• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th

G-Bus

Banned
Pretty sure I still have 6 months left on my sub but I think I'll get another year before the increase and then reevaluate when it's almost up.

Looking at that increase is a bit jarring but that's what... $3/month increase for extra.

Maybe not so bad.

Lupin25

33% price increase…

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
But what are we getting in return... another Showcase now would be the right response, let's see Factions 2, let's see what new IPs are coming, let's see Wolverine via development vlogs etc.

This allow Sony to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
A water heater that cost 12k?

I just bought and installed my electric one for $500.... What the.

I'm assuming commercial? Still sounds high lol.
Nah, a 40 gal for my condo here and m NY state. But.. mind you, here.. my very average 942 sq. Ft. 1 br apt with private basement goes for over $200k.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They got greedy. The first rule of increasing subscription prices is to do it gradually. You don't just go 33%. They should have said they were raising it a dollar a month and done a 12 dollar increase.

Aso curious that they said they will no longer report Playstation Plus numbers. Meaning they dont expect growth, perhaps they know alot of people will either unsub or switch to the cheapest tier.
I missed that part.

But you’re right. They know PS Subs will drop so they don’t want to show in any of their bar charts anymore they are getting smaller and smaller.

It’s already been doing poorly since the trend the past 2-3 years are flat or slightly decreasing subs already despite fast selling PS5s. So it shows gamers aren’t converting at the same or faster pace as PS5 sales. A 33% price increase will sink sub count BUT if the sales boost outweighs the count drop the overall profits may still go up. It all depends how much of an effect the price hike negatively affects resubs.

So going forward it looks like MS doing their occasional GP membership stats will provide more transparency than Sony doing no PS sub count updates.

Taking a page from armchair analysts, since Sony doesn’t want to divulge numbers anymore that means PS subs are unprofitable with bad sales.

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

Step 1. Remove goodwill free multiplayer (2013)
Step 2. Reduce functionality to tiers (2022)
Step 3. Increase subscription prices by $20 for no apparent reasons. (2023)
Step 4. Only Sell Digital SKU in future
Step 5. Market crash of (2028)
Step 6. backtrack and blame everyone else for your greediness.

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Cause increasing prices in a recession makes sense🤣

Last edited:

Unknown?

Agreed but this is way higher than inflation. Also, we’re at 3.18% here in the US at the moment. This is a bit of a money grab because even when inflation goes lower, they won’t lower the prices.
You believe those official numbers? It's total B.S. Even at 3%, it's unacceptable because inflation is compound. That's 3% on top of inflation years of inflation. At 2% it only takes 36 years for your currency to halve in value.

Gamerguy84

I'm good for a year and a half. Will re-evaluate this at that time. Probably step down one though. I don't need the PS1 streaming.

Gambit2483

Cancelled my subscription. The Market needs to send Sony a message. They have increased cost without ADDING VALUE. $80 for cloud saves a 3 shitty games no one wants? Nah..naahhh.

If the market doesn't respond they are going to think this is Acceptable and it will only get worse.

Crazy times when Nintendo's online service has more value for cost than Sony's does...

Last edited:

Hoppa

Yeah I won't be renewing. Increase for what? PS plus already sucks and the announcement of Saints Row makes it worse

Sorcerer

Wow!!! Not only at the price hike, with no perceptible benefit of any kind, but the fact they are giving everybody basically one week notice!!! You would think 3 months' notice at the very least. Insane!!!

Last edited:
Sony keeps upping the ante in terms of what they think they can get away with, I think this is the final straw. This will be a debacle that sees massive decrease in PS+ revenue, but senior management will spin it as "the economy is tough" rather than "our business decisions are absolute shit and pissing off the fanbase"

They better have an absolute banger showcase because the fans have had nothing but shit news for a while.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Once Starfield fades, Nintendo is going to come out looking like the good guy on the console side if they play their cards right. Right in time for the next system... For the rest it looks like they will stick with pc or jump ship to it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony keeps upping the ante in terms of what they think they can get away with, I think this is the final straw. This will be a debacle that seems massive decrease in PS+ revenue, but senior management will spin it as "the economy is tough" rather than "our business decisions are absolute shit and pissing off the fanbase"

They better have an absolute banger showcase because the fans have had nothing but shit news for a while.
Depends on the sub count.

For example, if the sub count drops 10%, but the remaining 90% pay 33% more each, it's still a net gainer in profit.

Dthomp

This is beyond frustrating without MASSIVE changes to PS+/Extra. Bare minimum should be bundling Crunchyroll into the service, but they need to heavily increase the quality of games for all the services. Regular+ needs to be a banger and 3 other titles (1 being VR) every month, Extra needs to be adding 1st party titles at a significantly better pace (Why is GT7 not there?) and for Premium, that classics library needs to be like 400x better and more filled then it is.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony keeps upping the ante in terms of what they think they can get away with, I think this is the final straw. This will be a debacle that seems massive decrease in PS+ revenue, but senior management will spin it as "the economy is tough" rather than "our business decisions are absolute shit and pissing off the fanbase"

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is coming in October, Marvel’s Wolverine, Faction 2, Stellar Blade, Goodbye Volcano High released yesterday, MGS3 Remake, Silent Hill 2, Fairgame$, Phantom Blade 0 and a lot more are coming too. Fans are eating well

If they're gonna increase the price of PlayStation Plus this much then they need to have better free game offerings then fucking Saints Row and a bunch of shitty indie games.

If MS wants to go for a massively competitive move, they’d make online multiplayer free

Imagine after they get Activision, you can now buy CoD for the same price as on PlayStation, but pay nothing to play online. Or you can play CoD via Gamepass

That’s the kinda shit Microsoft could pull and instantly snatch a ton of users to their platform imho. But it would likely force Sony to bend the knee and counter themselves. I hope Microsoft does it

theclaw135

Banned
It sounds bad and all, and it is bad, except most platforms with free online are even *worse*. PC online gaming was thrown to the wolves of rampant cheaters years ago.

I have PS EXTRA and am still asking myself why so was planning to go back to ESSENTIAL but still donno why Id be paying $80 to maybe once a year get 2-3 good games that I havent already played on PS+. Maybe im biased because I also have gamepass but lets just say that price hike doesnt make sense without them actually changing something as a service. If it stays as is, I donno what is happening with SONY, they are slowly getting back to the arrogant PS3 days.

sachos

Good thing i already bought a year of premium with a pretty big disscount. They have to massively improve the quality of their classics offering and emulation quality if they want to keep people subed to that thing.

Fredrik

I suggest everyone that is disgusted by this go ahead and cancel now so it doesn’t automatically renew so that Sony sees a flood of cancellations
Just cancelled my sub, ends early next year. Feels good tbh. The 1st party delays just trigger me to do the stupid waiting game instead of being there at the release when everybody is excited, and if I do buy the games it feels like there was no point subbing. It just doesn’t work for me.

Last edited:

twilo99

Once Starfield fades, Nintendo is going to come out looking like the good guy on the console side if they play their cards right. Right in time for the next system... For the rest it looks like they will stick with pc or jump ship to it.

How is that?

PS has a very loyal base that will not jump ship unless something major happens...

Xbox is slowly becoming a "bring your own device" kinda of service so people will just be in and out of that all time

ckaneo

How do I turn off auto renew?

Edit: I guess you just have to cancel

I have another year left.

I suggest everyone that is disgusted by this go ahead and cancel now so it doesn’t automatically renew so that Sony sees a flood of cancellations
Honestly this is a good idea. Even if you know you will bite the bullet and pay eventually, cancel now and let's see if they will lower the increase

OuterLimits

Premium(which I stupidly paid for) was already horrendous value at $120, and now they want $40 more. Lol. I don't think they have added any new PS2 classic games besides what was available when they launched the premium tier. The amount of PS1 and PSP games added has been inadequate as well.

mclaren777

I've had PS+ since the very beginning, which I'm starting to regret. The only online games I've played in the past 13 years are Bad Company 2, Borderlands 2, and Borderlands 3.

Sure, I've played a handful of the free games, but Sony has definitely come out on top in this transaction.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Welp. That's it I guess. Was so close to cancelling this so many times over the years but kept it, even when I went months without turning on the PS. RIP PS+, it's been fun... mostly.

Thanati

You believe those official numbers? It's total B.S. Even at 3%, it's unacceptable because inflation is compound. That's 3% on top of inflation years of inflation. At 2% it only takes 36 years for your currency to halve in value.

Not sure what other numbers you want to “believe in”.

But regardless, this is way higher than inflation and, as I said, they won’t bring the prices back down again.

Aenima

How do I turn off auto renew?

Edit: I guess you just have to cancel

I have another year left.

Its actually a good way to send feedback cuz when you cancel the sub thers 4 options to choose about the reason you are canceling the sub.

Last edited:

Barakov

Edit:
Mods, please fix title if possible :messenger_dizzy:
"PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th."

$20 increase for essential. $59.99 -> $79.99
$35 increase for extra. $99.99 -> $134.99
$40 increase for premium. $119.99 -> $159.99
Pretty shit move by Jimbo and co. Mine doesn't end until February 2024. Will definitely keep an eye out for sales during the holiday time. If there's no deals then I'll just let it relapse. $80 is just too much for essential not the to the mention the prices for extra and premium and you add $70 games into the mix and it's nigh impossible to be okay with this.

dotnotbot

Edit:
Mods, please fix title if possible :messenger_dizzy:
"PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th."

$20 increase for essential. $59.99 -> $79.99
$35 increase for extra. $99.99 -> $134.99
$40 increase for premium. $119.99 -> $159.99

I like the comments under that blog post.

skit_data

That $40 increase of Premium better amount to something. I've had some use for that tier to check out some games I missed during the PS3 era but it's honestly barely playable with the sub par framerates on the hardware itself on top of image quality and latency degradation through streaming.

Get proper emulation going and lower latency/better IQ and we're starting to approach something that might be worth that price.

Sleepwalker

I like the comments under that blog post.

Holy shit people are not taking it well in that blog lmao

How about you actually make a catalog for your “cutting edge tech PS5” that contains at least half as many current tech level games as you do 8-bit ones and start making your products more reliable, and better quality before jacking up ANY prices? Like seriously, is this supposed to be the latest gen console or an overpriced, cheaply made Atari emulator with an absurdly small drive space practically designed to barely hold one single current gen game. Oh and shall we also discuss how you refuse to refund purchases of games that you’re still selling that aren’t (and never will be) complete due to the companies that made them going bankrupt? Or maybe how the (shady) primary necessity for your $120+ Edge controllers is because you deliberately made your default controllers to experience stick drift, etc so gamers have to choose to keep replacing the $75 default ones constantly or to buy a $125+ Edge one and still have to pay $20 per ONE SINGLE analog stick replacements, when they’ll eventually wear out as well. Or maybe even perhaps the mind-bogglingly absurd decision to charge $60 just to change the color of the oversized plastic console plates that are worth $20 at best. Or maybe you’d prefer to have a laugh over how you had the audacity to charge $100 for that cheaply made “Backbone” (that Nintendo did better with its HandyBoy in the ’90s). And all this while charging $70-75 per game on top of an already $500 console? And do we really even need to mention how badly you dropped the ball by letting Xbox snatch up most of the greatest game publishing companies?

Like seriously, what cards do you hold at this point to justify such a steep PS Plus price hike? Not a single one. You’re trying to go all-in on a bluff meanwhile everyone knows you have nothing in your hand but big talk, straight up lies, poor choices and cheaply made accessories but go ahead, by all means push your already overcharged and under-appreciated PS gamers over to Xbox even faster.

Ya might wanna can whoever is making these ridiculous decisions. Cause if we didn’t know better (or at least assume better), one would almost suspect someones trying to fund a really bad 👃🍬 habit with even more bad decisions rather than trying to elevate what was once a gaming industry juggernaut to a whole new level, better than ever before. Between you and TakeTwo/Rockstar making some of the worst choices I’ve ever seen companies make…at this point, I’m starting to think you’re both actually trying (and succeeding) to sink your companies, once and for all.

I’ve never seen two companies so visciously compete to try to crap all over the very same fanbase that made you, with such blatant highway robbery. Just shameful.

Cyberpunkd

Why not. They're in the Apple league of doing whatever they want with prices and not lose a single customer over it.
Nice shitposting. Apple charges premium for premium products, from build quality to customer experience. Sony does what? Makes you pay for online and gives you games you will never play?

Cyberpunkd

I wonder if anyone at PlayStation with a high paid salary reads their own comment section.
No, but plenty of people at PlayStation have their bonuses linked to corporate results, so….

1. Keep things as they are, your internal projections showing it’s not enough for your fat bonus
2. Squeeze in hopes of getting extra profit that will give you an even bigger bonus

There is no downside, if it doesn’t work you can always go back. Meanwhile you are “justified” in doing so by inflation and Microsoft doing the same with GP.

You don’t even need to come up with everything new and innovative, just use what is already in place.

Obligatory: corporations are not your friends.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Pay more, get less, where do I sign?

Disappointing, esepcially for the lack of content, with so much they could add to the service. Didn't Sony report amazing profits?

Top Bottom