. They won't get back the 1:1 ratio from 360 era but they could have reached a 1.5:1 ratio, even against the strong PS brand. And that's the point, Game Pass is based on the Xbox brand and the brand is declining. Game Pass needs a tremendous install base to generate some profits. Obviously they are years away from this point but with the presentation yesterday they got further away from this break even point. I don't consider it a bad show but if you compare to the lineup on Xbox One release, it lacks on 1st and 2nd party exclusives for launch. You can date every title which didn't show "Xbox One" to the end of 2021 (earliest). Sony also had a really weak PS4 lineup, even weaker than XsX but they have a strong brand and their competitor fucked up their reveal. The problem is, Sony wont fuck up the PS5 release so XsX wont gain any momentum. In fact Sony only has to keep on track, even with they abysmal communication strategy and their spare launch lineup. Every sold PS5 is one Game Pass owner less.

Dnice1

Not discounting the overwhelming popularity of the Playstation brand worldwide. There was alot more unknown about the PS5. People were interested to see if the were going to unveil what the console actually looked like. Microsoft even't was a 1st party games event. If you aren't interested in Microsoft's 1st party games. Why would you watch?

PlayVerso

No they're not... they are losing money and still at 10 million subscribers. If you don't have the content, you won't grow. They just sold GamePass to people who are already Xbox customers.... but in turn probably lost 2-3 full game sales every year..... utterly stupid.

There is a reason Nintendo and Sony will keep using the traditional model.... it is the most sustainable and logical.
I mean the only people screaming for this all digital /rent my games with no other options future are xbox fans... then they will make some comment about consumer friendliness....which is just hilarious.

I think that MS cannot invest as much money in a triple A as Sony does, I do not think that this business model is sustainable, that is why we are seeing so many double A games instead of triple A in GamePass, Sony is currently doing good because their exclusives sell more than ever in the past they sell many consoles and have already exceeded 40 million on PSPlus.

Yesterday everyone was hopeful, today, after one meh showcase Microsoft is ready to be buried. A lot of you are such prisoners of the moment. That's even apart from the blind fanboyism (both Sony and MS btw) running rampant as always.
The cringe on this board after any con or panel is just insane haha
Unless you have proof this showcase is an anomaly, this is where Xbox is heading. That is what showcases are for.

PSlayer

No surprise here! PS4 has a bigger install base and right now the Playstation brand has way more relevance than the xbox.Also, yesterday's presentation didn't help much.

The only thing microsoft can do right now is undercut PS5's price point and hope it's enough to swing on the fence buyers.

Top Bottom