• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

R6Rider

Gold Member
needs an expensive console to work, barely better specs than the Quest 2 which works as a standalone and a PC headset.

yes, it's not worth more than 400€
dumb patrick star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Why would you play 2D games on less than optimal headset screens with no HDR and greyest of blacks in 2D, when you can play them on your better TV screen or monitor?
So I can play certain games on a “big screen” while someone else is using the tv in the same room. Right now, I’m just using my iPhone with a backbone.

Also, this will let me play game pass games anywhere in my home, on a “big screen”. My Quest 2 is currently in my bedroom, which is where my baby’s crib is as well. So I have been VR gaming in the dark some nights, just to stay close on those tough nights for her. I purchased this IR device that connects to my headset so that I can play it in the pitch black dark.

Like I said, this is something great for me. I don’t imagine everyone will use it like me.

I was super hyped for PSVR2 until they offered no PSVR backwards compatibility. I have a pretty big PSVR library and I don't think I am ready to pay $600 just to re-buy games I already have or be forced to keep both PSVR & PSVR2 sets , however considering this is the generation of remasters I guess Sony is just betting most people will just double purchase.

I'll pass

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So I can play certain games on a “big screen” while someone else is using the tv in the same room. Right now, I’m just using my iPhone with a backbone.

Also, this will let me play game pass games anywhere in my home, on a “big screen”. My Quest 2 is currently in my bedroom, which is where my baby’s crib is as well. So I have been VR gaming in the dark some nights, just to stay close on those tough nights for her. I purchased this IR device that connects to my headset so that I can play it in the pitch black dark.

Like I said, this is something great for me. I don’t imagine everyone will use it like me.
Okay, and what does any of this have to do with PSVR2 and PlayStation?

YukiOnna

needs an expensive console to work, barely better specs than the Quest 2 which works as a standalone and a PC headset.

yes, it's not worth more than 400€
What? The specs aren't barely better. The panel resolution and display alone is a huge jump over that cheapened out hardware ontop of actually having eye tracking.
PSVR2 is pretty much the best in the market until Valve's next iteration launches.

GHG

Fun, for me?

Please explain what kind of fun you will get that you can't already have. You are a gamepass subscriber and you already have a quest 2 right? If so you can already do whatever the "integration" will do.

Stop being so full of shit. Most blatant shill account I've seen in a while and that's saying something.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

That's the problem with non vr players. They judge vr games based on their experience on flat screens

Very true.

Last night I stood on Triton, one of Neptune's moons in Red Matter 2, and while it's not the most graphically intensive game ever made, it's still pretty damn breathtaking to see it in VR. The whole experience is so vastly different from playing flat games that it's not worth venturing an opinion on it, unless you've had a decent amount of experience.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I've purchased 2 heatsets and my library has carried over even though they were entirely different "platforms" (lenovo WMR to Quest 2).
I specifically called out Quest 2 was when Oculus did a 180 on all of their software handling - not sure what we're even debating here.

People can make all the bullshit excuses they want but if Sony can't figure this out then they will get zero investment from me for VR. Why should I put down this amount of money for experimental early adopter hardware if they can't even respect their beta testers?
Not sure who's this aimed at in particular (I mean - other than Sony - who's most likely not reading this forum).
I already extensively complained about why the approach they took was a mistake IMO (look at the original BC announcement if you don't believe me in this thread), but the point still stands - precedent set by VR industry at large is 'terrible' when it comes to this. No amount of 'but Quest 2' changes the fact that overall - the industry as a whole has been treating consumers poorly here. Sony not helping matters isn't an outlier - it's par for the course.

Whether this indeed - has a tangible impact on the sales or not remains to be seen.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Ah I see, but that's still not VR.
I know. But starting off with this could lead to supporting it down the line. Who knows. I already play non-vr PC games on my Quest 2 on a screen, and it looks just fine. I imagine game pass will look similar, or like the Netflix app.

GHG

I specifically called out Quest 2 was when Oculus did a 180 on all of their software handling - not sure what we're even debating here.

Not sure who's this aimed at in particular (I mean - other than Sony - who's most likely not reading this forum).
I already extensively complained about why the approach they took was a mistake IMO (look at the original BC announcement if you don't believe me in this thread), but the point still stands - precedent set by VR industry at large is 'terrible' when it comes to this. No amount of 'but Quest 2' changes the fact that overall - the industry as a whole has been treating consumers poorly here. Sony not helping matters isn't an outlier - it's par for the course.

Whether this indeed - has a tangible impact on the sales or not remains to be seen.

Quest 1 - - > quest 2 games are BC. They are in the same family. Any games you have purchased on the oculus store for previous devices work on the quest 2. So unless you're talking about the oculus go I have no idea what you're talking about.

tmlDan

I know. But starting off with this could lead to supporting it down the line. Who knows. I already play non-vr PC games on my Quest 2 on a screen, and it looks just fine. I imagine game pass will look similar, or like the Netflix app.
I don't understand why someone would want to do this, unless i missed part of the convo. It seems odd to want something on your head to watch a flat screen and play games, I already hate wearing headphones lol

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I don't understand why someone would want to do this, unless i missed part of the convo. It seems odd to want something on your head to watch a flat screen and play games, I already hate wearing headphones lol
Gaming in the dark next to a baby crib, or on the couch while the wife watches her shows on TLC.

If I won the lottery or came into money, I would do the same thing with the PSVR2 too, lol. Obviously I’d play real VR titles, but I’d also play non-vr games on the headset as well.

Don’t get me wrong though, I still try to do my gaming on the 4k tv as much as I can, but it’s not always an option.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Quest 1 - - > quest 2 games are BC.
Is there a... point in repeating what I said back at me?

So unless you're talking about the oculus go I have no idea what you're talking about.
Go, Gear, Quest and Rift (Also DK1/DK2 and CV1 - because that's one Oculus deserves to be raked over given how quickly they killed compatibility after acquisition) were all incompatible with each other. So was Rift and OpenVR (for 2 years - until Oculus finally relented and allowed it).
Also every other mobile/standalone (of which there's too many to list here) was incompatible with each other and usually their stationary ecosystems - including things like Google creating and killing (within 12 months) a library+"""standard""" of their own.

Last edited:

lachesis

I think it's fair pricing for what it is - but still on the expensive side. I was expecting about $499 or less.
If it supports PC natively, it would be a very tempting proposition... but at this point, will wait for real life reviews and all.
Being little disappointed by original PSVR's messy wire configs and motion sickness (not exclusive to PSVR though) - I'm a bit cautious about it, but would love to give another shot.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just a reminder that No Man's Sky, Sub Nautica, Hitman Trilogy and a few others are VR on gamepass. Just have to launch Steam VR before launching the game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some good stuff in there. Crossfire: Sierra Squad, The Dark Pictures: Switchback, The Light Brigade and Hello Neighbor: Search and Rescue are the all new games I guess. Switchback being a roller coaster shooter is weird, the games were cinematic and they go for the simplest play?

The price is good for what it is. Pass through is probably not there but that's fine for a high end tethered VR kit (even if eventually there's a wireless option you're still not taking it on the go, just within some limits, to play via the PS5). It's still cheap for a high end kit with eye tracking.

Last edited:

sachos

Wow, much more negative response than i expeceted. 550 seems fine to me when you look at the tech in the headset/controllers, its better than pretty much every consumer device available now. No Half Life Alyx or Boneworks is disappointing though.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Wow, much more negative response than i expeceted. 550 seems fine to me when you look at the tech in the headset/controllers, its better than pretty much every consumer device available now. No Half Life Alyx or Boneworks is disappointing though.
There's some users here that would still be complaining if it launched at $300 and came bundled with Half-Life Alyx.

Half these people you can ignore since they probably weren't going to buy it no matter the cost.

There's some users here that would still be complaining if it launched at $300 and came bundled with Half-Life Alyx.

Exactly my point.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Boneworks /Bonelab would only be good if mod support was allowed.

Are you able to hook up the first or this new PSVR to a PC?

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
yall complaining about the cable and price....

meta pro gives you an hour of battery life.

the quest 2 gives you mobile games

STOP BITCHIN
Those Quest 2 “mobile games” are in the PSVR2 launch too though. Graphics don’t make VR games great. It can help though.

Day 1

But the price is high and the lineup not that great

I hope they announce future titles to get excited about soon in addition to “BC” remakes

Need Half Life Alyx as well

Starhowl

I can understand the enthusiasm about this, but it's ultimately the 3rd-party support that's gonna decide if this is gonna be a success or a very expensive paperweight aside from one, two games as it was the case with Half-Life: Alyx in combination with headsets.

If this takes off, I hope that Microsoft will provide a VR-solution for Xbox-players. Earliest point that I would get PSVR2 would be end of 2024 with the release of a Pro-version of the PlayStation 5, elsewise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What even is this shite? More ports and another fucking on the rails shooter from Supermassive? With London Studios dropping VR i've lost all confidence that they're actually committed.

What a joke.
It's not the full list, just more announced. Suspecting a showcase on this.

Odd how they did this in reverse, however.

Interesting the sales prediction thread was locked right before this news came out without reason.
Uh, what?

Last edited:
Top Bottom