• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Grinchy

Banned
For anyone who didn't see, Firewall is getting a PS5 patch.

It sounds like mostly just an increase in resolution for better supersampling. The load times are also said to be improved, but they would have been anyway even without a specific patch. So I can't tell if they even changed anything for that.

Shmunter

It sounds like mostly just an increase in resolution for better supersampling. The load times are also said to be improved, but they would have been anyway even without a specific patch. So I can't tell if they even changed anything for that.

Stop, you’re giving me an erection

It loads faster so you can spend more time in the lobby

Btw, who are they trying to fool that that jaggy mess (or blurriness) has supersampling on Pro?

how about rather than just switching a resolution parameter adding shadow projections or physics to scenery props? Nah, PS4-compat can't give any of that... all these boost mode announcements are moot

Last edited:

Shmunter

Btw, who are they trying to fool that that jaggy mess (or blurriness) has supersampling on Pro?

how about rather than just switching a resolution parameter adding shadow projections or physics to scenery props? Nah, PS4-compat can't give any of that... all these boost mode announcements are moot
Way to pessimistic. Rendering the game at e.g. full 4k in boost will be a huge benefit. Really in VR res and framerate are priority.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm definitely not our biggest Firewall fan. The ratio of waiting to playing was insanely in favor of the waiting. They screwed up some fundamentals that, if not screwed up, would have made it PSVR's Socom.

But I'll probably check it out again some day on the PS5. Really major supersampling would help the image quality massively. And if they actually changed something to make the loads into and out of the maps just a few seconds, that would go a long way to helping the fluidity of playing it, too.

Romulus

Since you moved to Quest you seem extremely anti-PSVR. No one has tested any of these updates yet.

Last edited:

Resenge

Since you moved to Quest you seem extremely anti-PSVR. No one has tested any of these updates yet.
He used to be anti Quest when he didnt have one and used PSVR, saying things like Quest only has tech demos and minigames. This thread is just a sample. Its a shame he has to act the way he does, just seems he cannot help but be a fanboy to whatever console he has at the moment.

Last edited:

Sony and their poor handling of psvr pushed me to Quest and thus to become anti-psvr by realizing how dated and limited it is

it still could get a very worthwhile boost from PS5 to handle bigger games. Instead, it's getting old PS4 VR games the resolution they should've had to begin with. See why I'm not raving?

Last edited:

Romulus

Iron Man VR

Ars technica :

In my testing, an Iron Man VR campaign level that loaded in 126 seconds on PS4 Pro now takes 78 seconds when installed to PS5's internal NVMe storage or 100 seconds when installed to an external, platter-based drive. And where the campaign level in question (Chapter 3, in virtual Shanghai) was once the game's most obvious source of stuttering, it now runs at a locked 120Hz (albeit driven by interpolation from 60Hz). And it does this no matter how many robots or effects appear in the game world.

Grinchy

Banned
I definitely want to check out Iron Man on this new white beast, but it's like 60gb and space is going to be a real issue.

Maybe I'll transfer it over either way, but I don't think it can stay long.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No adapter FFS and my ps5 will arrive in like 10 days too🤣🤣. Omg

i just bought and refunded population one like 1 hour ago in quest

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah there's no sign of my adapter. I called in, got told I'd receive an email for the next step, no email ever came.

I've seen tons of people on reddit telling that same story. Some of them ended up getting one delivered out of nowhere, so I guess I'll just keep waiting. I wanted to see how much better the loading times were in Skyrim VR.

Wonko_C

I'm in the same boat but that was not unexpected. Only got the first mail where it says they'll contact me when it ships but nada so far.

Last edited:
PS5 then: instantaneous loading of Spiderman huge NY map, 4K 120Hz in many games

PS5 now: 78 seconds to load an indie psvr game level with PS2 graphics at a blazing fast 60fps

again, sorry I'm not hyped

Resenge

PS5 then: instantaneous loading of Spiderman huge NY map, 4K 120Hz in many games

PS5 now: 78 seconds to load an indie psvr game level with PS2 graphics at a blazing fast 60fps

again, sorry I'm not hyped
Yes we get it your a fanboy that has dropped PSVR now because it's for peasants, you mention it every chance you get. Funny how you say it has PS2 lvl graphics but are happy with the Quest, PSVR has better graphics, resolution and FPS over Quest on PS5. Is Hitman coming to Quest? How about an improved Blood and Truth? That game looks better than anything you will ever see on the Quest.

Heres a fresh take, nobody cares that your not hyped about PSVR. Why cant you just be happy with the headset you own without shitting on the headset others use?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yes we get it your a fanboy that has dropped PSVR now because it's for peasants, you mention it every chance you get. Funny how you say it has PS2 lvl graphics but are happy with the Quest, PSVR has better graphics, resolution and FPS over Quest on PS5. Is Hitman coming to Quest? How about an improved Blood and Truth? That game looks better than anything you will ever see on the Quest.

Heres a fresh take, nobody cares that your not hyped about PSVR. Why cant you just be happy with the headset you own without shitting on the headset others use?
The quest 2 headset shits on everything else tbh 🤘😂🤘

Resenge

The quest 2 headset shits on everything else tbh 🤘😂🤘
Its a great jack of all trades, I love it. I was going to get the reverb G2 but I am happy with wireless PCVR and not sure I wanna go back to wired. Even stopped using Rift S in favour of Quest 2 and virtual desktop. I think Oculus were correct to abandon the Rift line for the Quest.

Rudius

Sony and their poor handling of psvr pushed me to Quest and thus to become anti-psvr by realizing how dated and limited it is

it still could get a very worthwhile boost from PS5 to handle bigger games. Instead, it's getting old PS4 VR games the resolution they should've had to begin with. See why I'm not raving?
Did you manage to get the PSVR adapter? I contacted Sony 2 times via chat and they said they would send me an e-mail, but I got nothing "lollipop_disappointed:

Rudius

Its a great jack of all trades, I love it. I was going to get the reverb G2 but I am happy with wireless PCVR and not sure I wanna go back to wired. Even stopped using Rift S in favour of Quest 2 and virtual desktop. I think Oculus were correct to abandon the Rift line for the Quest.
I just want the PSVR2 as soon as possible, with the same controller technology and super fast loading of PS5 games. I hope they announce it next year after the dust has settled.

Resenge

I just want the PSVR2 as soon as possible, with the same controller technology and super fast loading of PS5 games. I hope they announce it next year after the dust has settled.
Me too. I am hopeful that Sony will go with a wireless headset with inside out tracking, I will be there day one at the PSVR 2 release date, Sony exclusives are too good to ignore.

Funny how you say it has PS2 lvl graphics

but are happy with the Quest, PSVR has better graphics, resolution and FPS over Quest on PS5.

great, so after 4 years of minigames with blurry graphics in a $400+$400 VR setup, you can finally get those old minigames a sharpness upgrade (still limited by 1080p display) for a mere extra $400!

if I were a fanboy I'd be so raving for this

Is Hitman coming to Quest?

if Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and NMS are any hint, yes, it's coming to pcvr and so available for Quest. If not, I don't care for playing games in VR with gamepad.

How about an improved Blood and Truth? That game looks better than anything you will ever see on the Quest.

Aside from Dreams, whose thermo limits for overall detail are lifted heavily on PS5 as expected, I don't mind replaying old games with sharper resolution on PS5, specially a game which was already a pretty great showcase.

psvr on its own looks like a boring (deep) black screen on all games and Q2 beats it with superior sharpness on its Xbox-looking games.

When hooked to a PS5 psvr may have slightly better sharpness on old games, but when hooked to a pc, Q2 will look better, including actual sharp NMS, and also play Dirt Rally 2.0 VR and others not available on PS5

a big thank you to Sony for the decision to kill psvr on PS5 and push me to a better platform and a fuck you for being such a blind fanboy not to admit the drastic difference between hype and reality

Unknown?

Yeah there's no sign of my adapter. I called in, got told I'd receive an email for the next step, no email ever came.

I've seen tons of people on reddit telling that same story. Some of them ended up getting one delivered out of nowhere, so I guess I'll just keep waiting. I wanted to see how much better the loading times were in Skyrim VR.
Mine came yesterday. Got no update from Sony or any parcel delivery company.

Resenge

great, so after 4 years of minigames with blurry graphics in a $400+$400 VR setup, you can finally get those old minigames a sharpness upgrade (still limited by 1080p display) for a mere extra $400!
Did you not just buy a new headset for 300 to play minigames? according to this post you did....
why, too many minigames?

and will they really accept a return all greasy and with scratched lenses?
personally, not a fan of minigames and fitness, so to me that would be valid enough reason
Hypocritical much? You flip flop more than a fish out of water.

if Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and NMS are any hint, yes, it's coming to pcvr and so available for Quest.
Ok but....
I really don't think the popularity of the Quest has anything to do with pcvr at all - it's simply not its main audience. The Quest sold on the idea of not needing a costly pc to play VR and it struck a nerve with exactly those people who don't have one.

fuck you for being such a blind fanboy not to admit the drastic difference between hype and reality
tenor.gif

Funny how I am asking you to not be such a fanboy and shit on something for no reason and I am the fanboy?

Ok so you upgraded to a Quest, good. Go and enjoy it. No need to interrupt a perfectly reasonable conversation about PSVR and take a big steaming pile of shit on it to relieve yourself. Nobody cares that you don't like PSVR, just move on. There is enough console warring and negative opinions about VR on here without you adding your crap to it also. As someone who enjoys VR I would have thought you would understand that.

i-have-a-great-idea-lets-love-each-other.jpg

Last edited:

Resenge

Man, I feel bad for those waiting on their adapter. Sony sent me mine without a notice then they sent me another one.
I have two headsets so ordered 2 but used a different address for my second one. I got a confirmation email that they recieved my request but had nothing since. Still got 6 days before the PS5 is out here so I still hold out hope it will come before. If not though I guess its not the end of the world, I guess Sony will end up sending one eventually.

Resenge

I don't think the likes of Death Horizon, In Death or Quake are minigames.

just block me and live on, dude.
Of course you don't now, that is my point. I would rather communicate with you without all this bullshit. I enjoy some of your comments I just do not understand your negativity on some things.

I am just asking you to not shit on things for no good reason, then we can discuss fun VR things without negativity. Its not too much to ask is it?

Last edited:

Wonko_C

This is the official thread about PSVR so please let's focus on that platform here.

Someone please test No Man's Sky VR mode on PS5, I wanna know if Hello Games patched it. Hopefully they did something, anything regarding resolution and framerate.

Robins

I'm from the UK and just got an email today saying my adapter is in the post.

Said to arrive in 4-6 days, hopefully right on time for my PS5

INC

Awesome news for firewall, was to be expected tho. Firewall probably one of the best supported game this gen, not just on vr either

Resenge

This is the official thread about PSVR so please let's focus on that platform here.

Someone please test No Man's Sky VR mode on PS5, I wanna know if Hello Games patched it. Hopefully they did something, anything regarding resolution and framerate.
No difference in quality from what I have heard on reddit, can't find any info on framerate. Still hopeful for a patch though.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I'm from the UK and just got an email today saying my adapter is in the post.

Said to arrive in 4-6 days, hopefully right on time for my PS5
I got a shipping email from PlayStation too...

Your PlayStation®Camera Adaptor is on the way

Great news! Your request for a PlayStation Camera Adaptor has been processed and is on its way to you.

This usually takes approximately 6 to 12 business days.

Make sure you check out our in-depth FAQ to find out more about using the PlayStation Camera Adaptor.

We sincerely thank you for being a loyal PlayStation®VR owner.

Regards,
The PlayStation Team

DinoD

I'd avoid the Sony X900H/XH90 if you intened to use the 120Hz output, owners across multiple avforums have found its 4k 120hz mode to be blurry. See example here, Rtings have confirmed it and HDTV-test asked Sony who said that's by "design" to optimize for motion clarity instead of picture quality, their chipset clearly cant handle it and is resorting to image quality bandwidth downgrades to handle the 4K 120hz signal.

The best HDMI 2.1 display as of now remains the LG CX OLED provided you use it responsibly (because of image retention). 4 HDMI 2.1 ports, no blur at 120hz, no downgrades to image quality in game mode as most LCD's turn off some of their video processing to get lower latency.
Still no adapter here dammit
Still waiting on any signs of life that Sony actually knows they're supposed to send me an adapter after calling in.

Did you guys receive the shipping confirmation email of some sort? All i got was the acknowledgement email, but no status update.

Regards

Grinchy

Banned
Did you guys receive the shipping confirmation email of some sort? All i got was the acknowledgement email, but no status update.

Regards
I didn't even get an acknowledgement email. The guy on the phone said I'd get an email that never came. I specifically asked if he needed my serial number, he said no because he's escalating it to a team who will handle that part.

So I've just never heard back...

Fnord

So... before I drop more cash on HDMI 2.1 cables... Someone set me straight. The PSVR box being between the PS4 and the TV is going to be a problem when trying to utilize HDMI 2.1 features (VRR, 4K 120Hz, etc...), isn't it.

Shmunter

So... before I drop more cash on HDMI 2.1 cables... Someone set me straight. The PSVR box being between the PS4 and the TV is going to be a problem when trying to utilize HDMI 2.1 features (VRR, 4K 120Hz, etc...), isn't it.
I imagine 2.1 will be out of reach off PSVR box

Grinchy

Banned
Just get something like this.

Y71DcVWm.png

You plug this into the back of the PS5. The cable that came with your PS5 will plug into the female end of this. You're all set up for HDMI 2.1 gaming.

If you want to play VR, you just unplug the PS5's HDMI cable from this female end and then plug in the HDMI cable comes from your PSVR box instead. If you want to go back to 4K/120fps, you just swap the cables again.

Last edited:

Fnord

Just get something like this.

Y71DcVWm.png

You plug this into the back of the PS5. The cable that came with your PS5 will plug into the female end of this. You're all set up for HDMI 2.1 gaming.

If you want to play VR, you just unplug the PS5's HDMI cable from this female end and then plug in the HDMI cable comes from your PSVR box instead. If you want to go back to 4K/120fps, you just swap the cables again.

That seems perfect! I was just sitting here trying to work out the best way to leave the PS5 in the entertainment center and still be able to switch out cables for VR and back. It wasn't looking good. This would make it bearable. Thanks!

Top Bottom