• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal remote player will launch in select markets on November 15, 2023

Neofire

PpfLptx.png

Going to get it to add to my collection

Cyberpunkd

- Don't want to spend 100 Eurodollars for a Kishi/Backbone ? Have fun having to BT-sync your joypad to the phone and then RE-sync it to the PS5 which requires the Sony provided USB cable - it's a fucking ball-ache having to do it every time, also, BT = higher input lag.
I don't understand why many people do not get it - unless you have a dedicated controller for your phone/tablet you need to re-sync this shit all the time. Dedicated controller is 75€.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I don't understand why many people do not get it - unless you have a dedicated controller for your phone/tablet you need to re-sync this shit all the time. Dedicated controller is 75€.

Cyber, you know what's even shittier and something that people don't really get ? The fact that 2 years later, the button configuration is STILL fecked up on 99% of Android devices , having A13 doesn't help either.

It boggles the mind, how the hell isn't this fixed ? Doesn't Sony know about it ?
In fact, it's so bad that even if you want to spend money/get a new Android 13 phone/ tablet to be able to use remote play it's a crapshoot since you can't know beforehand if it'll work or not.
Was thinking of getting Xiaomi's pad 6 mostly for RP and...guess what, button config is still messed up.

The people that keep parrotting "you can play on your phone/tablet bro" are just that, parrots since they don't know the current state of RP on Android devices.

On iphones/iPads, sure, it works well (haptics included) but that's assuming you're already on the Apple ecosystem 'cause otherwise...you'll be looking at way, way more than the 200 Eurodollars that the remote player will cost.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I was watching a football game last night and thought about this device between commercials since there is so many of them. Wished I had it available but gotta wait until November.

It will appeal to the people who will use it. If you can't think of how you will use it it's not for you.

Wish I had it right now. I'd cleanup a few trophies during work.
I finished FFXVI, but I can pop a few trophies just from spending some of the points/materials I never bothered to get around to.

BlackTron

I get why people like the idea. It's a Wii U for your PS5. But I'm skeptical that it will actually even work as well as the U did. I want it to come out and read the impressions.

I have reservations about the lag. Wii U was built around this idea. The Portal is an afterthought that you plug into a USB port. (I wouldn't even bother over the Internet)

It also looks pretty dumb. I don't like how the controller is only attached to the tablet on the top half making the squared off bottom. It looks like some spliced together hackneyed effort of bare minimum design. Maybe because they know this isn't gonna sell boatloads no matter what so didn't bother.

Cyberpunkd

Seeing it exclusive to Sony Direct tipped the balance for me to use the pre-order. 99% chance the better half is going to use this device the most like the WiiU tablet for platforming - Sackboy - and has already shown interest in me getting one. With a decent number of PS5's sold worldwide and Sony probably doing a soft release on this accessory with small numbers so close to xmas and nowhere else to buy I've gone with the safe option on the off chance demand outstrips supply massively.
This, I ordered directly with Sony since my guess is this is really limited supply at first. Given their production this might end as PS5 stock situation.
All I can say is... I wish anyone who buy this gets a perma banned.

no disrespect to all. but if you buy this, then you deserve to get scammed and robbed all your life. not gonna feel sorry for your sorry sad ass.
Are you ok? Did someone hurt you?
I have so many games on my backlog that I just haven’t really touched because sitting in front of my tv just feels a bit much for some of these titles.
This right there. I have a huge backlog but it is just so much more convenient to just take out the Switch and play something fast.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I recently got a new tablet with wi-fi 6 and DS (proper) support and after experiencing PS remote play again I think that the PS portal will surprise a lot of people - the experience is light years ahead nowadays compared to a few years ago to the point that input lag is almost negligible...
I played Ghost of Tsushima, GOW Ragnarok and even Wanted: dead which requires low input lag and the experience was ALMOST 1:1 compared to native play.
Sure, it might not be ideal still for twitch games/FPSs but for the rest of the games...

Visual quality : on a 4K, 12.4 inch OLED tablet screen the macroblocking was there and kinda visible but still much better compared Xcloud/Xbox remote play.
Just for shits and giggles, I connected the tablet via a USB C to HDMI adapter to my 4K TV and while the visual quality obviously took a dive, input-lag wise the experience was still very, veeery good (can't emphasize it enough).

Your mileage may obviously vary but here's the combinations that I tried :

- OnePlus Nord 5G :
Doesn't support wi-fi 6, connected on my 5GHz network visuals and sound break up as soon as I get a little bit far from my router.Input lag goes to shit obviously.
Also, DS is not supported (even on Android 12).
Unplayable status (as most Android phones out there due to button configuration being all kinds of fucked up thanks.to Google)

- iPad...fuck if I know which model :
Doesn't support wi-fi 6 obviously, DS works properly (haptic feedback too).
Visual quality is OK but gets fucked again as soon as I add some distance from my router.
Playable status.

Samsung tab S9+ :
Supports wi-fi 6, visuals stay at 1080p@60Hz with no macroblocking nor sound break up no matter where I move the tablet to, you start playing at 1080p@60Hz, it stays at 1080p@60Hz for the whole duration.
DS is supported (almost) fully, you have vibration but no haptics.
Status super-playable.

Now, if the PS.portal.supports wi-fi 6 (this seems.to be the differentiating factor) and your home.network is decent, people.will.be in for a good ride since the controls are basically the DS ones.
Take also into account that the device's screen is only 8inches and...things will.also.look.better obviously compared to a 10-12.inch 2K/4K device.

Don't know if Sony did/fixed anything on their end or if wi-fi 6 is indeed the differentiating factor here (or both) but man, RP has become super, super playable cot dayum, I'm actually friggin surprised and I'm.not exaggerating...

If Nvidia's GeForce now is considered a 10/10 experience , RP, nowadays, is a solid 8/10.

Basically, don't knock it 'till you give it a good try.

Cheers

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
In case anyone knows: is the USB-C only there for charging, or if you have an official headset that comes with a USB-C doogle you can use it to have a working headset?

Talking about Arctis 7P+, which is an official headset for PS5.

I don't really like how they cockblocked the consumer in terms of earbuds. A damn headset costs the same as the main device lol...

Last edited:
In case anyone knows: is the USB-C only there for charging, or if you have an official headset that comes with a USB-C doogle you can use it to have a working headset?

Talking about Arctis 7P+, which is an official headset for PS5.

I don't really like how they cockblocked the consumer in terms of earbuds. A damn headset costs the same as the main device lol...
I believe it’s just charging. I plan to use a wired Bose headset I got. It’s the same way I use headphones on Xbox. I don’t have their proprietary crap either.

Gamerguy84

Honestly can't wait for this. You guys with Steam deck or rog get it.

When I'm sitting around my house doing nothing I'm on my phone like a lot of people. I'll pick this up instead and finish some games that are sitting in my backlog halfway done but never get the time. This basically is preloaded with hundreds of games.

Vita would have been perfect for the time with true L1, L2 R1,R2 buttons.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Will pick up mine in December probably. Need some reviews on the device first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom