• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

SonGoku

Exactly LOL!!! Sony will shoot their load when they are ready to talk about PS5 Pro. They have no other choice.

Oh so Returnal and Spiderman 2 don't count now?
Returnal is a smaller indie type game that fits in my couple of smaller game exceptions, you are right about sm2 i forgot that one was not on ps4 but its not huge game either or massive departure from the previous entries.
Still waiting for Sonys "next gen" showcase, what they released so far has only given a glimpse into what could be a true next gen AAA showcase

Say what you will about Killzone Shadow Fall, but that was a launch game (or launch window cant remember) with the next gen wow factor

Microsoft buys companies: The momentum is swinging!

Microsoft wins Metacritic Publisher of the Year: The momentum is swinging!

Microsoft announces and releases literally any game: The momentum is swinging!

Microsoft has a good show: The momentum is swinging!

*Looks back at how this generation has actually gone*

40nzpd.png

LOL exactly.

EDMIX

Gold Member
No identity xbox game will ever launch on PS, bookmark it, no halo, gears, forza, fable, hell i doubt you guys even get perfect dark.
  • Avowed: yes (1 year later) have fun waiting
  • Indiana jones: yes (1 year)
  • Hellblade 2: yes (1 year)
  • Blade: Nope (unless disney rework pub deal, who knows)
  • State of Decay 3: Nope
  • Clockwork Revolution: maybe, leaning toward yes with 1 year wait
  • South of midnight: Nope
you're a fool if you think all XGS games are coming, they will be on a case by case basis
smh

Yea, I don't know if this is a hill to die on man.

Look, not too long ago you guys where making it sound like nothing would ever appear on PS, now its like you have a list of games that will come, but shit, we are to believe nothing else will or something?

once that starts, I don't see the point in trying to then cherry pick some list or pretend as if this will and this WON"T or something weird like this.

The fact that its happening AT ALL, doesn't help your point.

So at this stage, I doubt nothing and its likely majority of those titles find their way to PS. Even your whole theory on..
existing XBOX franchise

is irrelevant. Didn't Sea Of Thieves clearly start from within MS? That isn't something that was being made when MS bought Rare or something, it was made generations after MS bought Rare so....

If that isn't an existing XB franchise, I don't know what is as you've made some term to fit some narrative that none of us are aware of lol

So i don't think anything is off the table with MS right now and maybe its best to come to terms with that.

I would never bet against MS looking to make money, many have lost that bet bud.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Why are they complaining? Most of those games are probably coming to PlayStation sooner or later anyway.
Because sony has the best studios in the industry and has been shit on output for a while. Sony is just coasting with basically a monopoly in the home console business that Microsoft is leaving. Where is my next generation naughty dog game. They have 2 ginormous teams and zip in this generation. Instead of buying games they should invest internally to fix the management issue since the ps4 crew left. Insomniac of course is the exception. I bought a ps5 for sony first party studio games not purchased 3rd party studio games.

What's all the drama about - aren't most of those games muilti platform and the rest also on PC?? How many Xbox excluisves were there?

Why? Xbox is going to release those games on Playstation anyway. Lol
Exactly. Thread and discussion can end here. If those games aren’t exclusive to XBox then even with a good showcase, does this really benefit the XBOX brand in the long term?

Because sony has the best studios in the industry and has been shit on output for a while. Sony is just coasting with basically a monopoly in the home console business that Microsoft is leaving. Where is my next generation naughty dog game. They have 2 ginormous teams and zip in this generation. Instead of buying games they should invest internally to fix the management issue since the ps4 crew left. Insomniac of course is the exception. I bought a ps5 for sony first party studio games not purchased 3rd party studio games.
I definitely agree and that’s why Microsoft putting their exclusives on PlayStation imo will just make Sony even more nonchalant which means they’ll probably become even less productive and aggressive because they won’t have stiff competition pushing them to try harder anymore.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I definitely agree and that’s why Microsoft putting their exclusives on PlayStation imo will just make Sony even more nonchalant which means they’ll probably become even less productive and aggressive because they don’t have stiff competition pushing them to try harder anymore.
I agree but Microsoft is clearly leaving the home console business. At this point xbox hardware exclusives are meaningless to Microsoft management and board. They are giving up on the hardware to be big 3rd party publisher. Its a shame a monopoly does customers and industry no good. Its a shame that phil didn't get the warchest when he first took over to beef up the first party studios. If so games could been ready for the series x launch instead of mid generation

sendit

Strange take. Microsoft buys half of the gaming industry, and Sony is the monopoly?

Vroadstar

Gold Member
This was a show of power from Microsoft’s gaming division. They even bought the biggest multiplatform releases as parters while Sonys showing was just a few scraps plus Astrobot.

You’re wielding all the power in the world, yet here you are, still trailing behind. It’s like you’re setting a new standard for being in last place. Truly groundbreaking!
Go Away Power GIF

I feel like the only person here who doesn’t care at all about being marketed to. The games aren’t going to be better or come out sooner because Sony put out a big commercial for them.
Yeah.
You have to be insane to think that announcing games is better than releasing games. IGN made a crazy article where they basically said this, that is good that PS5 had some hits recently but they don't have anything to cheer for lol

Ah yes, MS showed games that will mostly, maybe even all, be coming to PS5. Bravo. No matter how many positive articles MS continues to pay for, things won't change. The PS5 will continue to outsell the XSX 3:1.

The astroturfing didn't work for the XBO and its not going to work for the XSX. Or their next console, if they choose to give it another foolish go with no change to their management or multiplat plans.

fallingdove

the last doom was also already on ps, that would be them "removing" games from a platform, wake me when an existing XBOX franchise launches simultaneously on PS please!!!!!
What’s an Xbox franchise? Something homegrown that they didn’t get through an acquisition?

Soooo Forza, Crackdown, and Fable?

Last edited:

Perrott

I think the big sign that Sony is being lazy is 3rd party marketing contracts. 1P always depends on readiness etc, so you're not always gonna be able to reliably have 1P bangers every showcase, but to not have any appealing 3rd party marketing contracts is egregious.

You look at the show yesterday, and quickly realize that there is no real reason Sony couldn't get the marketing contract for Expedition 33 or Atomfall for example. Metal Gear Solid Delta had it's initial reveal on a State of Play, yet somehow they don't get the gameplay trailer?
Expedition 33 and Atomfall... really? Why would Sony want to sign marketing agreements with generic fantasy and post-apocalyptic games made by a no-name indie studio (Expedition 33) and a mediocre studio such as Rebellion (Atomfall)? If anything, Sony should actually avoid getting involved with such titles, as some of the most critized aspects about their Showcase last year and the latest State of Play were the inclusion of random, generic games that are not aligned with the image of the PlayStation brand. Also, the only reason why Microsoft even got themselves in bed with those titles was because they were cheap as hell gets for Game Pass, given the low-profile of the studios behind them.

Now, in regards to Sony's third-party strategy, I find it absurd that you're complaining about it when the arguably biggest third-party title shown across all the events from the last few weeks, Monster Hunter Wilds, was first featured in the May 30th State of Play as the result of Sony's strong partnership with Capcom going all the way back to the mid 2010s. On top of that, they have a timed exclusivity agreement for the Silent Hill 2 remake, which was also featured in the State of Play; Phantom Blade Zero, which closed the Summer Game Fest, is also coming exclusively to PS5 and PC at launch; and just four months ago, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth from Square Enix was released exclusively on PS5, as did Final Fantasy XVI exactly a year ago; not to mention how the second teaser for Judas from BioShock creator Ken Levine was shown during the State of Play in January.

And you're saying Sony doesn't have any strong and appealing third-party relationships?

kungfuian

Seems pretty simple from an optics perspective; despite Sony's new approach to marketing, during this time of year gamers still expect some form of traditionally held conferences.

Microsoft being the only one doing one gives them a nice brand uptick because their competitor isn't showing us jack shit. The media hates this because they don't have the spectacle of an E3 like conference competition to report on and 'hardcore' gamers feel ripped off because Sony stopped giving them E3 Christmas presents once a year.

I'd imagine 3rd parties have to be equally bummed, because Sony no longer having a stage means they don't either. One way or the other, they need a place to showcase their games, and if Microsoft's show is the only game in town, then they 'win' by default. If Sony wont offer a show then Microsoft gets the initial marketing with the games shown being associated with their platform.

That said, while Microsoft being the only one with a conference does pose some risks for Sony from a temporary marketing stand point, at least with hardcore gamers and media types, it might not be as much as you think. Sony are obviously aware of these things, you can bet your ass they have spread sheets somewhere with a cost/benefit analysis on this shit. It sucks for us, I personally hate it, but they have clearly determined that putting tons of games in a single show is just less effective than marketing them apart from each other and much closer to release.

Despite the temporary 'win' for Microsoft, Sony maybe the smart ones in all this if the numbers are anything to go by. They seem to be killing it as far as hardware sales are concerned and their first party games have blown up in recent years compared to prior gens. Plus we all know that 90% of the games shown at Microsoft's event will also be on PlayStation, so the event is almost free marketing for Sony. Microsoft pays for the marketing for both their own multiplat games, and their partners games, but the in the end the games ultimately sell more on Sony's platform.

Still wish we had a better road map of what they are working but they have clearly gone the route of Nintendo. I sadly think that ship has sailed.

Do these people not realise that most of Xbox's output is coming to ps5 and the third party stuff is, too?

Sony had a conference without having to spend a dime.
Do you not realise that Microsoft have actually won here, you seriously don’t see it? Do you actually believe that selling the most hardware is what matters here? It matters to a degree for brand name purposes, so Xbox just said fuck it, we will launch in YOUR platforms, triple our fanbase and skip the hard work while you do the rest of the work.

I mean, you guys literally don’t see what’s happening here. You guys said fuck you Xbox were not coming to you, so Xbox said fuck you back and came to YOU instead.

Xbox literally just tapped in to Sonys market share without even having to beat them with hardware. The tools in here still actually believe selling the hardware matters. Why does it matter when people already have the hardware you launch on? Pure profit as long as the games do well.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
LOL this is so juvenile.

"Gimme me more marketing in very specific formats! Or else!"
They have zero AAA first party games coming out this year.

They had one last year.

They had 3 the year before but all were last Gen.

It is more than just complaining about e3 showcases. The games and studios that made So many gamers fans of PlayStation have become rarer than a solar eclipse.

Perrott

It's been tough. Almost nothing I want to play from them. PS4 was killing at this point in the life cycle.
At this exact point in time inthe PS4 lifecycle we were bummed to have learned at E3 2017 that God of War, Detroit, Shadow of the Colossus, Days Gone and Spider-Man weren't coming out until 2018 at the earliest; and had only the half-assed Gran Turismo Sport, the smaller-scale Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Everybody's Golf (for the three people that cared) and Knack II (lol) for the rest of the year.

Talking strictly in terms of lineup from a corporate point of view, I'd say Concord, Astro Bot, LEGO Horizon Adventures, Horizon: Zero Dawn remake, Gravity Rush 2 remaster and Until Dawn remake constitute a stronger first-party holiday lineup, especially when considering that PS5 already has a superior, full-package Gran Turismo game in its library, which the PS4 didn't have back then.

This take is thrown around in this site a ton and I don't get it all. A new gears was just announced and It seems overwhelming positive and I don't see anyone bitching about the coalitions timetable. The last gears released nearly a full year before NDs last project in TLoU 2.

Like I could understand if ND had some crazy timetable here but them releasing a game in 2025 or 2026 isn't abnormal from game releases from 99% of AAA devs today.

Even other popular studios from Sony in GG and SSM have already released games this gen. I'm not too thrilled about the cross gen stuff but it seems kind of crazy that people bitch about that nonstop. Kinda feel like those games are what they are, not like just making them for PS5 only is gonna magically take them to the next level.

PlayStation in 2018: "This industry is quickly becoming about big IP single player that can sell 20m and monster GAAS. All hands on deck!"

XBox in 2024: "Here's Avowed, South of Midnight, Expedition 33, Perfect Dark..."

People ignoring a Bay of Pigs scale blunder in gaming right now. Thread will be hilarious to reread in 18 months.

Not exactly an appreciable differentiator considering Call of Dutys relationship to PlayStation.
So much cope lol

PeteBull

They have zero AAA first party games coming out this year.

They had one last year.

They had 3 the year before but all were last Gen.

It is more than just complaining about e3 showcases. The games and studios that made So many gamers fans of PlayStation have become rarer than a solar eclipse.
Lets see what ps5 owner had to play vs xbox owner last few months even, ofc AAA only, not some indie shit:
ps5- ff16, stellar blade, ff7rebirth, helldivers(that last one on pc, but majorly succesful)
xbox- hellblade2 and starfield, forza motorsport(all 3 play much better on pc lol;p)

And about AAA game, already one coming- 6th september so in under 3 months

On top remember we gonna get ps5pr0 reveal event in september, with more games shown then :)

Personally i dont have any current gen console but only feel itch to get ps5(pr0), and 0 for xbox simply coz of no exclusive games at all, not even talking high quality/appealing exclusives, xbox got none simply, 0 fricken exclusive games, so its like ur 800 $ pc but with 0 upgrade ability and access to only tiny portion of games
Here such pc btw https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kjBbMV

And thats how games look/run on it

Last edited:

Zheph

Lets see what ps5 owner had to play vs xbox owner last few months even, ofc AAA only, not some indie shit:
ps5- ff16, stellar blade, ff7rebirth, helldivers(that last one on pc, but majorly succesful)
xbox- hellblade2 and starfield, forza motorsport(all 3 play much better on pc lol;p)

And about AAA game, already one coming- 6th september so in under 3 months

On top remember we gonna get ps5pr0 reveal event in september, with more games shown then :)

Personally i dont have any current gen console but only feel itch to get ps5(pr0), and 0 for xbox simply coz of no exclusive games at all, not even talking high quality/appealing exclusives, xbox got none simply, 0 fricken exclusive games, so its like ur 800 $ pc but with 0 upgrade ability and access to only tiny portion of games
Here such pc btw https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kjBbMV

And thats how games look/run on it

He just cares about graphical showcase so it doesn't matter how many great games there is on ps5

What really happened: 360 was the best console two gens ago then Xbox held their Xbox one reveal and people rioted at the always online and no game sharing thing. Sony brilliantly did the opposite and put out the Yoshida video with the other dude just passing a game to the other that went viral and then everyone jumped back on Sony’s 🍆 for Ps4. Then Xbox delivered their worst console yet in terms of games catalog and Playstation delivered their best since Ps2. Now everyone wants to act like Xbox is irrelevant and 360 never happened. Anyways im yapping. Competition is good. All 3 major console makers are great and its good microsoft has gone all in on gaming again. Steel sharpens steel. I think thats how that saying goes. Bye.

salva

What’s an Xbox franchise? Something homegrown that they didn’t get through an acquisition?

Soooo Forza, Crackdown, and Fable?
can't you say the same with most franchises on all platforms? E.g.:
  • Spider-man: Sony purchased Insomniac ~2018?
  • TLOU: Sony purchased Naughty Dog... whenever that was..?

Alan Wake

Competition is good. Xbox doing well, will send this kind of message to the market leader.

Sony needs to step up

They need this to translate into sales too, which they've been unable to. Tbh it's not the first good showcase the've had in recent years but sales are falling through the roof.

People still don't understand that Xbox is a gamepass machine the value comes from gamepass.
U will pay 70 dollars for bo6 whereas it will be day 1 on gp
Before anyone comes and says is gp free
Most of us subbed 3 years with the 1 dollar trick back then for me personally it was 120 dollars and its still good till 2026
That's where the value comes from .
I'm all up for all games on all platforms but u will pay 140 for bo6 and doom darkages whereas they come on gp for me.

PeteBull

People still don't understand that Xbox is a gamepass machine the value comes from gamepass.
U will pay 70 dollars for bo6 whereas it will be day 1 on gp
Before anyone comes and says is gp free
Most of us subbed 3 years with the 1 dollar trick back then for me personally it was 120 dollars and its still good till 2026
That's where the value comes from .
I'm all up for all games on all platforms but u will pay 140 for bo6 and doom darkages whereas they come on gp for me.
PC has gamepass too, and way more games, high quality ones, on top, including former playstation exclusives.
And it can be upgraded aka u dont like fps/res/rt capability of ur current rig- u can make it perform much better.
Cheaper games coz on pc u arent forced to ms store only, and like i said even value proposition isnt that great coz 800$ pc is already on xbox series x lvl in every possible way.

To me, and many others xbox literally lost its value, long gone are the days of og xbox/x360 where u actually were "forced" to buy it coz u simply needed to play those exclusive games(i say it as og xbox owner btw, duke controller rocked for ppl like us, with gorrilla hands especially comparing to tiny ps1/2 controllers ;D).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They need this to translate into sales too, which they've been unable to. Tbh it's not the first good showcase the've had in recent years but sales are falling through the roof.

That's why their games are going multiplatform. Microsoft can't hold a gun to people's heads and force them to buy an Xbox. As long as they keep delivering games, and let's be honest they need to be really great games after the last few blunders...then I'm happy.

Not being funny but playstation seems to be shit this generation, where's Uncharted why are they so woke where's the great showcasesas there too up themselves, it's why it's vital that Xbox is getting there shit together I sold my series x last year but that showcase gears of war e day there turning things around this year gonna be very tempting to buy an Xbox what's playstation got just Astro Bot which I will buy day one should've been PSVR2 though playstation has become boring woke and no signs of changing they need to wake the fuck up get Shawn Layden back or someone decent Hulst sucks.

PeteBull

Not being funny but playstation seems to be shit this generation, where's Uncharted why are they so woke where's the great showcasesas there too up themselves, it's why it's vital that Xbox is getting there shit together I sold my series x last year but that showcase gears of war e day there turning things around this year gonna be very tempting to buy an Xbox what's playstation got just Astro Bot which I will buy day one should've been PSVR2 though playstation has become boring woke and no signs of changing they need to wake the fuck up get Shawn Layden back or someone decent Hulst sucks.
Bro, microsoft is just as woke if not more vs playstation, there is a reason u sold ur series X, its not needed currently, and u kept ur ps5 coz u got high quality exclusive games on it/more coming.
Astro Bot couldnt be VR coz psvr2 bombed hard, and game is full fledged AAA 70$ experience, it has to sell 5m+ copies at the least, which means ps5 market, not vr market.

Here more info on sales for comparision https://www.inverse.com/gaming/playstation-psvr-2-console-vr so not even 2m instal base, compared to 59m of ps5 as of may 2024 aka only 1m below ps4 at same point of life https://www.gameinformer.com/news/2...lls-short-of-target-after-crossing-59-million

Last edited:
PC has gamepass too, and way more games, high quality ones, on top, including former playstation exclusives.
And it can be upgraded aka u dont like fps/res/rt capability of ur current rig- u can make it perform much better.
Cheaper games coz on pc u arent forced to ms store only, and like i said even value proposition isnt that great coz 800$ pc is already on xbox series x lvl in every possible way.

To me, and many others xbox literally lost its value, long gone are the days of og xbox/x360 where u actually were "forced" to buy it coz u simply needed to play those exclusive games(i say it as og xbox owner btw, duke controller rocked for ppl like us, with gorrilla hands especially comparing to tiny ps1/2 controllers ;D).
PC is just a hassle , drivers , windows , and other bullshit tinkering also for 400 500 dollars a PC can't even hold a candle against a series x.
Maybe if u work and used to computer gaming but for an older guy like me I love playing games from couch without any bullshit of oc tweaking.
I mean if u have unlimited money u might as well get a 4090 series x and a PS5 and there is no point of this discussion but if ur on a budget I'll always take a series x with a gp subscription

DAHGAMING

Playstation mandem so loyal I respect it, always wanting the mighty Microsoft Xbox games on PS, now there out here dressed in black grieving, laying flowers and shit. I dont see posts about the Xbox militia greiving, praying ect over here we respect you boys have got some top games and we act like gentlemen, throw up a salute to you PS warlords and make the purchase of a PS to play your games. Theres some nice new variations of the Xbox Series S/X coming end of the year, so I suggest if you wana play some E-Day you better cough up and pay 💪💪💪.

Zheph

Playstation mandem so loyal I respect it, always wanting the mighty Microsoft Xbox games on PS, now there out here dressed in black grieving, laying flowers and shit. I dont see posts about the Xbox militia greiving, praying ect over here we respect you boys have got some top games and we act like gentlemen, throw up a salute to you PS warlords and make the purchase of a PS to play your games. Theres some nice new variations of the Xbox Series S/X coming end of the year, so I suggest if you wana play some E-Day you better cough up and pay 💪💪💪.
I'll come to the xbox gym bruv

PeteBull

PC is just a hassle , drivers , windows , and other bullshit tinkering also for 400 500 dollars a PC can't even hold a candle against a series x.
Maybe if u work and used to computer gaming but for an older guy like me I love playing games from couch without any bullshit of oc tweaking.
I mean if u have unlimited money u might as well get a 4090 series x and a PS5 and there is no point of this discussion but if ur on a budget I'll always take a series x with a gp subscription
U got gamepass on pc too and about drivers, only thing u do is super ez few minutes time every few weeks automatic graphics driver update and windows update(again its all semi automatic, u got updates on console too, thats not more difficult at all on pc either) and thats basically it, no need for any tinkering or even play with mouse+kb, im using ps4 controller here for years and had 0 problems.
Its not like 80s/90s/early 2ks where u had to be somewhat techsavy to game on pc, nowadays its super intuitive and doesnt differ much from current gen console.

Last edited:

MonkD

Well, Sony showed one game that is greater than all of Microsoft's put together.

Concord is going to break the industry. Imagine a hero shooter where all of the characters are acting as if they're from a James Gunn sci-fi. How can it not succeed when it checks all of the boxes that the market analyst told them was popular right before development started (6 years ago).

Trend chasing is always the way to go. Suicide Squad will definitely get more than 4 seasons, right?

mitch1971

Gold Member
Do you not realise that Microsoft have actually won here, you seriously don’t see it? Do you actually believe that selling the most hardware is what matters here? It matters to a degree for brand name purposes, so Xbox just said fuck it, we will launch in YOUR platforms, triple our fanbase and skip the hard work while you do the rest of the work.

I mean, you guys literally don’t see what’s happening here. You guys said fuck you Xbox were not coming to you, so Xbox said fuck you back and came to YOU instead.

Xbox literally just tapped in to Sonys market share without even having to beat them with hardware. The tools in here still actually believe selling the hardware matters. Why does it matter when people already have the hardware you launch on? Pure profit as long as the games do well.
Anchorman GIF

What you quoting me for? lol

M1987

E-Day probably isn't coming out until next gen

Alan Wake

That's why their games are going multiplatform. Microsoft can't hold a gun to people's heads and force them to buy an Xbox. As long as they keep delivering games, and let's be honest they need to be really great games after the last few blunders...then I'm happy.
Sure, and it's obviously their strategy moving forward. But that means that "Xbox exclusive" will not mean much in the future. They'll become a big third party publisher with their own platform for Game Pass and maybe a few exclusive titles (at least at launch). The money will be made elsewhere, on other platforms.

GHound

Gold Member
Shawn Layden is one of the wokies. You want Andrew House back.

Edit: Forgot to mention but Shawn Layden was also never head of SIE.

Last edited:
U got gamepass on pc too and about drivers, only thing u do is super ez few minutes time every few weeks automatic graphics driver update and windows update(again its all semi automatic, u got updates on console too, thats not more difficult at all on pc either) and thats basically it, no need for any tinkering or even play with mouse+kb, im using ps4 controller here for years and had 0 problems.
Its not like 80s/90s/early 2ks where u had to be somewhat techsavy to game on pc, nowadays its super intuitive and doesnt differ much from current gen console.
Again mate not arguing with u , but it's all inconvenient for a guy who doesn't own and use a PC , who just wants to sit on his , couch and relax while playing games.
Every other port on PC is a bad port , shit tons of cheaters , and again the inconveniece of windows , drivers and not dealing with it is why I prefer a series x.
And more so for 400 dollars u can't build a PC that can compete with a series x
Now don't post links of used PC parts in justifying u can make a PC in 400 dollars that can compete with a series x

Top Bottom