• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is Fool for Not Giving DREAMS The Attention it Deserves

Are you still dreaming?

• Total voters

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I feel that Dreams is not giving the attention it deserves! .. many players see it as a unique game and do things in a cute way ..well hell no it's a wrong description

For what I experienced I will tell you what is Dreams :

It's a GODDAMN CONSOLE WITH ITS GAMES NO TRANSACTION NO PATCHES NO MORE ASKING COMPANIES FOR REMAKE .. YOU CAN MAKE OR PLAY GAMES THAT YOU WON'T SEE IN A REAL CONSOLE OUT THERE ..
YOU CAN PUT YOUR OWN WORLD SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD ..

GAMES MADE IN DREAMS SOME ARE EVEN BETTER THAN THE ONES MADE BY STUDIOS OUT THERE !

Sony is fool for not putting much effort to show the world this well made Game , they are focusing on some dumb shooting games and battle royal shit

So .. why playstation did nothing for Dreams in terms of commercials?

This creative team at Mm they deserve an award man for their work on Dreams .. I never saw anything like it

vivftp

I feel that Dreams is not giving the attention it deserves! .. many players see it as a unique game and do things in a cute way ..well hell no it's a wrong description

For what I experienced I will tell you what is Dreams :

It's a GODDAMN CONSOLE WITH ITS GAMES NO TRANSACTION NO PATCHES NO MORE ASKING COMPANIES FOR REMAKE .. YOU CAN MAKE OR PLAY GAMES THAT YOU WON'T SEE IN A REAL CONSOLE OUT THERE ..
YOU CAN PUT YOUR OWN WORLD SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD ..

GAMES MADE IN DREAMS SOME ARE EVEN BETTER THAN THE ONES MADE BY STUDIOS OUT THERE !

Sony is fool for not putting much effort to show the world this well made Game , they are focusing on some dumb shooting games and battle royal shit

This creative team at Mm they deserve an award man for their work on Dreams .. I never saw anything like it

lol, Dreams isn't like a typical game that's heavily front loaded on marketing. It's a platform in its own right that will see a continuous marketing push. Dreams isn't the sort of thing you can jam into a 30 second commercial to easily sell to the masses who have no clue what it is. That's a very tough thing to do because this is unlike anything that came before it. Media Molecule themselves have admitted how unique it is to get the message across what Dreams is and they're quite happy with the support Sony has given them.

So far they've had multiple showings on State of Plays and stage shows, they had their Impy awards, had a 1 year early access (something PlayStation doesn't really do normally), and have a sizable social media push. Not every game will get the God of War or Spider-Man treatment with commercials, billboards, trailers before movies and at sporting events. It's not fair to expect that from Sony for every game, they have to plan their marketing to their expectations of each game. Like I said though, Dreams is in a unique position where it isn't a normal game with a front-loaded marketing push, we'll be hearing about it for months and for years to come. It'll continue to grow as a platform and if it REALLY takes off then don't be surprised if we do wind up seeing some ads and billboards for it.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Dreams is a community driven platform that needs to sell itself by word of mouth.

Besides, every time Sony and MM tried to do some kind of promo, how little it may have been, we had the gaming community whining about what Dreams actually was supposed to be and why it was taking so long.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
What kind of shitty game you've been playing?

Honest question.

I play great games but everyone in this life either face a shitty person or a shitty game ... that's why I said SOME .. and it's my opinion not talking for the players here

If you could try one of the games in Dreams you will know what I'm talking about

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
lol, Dreams isn't like a typical game that's heavily front loaded on marketing. It's a platform in its own right that will see a continuous marketing push. Dreams isn't the sort of thing you can jam into a 30 second commercial to easily sell to the masses who have no clue what it is. That's a very tough thing to do because this is unlike anything that came before it. Media Molecule themselves have admitted how unique it is to get the message across what Dreams is and they're quite happy with the support Sony has given them.

So far they've had multiple showings on State of Plays and stage shows, they had their Impy awards, had a 1 year early access (something PlayStation doesn't really do normally), and have a sizable social media push. Not every game will get the God of War or Spider-Man treatment with commercials, billboards, trailers before movies and at sporting events. It's not fair to expect that from Sony for every game, they have to plan their marketing to their expectations of each game. Like I said though, Dreams is in a unique position where it isn't a normal game with a front-loaded marketing push, we'll be hearing about it for months and for years to come. It'll continue to grow as a platform and if it REALLY takes off then don't be surprised if we do wind up seeing some ads and billboards for it.

Well said

And what exactly is the power of the Xbox Series X? ........Oh yeah I forgot know one really knows.

Why so serious? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I am a diehard PS fanboy who will never get an Xbox Series X (unless that can play all PS5 games :p).
Whatever Sony releases I will get that, though perhaps not right at launch.

DESTROYA

Why so serious? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I am a diehard PS fanboy who will never get an Xbox Series X (unless that can play all PS5 games :p).
Whatever Sony releases I will get that, though perhaps not right at launch.
If you know me that’s the last thing you would call me, if it was a joke it was poorly executed. (y)

Aion002

I play great games but everyone in this life either face a shitty person or a shitty game ... that's why I said SOME .. and it's my opinion not talking for the players here

If you could try one of the games in Dreams you will know what I'm talking about
I have dreams since the day it was available.

It's good game/tool.... but the creations are just slices of games.... they are fun for a couple of minutes but that's it.

I enjoy him a lot and I hope that it gets bigger, but in no way those slices are even close to a game developed by a serious studio (I am not including those shovelware games)....

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I have dreams since the day it was available.

It's good game/tool.... but the creations are just slices of games.... they are fun for a couple of minutes but that's it.

I enjoy him a lot and I hope that it gets bigger, but in no way those slices are even close to a game developed by a serious studio (I am not including those shovelware games)....

That's why I say some man .. I'm not comparing Dreams creations to big games made by a studio.. but there are shitty games you know out there it depends on your taste .. I found some In dreams are well made with much fun ..

Me and my family were playing last night and the joy we had and the fun hasn't been found in some games made by studios ..

As I said its an opinion

Inviusx

How would you market it? It will have an extremely dedicated following of fans but IMHO it doesn't really have mainstream appeal like LBP did.

See that’s funny!

its-all-part-1mmcsu.jpg

Sorry, getting off-topic now. lol

Shmunter

I’d like to see a fully fledged cinematic platformer, akin to Another World, Inside, etc.

The thing about dreams is its value proposition increases daily as more content gets made. Will pickup ASAP.

Tiamat2san

I don’t know.
I see the hype around this game for some people.
I watch vidéos of the best « amazing » contents created by the best of the best of artists gamers ...
PT?
Meh.... yeah it’s a corridor with some of the design of PT but that’s it.

Saw the Star Wars stuffs, crash bandicoot, metal gear ones too.

Some original creations too...
Well I won’t dream about it.

It’s a niche game. You can’t mass market that.
Maybe I’ll reconsider if they expand the materials you work with.
Realistic textures, things you can scan and import to create really believable characters etc.

Koopatrol

Sony has always had problems with marketing. They've had the same problem since PS3, where they released Resistance 3 with very little marketing and we have not gotten another Resistance game since. And R3 had a great campaign too, but it's kinda long forgotten about when people discuss PS3 games.

That being said, Sony allowed MM to develop this game for basically the entirety of the PS4 gen. They obviously have faith in the game. I'm thankful that Sony didn't cancel the game, given how they've handled some of their studios (RIP Studio Liverpool). But maybe we'll see some marketing picking up for it NOW that it's finally out. I could also see them putting this game on PC to expand the audience.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Aside from the hardcore content creators, this kind of game doesn't appeal to most people and Sony never puts in much effort for promoting games like LBP or this.

I find it amazing that in the internet age, large companies don't put up tons of online marketing. I can understand not going through hoops and costs of traditional media like TV and bus stop posters as that's meant for more mainstream products.

But large companies can't find a small team of people to do digital pushes?

If they don't want to spend money on banner ads and doing game site deals, you can still do tons of Twitter, PS dashboard promos, main website promos, tons of free videos for game sites to upload.

Last edited:
Im in the group of people who will watch the awesome stuff on youtube and be content. I just dont know why you spend the time learning/perfecting this engine rather than an engine/program thatll help you in the real world.

It's a niche product that might still do well. It's a hard sell and you should enjoy that Sony actually greenlit this project instead of demanding it to be something it's clearly not designed for.

Rolla

Banned
I agree.

They did the same with Until Dawn. I'm not sure how they allocate budgets but even a socail media awareness campaign would have been better than nothing. I wonder what the conversation is like between SIE and MM if the sales are not spectacular.

MM: We got 9/10's across the board.
SIE: It didn't sell enough

?

Saber

Gold Member

I'm gonna risk a guess that they might want to be low profile because people might create good games(or joke games) and other companies might hunt them, thanks to dick suckers who goes reporting games over the internet.

fallingdove

its 91 on metacritic and the game is 8 years old for development.. I think Sony should do better now

I think it still needs some more time with the community before Sony goes all out on a big Dreams marketing campaign.

Sony should make the game free with the PS5 and highlight all of the amazing things the community have been polishing for a couple years.

Arkage

Banned
In one of the viddocs the devs say they want to be able to give creators the ability to monitize. I can see this being a dev engine in it's own right on PC and PS4/5, to a much wider swath of people since you will no longer need to know how to code to make a good game.

That being said, I'm sure most content will be indie level, and the market is already stuffed to the brim with indies fighting for scraps. Hard to say how this will go.

OrionNebula

Read the Eurogamer interview. You’ll see that Sony gave MM a LOT of rope to make this game happen (dev even says perhaps Sony gave them too much rope, as they pretty much re-started the project in 2015)

It’s the kind of title that you suddenly see commercials a few weeks after the release where half the trailer is just screens plastered with praises, rave reviews and crapload of ‘’10/10’’, ‘’9,5/10’’ and ‘’A Must Play’’ all over

It’s just not the kind of game you push down throats like a CoD title In the holiday season. It’s a kind of title that explodes out of nowhere for the casual to semi-serious gamer. Let the critics and excellent word of mouth draw you in

Codes 208

Sony aint no helicopter parent, this is the same company that let the vita out and cut support in less than two years.

Kagey K

Banned
It was in Beta for so long that maybe even Sony forgot it was releasing or assumed everyone who cared about it knew about it already.

Or perhaps the prison system didn’t adopt it as quickly as they would have liked and it didn’t help reform all the prisoners another user suggested to me it was going to.

Either way, if there was a definition of a game sent to die, this would be it.

Shin

Banned
Dreams is not a game but a creativity tool/engine and that is how it's being perceived I believe (thread on GAF by the dozens).
You call Sony a fool for not wanting to cut their own finger, think about this long and hard as to why they want customers to buy games.
Poor post and misinformed user all while you're an active PlayStation fan/gamer, I'm not but I do follow gaming news and development as a whole.

Top Bottom