• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Playstation 5 The Future of Gaming Show' had a 4 times bigger Audience than 'Xbox Games showcase"

Probably far more than that considering everything else outside that metric. Not to mention it was overwhelmingly positive vs. this one that was received overwhelmingly negative. That is a bigger problem for MS in the U.S market - their only true viable market.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
This is what decades of providing a good quality platform to play videogames does for you. Also, the world is not North America although the mainstream gaming media and a big chunk of the industry may give that impression.

In many parts of the world Playstation is as synonimous of console as Kleenex with tissues.

DeaDPo0L84

Hp0nDH5.png

Out of curiosity were the numbers taken within the same timeframe? So say both numbers gathered within 24 hours of each conference? I only ask cause the playstation conference has been out a month vs the xbox conference.

Edit: answered my own question,ignore.

Last edited:
This is also representative for my friend's group. I´m a guy in his 30´s and all my friends are excited about PS5. Not one of them even considers XBOX (I´m in Germany for context)

Same here at Finland, all my friends, relatives, co-workers etc. Have Playstation and most likely buy PS5.

Basically nobody sees xsex even as an option so it is easy choise

GetemMa

Xbox just isn't popular and hasn't been for close to a decade now. There is no path back

Sure there is a path back.

But gutless leadership won't get them there. You need the next Halo. The next Gears. Not more Halo and more Gears.

Binning every pitch that comes your way isn't exactly brave leadership. They keep going back to the same old wells. Their biggest announcements weren't new or exciting, just refreshed old news.

Fable isn't new, Forza isn't new, State of Decay isn't new. Obsidians new RPG is probably many years away from release.

CrysisFreak

Banned
This is also representative for my friend's group. I´m a guy in his 30´s and all my friends are excited about PS5. Not one of them even considers XBOX (I´m in Germany for context)
Germany is not relevant because it's a PlayStation nation. Not much competition here. It's about the US.

Kumomeme

people been saying stuff like "microsoft didnt want sell console/games..they want to sell gamepass services"

this strategy not wrong..from bussiness perspective this is great move
but i believe the problem is they should not put services as no.1 priority..atleast not what it seems from outside

they should still go hard push the gamepass..this is their gamechanger...but they need to know that in the end they in videogame industries..they one of big 3 of console manufacture..they one of the big 3 in the block..they even owned multiple studio...the image that they should chase is not mainly as "services company" but more to "videogame maker company"...let people view them as "halo or fable company" than "gamepass company"

this is differences between sony and nintendo..both also push hard their own bussiness strategy as ms...but at forefront they pushing their videogame intelectual properties...nintendo with mario, zelda, pokemon while sony with god of war, uncharted, spiderman for example and their library of ip is expanding...some of it even expanding to other media platform such as film..even nintendo got their own themepark and sony probably come later...their game should be main star not the bussiness model/services...atleast make that what it appear from outside...this is how those 2 gained mindshare, gained loyal audience, give outside image of impression and such..this is how also nintendo can bounce back after wii u failure....those image build by those ip is what remain and carry over each time they change their console/generation shift or shifted to other platform/terriratory...nintendo for example when they jump on mobile phone market, despite they are not big kid there unlike those like tencent who sitting in the space longer, but people perceive their presence as how their image being build up before in different console space...people still see them as 'the' nintendo that bring mario and zelda ..that just an example....

none of them put their store or streaming services as main front runner despite those indeed one of their biggest priority that make tons of money for them..no use if someone has genius bussiness model/tactic but 'lacking' product to sell...take netflix for example..their tv series has label "netfix production" and throwing their shows as main marketing attention, not soley just rely on how cheap their services, how much show they has and such...thats how they compete with their competitor ..unless you are the only big kid in block..but aparently you are not and what you got is also same with what the others has.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
If Sony was actually worried about Microsoft I don't think they would've led with GTA5 for their presentation. Everything Sony has shown me has been nothing short of disappointing but I don't really blame them, they have no reason to try harder than the bare minimum, there is no visible competition within the near future. They could literally just kick Microsoft's ass by bringing all their PS4 exclusives to PS5 in upgraded capacity because they'd still be offering better games than Microsoft can offer.

PC is going to have a great next couple of years reaping the benefits of Sony's laziness with PS5

Bryank75

Banned
If Sony was actually worried about Microsoft I don't think they would've led with GTA5 for their presentation. Everything Sony has shown me has been nothing short of disappointing but I don't really blame them, they have no reason to try harder than the bare minimum, there is no visible competition within the near future. They could literally just kick Microsoft's ass by bringing all their PS4 exclusives to PS5 in upgraded capacity because they'd still be offering better games than Microsoft can offer.

PC is going to have a great next couple of years reaping the benefits of Sony's laziness with PS5
I fully expect there to be patches for Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon and many others to run at 60 fps and have other benefits....

They have pretty much said so months ago.

Honestly Microsoft should consider cutting a deal with Sony to get their games onto PS5. GamePass is a winner and the console hardware business is brutal. They could easily make way more money selling subs to PS5 gamers. Sony gets a clear win on hardware revenue and Microsoft saves itself from the ass-kicking that is about to take place.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Honestly Microsoft should consider cutting a deal with Sony to get their games onto PS5. GamePass is a winner and the console hardware business is brutal. They could easily make way more money selling subs to PS5 gamers. Sony gets a clear win on hardware revenue and Microsoft saves itself from the ass-kicking that is about to take place.
They could do a version where it's just XBox first party games and exclusives.... but there's no way that Sony would allow the full version as it would cut into sales.

They could do a version where it's just XBox first party games and exclusives.... but there's no way that Sony would allow the full version as it would cut into sales.

Exactly. Just first-party games. But they will never do it and I'm not sure Sony would either. They have every incentive to step on Microsoft's throat and end them quick.

supernova8

Banned
I suppose PS4 will sell 120+ million consoles this gen when it's all said and done.

Next gen I expect they will hit 140 - 150 million, I think 10 to 20 million will be people coming from XBox (exclusively) to either buy a PS5 in addition or just move completely.

Then I expect PC gamers who used to buy XBox to compliment their PC, to get a PS5 instead.

Interesting. I'll probably get a Lockhart for the short term and then pick up a PS5 when all those juicy exclusives actually come out. I really do not want to splash a load of cash on a system that will have very few bangers (that goes for both sides at launch). That's coming from a PS4 user btw.

Last edited:
I understand that Sony would still have more viewers regardless, but the PS5 show was a complete reveal of both the console itself and the games plus Sony was really pushing the ads for it. We had already seen the XsX for months before the Xbox event and afaik I don't think MS had any ads for this showcase. These events aren't comparable and using this useless info to make predictions on an entire generation is just ridiculous.

A killer app from Microsoft and their new studios or Sony in like 5 years could change everything. This thread is retarded.

Exactly. Just first-party games. But they will never do it and I'm not sure Sony would either. They have every incentive to step on Microsoft's throat and end them quick.

Sony would probably be fine with it, as long as MS doesn't try to include having a Live account as a requirement.

No they're not... they are losing money and still at 10 million subscribers. If you don't have the content, you won't grow. They just sold GamePass to people who are already Xbox customers.... but in turn probably lost 2-3 full game sales every year..... utterly stupid.

There is a reason Nintendo and Sony will keep using the traditional model.... it is the most sustainable and logical.
I mean the only people screaming for this all digital /rent my games with no other options future are xbox fans... then they will make some comment about consumer friendliness....which is just hilarious.

MS's only saving grace here is they've only released like 2 AAA titles since GP launched but people are going to expect more than that. Of course Matt Booty said they are going to focus more on AA games so that's to be expected, most of the studios they purchased aren't AAA studios anyway.

You are right though, Gears 5 should have been something that brought in some decent money and I'm sure it was expensive to make, it charted at number 7 in NPD in it's first month and dropped out of the top 20 in the second month and this is in Xbox's strongest region. I believe Spencer said it did well for them so clearly he's full of shit and always has been.

No surprise here! PS4 has a bigger install base and right now the Playstation brand has way more relevance than the xbox.Also, yesterday's presentation didn't help much.

The only thing microsoft can do right now is undercut PS5's price point and hope it's enough to swing on the fence buyers.

With the rise in digital sales and PS5 being BC with PS4 that's not likely to happen, I think most people are going to stay put or MAYBE buy both consoles but I don't see many people jumping ship either way.

Yesterday everyone was hopeful, today, after one meh showcase Microsoft is ready to be buried. A lot of you are such prisoners of the moment. That's even apart from the blind fanboyism (both Sony and MS btw) running rampant as always.
The cringe on this board after any con or panel is just insane haha

If this was a one time thing you'd be right, sadly it's an every time thing.

Dr Bass

I understand that Sony would still have more viewers regardless, but the PS5 show was a complete reveal of both the console itself and the games plus Sony was really pushing the ads for it. We had already seen the XsX for months before the Xbox event and afaik I don't think MS had any ads for this showcase. These events aren't comparable and using this useless info to make predictions on an entire generation is just ridiculous.

A killer app from Microsoft and their new studios or Sony in like 5 years could change everything. This thread is retarded.

Cool. Add up the viewers from every Xbox Series X event so far and compare them to the one Sony stream.

Dr Bass

PC and multiple consoles? Sony only has one way to make money next generation PS5. MS has more avenues and they need em.

Yes. You use Game Pass on Xboxes (and PC). Claiming they don't care if they don't sell Xbox consoles because they have Game Pass is completely absurd. Gamers that are primarily PC gamers are likely not going to sign up for Microsoft Game Pass. Just like Games for Windows and every other attempt MS has made at controlling the PC game space has turned out. Just because you play the games on Windows doesn't mean MS has any influence over buying those games on that platform. They really don't. They need to sell the Xbox to sell Game Pass.

THEAP99

Banned
Can't wait for the next PlayStation show. They really nailed making this one memorable starting with the Miles Morale announcement and ending with the console reveal.

Last edited:

base

Banned
I fully expect there to be patches for Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon and many others to run at 60 fps and have other benefits....

They have pretty much said so months ago.
Good luck with that.

Topfuel

Yes. You use Game Pass on Xboxes (and PC). Claiming they don't care if they don't sell Xbox consoles because they have Game Pass is completely absurd. Gamers that are primarily PC gamers are likely not going to sign up for Microsoft Game Pass. Just like Games for Windows and every other attempt MS has made at controlling the PC game space has turned out. Just because you play the games on Windows doesn't mean MS has any influence over buying those games on that platform. They really don't. They need to sell the Xbox to sell Game Pass.

But they sell the operating system that most PC gamers use? What do Sony have outside their gaming division, their Japan-centered Financial Division?

I have always preferred MS IPs over Sonys (tbh there isn't much at all from their portfolio that I like). I loved my 360, and the original Xbox was a phantastic console. I stuck with MS for the most time during this current gen, even though there weren't lots of games I was interested in. I made a decision not to continue gaming on PC for reasons I won't go over here. The showcase MS put out almost felt like an insult after all this waiting (I'm not talking the last couple of weeks, I mean since 2015 basically). What a giant waste of my time. What a colossal fuck up this was. They have everything but the most important part, compelling games.

Seems like there's a good chance I'll be on PlayStation this gen without even wanting a PlayStation. Good job selling a PS5 to me, MS :messenger_tears_of_joy:

/62nd rant this week

But they sell the operating system that most PC gamers use? What do Sony have outside their gaming division, their Japan-centered Financial Division?
Are you kidding me? Windows is practicality given away for free these days. The OS is the cheapest thing MS sells. And last I checked, no one is playing Microsoft 30% when they buy games on Steam.

Topfuel

Are you kidding me? Windows is practicality given away for free these days. The OS is the cheapest thing MS sells. And last I checked, no one is playing Microsoft 30% when they buy games on Steam.

OS version most Steam owners run? Win 10 at 87 %. Last time I checked Sony is at 76 USD shareprice, while MS is 200 USD. Last time Sony was over 100 USD was around 2000.

Last edited:
OS version most Steam owners run? Win 10 at 87 %. Last time I checked Sony is at 76 USD shareprice, while MS is 200 USD. Last time Sony was over 100 USD was around 2000.
I got my Windows 10 for free. MS gave away win10 upgrades for home use. If you actually played on PC you would have known that, No one actually BOUGHT windows 10 unless it is a Business expense.
And shareprice? Are you serious? You are bringing up shareprice? That is just you admitting that Xbox Division is doomed.

Cyborg

What should worry MS is this backslash after all the reveal and negative look from the public.

Its the second time they face this and its a shame for them.

Topfuel

I got my Windows 10 for free. MS gave away win10 upgrades for home use. If you actually played on PC you would have known that, No one actually BOUGHT windows 10 unless it is a Business expense.
And shareprice? Are you serious? You are bringing up shareprice? That is just you admitting that Xbox Division is doomed.

..and you think the Sony Japan overlords care about gamers and what passion Mark Cerny have for developing games and game architecture?

shubik

Germany is not relevant because it's a PlayStation nation. Not much competition here. It's about the US.
Ok well, then please ignore what I said. I had no idea this is only US centrictic. Who knew that european or german sales don´t matter...

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I think Sony will always have the bigger audience, but if there is one good reason why this might have been the case. Time was in the early morning in the US, while early evening in Europe... They should've done it on a Sunday like they do at E3, in the middle of the day.

Top Bottom