• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation State of Play Announced for May 30th

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony don't care about us Europoors
American Wrestling GIF

nial

Gold Member

There's gonna be some other announcement that's not a game (?

Also, no mention of Concord or the much-rumored Horizon games. They've likely given those to Geoff's Summer Game Fest.

Is it my idea, or is he listing only 13 games?

Perrott

The og post are from a leaker on Twitter, weak enough SoT to be real tbh
I meant the image with a list in the tweet, that's from a user making their best guess on the front page of the Era thread. I know the actual leaks are from a Twitter leaker.
Is it my idea, or is he listing only 13 games?
The hint that mentions "open worlds with an Asian feel" or something along those lines is in plural. That might fill the voids.

Last edited:

Elios83

If that's it then that fucked. I would have expected at least two games from whatever is to come next year.

But that list looks uneventful and random enough to be real.

If you expect that that's your fault given that they already stated the event is 2024 focused.

The show is mainly about Concord and the next Astrobot as far as new announcements are concerned.

Perrott

Could it be?

I don't know. Apparently Nick has edited his tweet with a list of leaked SoP games to remove Gravity Rush 2 from it.

The State of Play is getting less exciting by the minute. Its actually insane to see how they might have dropped the ball so hard when compared to the January SoP.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't know. Apparently Nick has edited his tweet with a list of leaked SoP games to remove Gravity Rush 2 from it.

The State of Play is getting less exciting by the minute. Its actually insane to see how they might have dropped the ball so hard when compared to the January SoP.
I mean we see why its not a "Showcase" and kind of feels like they are just doing this SoP because they felt like they had to

YOOOOO what the fuck. Is this going to finally be some kind of answer to Xbox and steal the show from Hellblade and CoD or will they just blow it with random indie shit again.

Nevertheless this is a very interesting stealth drop.

I kind of have a feeling that Concord will be the last game shown. Maybe an actual gameplay trailer. Can't imagine anything else exciting will be shown. Who knows at this rate.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member

I'm dying on this hill myself, everything else that looks good/interesting is just a bonus for me.
Astro Bot is my most wanted SIE project of the entire generation, so I'm pretty good for now.
Them obviously having a Showcase on September also makes it easier for the time being.

Mr.Phoenix

Well, Sony already stated in the State of Play announcement from yesterday that all PS Studios games shown would be for this year only, not 2025 and beyond.

If you expect that that's your fault given that they already stated the event is 2024 focused.

The show is mainly about Concord and the next Astrobot as far as new announcements are concerned.
And that's what my issue is.

If you look at the usual release cadence of games, they show the game, then at its second showing show gameplay/live demo + release date, then a couple of trailers here and there leading up to launch. And this usually happens over a 2-3 year period.

So if we are not seeing anything other than what is to come this year (and mind you nearly everything that has been rumored to be shown has been previously announced...), it means that everything else is further behind than anyone could think. That would mean things like GoT2, TLoU3, whatever Bluepoint, housemarque, bend and SSM are working on... hell even Wolverine... have no chance in hell to release next year.

Unless you guys think those bigger games will all be announced and release in the same year.

Well, there is always the possibility that they do another show later this year that covers future projects... just saying that I am getting a little concerned. I have been a PS gamer since its conception, and this is the first time that I have no idea what is even coming next year much worse in two years.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

If you look at the usual release cadence of games, they show the game, then at its second showing show gameplay/live demo + release date, then a couple of trailers here and there leading up to launch. And this usually happens over a 2-3 year period.

So if we are not seeing anything other than what is to come this year (and mind you nearly everything that has been rumored to be shown has been previously announced...), it means that everything else is further behind than anyone could think. That would mean things like GoT2, TLoU3, whatever Bluepoint, housemarque, bend and SSM are working on... hell even Wolverine... have no chance in hell to release next year.

Unless you guys think those bigger games will all be announced and release in the same year.

Well, there is always the possibility that they do another show later this year that covers future projects... just saying that I am getting a little concerned. I have been a PS gamer since its conception, and this is the first time that I have no idea what is even coming next year much worse in two years.
The Insomniac leak already showed Venom 2025, Wolverine 2026. No idea if that changes, just an FYI for you.

And I would assume Fairgames has a shot at 2025, but we haven't seen any footage yet.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

The Insomniac leak already showed Venom 2025, Wolverine 2026. No idea if that changes, just an FYI for you.

And I would assume Fairgames has a shot at 2025, but we haven't seen any footage yet.
:messenger_pensive: You see? This just made me more worried.

First, I am not buying the whole venom thingy... and if that is true, at best its some sort of DLC?

But look at that, the Wolverine 2026 thing, I don't have a problem with it coming in 2026, but it proved my point, there is usually a long lead time between when a game is announced, and when it releases. Usually no less than 2 years. For the bigger titles. So that means anything that is not announced this year, has a very slim chance of even making it by 2026. They could surprise us... but just going off how things are historically.. its a safe assumption to make.

And that is what concerns me, be it Playstation, or the development landscape, its setting this weird trend. We really are getting to a time where we see one game per gen from most of these studios. If these studios' next games all come with 2026-2028, which by all indications seems like what is going to happen, that means that the PS6 early years is going to be littered with remasters and patches just like the PS5 was, and then we see the actual good stuff all crammed in around the tail end of that gen too.

Maybe I am just thinking too far ahead and worrying about nothing...

Punished Miku

:messenger_pensive: You see? This just made me more worried.

First, I am not buying the whole venom thingy... and if that is true, at best its some sort of DLC?

But look at that, the Wolverine 2026 thing, I don't have a problem with it coming in 2026, but it proved my point, there is usually a long lead time between when a game is announced, and when it releases. Usually no less than 2 years. For the bigger titles. So that means anything that is not announced this year, has a very slim chance of even making it by 2026. They could surprise us... but just going off how things are historically.. its a safe assumption to make.

And that is what concerns me, be it Playstation, or the development landscape, its setting this weird trend. We really are getting to a time where we see one game per gen from most of these studios. If these studios' next games all come with 2026-2028, which by all indications seems like what is going to happen, that means that the PS6 early years is going to be littered with remasters and patches just like the PS5 was, and then we see the actual good stuff all crammed in around the tail end of that gen too.

Maybe I am just thinking too far ahead and worrying about nothing...
I've been saying that for a while and people laughed at me. I think PS5 is going to have a banger last year or two, 2026 - 2027. Likely PS6 2027 or 2028.

I did forget Death Stranding is also pretty much locked for 2025, so 2-3 games that we know of.

Mr.Phoenix

I've been saying that for a while and people laughed at me. I think PS5 is going to have a banger last year or two, 2026 - 2027. Likely PS6 2027 or 2028.

I did forget Death Stranding is also pretty much locked for 2025, so 2-3 games that we know of.
Yeah, seems like what is going to happen. I know of the third-party stuff. Its the first-party stuff that I am worried about. Its not like I am not going to have stuff to play, there is, I am just looking at how things seem to be playing out within PlayStation studios.

Elios83

Another event later this year is pretty much guaranteed by the PS5 Pro announcement.
They have already confirmed to investors that they have major releases scheduled for 2025 and 2026:

v95as48.jpeg

Their marketing has changed, they want to be in full control of their announcements without being dictated the schedule by particular events , they don't care about announcing things years in advance to keep some people online hyped. It has been like that for a few years it should be clear.

Mr.Phoenix

Another event later this year is pretty much guaranteed by the PS5 Pro announcement.
They have already confirmed to investors that they have major releases scheduled for 2025 and 2026:

v95as48.jpeg

Their marketing has changed, they want to be in full control of their announcements without being dictated the schedule by particular events , they don't care about announcing things years in advance to keep some people online hyped. It has been like that for a few years it should be clear.
Thanks. I missed this.

But to address some stuff. I don't think its about keeping people hyped. I think its perfectly fine to announce something at least 18-24 months before its intended release. ANd it speaks to an organizations prowess if you can keep that train going year in year out. As opposed to having pockets of news here and there and then complete silence in between.

And FY2025/2026 can still just as easily translate to games releasing in 2026 and 2027 calendar years.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Yea about that. Sony sent out a survey yesterday and the first question seemed to be gauging interest in a new console.

aOA7ZMM.jpeg

The first question had answers about spending extra for the best tech, having to own multiple consoles, and buying the latest and greatest console.

Elios83

Thanks. I missed this.

But to address some stuff. I don't think its about keeping people hyped. I think its perfectly fine to announce something at least 18-24 months before its intended release. ANd it speaks to an organizations prowess if you can keep that train going year in year out. As opposed to having pockets of news here and there and then complete silence in between.

And FY2025/2026 can still just as easily translate to games releasing in 2026 and 2027 calendar years.

Death Stranding 2 is already a confirmed calendar 2025 release.
According to the Insomniac leak there is a Venom game scheduled for next year.
Bungie should release Marathon next year.
Those are already three major releases.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Yea about that. Sony sent out a survey yesterday and the first question seemed to be gauging interest in a new console.

aOA7ZMM.jpeg

The first question had answers about spending extra for the best tech, having to own multiple consoles, and buying the latest and greatest console.
I really do wonder if it's too late for the Pro at this point. I think Next Gen will be ready around 2027. But I don't follow Pro news closely, so I have no idea.

bender

What time is it?
I really do wonder if it's too late for the Pro at this point. I think Next Gen will be ready around 2027. But I don't follow Pro news closely, so I have no idea.

It will be interesting to see how Sony markets it. I don't think the likes of improved ray tracing or new reconstruction techniques is going to get normies to open their wallets.

M1987

If that leak is real I don't know what the fuck has happened to PlayStation.They basically won't have a true first party game this year apart from Concord

nial

Gold Member
If that leak is real I don't know what the fuck has happened to PlayStation.They basically won't have a true first party game this year apart from Concord
I won't get into the first-party talk again because it's too ridiculous at this point, but Astro Bot is releasing this year.
Were people asking this question in 2015, a year without new retail internally-developed first-party games?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Herman Hurst happened. Last year, he gave us the worst PS conference since the E3 2005 KZ and Motorstorm CG conference. This year hes giving us a shit state of play. Though 99% of state of plays are typically shit anyway. In 2021 and 2022 he skipped e3 showcases altogether.

he's mismanaged the shit out of these legendary studios. They used to win GOTYs every year when Shu was incharge. They havent won since 2020. Wont win shit this year. thats 4 years in a row. from 2013 to 2020, they wont 5 out of the 8 years.

he's given us cross gen stuff and remakes from Sonys biggest studios.

And his reward? A promotion to CEO. We bitch about DEI and woke practices all the time, but this guy is the prime example of failing upwards. he's been a miserable failure these last four years at his job and he is rewarded with CEO. If he was japanese, he would resign in shame. But these suits have no shame. They know they suck. They know they are terrible at their jobs but they cling on taking promotions until they have ruined these previously great companies. I am seeing a direct 1:1 rise to fame that i saw with phil spencer. head of xbox first party for five years failing miserably at producing content. Then gets made CEO and ruins the entire brand.

Herman Hurst happened. Last year, he gave us the worst PS conference since the E3 2005 KZ and Motorstorm CG conference. This year hes giving us a shit state of play. Though 99% of state of plays are typically shit anyway. In 2021 and 2022 he skipped e3 showcases altogether.

he's mismanaged the shit out of these legendary studios. They used to win GOTYs every year when Shu was incharge. They havent won since 2020. Wont win shit this year. thats 4 years in a row. from 2013 to 2020, they wont 5 out of the 8 years.

he's given us cross gen stuff and remakes from Sonys biggest studios.

And his reward? A promotion to CEO. We bitch about DEI and woke practices all the time, but this guy is the prime example of failing upwards. he's been a miserable failure these last four years at his job and he is rewarded with CEO. If he was japanese, he would resign in shame. But these suits have no shame. They know they suck. They know they are terrible at their jobs but they cling on taking promotions until they have ruined these previously great companies. I am seeing a direct 1:1 rise to fame that i saw with phil spencer. head of xbox first party for five years failing miserably at producing content. Then gets made CEO and ruins the entire brand.

Insufferable post honestly

Just because Sony doesn’t do big E3s anymore doesn’t mean Hermen isn’t doing his job

The releases the last few years are consistent, and Sony just released its fastest selling title ever a few months ago that you’ll hand waive away

Last edited:
Admit I haven't played the VR game, but don't understand the hype around Astrobot. Not a great character (does he have any character?) and apart from Mario platformers are pretty much dead (which I say with a heavy heart, as I grew up loving them). Would kill for a new Rayman Legends myself...

sncvsrtoip

If Astorobot is hybrid game that you can play flat or vr then Im happy otherwise will be concerned. Not sure why people were expecting some Naughty Dog game of Tsushima 2 when they announced it will be about games available this year. If Silent hill 2 is solid it will be quite good year for sony without need to release titles from first party studio (ff7 rebirth, stellar blade, ronin, helldivers 2 and Silent Hill 2). Hope Alien vr will be solid.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

If they seriously announce a remaster /make of zero dawn I'll throw up in my mouth that would be such a waste of time money and resources

Top Bottom