• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal reviews

Interfectum

The Portal has an Airplane Mode . . .

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News
Confused Thinking GIF

What do you mean? That you're remote playing via BT? I don't think that would work.
I think you can direct connect to the PS5 with their Playstaiton Link protocol. That also connects tot he new headset and earbuds. I might be wrong. It doesn't have bluetooth at all. I was just using that as a comparison to how airplane mode possibly works. Dunno.

Roxkis_ii

Got my PS5 wired and my wifi at home has ~400+Mbps download with /65+Mbps upload.

I assume that should be more than enough for stable Remote Play.
Curious as to whether it will be enough to have decent connection for online multiplayer.

Not too worried, if I can play sp or more laid back multiplayer it's fine enough.
Portal is meant as a back-up for when I can't use my tv, it's not going to be my main method for gaming.
I have a similar setup and I don't think I could play any games that require tight timing with remote play.

Seas of stars is playable, Returnal, not so much.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hey if the lag isnt and issue im in. Can play games on it while I watch shit on tv.

I think you can direct connect to the PS5 with their Playstaiton Link protocol. That also connects tot he new headset and earbuds. I might be wrong. It doesn't have bluetooth at all. I was just using that as a comparison to how airplane mode possibly works. Dunno.
Is the PlayStation Link protocol just Wi-Fi Direct pretty much? I wonder what the range and performance is for it.

I own a Backbone. Is there any advantages this has over that?
I have a backbone and ipad with a dualsense, and both of those options suck compared to what this will do.
I want 1 single device with dualsense features. With a screen bigger than my phone, but I can still take at all around my house easily.
If that's not enough for you to spend $200, then it ain't for you I guess.

CobraAB

This thin looks to be a bit of a turd.

The G Cloud can play some Android games and such and stream from Cloud services. Granted, it is like $300 to $350.

The Portal is just flat out streaming from your PS5 and that is it. Dual Sense control is really the only unique aspect of it.

Sybrix

You need a strong WiFi, going by the reviews.

I don't understand who the market for this is.

A Switch is the perfect remote console, you can play it anywhere, i.e. the whole point of a remote console.

For this product, you have to have another console (PS5), turned on and be on the same network as it................... wtf?

Who is buying this? Someone who wants to play while someone else watches TV?

A Switch is the perfect remote console, you can play it anywhere, i.e. the whole point of a remote console.

For this product, you have to have another console (PS5), turned on and be on the same network as it................... wtf?

This is for people who live the PlayStation Lifestyle.

TVItuLb.jpg

Last edited:

midnightAI

Actually..... you know what..... no, I'm not going to answer this

I don't get the disconnect people are having going from praising the use of portables around the house when you want to spend more time with family, when the tv is in use, laying in bed, taking a shit, etc but suddenly people are derping out on what possible use the portal is.

It works well, fast, has the comfort and features of the dual sense, and offers up the other mentioned benefits. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it's use is pretty obvious.

6 hours, get the fuck outta here with that bs. I have NEVER gotten anywhere close to that and im sure you haven’t either.
You should if you're just streaming, I've seen people get around 6 hours streaming Moonlight, I can't see that being any different to streaming PS5 games.

Elios83

Haven't seen the reviews, but judging from your comments welp, there goes my self Christmas gift, I guess.

You should check first who are making such comments 🤣

Read the reviews, the device is great at what it is supposed to do, so if you're interested in a PS5 WIFI remote player it's great.

Some people just don't get that simply because something is not meant for them it doesn't mean others won't find it useful (if you have a shared TV among many family members, if you like to play on the bed, if you travel and have access to a good wifi network and so on).

its essentially a wii u gamepad that runs exclusively on wi-fi but with a bisected dualsense controller

I never saw a need for it but from the last thread you’d think it’s like the second coming of jim ryan for some people.
It's the most, "this is awesome at something, but I don't need it and can't convince myself to ever buy it" device I've ever seen.

Kataploom

Gold Member

So basically they copied the Wii U a decade later with way worse streaming quality? The sole reason Sony didn't copy Nintendo that time around was because the console flopped but they had to in the end lol

The lag feels above 100ms btw, I remember Wii U game pad having 1ms or so, it was literally faster to stream games to it through wireless connection than it was to the TV through HDMI cable.

Last edited:
The Portal has an Airplane Mode . . .

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News
Gave me a hefty PS chortle.. Seems like an elaborate april fools joke. I suppose some "gaming dads" or whatever will find it useful but really seems like a irrelevant accessory. I had one of those mini keyboards that attached to the dualshock3. Thought it was going to change my gaming career! But I ended up never using it.

Can I attach the VR headset to the portal and play by myself in the closet, away from my unbearable family because all they ever do is hog the tv and watch annoying adult shows?

Phase

I don't get the disconnect people are having going from praising the use of portables around the house when you want to spend more time with family, when the tv is in use, laying in bed, taking a shit, etc but suddenly people are derping out on what possible use the portal is.

It works well, fast, has the comfort and features of the dual sense, and offers up the other mentioned benefits. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it's use is pretty obvious.
Can you turn on your PS5 with the Portal?

Implement second screen features and let us be able to use it as a controller (Wii-U style) and the bang for buck ratio will soar!

As it is, I'd rather buy an old-ass Samsung S8+ or Note, a controller clamp for the dualsense and call it a day.

leo-j

Can you turn on your PS5 with the Portal?
If your ps5 is in rest mode u can remotely turn it on as long as you are on a wifi connection, in fact you can totally use this anywhere there is a strong wifi connection and play your ps5 games on the go with the dual sense features as long as the wifi works well.

GHG

I don't understand why my Quest 3 can't just stream directly to my phone. Why do all these devices have to go through a Router? Is it part of the Wifi spec or something?

It's something to do with how Wi-Fi works but I don't know the in's and outs of the hardware side of things to be honest. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to explain.

But what I don't understand is why they didn't come up with a direct connection solution, even if it involved neccetating a dongle of some sort that needed to be plugged into the PS5.

Because as it stands this is trash, and only becomes even more trash if you don't have a good enough router/WiFi connection.

Top Bottom