• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th

graywolf323

shocked holy shit GIF
yeah and most of those were at $25-30 a year, I tried to stock up during the PS+ Black Friday deals in the past & thankfully Sony didn’t cap you to 3 years max unlike Xbox Live Gold

I got one year of PS Now at regular price when you still could before the conversion to make sure I got converted at Premium instead of Essential

Killjoy-NL

No wonder my salary went up.

I think my boss doesn't want me to drop Plus. <3

Seriously though, €11 is quite an increase.

Last edited:
Is there an easy way to backup saves without a full system backup and restore? That’s my main reason for having a sub still really, fear of losing progress.

Unknown?

I'm tired of every fucking service increasing their prices without increasing their output. Netflix, Disney+, MAX, Sony, etc. can all kiss my ass at this point. COVID really had their heads in the clouds and gave them all false hope for a new future.
This is the nature of subscription services everywhere.

GHound

Nah. Suck my dick Sony. I'll finish up whatever I've got through plus and do all my multiplayer on PC going forward. Gonna piss off some friends with the games that aren't crossplay but I don't fucking care anymore.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Better buy a 12month essential card to redeem after my extra expires in December.
I really wasn't in the mood to spend extra money this month :(

Looks like there's a sale going on that ends tomorrow in case anyone wants to at least squeeze another year out at a cheaper price. Wouldn't blame anyone for bouncing off this though. I'm going to wait to see what sales (if any) they'll have on it before leaving myself.

I...just don't get what the fuck they were thinking dropping this off like it's nothing especially with little to nothing to sooth the sting over. No new game announcements for something new. No big drops on the service itself. Just a "Hi! Hope you enjoy paying more. Have a great one."

tmlDan

I'm tired of every fucking service increasing their prices without increasing their output. Netflix, Disney+, MAX, Sony, etc. can all kiss my ass at this point. COVID really had their heads in the clouds and gave them all false hope for a new future.
This is what people wanted, they made GP their personality and subs went up by 6 million for netflix when they cut down on sub sharing.

People are fucking stupid

Spyxos

There should be an online game only 50% reduced Ps Plus, I usually have the stupid old games on offer on other systems. It's no added value for me at all. I pay for the junk I don't need.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I renewed recently for a discounted 12 month. That was sub $60, but not by much. I don’t want to pay them more money. I use online features, but not enough to warrant a price hike. I buy games at full price. That should be enough.

I bought a lot of their premium content over the years and half my purchases on PSN are on legacy formats they’ve kept alive by customer complaints. I don’t know if I’ll renew next year. They’ve got awesome content, but it’s cherry picked with a screw you type of attitude. I don’t need Resident Evil 1 on PS1 with trophies. I paid them $5.99-$9.99 for a lot of games on PS1. They can’t make those playable anywhere else. They just charge you for it under a paywall.

There's only one thing I can think of that would justify this move, and that's if Sony has already worked out a deal with Ubisoft to bring those ABK games (cloud version) to the PS Plus tiers. Otherwise, yeah not a good move, and quite frankly I'm surprised they went this steep of a price increase, the Sony executives must not have seen much further future growth for PS Plus and they probably don't want their 1st party games to be devalued too much from being put on their Extra + Premium tiers, so I can see the logic behind the price increase in that case, though for me all this does is further reinforce my viewpoint that 'Buy to Play' >>> 'Subscribe to Rent' for accessing games, on PlayStation and everywhere else.

Comandr

That's gonna be a no from me, dawg. I have been a PS+ subscriber for as long as you have been able to BE a subscriber. Today I cancelled my renewal. The offerings lately haven't exactly wowed me, and I never play online multiplayer games on PlayStation. I've played exactly 1 game this year, and I purchased it myself. FF16. So for me, the subscription has almost entirely been wasted this year so far. Unless major comes to it in the next few months I can't see my purchase really being justified. And I certainly cant justify a 35% price hike for Extra. That's outrageous. This just feels like an easy way to turn the screws on their subscribers and squeeze a little more out of em. Ain't gonna work on me.

I don't give a fuck about crappy 'free' games long past their peak (I already bought the good ones ages ago), I just want to play online
Agreed. They should just offer online play for free and not bother with the “essential” tier. Hell, it’s pretty insulting that we are being asked to pay so much for something they claim is “essential”.

It’s ridiculous to pay directly for cloud storage and online play, period. But now we are being asked to pay more only a couple years after the last $10 price increase?

Great strategy to grow profits 30%. Oh darn, you inadvertently made people who were asleep realize they were paying play online.

As much as I hate the fuss, this is my last console Generation. PC just pays for itself over time. Getting it to feel comfy on a TV is a good project to take on.

On one hand I hope they come with the goods to justify this increase, on the other hand I kind of hope they don't.

We need a harsh subscription reset that completely removes their distortions and impact on the market. Unfortunately it won't happen.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just disabled my PS Plus auto-renewal. Fuck this shit.

What the hell are you doing, Sony? 100 bucks is already pushing it, honestly. 125 is just ridiculous.

Mr Moose

I don't buy it at full price, I wait for the sales, but this is shit.

Subscription services have hit a wall, what should we do? I know, increase the price!

StereoVsn

I will downgrade to Essential once my current sub expires which should be in a couple more years. Got it on the cheap when the PS Now discount conversion was available but not going to pay $140 a year for it. I just don't get enough use.

Hmm...wonder what the conversion rate is if I add a year of PS Plus Essentials at $60 before September 6th.

Neff

Agreed. They should just offer online play for free and not bother with the “essential” tier.

I think expecting free online on consoles at this point is futile. I pay for Switch Online and I think it's a reasonable price to pay annually to play online, and the free games are damn good, if ancient.

Plus is a massive rip-off in comparison. But I wanna play SF6 and Tekken, what am I gonna do besides buying a new PC?

Top Bottom