• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is Fool for Not Giving DREAMS The Attention it Deserves

Are you still dreaming?

• Total voters

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Dreams is not a game but a creativity tool/engine and that is how it's being perceived I believe (thread on GAF by the dozens).
You call Sony a fool for not wanting to cut their own finger, think about this long and hard as to why they want customers to buy games.
Poor post and misinformed user all while you're an active PlayStation fan/gamer, I'm not but I do follow gaming news and development as a whole.

Misinformed ! .. look if you want to call it poor post that's ok its ur opinion I'm not complaining, but I'm not misinforming anyone and my point was all about the advertising before the game launches ,I'm not talking about the after, and seeing that news you posted it makes me happy now but still my point is about commercials and advertising before release

That's it man

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I feel that Dreams is not giving the attention it deserves! .. many players see it as a unique game and do things in a cute way ..well hell no it's a wrong description

For what I experienced I will tell you what is Dreams :

It's a GODDAMN CONSOLE WITH ITS GAMES NO TRANSACTION NO PATCHES NO MORE ASKING COMPANIES FOR REMAKE .. YOU CAN MAKE OR PLAY GAMES THAT YOU WON'T SEE IN A REAL CONSOLE OUT THERE ..
YOU CAN PUT YOUR OWN WORLD SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD ..

GAMES MADE IN DREAMS SOME ARE EVEN BETTER THAN THE ONES MADE BY STUDIOS OUT THERE !

Sony is fool for not putting much effort to show the world this well made Game , they are focusing on some dumb shooting games and battle royal shit

So .. why playstation did nothing for Dreams in terms of commercials?

This creative team at Mm they deserve an award man for their work on Dreams .. I never saw anything like it
Dude, they gave Media Molecule another five years to make the game fun after it was already feature complete. How can you say nonsense like they aren't giving it enough attention?

darkinstinct

Im in the group of people who will watch the awesome stuff on youtube and be content. I just dont know why you spend the time learning/perfecting this engine rather than an engine/program thatll help you in the real world.
That's the gist of it, yes. It would be much better if they had taken something like UE3, put their own layer of tools on top, so you can not only export everything to other platforms, but also build skills you can apply to UE4 in general. And it should have had keyboard and mouse support from day 1. That's its biggest failure, there's no reason not to have it (aside from wanting to sell overpriced Move controllers). The controls are actively killing any creative drive I have.

thelastword

Banned
Dreams is a community driven platform that needs to sell itself by word of mouth.

Besides, every time Sony and MM tried to do some kind of promo, how little it may have been, we had the gaming community whining about what Dreams actually was supposed to be and why it was taking so long.
Indeed dreams will sell itself.....Anybody remember how rocket league took off......All I knew that it was was a game on PLUS and boom......Dreams is nto the same like rocket league, but it's advantage it will grow with content and creators......The tools are good, the reviews are great, the word of mouth will spread...People will see it somewhere, in a youtube video, a billboard, a poster on a train and say, that exists? and they will enquire...….This is how dreams will go. Sony does not need to do a superbowl ad or la liga ads to sell dreams....

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Indeed dreams will sell itself.....Anybody remember how rocket league took off......All I knew that it was was a game on PLUS and boom......Dreams is nto the same like rocket league, but it's advantage it will grow with content and creators......The tools are good, the reviews are great, the word of mouth will spread...People will see it somewhere, in a youtube video, a billboard, a poster on a train and say, that exists? and they will enquire...….This is how dreams will go. Sony does not need to do a superbowl ad or la liga ads to sell dreams....

well said sir ..

and respect to all users who posted with respect and make it clear for me .. I just thought Sony will make big advertising like what it did to some exclusives

Aion002

He obviously meant it as a metaphor mate
No he didn't and I understood his point later. He got more enjoyment out of Dreams slices than some games.... I misunderstood as overall quality or depth.

And honestly... thinking about it, I enjoy playing Dreams more than something like the Division 2 or Mass Effect Andromeda, so he is right.

darkinstinct

Rocket League took off because it was given away for free. It's basically the same thing Game Pass does, create word of mouth which leads to sales (mostly on other platforms, though). Dreams will suffer the same fate as every MM game before, end up in the garbage bin and priced at $5 after a year. It would do much better if it was actually given away for free and monetize in a different way (like paying people to use their creations in your own games, then asking your players for a few bucks). At the end of the day, Dreams is just another Media Molecule engine. And the majority has realized by now that they have no interest in being creative and that 99 % of the creative content in games like LBP are pure shit. Dreams has to deal with that history. It won't set sales records. It will just die a slow death.

near

Gold Member
Dreams is hard to market and hard to explain, the marketing push for this long term if it has any legs will come through word of mouth. LBP had sackboy to leverage an angle to market it, Dreams doesn't.

joe_zazen

Dreams is hard to market and hard to explain, the marketing push for this long term if it has any legs will come through word of mouth. LBP had sackboy to leverage an angle to market it, Dreams doesn't.

what has sony done with LBP? Honest question.

near

Gold Member
what has sony done with LBP? Honest question.

LBPs marketing wasn't any better by any means but it was an easier sell since I remember it being marketed as a innovative platformer with tools and Sackboy was the mascot.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Obviously great game, this is not even a question. I'm a big Dreams fan, if you look at Nintendo they got everything invested in Mario Maker. Remember Halo Forge? Bungie got lucky with that.

SONY shouldn't bail on Dreams, a lot of life in the game.

I think it still needs some more time with the community before Sony goes all out on a big Dreams marketing campaign.

Sony should make the game free with the PS5 and highlight all of the amazing things the community have been polishing for a couple years.
Wouldn't that screw over those that bought the game?

chinoXL

I would love to see some actual ideas of how Sony could do a tv plug for this game that could show the depth this game tool has to offer. If they did a commercial I think it would leave ppl with more questions than answers. For the game to be given as much dev time as it’s gotten, speaks volumes on Sony’s end

Elysion

Banned
Here‘s what I said in the other Dreams thread last month:

Anyone else think it was a mistake to make Dreams a new IP instead of continuing the LittleBigPlanet franchise? LBP as a franchise had huge potential, it still baffles me how little Sony did with it. With Sackboy they had an iconic figure they could’ve carried through future generations. If Dreams was part of the LBP franchise, and the story mode actually contained Sackboy, then no one would be confused about what Dreams actually is.

LBP’s aesthetics are very unique, and should have been continued (at least in story mode). They should’ve just called it LittleBigWorld, which is what people have been hoping for ever since the first LBP came out! The marketing would have written itself: Hey, it’s LBP, but now in a fully traversable 3d world! It could’ve been Sony’s answer to both Mario and Minecraft.

Instead we got this bizarre reveal at E3 2013 which left everyone confused. And instead of playing with Sackboy in a cool 3d world with iconic LBP aesthetics, we get three weird, disconnected campaigns. Overall I think it’s a huge missed opportunity.

LBP has to be the biggest missed opportunity in Sony‘s history. Why they let that IP die in favor of ‚Dreams‘, which is much less marketable, I‘ll never understand. Dreams should‘ve been called LittleBigWorld, and Sony should’ve outsourced the story mode to another studio (like the guys who made LBP3), and let MM focus on the creation tools.

fallingdove

Wouldn't that screw over those that bought the game?
I don’t see how it would. The PS5 is 8 months away. New players means more content for those that purchased it at launch.

As a Dreams owner, I would much rather it be included with the PS5 for free than for the community and community content to slowly dry up.

Charted no.8 in UK this week, but probably sells around ~1k at best since Kakarot managed to top the chart on the previous week with only 7K. 😥

jts

...hate me...
What they don't want you to know... if 2 many people buy Dreams then u don need to buy other games............becoz every game will be made in Dreams.......... help spread the TRUTH out there

Fight evil SONY. Buy DREAMS

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I feel like the vast majority of the sort of people who would be interested in Dreams, are aware of it. It was revealed 7 years ago.

The mass market is not interested in a game creation suite where you can try other people's projects. Be honest, as incredible as some of the stuff made in Dreams is, people aren't really playing them for fun, they're playing them to be amazed at what someone else made with the software.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Gamer's General people don't want middleware

If people wanted to make games, they would do it and actually make games
Most people want to play games, not create them

Yeah, Dreams is a cool idea, but game creation systems are kind of exactly the opposite of what people want
Trying to capture the mysticism of gaming like "Oh holy shit...check out this ground breaking shit we're doing..." is done and dead

Fuck, you can't even get people to read text on a screen, with a giant red arrow pointing to "THIS IS WRONG, WON'T ACCEPT UNTIL YOU FIX IT!" and this dev studio thinks a large audience is going to take the time to make shit like this?

VN1X

Banned
Didn't they show this at pretty much every other E3? Didn't their last E3 have segments/intermissions that were made in Dreams? As far as big exposure goes... E3 is pretty big attention no?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I really have no idea what this thing is. People say you can “make games” in it but then I see that Fallout 4 thing and think, yall didn’t make any of this, you just dragged assets from a game already made into this engine. So bizarre.

If they want to promote dreams they need to show off actually original creations. If this is just A way to play crappy bootleg versions of real games then nobody will care.

xrnzaaas

I really have no idea what this thing is. People say you can “make games” in it but then I see that Fallout 4 thing and think, yall didn’t make any of this, you just dragged assets from a game already made into this engine. So bizarre.

If they want to promote dreams they need to show off actually original creations. If this is just A way to play crappy bootleg versions of real games then nobody will care.
People are talking about that Fallout 4 project because everyone knows Fallout, it's going to be harder for truly original and creative projects to break through and become popular, much like in the "real" gaming market.

Birdo

Banned
This will probably be a good pick up a year from now in a sale.

By that time there will be much better content.

EMP88

Neophyte
Sony is not fool... stupid is the Best definition

And more with Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan is far more in touch with the PlayStation community than the previous US management.

He’s old school Sony who made the PS3 a roaring success in Europe. While the US division threw in the towel.

The fools are those that think Dreams should be marketed as a traditional game. It needs to be nurtured and built into a platform that serves PlayStation for the next decade or more. Maybe even used to discover the next great talents and innovative experiences.

Last edited:

azz0r

Banned
I went and bought it from Game today and it wasn't even out on the shelves. Usually new releases are behind the till and promoted at the entrance, it had nothing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
guys will you sub on my patreon?
i am trying to make grand theft auto 7

for 5 dollars a month you will have early access to my level

here is a sneak preview

Vawn

Banned
Calling Dreams a near endless supply of "free" games is worse than claiming GamePass is all you need. Quantity over quality. Most of the "games" on Dreams are worth messing around for 5 or 10 minutes max and pretty much nothing is the quality of actual published games.

It wont, rocket leauge was free with plus, and its a fun and addicting game you can pick up and play for a match or two with a friend, while dreams is just sonic OC techdemos that 95% of normal people have no interest in for more than an hour.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
They did the same thing with the Gravity rush games and Concrete Genie for some stupid reason.
Criminal actions from part of Sony... I have the compromiso ti get concrete genie
Jim Ryan is far more in touch with the PlayStation community than the previous US management.

He’s old school Sony who made the PS3 a roaring success in Europe. While the US division threw in the towel.

The fools are those that think Dreams should be marketed as a traditional game. It needs to be nurtured and built into a platform that serves PlayStation for the next decade or more. Maybe even used to discover the next great talents and innovative experiences.

Indeed but at least they should give more attention or marketing. And launch it for ps5.

darkinstinct

Calling Dreams a near endless supply of "free" games is worse than claiming GamePass is all you need. Quantity over quality. Most of the "games" on Dreams are worth messing around for 5 or 10 minutes max and pretty much nothing is the quality of actual published games.

Even in the more advanced Dreams games you easily fall through a floor a minute in and lose all interest. Or you have a driving game where you get stuck on a rock.

darkinstinct

No, they didn't, they modeled them from scratch within Dreams. That's why it's so cool.

Remember what we do with those mobile games that steal their art? Don't see why it should be any different with these. Creation is original work. Not copying what somebody else created. I've even seen some blatant copying of audio samples from movies. Lawyers love Dreams.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Remember what we do with those mobile games that steal their art? Don't see why it should be any different with these. Creation is original work. Not copying what somebody else created. I've even seen some blatant copying of audio samples from movies. Lawyers love Dreams.

They have a copyright form on their website: https://docs.indreams.me/en/help/copyright

They make it really easy to request removal of stuff if it infringes on anything, but because nobody's making money from their individual creations (or from outright copying existing material), I doubt lawyers are going to give a solitary shit about Dreams. It'd cost companies a lot of money to prevent people from... not making any money.

I could see it being a problem if/when people start uploading entire music albums for free or something like that, but how many people are realistically going to go to the trouble of repeatedly creating new PSN accounts just to upload albums and then get Dreams-banned?

jaysius

Banned
Dreams is Stone Soup the game.

What's next? Are we going to go on about RPG Maker?

Have you played Little Big Planet? The community starts out kind of strong, then it develops some people that clone the best content, the store gets filled with that trash. I can only imagine how awful it can be padded in 2020 with social media and voting trolls that just want a "lulz". LBP community had about a dozen good levels, and you could never find them because of the crappy curation (or lack there of) by Media Molecule. Dreams is almost certainly going to go the same way.

Little Big Planet campaigns were never all that good either, MM relied on the community to make it amazing.

Here's a spoiler for any REALLY promising Dreams "games" the developer will make a great proof of concept, get people excited, then they'll say "I need money! Use my patreon and I'll make more of this game!" people will give them money, then they'll quit less than half-way because they realize they should make a real game with real tools instead, leaving all the money givers high and dry.

Xenon

The biggest problem with these game creation titles is most of the best creators seem to be creating for other creators. Rather than well-designed games you get a lot of a look what I can do with these tools showcases. And a great many of them are just copies of existing things such as games, TV shows, anime, etc. Which brings up another problem, very few people actually put a lot of time into playing the levels. I've always considered them gaming tourists bouncing from one creation to the next enjoying things at a very superficial level. So levels that look good usually rise to the top regardless of content.

Back before free-to-play became a thing stuff like this makes sense you got to play a lot of games with a very small investment. But with the ability to download and try so many games it's really hard to justify spending your time in something like this. There is just so much else out there to play.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

They have a copyright form on their website: https://docs.indreams.me/en/help/copyright

They make it really easy to request removal of stuff if it infringes on anything, but because nobody's making money from their individual creations (or from outright copying existing material), I doubt lawyers are going to give a solitary shit about Dreams. It'd cost companies a lot of money to prevent people from... not making any money.

I could see it being a problem if/when people start uploading entire music albums for free or something like that, but how many people are realistically going to go to the trouble of repeatedly creating new PSN accounts just to upload albums and then get Dreams-banned?
But they are making money. The game is selling because it provides access to this content. And the copyright holders on the other hand HAVE to protect their rights by claiming strikes, otherwise they can lose their rights.

Top Bottom