• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal remote player will launch in select markets on November 15, 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member

PpfLptx.png

Update: PlayStation Portal remote player will launch in select markets on November 15, 2023 and is now available for pre-order at direct.playstation.com in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, and Portugal. Starting on September 29, 2023, PlayStation Portal remote player can also be pre-ordered from other select retailers in these countries, as well as Canada and Japan. Additional regional availability will be announced at a later date.

Last edited:

Robins

It's a nope from me at £199, my laptop with a ps5 controller will do just fine.

If it drops to around £120 in a sale I might be interested.

Gonna be fun to see how this sells after a big ol price hike to ps plus

I don't think that the PS Plus cost increases are going to affect the Portal's sales at all, due to the fact that those who had planned on buying the Portal aren't going to change their minds now. I still think it's going to sell 100,000 units in the first month and a half (by December 31st).

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I don't think that the PS Plus cost increases are going to affect the Portal's sales at all, due to the fact that those who had planned on buying the Portal aren't going to change their minds now. I still think it's going to sell 100,000 units in the first month and a half (by December 31st).
We'll see.

I've been told by gaffers that all kids are going to be buying this to play in school too and that everyone's getting one basically so I think people here are a little out of touch with reality sometimes.

But we'll see

Cyberpunkd

I honestly don't see this product succeeding.
Because it won’t do PSP numbers? Sony doesn’t care, it’s a niche device for a specific use case.

Understand outside hardcore people loud on forums nobody cares about backwards compatibility and playing your precious PS1 and PS2 games.

This is nice and neat device if you want to:

Sit and play quietly at home without blasting light from your huge ass TV

Play on the bed

Have good mobile Internet on the go so you can hotspot

What it is supposed to it does very well, nothing more or nothing less.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Would if you could insert and also download games onto it? That’s the problem with an easy solution, steam deck lets you do that.

t_wilson01

Because it won’t do PSP numbers? Sony doesn’t care, it’s a niche device for a specific use case.
I didn't compare it to a PSP or any other handheld for that matter. I find this device too expensive for it's purpose. It's rather buy a tablet with that money and pair it with a controller.

Cyberpunkd

I didn't compare it to a PSP or any other handheld for that matter. I find this device too expensive for it's purpose. It's rather buy a tablet with that money and pair it with a controller.
It then you have unwieldy form factor. Plus for that price + controller the tablet will be crap.

t_wilson01

It then you have unwieldy form factor. Plus for that price + controller the tablet will be crap.
If you're interested in remote play, then you already have a console + controller. Remote play doesn't require the greatest hardware either. I've been using it with my phones for years, a Galaxy S7 back then.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

You know what, I'm going to eat a lot of crow but I might end up getting it as a dedicated FIFA(eafc) machine, I think my wife will be thrilled.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Honestly I'd consider this device if it actually ran full Android and allowed me to use Moonlight/Geforce Now/xCloud/etc..

As of now it's a paperweight though.

mrcroket

If you're interested in remote play, then you already have a console + controller. Remote play doesn't require the greatest hardware either. I've been using it with my phones for years, a Galaxy S7 back then.
The point of this is that it's a single and dedicate device, even if it would cost you the same for a tablet + dualsense. And it doesn't have to sell 50 million to be a success, it's an accessory like any other, it doesn't have a big investment behind it nor is it sold at a loss. Nor is it a competitor of steam deck nor pretends to be, it is a dual sense with screen to play with the PS5 without tv, nothing more and nothing less.

Reactions: TLZ
Pre-ordered. I've been using my phone for remote play which is not the most convenient solution. So this is perfect for what I'm looking for.
I have a few instances where I use remote play but Portal won't do for me because most of those instances are when I'm away from home and at launch it only works locally with your PS5. Big miss from Sony.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'll be pre-ordering soon. I'd do it right now but busy month coming up with travel and gotta be really mindful of my funds. I was hoping it'd allow the Klarna payment option like it did with PSVR2 but no dice right now.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Greece still doesn't have PS+ Streaming on PC.
I am paying premium and i can't use the service out of my PS5.

There's no need for PS+ φίλε μου, this device streams directly from your PS5 console.

You can also use it outside your home by connecting it to your phone's wi-fi hotspot but...we all know the absolutely shitty prices for mobile internet in Greece 😉

Cheers

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I just wanted to order this and the damn headphones and ear buds at the same time. Staggered release dates for hardware you showcase in the same launch trailer is ruinous to my privilege boner.... for more shit I will never use.

The Shepard

Pre ordered. This could be a game changer for me as I don't get much time in front of the TV these days as it's always occupied. I also saved FF4,5 and 6 pixel remasters for this after completing the first 3. Octopath traveler 2, live a live and star ocean 2 (when released) will be saved for this to.

Top Bottom