• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Grinchy

Banned
After 7 weeks of waiting for any signs of life from Sony that they were going to send me a damn camera adapter and getting nowhere, I just went onto the serial code submission page and started plugging in completely random numbers.

One of them worked lol. It was a complete shot in the dark and it worked. So I was able to put in my shipping information and all of that with a random serial number plucked out of my ass.

Apparently people are even going on Ebay, finding pictures of PSVR listings that show the back of the breakout box, and are using serial numbers that way to get free adapters that they sell for $60+....

circle-strafe

Lol

circle-strafe is a flatgaming artifact: you keep targets in your center view as the whole world spins around you

no need for that waltzing in VR as you can fully follow your targets with your arm while you remain mostly stationary or just walking linearly, no problems

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
After 7 weeks of waiting for any signs of life from Sony that they were going to send me a damn camera adapter and getting nowhere, I just went onto the serial code submission page and started plugging in completely random numbers.

One of them worked lol. It was a complete shot in the dark and it worked. So I was able to put in my shipping information and all of that with a random serial number plucked out of my ass.

Apparently people are even going on Ebay, finding pictures of PSVR listings that show the back of the breakout box, and are using serial numbers that way to get free adapters that they sell for $60+....

Why didn't you just use your own serial number?

Grinchy

Banned
Why didn't you just use your own serial number?
That's the 7 weeks of waiting part. Mine, on the first day of the free adapter thing starting, claimed to have already been used.

I had to call in, get told my case was getting escalated and to look out for an email that never came. I waited a month. I called back in. They said my case was still under review and to sit tight. Another 3 weeks went by and I said fuck it, I'll just try this. There are a bunch of people on Reddit with the exact same problem. This whole system for sending out the adapters is broken as fuck.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's the 7 weeks of waiting part. Mine, on the first day of the free adapter thing starting, claimed to have already been used.

I had to call in, get told my case was getting escalated and to look out for an email that never came. I waited a month. I called back in. They said my case was still under review and to sit tight. Another 3 weeks went by and I said fuck it, I'll just try this. There are a bunch of people on Reddit with the exact same problem. This whole system for sending out the adapters is broken as fuck.

Oh snap! Maybe I should have put my request in for mine on the 1st day. I didn't know people were stealing other people's serial numbers. UGH!

M_A_C

Who did you call? I've never heard anything back from my submission. I guess I need to talk to someone.

Wonko_C

Lol

circle-strafe is a flatgaming artifact: you keep targets in your center view as the whole world spins around you

no need for that waltzing in VR as you can fully follow your targets with your arm while you remain mostly stationary or just walking linearly, no problems
I don't follow. How can I fully walk a complete circle around a target without losing sight of it? I can't twist my arms 360 degrees around me, I'm not a freak, LOL.

get back to life, thread

Hitman 3 is a way better and more substantial game than RE7, Skyrim or Borderlands

I'm so glad for this. Quest 2 is great, but there's no way indies can compete with this at all. Real big, substantial games with as top graphics as VR can get.

you can also replay the missions from the previous games. It's tons and tons of content. If you buy a psvr just for this alone, it already pays off.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hitman VR is going to be amazing. Even after hundreds of hours of Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2. Replaying levels just got better.

I also have my eyes on Sniper Elite VR, which looks promising and perfect for VR.

Rudius

get back to life, thread

Hitman 3 is a way better and more substantial game than RE7, Skyrim or Borderlands

I'm so glad for this. Quest 2 is great, but there's no way indies can compete with this at all. Real big, substantial games with as top graphics as VR can get.

you can also replay the missions from the previous games. It's tons and tons of content. If you buy a psvr just for this alone, it already pays off.
I already have my PS5 and adapter ready for this. I hope it takes some advantage of the extra power, like Blood and Truth.

I already have my PS5 and adapter ready for this. I hope it takes some advantage of the extra power, like Blood and Truth.

I feel absolutely no urge for PS5 - in fact it's bloody disgusting that it's a dead end for psvr. Glad some titles can look slightly better than on Pro, but the need to run PS4 version just kills it - as it prevents games like Dirt Rally 2 or Project Cars VR modes.

besides, Blood and Truth and Hitman 3 already look as good as it gets.

Sony should move their lazy huge profits asses and show service. But I still thank them for bringing the likes of RE7, Skyrim, Borderlands and Hitman 3 to VR and also for pushing me to Oculus.

Rudius

I feel absolutely no urge for PS5 - in fact it's bloody disgusting that it's a dead end for psvr. Glad some titles can look slightly better than on Pro, but the need to run PS4 version just kills it - as it prevents games like Dirt Rally 2 or Project Cars VR modes.

besides, Blood and Truth and Hitman 3 already look as good as it gets.

Sony should move their lazy huge profits asses and show service. But I still thank them for bringing the likes of RE7, Skyrim, Borderlands and Hitman 3 to VR and also for pushing me to Oculus.
To me it all depends on timing. If PSVR2 is close to be released, it makes sense not to confuse people with PS5+PSVR1 games. Best to make new games for the new platform.

However, if they intend to launch it in 2 years, then it's a massive mistake. By then PSVR1 (and PS4) will be completely dead and Oculus would be too far ahead in numbers.

We have to wait and see, but I hope they show the new HMD in 2021.

I'm deeply impressed with what IOI was able to accomplish on PS4 VR:

there's no game looking better in the system and I wouldn't be lying if this is the best looking game ever in VR. which explains all the pcvr fans so butthurt. Yes, this is about same graphical level than Alyx or Asgard's Wrath, except running on ancient hardware and being far more open environments than those.

I have no doubt that eventually it comes to pc too...

Hello Games should be ashamed with their PS2 graphics blurry as hell.

Greggy

I'm deeply impressed with what IOI was able to accomplish on PS4 VR:

there's no game looking better in the system and I wouldn't be lying if this is the best looking game ever in VR. which explains all the pcvr fans so butthurt. Yes, this is about same graphical level than Alyx or Asgard's Wrath, except running on ancient hardware and being far more open environments than those.

I have no doubt that eventually it comes to pc too...

Hello Games should be ashamed with their PS2 graphics blurry as hell.

Is this game out yet? And how do I make sure I've got the PS4 version if I install it on PS5?

EsHSzMwXMAIgrDb

Rudius Rudius fodeu

Brazil issues, nothing to see here... circulating

well, I'm all in for Hitman Trilogy in VR. bought the 2 previous games real cheap on sale and Hitman 3 standard (actually cheaper on PS4)

looks like I'm taking a break from Quest indie minigames for the foreseeable future. Hopefully their library improves a bit until I'm back - but aside from psvr exclusives, I don't see myself enjoying playing VR sitting with limited controls anymore. Though it's not like I've missed much: psvr psn store is an utter disgusting place right now and the last worthwhile game is still SW Squadrons last year...

Rudius

well, I'm all in for Hitman Trilogy in VR. bought the 2 previous games real cheap on sale and Hitman 3 standard (actually cheaper on PS4)

looks like I'm taking a break from Quest indie minigames for the foreseeable future. Hopefully their library improves a bit until I'm back - but aside from psvr exclusives, I don't see myself enjoying playing VR sitting with limited controls anymore. Though it's not like I've missed much: psvr psn store is an utter disgusting place right now and the last worthwhile game is still SW Squadrons last year...
How did you get Hitman cheaper on PS4? Physical?

just about to lose its crown to Hitman 3 as AAA king of psvr, RE7 has updated its stats and finally surpassed 1 million VR players - 1 in every 7 players played it in VR:

No VR announced for RE8, even though same engine and coming to PS4 too.

with both Facebook and Apple basically using VR as stone steps towards useful AR to replace phones soon, truly immersive gaming is at risk of going into the fridge for, like Jim Ryan would say, not this year nor next year. Perhaps next decade, Jim? Don't know if I'll still have working muscles to be a dragonborn inside games any longer by then.

blessed those of us who had a chance to enjoy this absurdly amazing tech. Enjoy while it lasts. as for gaming, just retiring altogether

Romulus

No VR announced for RE8, even though same engine and coming to PS4 too.

with both Facebook and Apple basically using VR as stone steps towards useful AR to replace phones soon, truly immersive gaming is at risk of going into the fridge for, like Jim Ryan would say, not this year nor next year. Perhaps next decade, Jim? Don't know if I'll still have working muscles to be a dragonborn inside games any longer by then.

blessed those of us who had a chance to enjoy this absurdly amazing tech. Enjoy while it lasts. as for gaming, just retiring altogether

I don't think its a done deal, Sony is very tight-lipped about their new headset.
The game is obviously very advanced. People are playing on Ps5 with framerate drops flat mode. So, PS4 PSVR? That won't work. It will need to be PS5 VR and we don't have a headset for exclusive games there yet.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I don't think its a done deal, Sony is very tight-lipped about their new headset.
The game is obviously very advanced. People are playing on Ps5 with framerate drops flat mode. So, PS4 PSVR? That won't work. It will need to be PS5 VR and we don't have a headset for exclusive games there yet.
Pretty sure the PS4 version will run at 30fps so yeah I am not counting on it having a VR mode. And I don't think Capcom will have enough incentive to add it to the PS5 version once PSVR2 is out, the game will already be too old.

Last edited:

Rudius

Pretty sure the PS4 version will run at 30fps so yeah I am not counting on it having a VR mode. And I don't think Capcom will have enough incentive to add it to the PS5 version once PSVR2 is out, the game will already be too old.
It has happened before and should be an easy port on PS5. For an extra 1 million sales it would be worth it to port to PSVR2. I just hope Sony announces the thing soon, so that we at least know what's coming.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It has happened before and should be an easy port on PS5. For an extra 1 million sales it would be worth it to port to PSVR2. I just hope Sony announces the thing soon, so that we at least know what's coming.
I wouldn't expect a PSVR2 announcement until around June/July or "E3 time" if at all this year. Would be nice to have it launch with Sniper Elite VR or something though.

VR grid cage still there in Hitman 3. But damn is that Maldivas island beautiful! I wanna play so hard!

took a break by cruising in Driveclub - still one of my favorite and most relaxing experiences in VR. The tracks around the world are damn gorgeous even blurry and really well connected: while actually racing you don't quite notice this because you're too busy to take in the sights, but the sprawling maps are completely interconnected and you can see in the distance where you came from, where you're heading and you may even go below those spots... why can't more racing games have a cruise mode?

Rudius

VR grid cage still there in Hitman 3. But damn is that Maldivas island beautiful! I wanna play so hard!

took a break by cruising in Driveclub - still one of my favorite and most relaxing experiences in VR. The tracks around the world are damn gorgeous even blurry and really well connected: while actually racing you don't quite notice this because you're too busy to take in the sights, but the sprawling maps are completely interconnected and you can see in the distance where you came from, where you're heading and you may even go below those spots... why can't more racing games have a cruise mode?
Did you tried changing the camera position? That solved the grid issue for some.

Driveclub is awesome. I downloaded it to play on PS5 from time to time. The only advantage in this game is the faster loading. Curiously I didn't find it all that blurry replaying it, not nearly as bad as No Man's Sky.

Speaking of that one, after the PS5 patch it should become a great VRelaxing game, just by exploring the planets in the many vehicles. They added lots of new features that I haven't tried yet, like the living ships and submarines. Can't wait!

Last edited:

John2290

You evil fecker.

N30RYU

Got the launch PSVR version... got some questions on PS5... does the breakout box output 4K HDR? Or If I wanna play non VR games in 4K HDR I have to change the HDMi cable every time?
thanks

Kerotan

Looking at the ps5 shortages Sony made the correct decision not making a new VR for launch. Not only would sales be super low due to ps5 stock shortages it might struggle with manufacturing itself. Software sales would be bad.

At least by holiday 2022 there will be a sizable number of ps5 sold and many more sold the 13 months post launch giving it a reasonable base. Another added benefit is the fact a PSVR2 developed for 2022 will be a bigger upgrade over one developed for 2020.

got back to psvr drawn in by Hitman and since it got me back to ds4, also checked again Doom VFR, Wipeout, RE7 and that psvr hidden gem that was since ported to pcvr (with very bad reviews because gamepad-only) and to switch: The Persistence

damn great game, like Doom 3 and Dead Space had a rogue-lite VR child. Should be more well-known.

I've relegated ds4-only psvr games to the side in favor of Move games, so slowly clearing my backlog.

so I finally finished Mission 2 out of a total 5 (so far) in it. It's not that simple: you'll die a lot until having more endurance and skills and knowing your way through the game and its creepy scifi hallways with ever-changing map layouts filled with mutants.

well, sadly as it's a constant in VR, trophies for that second mission are 15% rare. People buy (or get free keys most probably), play for awhile then go back to slashing boxes or other minigaming VR is best used on...

Last edited:
Top Bottom