• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal reviews

radewagon

This thread is priceless. How it's reached so many pages is impressive when you consider that 80% of the posts are basically....

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF
Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco
Son Of A Bitch Ngapa GIF

Followed by...
Sylvester Stallone GIF by Warner Archive

FrankWza

I was going to do other stuff this morning but have decided to start ordering accessories :)

Had a screen protector already but now have some stick caps and a carrying case on the way.

Now looking for a nice looking stand/charging dock? to have it out on the desk
I haven't seen a dock yet but that's what I want more than anything. I got a glass protector and I'm using some of those kontrol sticky grips that I use on DualSense. If they don't fit perfectly I'm sure it's close enough where I can just cut it a bit. If I see a dock I'll let you know and post here or if there's an OT.

64bitbros

I haven't seen a dock yet but that's what I want more than anything. I got a glass protector and I'm using some of those kontrol sticky grips that I use on DualSense. If they don't fit perfectly I'm sure it's close enough where I can just cut it a bit. If I see a dock I'll let you know and post here or if there's an OT.
I got a glass protector. But need a case asap.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Mine just arrived. Bought a screen protector and case preemptively and glad I did. Put screen protector on before I even booted up.

This thing is lovely, the screen for being only 1080P is very clear.

This is going to be great for Diablo, Civilisation, Hades, shredders revenge, streets of rage 4 etc etc. in bed chilling out. I’m 100% happy with the purchase so far. Maybe a tad on the pricey side, but I’m happy overall. Really nice weight to the device.

FrankWza

I got a glass protector. But need a case asap.
Yeah I was thinking about one but if I get a dock the bag or case would be just for taking out of the house. I can't find the right material yet. They're all canvas/cloth like.
Edit.
Found a leatherette style one. Maybe I'll get that one

Last edited:

FrankWza

Anyone getting any accessories for this? I'm considering a case cause I'm going away for Thanksgiving.
Mine says it's coming sometime before 7pm . . . ugh
There's a bunch of cases on Amazon. There's even bags with straps but some of the nicer ones aren't fulfilled by Amazon so you have to wait for slow shipping from probably China

64bitbros

Found this one via twitter. No clue what the guy is saying as i don't speak the language.
But if you skip the video to 7:30 he does a test where he lets a counter run on both his tv and the Portal at the same time.
First 2.4Ghz and then 5Ghz. The difference is quite big.

Phase

I have never understood the "I don't like it so if you do you're dumb" mentality
I don't have any issue with people like you, a very upstanding and thoughtful gentlemen, getting the product because it seems like a decent use of the functionality. My issue with it is how half-assed it seems. So no direct connection, latency still far too great for me to consider it, and relatively poor battery life. We're at a point nowadays that all of these things should be much further along and prioritized for a better gaming experience. I know that they could do and substantially improve all of these things (IF THEY CARED), but they don't and because of that I stay disappointed and underwhelmed.

TrebleShot

Found this one via twitter. No clue what the guy is saying as i don't speak the language.
But if you skip the video to 7:30 he does a test where he lets a counter run on both his tv and the Portal at the same time.
First 2.4Ghz and then 5Ghz. The difference is quite big.

Yeah recommend using 5ghz if you have it, its not visual but you feel it

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't have any issue with people like you, a very upstanding and thoughtful gentlemen, getting the product because it seems like a decent use of the functionality. My issue with it is how half-assed it seems. So no direct connection, latency still far too great for me to consider it, and relatively poor battery life. We're at a point nowadays that all of these things should be much further along and prioritized for a better gaming experience. I know that they could do and substantially improve all of these things (IF THEY CARED), but they don't and because of that I stay disappointed and underwhelmed.
With how long the cycle is from concept to launch I just think when this thing was being designed they had that $200 price target and just not sure they could have improved it a lot without getting too close to the better devices like Steamdeck price wise

I could be way off here too though as these are just my own thoughts

Ogbert

FPS feel like a no-go. Tried D2 and CoD - the controls feel off on both. Maybe it’s my wifi, but it’s pretty good so the device feels lacking in this regard.

That said, Astrobot was fun to play on it, especially for the dual sense features.

So far, doesn’t feel like a dedicated gaming device at all. Just a neat little side item that you can use as and when.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
FPS feel like a no-go. Tried D2 and CoD - the controls feel off on both. Maybe it’s my wifi, but it’s pretty good so the device feels lacking in this regard.

That said, Astrobot was fun to play on it, especially for the dual sense features.

So far, doesn’t feel like a dedicated gaming device at all. Just a neat little side item that you can use as and when.
For me anything online and competitive is not fun with this thing but playing single player off your machine works really well

Instead of receiving mine today I got an email that it's been delayed and I pre-ordered on August 31.
Have a buddy who texted earlier saying he preordered day 1 from PS Direct and he got an email his was delayed until next Friday, what's up with that shit?

Phase

With how long the cycle is from concept to launch I just think when this thing was being designed they had that $200 price target and just not sure they could have improved it a lot without getting too close to the better devices like Steamdeck price wise

I could be way off here too though as these are just my own thoughts
That's a good point. I had not considered them having to adhere to the set price point. But I do think that, say, at $300 you could substantially improve things like battery life and latency. I unfortunately don't know enough about the technology to know if I'm way off base but if the latency was greatly lowered the experience would be improved 10x. I'm sure it's fine for most, but I'm a stickler for low latency.

magnumpy

honestly it would be much better at ~$100 instead of ~$200. but whatever, I'm probably not the target market 🤷

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
A few tips boys :

- PS5 should be hardwired via Ethernet

- Put static IPs on both the PS5 and portal

- Check channel congestion - use something like Wi-fi analyzer from the Google store to see which one is the less congested and then go to your router and select said channel.(or, you could put it to "auto" in the router's settings).

- Use only the 5Ghz channel - it's better if you separate the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz channels from within your router as to be sure to which one your device(s) connect to, i.e, create a "Neogaf 2.4GHz" and a "Neogaf 5GHz" one.

- If you have a shitty ISP provided router and you can't connect, make sure to open the specific ports for RP (can find them on Sony's site).
Some routers won't let you open specific ports (blocked by the ISP) - happened to me with my ISP's router and no matter what i did, i couldn't connect/put the PS5 out of sleep mode, in the end, i had to buy a new router and now everything works as it should.

- From within your router's settings, enable the QoS priority mode for both the PS5 and your device.
Bumping this, all of this

Especially use the 5GHz channel

FrankWza

Me reading this thread and trying to decide if I buy this based on the "It's a great device" or "it's a shitty device" comments:

ping pong cat GIF
Well if you're waiting for cloud streaming forget it. As we speak there is a full on effort to have it stopped before it even begins.

Actually, I am going to push for it to never get updated for PS cloud streaming or app support since that’s what some of you guys want.

Zathalus

Machine translated bit:

In terms of Portal, remote play and the cloud are just "differences where the server is", and there are no technical issues. We'll start with remote play and proceed with verification.

Sounds like using the Portal to connect to PS+ is in the works, which would be great if you go on a trip and are far from your home PS5 and the PS+ servers are closer. Or your home internet sucks.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I wonder how many they manufactured, because it seems to be unavailable from most stores currently. I think the number may be smaller than many are assuming.
No idea how many were manufactured

Thats said I have said several times on here I work closed with Gamestop and Best Buy with sponsorships but my buddy that oversees many regional Gamestops says the amount of calls coming in asking about this device has been more than any other accessory since this gen launched (what he is hearing from his teams)

That's also left to ones individual interpretation of what that means though

Killjoy-NL

Finally got to check it out.

Tbh, I really like it.
Screen is good for what it needs to so. Sure, it's step back from my A90J, but I have no complaints about the visual quality.

Feel is comfortabele, although I probably need to get used to the size and especially the sticks. They do feel quite different, but not in a negative way.
It's also lighter than I expected.

As for gaming, I tried HFW, MW3 and Wayfinder real quick.

Horizon was nice to play on Portal. Responsiveness was good, visuals were as to be expected. Good for Remote Play, not as good as my tv.

MW3, not sure. Feels like playing a laggy match. One match I managed to do okay, but the next my connection wasn't too good, so it wasn't working as I'd hoped.
Probably with a stable connection, it's good enough for me, but on a tv is definitely the way to go.

Wayfinders is a great match for Portal. Even though it's an online game, it's responsive and I think games like that will be my go-to games on Portal.
(There is some occasional lag, but might be due to my connection).

Will see if I can improve my connection, but for now it seems to do perfectly fine for Remote Play at home.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Machine translated bit:

Sounds like using the Portal to connect to PS+ is in the works, which would be great if you go on a trip and are far from your home PS5 and the PS+ servers are closer. Or your home internet sucks.
That high level executive at Sony is going to have to give up. He has no idea who he's messing with.

It’s literally the only thing it can do for no reason. Its hardware is able to but can’t access PS5 media app or cloud streaming. Actually, I am going to push for it to never get updated for PS cloud streaming or app support since that’s what some of you guys want.

Zathalus

Unknown how popular it in the Netherlands at the moment, but looking around it seems to be selling well at least. Mediamarkt Amsterdam is sold out compared to this morning, but Almere (where I bought mine) and a few others still show as having stock, most stores have nothing left though. Gamemania and Coolblue is sold out though. Buying direct from Playstation is still possible as well.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I didn't read 8 pages of posts, not that I needed to to have my own standards, which I must apologize for being apparently too high for this kind of device thanks to *checks notes* Wii U from 2012

If you had actually read the posts you would realize it performs better than your imaginary standards.

64bitbros

Finally got to check it out.

Tbh, I really like it.
Screen is good for what it needs to so. Sure, it's step back from my A90J, but I have no complaints about the visual quality.

Feel is comfortabele, although I probably need to get used to the size and especially the sticks. They do feel quite different, but not in a negative way.
It's also lighter than I expected.

As for gaming, I tried HFW, MW3 and Wayfinder real quick.

Horizon was nice to play on Portal. Responsive was good, visuals were as to be expected. Good for Remote Play, not as good as my tv.

MW3, not sure. Feels like playing a laggy match. One match I managed to do okay, but the next my connection wasn't too good, so it wasn't working as I'd hoped.
Probably with a stable connection, it's good enough for me, but on a tv us definitely the way to go.

Wayfinders is a great match for Portal. Even though it's an online game, it's responsive and I think games like that will be my go-to games on Portal.

Will see if I can improve my connection, but for now it seems to do perfectly fine for Remote Play at home.

Yeah i don't think Remote Play is suited to twitchy 60fps shooters where ever frame counts. I also wouldn't want to play Spider-man 2 on it. That's a big TV type game.
But my backlog is huge so i'll have a ton to play. Games that wouldn't warrant big screen time and not lag sensitive.

Killjoy-NL

Yeah i don't think Remote Play is suited to twitchy 60fps shooters where ever frame counts. I also wouldn't want to play Spider-man 2 on it. That's a big TV type game.
But my backlog is huge so i'll have a ton to play. Games that wouldn't warrant big screen time and not lag sensitive.
Yeah, certain games are meant to be played on a big tv, or at least on a tv. Lol

But there is more than enough that are great to use Remote Play for.
After all, Remote Play is an alternative or back-up method of playing, not the main method.

This is far too niche to make my any sense in my head.

Still, if you absolutely can't live without a £/$/€200 remote device you can use to play your ps5 games in bed or on the toilet, then I'm sure it'll be worth your time.

PanzerCute

Unknown how popular it in the Netherlands at the moment, but looking around it seems to be selling well at least. Mediamarkt Amsterdam is sold out compared to this morning, but Almere (where I bought mine) and a few others still show as having stock, most stores have nothing left though. Gamemania and Coolblue is sold out though. Buying direct from Playstation is still possible as well.
Same situation here in France: I looked this morning and the thing was available on Amazon, FNAC and all the other big market places, now it's sold out. I also checked at the biggest video games retailer who had stock on every shop in Paris this morning : they are all sold out now.

But tbh I don't think the stocks were huge.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
200? Nope.

PSVR2 is similarly overpriced since it's locked to the PS5 but competing with standalone+PC-ready devices like the Quest3.

Sony doesn't seem to grasp that devices locked to their one console and shop, that can't be used for anything else (...imagine a steam link client on this portal, would change everything), are simply not worth these insane amounts.

64bitbros

This is far too niche to make my any sense in my head.

Still, if you absolutely can't live without a £/$/€200 remote device you can use to play your ps5 games in bed or on the toilet, then I'm sure it'll be worth your time.
Oeh, a snobbish i-look-at-you-from-above-you-simple-peasants remark. Thats new.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So it does exactly what Sony said it would do (and seems to do it fairly well) and is only $200 but getting bashed by several reviewers because it can't do more?

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson
Tried opening a beerbottle screen cracked this device fucking sucks bro

Got mine will test it in some minutes.. want to do some gaming in the office during breaks can’t wait to test it

Last edited:

demigod

How many did they get? I called my local target and they said they are getting a whopping 2 units.

Top Bottom