• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal reviews

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I use my backbone a lot and always find I hate the sticks. Aiming, in Horizon for example, is horrendous and not due to delay. I definitely fall into this niche; it's perfect for couch gaming downstairs when the kids are in bed and I still wanna "hang out" with my wife
Our son is grown and out of the house but my wife and I sit outside a lot while she reads and I play on the ipad so this device is perfect for me as well

Does it also turn on your TV and switch to the correct HDMI channel? Because that would suck.
I doubt it turns on the TV but can't answer that

Phase

If your ps5 is in rest mode u can remotely turn it on as long as you are on a wifi connection, in fact you can totally use this anywhere there is a strong wifi connection and play your ps5 games on the go with the dual sense features as long as the wifi works well.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Well, I hope my brother likes it as he ordered one yesterday.

leo-j

I don’t know why I expected better results. Also, not sure why it doesn’t have the option to connect directly to the PS5, instead of having to go through the local network.
I think the PlayStation link connection is stronger than just using remote play with WiFi on another device, the spawn point review mentioned it’s a bit better than using a backbone and an iPhone as an example to stream via remote play

StueyDuck

pretty much what i expected, I do remember gaf telling me all the kids at school would be using this and that it's going to be one of the most popular handheld devices so i'm keen to see if that pans out

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Man the tech elitism around these type of streaming devices is something else. Not everyone has multiple gaming devices and/or game libraries.

If you only have a PS5 and don't want to double dip on a separate gaming ecosystem for a handheld this is a decent option for $200 imo. Don't have to worry about storage etc.

Killjoy-NL

I don't understand who the market for this is.

A Switch is the perfect remote console, you can play it anywhere, i.e. the whole point of a remote console.

For this product, you have to have another console (PS5), turned on and be on the same network as it................... wtf?

Who is buying this? Someone who wants to play while someone else watches TV?
You ever been in a situation where your gf is watching one of her soaps or temptation Island or some nonsense and you rather feel like playing a videogame?

Or when your kids are watching Paw Patrol?

midnightAI

It's something to do with how Wi-Fi works but I don't know the in's and outs of the hardware side of things to be honest. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to explain.

But what I don't understand is why they didn't come up with a direct connection solution, even if it involved neccetating a dongle of some sort that needed to be plugged into the PS5.

Because as it stands this is trash, and only becomes even more trash if you don't have a good enough router/WiFi connection.
Because your router likely has a stronger signal (and placed in a better position) to service your entire house?

(and as I posted elsewhere, some people (like me) have signal boosters around their house to get a good network signal anywhere not just near the router, or in this case, the PS5)

Last edited:
Hold up. Wasn't we told the physical game market going digital was also another reason to cut back on 'plastic use'
nobody said this
pretty much what i expected, I do remember gaf telling me all the kids at school would be using this and that it's going to be one of the most popular handheld devices so i'm keen to see if that pans out
or this
You ever been in a situation where your gf is watching one of her soaps or temptation Island or some nonsense and you rather feel like playing a videogame?

Or when your kids are watching Paw Patrol?
What do you mean I can’t just turn on the TV and play in my room? What do you mean I live with someone that would like to be in the same room with me? Girlfriend? Child? Wife?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If the gadget did streaming of games and movie apps, I can see a much bigger purpose. Lie in bed and watch Netflix on a decently big screen instead of a phone of tablet. Also with gamepad grip it's easier to hold and use gamepad controls than touch screen.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

nobody said this

or this

What do you mean I can’t just turn on the TV and play in my room? What do you mean I live with someone that would like to be in the same room with me? Girlfriend? Child? Wife?
Or husband/bf, depending on your sex and/or preferences. No judgement here.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If the gadget did streaming of games and movie apps, I can see a much bigger purpose. Lie in bed and watch Netflix on a decently big screen instead of a phone of tablet. Also with gamepad grip it's easier to hold and use gamepad controls than touch screen.
Surely thats coming I would think

I hope at least

AmuroChan

I don't really understand the backlash. Not every device has to have mass appeal, and a product shouldn't not exist because YOU don't have a use case for it. This happens to be a device that I've been waiting for. I've been using the Backbone with my phone for a while now and the experience is just not ideal. A dedicated streaming mobile device is exactly what would like. Is $200 a lot? Sure, but niche products generally are more pricey. And to put it into perspective, the Backbone is $99 and you have to pay a monthly sub to use all of its features.

Shifty1897

Battery life better than expected, latency is good/better than a phone if you have modern WiFi, and the 1080p screen is big, bright, and as good as an LCD is gonna get.

Can't wait for Wednesday. My wife will be on call at the hospital all night and I can play this while my kid watches all his terrible toddler shows on the big TV.

midnightAI

Sony have a strong history of releasing flop hardware on the back of the successful PlayStation name. This continues that trend it seems.
Wait, this has flopped already? no-one bought it? crap, I dont even have mine yet, are Sony going to discontinue it? The first few months of sales must have been terrible, do you have the figures?

Kupfer

5 hours is fucking good. You can’t even get 2 hours from Steam Deck.
If you use the Steam Deck like a Portal and stream your PS5 games to it, batterylife is more like 5 hours as well, probably even longer ( 7w to 8w with 40wh battery, do the maths ). The OLED version with its' 50wh battery will hold up even better.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I'm very interested in who told you that.
I couldn't care to go back to when it was announced and see who it was that argued with me on that, but there were quite a few die hards shouting people down in a thread telling them this was gonna be the next coming.

I'm working from home, in a mind numbing meeting, just out of reach of being able to play my PS5 . . . if only I had a use case for this thing!

StereoVsn

You can't compare a fucking streaming device to a handheld PC lol. You compare streaming devices to other streaming devices. And the Portal has got to be the worst-in-class battery life for a streaming device.
Steam deck can do solid 3-4 hours when streaming. You don’t need 12-15w for that. Set the deck at 6-7w and it will be fine for streaming.

th4tguy

I own a Backbone. Is there any advantages this has over that?
Freeing up your phone? Good for kids who don’t have phones?
I want one as I end up spending 90% of my time playing my ps5 remotely.
It’s in the living room and I’ve got 3 young kids so I play remotely upstairs in the office. My kids do the same when they play the ps5 so as to not be taking up the tv.
This would be great for them as I don’t have to give up my laptop or phone for them to play.

Lack of Bluetooth sucks hard though. Like damn.

I do think the backbone is a great alternative option though. Half the price too. Just a smaller screen.
I’d already have a backbone but I’m still on an iPhone with a lightning port and plan to update to a new usbc iPhone sometime next year. I’ll need a usbc back one which I couldn’t use until I update.

I’m pretty positive that cloud play will be added next year which will add a lot of value.

Last edited:
Maybe if they designed it too have little to no lag, it would have been useful, then again u would have to be in the same same room as the ps5, which kinda kills it’s usefulness, Sony bring vita 2, no one wants this shit.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Freeing up your phone? Good for kids who don’t have phones?
I want one as I end up spending 90% of my time playing my ps5 remotely.
It’s in the living room and I’ve got 3 young kids so I play remotely upstairs in the office. My kids do the same when they play the ps5 so as to not be taking up the tv.
This would be great for them as I don’t have to give up my laptop or phone for them to play.

Lack of Bluetooth sucks hard though. Like damn.

I do think the backbone is a great alternative option though. Half the price too. Just a smaller screen.
I’d already have a backbone but I’m still on an iPhone with a lightning port and plan to update to a new usbc iPhone sometime next year. I’ll need a usbc back one which I couldn’t use until I update.

I’m pretty positive that cloud play will be added next year which will add a lot of value.
I have an S1 Ultra. I don't think my screen is THAT much smaller.

My only complaint with the Backbone is that the shoulder buttons are a bit soft

elmos-acc

I thought that when the product releases and people will get their hands on it, there would be something interesting about the product that would justify it's existence.

But no. It's not terrible, but for such a niche use (people who basically want to play their PS5 in their bed on a small screen) it is a waste of R&D and marketing resources, components, shipping containers and store shelves. And average consumers are going to be very confused by it, which will no doubt hurt the PlayStation brand.

aclar00

More power to those of you who purchase this thing, but this shit is just Sony being Sony. They just love to half ass some shit (hardware or supportwise) and then later blame it on the market. This will be the first hardware flop and i fear PSVR2 may not be too far behind.

IMO they were probably better of making a BackBone style Dual Sense that was compatible with a variety of cellphones and tablets and that could also snap together like a Switch controller and be used directly with PS5. Remote play is what, 90% software anyway, just about any hardware can be used.

But unfortunately, Sony cant really get there shit together when it comes to the various departments/subsidiaries or whatever working together. Fuckers have too many things that dont work together seemlessly...and not all shit needs to be branded Playstation to do so.

Everything can revolve around Playstation, without being labeled Playstation. Their TV and audio components at the bare minimum should work flawlessly with Playstation.

Top Bottom