• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal reviews

DaGwaphics

I don't understand why my Quest 3 can't just stream directly to my phone. Why do all these devices have to go through a Router? Is it part of the Wifi spec or something?

I'm surprised that Quest hasn't released an optional ad-hoc dongle for streaming. That way you can connect without congesting your Wi-Fi network, seems like that might be a necessity for good multi-player games anyway.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Don't have one to test but I'm surprised there would be a perceivable difference with input latency at all when you are home tbh. I mean on some level you are just using an ~50ft internet protocol connection for your controller instead of ~10ft bluetooth connection with a regular Dualsense.

Contrast that to cloud gaming when the data center is ~500 miles away...obviously some of that is fiber which is going to be fast but still.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Don't have one to test but I'm surprised there would be a perceivable difference with input latency at all when you are home tbh. I mean on some level you are just using an ~50ft internet protocol connection for your controller instead of ~10ft bluetooth connection with a regular Dualsense.

Contrast that to cloud gaming when the data center is ~500 miles away...obviously some of that is fiber which is going to be fast but still.
Remote play isn't the same as using a controller to your console

FrankWza

Sony doesn't seem to grasp that devices locked to their one console and shop, that can't be used for anything else (...imagine a steam link client on this portal, would change everything), are simply not worth these insane amounts.
They *only sold 5 million PSVRs last gen. They sell 100 million consoles generation after generation to people who want to be in their ecosystem. They make the right accessories non proprietary and the ones that need to be, closed. You can use any headphones on PS5 but that doesn't mean that their Pulse line isn't still something that people want. You can use different remote play options but people may still want this one because it's better for them.

Phase

No idea how many were manufactured

Thats said I have said several times on here I work closed with Gamestop and Best Buy with sponsorships but my buddy that oversees many regional Gamestops says the amount of calls coming in asking about this device has been more than any other accessory since this gen launched (what he is hearing from his teams)

That's also left to ones individual interpretation of what that means though
Interesting. I wonder if this initial release was almost a test to gauge interest, and once they know they'll set in motion certain quotas to be filled.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Making a play from Nintendo's playbook, artificially stunt initial release to make product scarce, so that when it comes back in stock people will just buy it out of FOMO.

It's working, despite being quite happy with remote play on by Steam Deck, I'm now wishing I ordered one. I will probably do so if/when they come back in stock this side of Christmas.

Phase

How many did they get? I called my local target and they said they are getting a whopping 2 units.
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Phase

Must be proof of none being made, I mean one store proves it all.

They could have made 50,000 or 500,000, you have zero idea.
And yet a niche product is apparently sold out in many countries, and every store that seemingly sells them. Many anecdotes in this thread alone. That tells me they didn't produce many at all. I don't need definitive numbers to draw connections and form a perspective.

Last edited:
And yet a niche product is apparently sold out in many countries, and every store that seemingly sells them. Many anecdotes in this thread alone. That tells me they didn't produce many at all. I don't need definitive numbers to draw connections and form a perspective.

Your perspective is not fact though. 🤔

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

I'll never understand why people give a shit as to whether or not a piece of plastic they like is sold out or not. Particularly a product like the Portal where it has literally no bearing on their enjoyment or future support of the device.

Fanboyism is a weird fucking thing

Senua

Gold Member
I'll never understand why people give a shit as to whether or not a piece of plastic they like is sold out or not. Particularly a product like the Portal where it has literally no bearing on their enjoyment or future support of the device.

support-team.gif

midnightAI

I don't need definitive numbers to draw connections and form a perspective.
You don't just not have definitive numbers, you have no numbers. No one here knows how many they have sold, all we do know is that no matter how many they made it appears to be selling out, that could be 1000, 10,000, 100,000, 1 million, we do not know.

Roxkis_ii

You don't just not have definitive numbers, you have no numbers. No one here knows how many they have sold, all we do know is that no matter how many they made it appears to be selling out, that could be 1000, 10,000, 100,000, 1 million, we do not know.
Your absolutly correct, but its some people in this thread using the fact it sold out as an indicator of the devices popularity, when at the end of the day, it not enough info to draw an conclusion.
NOBODY WANTS THIS DEVICE

Except

A fair few.

Case in point.

Killjoy-NL

Your absolutly correct, but its some people in this thread using the fact it sold out as an indicator of the devices popularity, when at the end of the day, it not enough info to draw an conclusion.

Case in point.
Seems like him just stating a simple fact.

FrankWza

I think the fact that it sold out on PS Direct is more telling. Preorders sold out everywhere in the U. S. and probably received the highest allocation. But it has arrived and it isn't dead so....

midnightAI

Come on bro, his first sentence was

"NOBODY WANTS THIS Device"

He was trying to use the tweet to prove a point.
While this is true, it also proves that there is interest in the device, which is contrary to what some people are/were saying. It also proves that Sony has not overestimated the demand for a device like this otherwise there would be plenty of stock left (they may well have underestimated demand)

Roxkis_ii

I was talking about the tweet.
And I was talking about how the tweet was weaponized to try to prove a point. Which isn't actually a point (but got lots of fire emotes).

This thread just seems so odd to me. I understand this device isn't for everyone but reading some of the post here, it just seems like the device isn't being judge off its merits, but instead Sony = equal good and everyone who disagrees is somehow attacking Sony as a platform.

This device isn't for me, and reading post here are just pinging my fan boy radar and making me side eye the Playstation fanbase here, so I think I'm just going to ignore this thread (outside of any replies to this post).

While this is true, it also proves that there is interest in the device, which is contrary to what some people are/were saying.

You could just look at the post in thread and come to the same conclusion.

It also proves that Sony has not overestimated the demand for a device like this otherwise there would be plenty of stock left (they may well have underestimated demand)

We don't know how many devices Sony shipped to each store. If every store only got 2 devices each, it doesn't really say much.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Some people really want Portal to 'fail' (whatever that means) for some reason.

A lot of gaming discourse is millennials who don't want gaming to deviate from how it was in the 90's. If it isn't a purely local device where you load a fucking laserdisc into your system then "things are going downhill".

Meanwhile have no problem using always connected devices elsewhere and streaming the fuck out of everything.

It's going to be 2050 and some millennial boomer will be trying to insert a 3DS cartridge into the AI Matrix. "hOw Do YoU tUrN iT oN?"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
On the flip side we have no idea how many were produced and could be demand is very high

Truth is no one here has any clue either way just best guesses

Phase

It really has nothing to do with fanboyism. I was initially interested in the product, but after researching was disappointed in it's specs. I started becoming interested in it's availability because my brother has been trying to get one. He even successfully ordered from Best Buy only for the purchase to be kicked back twice. I was trying to find one for him. I just find it weird to see advertising saying "It's sold out everywhere! It must be a hit!" when in reality it seems there's just very low stock.

Zuzu

Even if they didn't manufacture a lot that doesn't mean it's not a success. Sony would have calculated that if they manufactured x number of devices and if these sell then they will make enough money to justify bringing the device to market. The sales of the device seem to be positive, at least at this early stage, so it looks set to sell the numbers that Sony intends for it. Therefore, it should achieve Sony's goals and so it'll be a business success (assuming that sales continue to remain strong enough after the initial release period).

Last edited:

FrankWza

Even if they didn't manufacture a lot that doesn't mean it's not a success. Sony would have calculated that if they manufactured x number of devices and if these sell then they will make enough money to justify bringing the device to market. The sales of the device seem to be positive, at least at this early stage, so it looks set to sell the numbers that Sony intends for it. Therefore, it should achieve Sony's goals and so it'll be a business success (assuming that sales continue to remain strong enough after the initial release period).
If there was a shelf full of these somewhere we'd be seeing posting on how it failed. That much we know

Krieger

I think Sony didn't produce enough and there is a bigger demand than people expected. Just yesterday it said "2000+ sold in the last month" on german Amazon, now it's out of stock.

BlackTron

If you had actually read the posts you would realize it performs better than your imaginary standards.

I searched the user you mentioned and read his impressions before I replied but didn't mention it because, big surprise, they didn't change anything. Okay, they were positive. There are other users in this very thread who like the Portal who say that they can't use it to play twitch games, even though I would have no problem playing a twitch game on my Wii U gamepad. Which is over a decade old. Somehow, my expectation that Sony might implement a similar solution for a dedicated use device, which largely came from Portal defenders on GAF months ago, is "imaginary".

It's a one-trick pony that struggles with the one trick. Yes, it still has utility if you really need that trick, but they could have should have done much better.

I've seen 120ms, and I've seen people who like it say it's bad for the wrong types of games. I've read about 25 posts. I think I've seen enough to form a picture of what's going on here. If I really missed something so megaton, show me please.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
bro that lcd screen looks fresh as fuck holy moly!
update out of the box first.. will try to connect it to my ps5.. this will be the moment of truth.

my network is pretty solid and i can stream pc vr to my quest 3 with no issues at all

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So I keep reading on the portal's sub-reddit that you need to turn off 120HZ TV support in case you have it enable on your console.

If you do that, experience gets better. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
So I keep reading on the portal's sub-reddit that you need to turn off 120HZ TV support in case you have it enable on your console.

If you do that, experience gets better. Can anyone confirm this?

Sounds like BS/Placebo, i have 120Hz enabled on my LG C2 and remote play to my tablet is absolutely fine

BlackTron

Sounds like BS/Placebo, i have 120Hz enabled on my LG C2 and remote play to my tablet is absolutely fine

It makes sense because the whole chain needs to transfer half the frames and everyone's unique situation/wifi network is different. So if they have a problem it could indeed be alleviated by going 60fps.

Killjoy-NL

Same-ish (A90J 120hz + Portal).

Most games play fine, even multiplayer games like Wayfinder, Smite and Hell Let Loose.

Battlefield 2042 seemed okay as well, but didn't really play a full match.

MW3 still manageable, but need to adjust playstyle to avoid close-quarters if possible, I suppose.

Edit:

Those sticks I need some time to adjust to though.

Also, what I like about the design, is that they left room for the chargibg cable to avoid breaking it when having the Portal wired.

Last edited:

midnightAI

The main thing I found is that my router/hub (BT hub) by default uses a single name for the WiFi connection and it attempts to select the correct connection automatically, and with the PS5 it gets this wrong and puts it on 2.4ghz, which causes major picture quality/streaming issues. Switching this on the PS5 fixes this if you must have the PS5 wireless. However, the PS5 should be wired with a cat6a cable for the absolute best quality etc. On the BT Hub you have to change the setting so that it uses separate names for each of the 2.4ghz and 5ghz so that you can connect to the right one.

(Also make sure UPnP is on and that your device is using it)

Top Bottom