• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

Puscifer

Day fucking one. Not a bad price.
Everybody acting like the HTC vive isn't the price it is makes me laugh NGL. This is a great price for what it is, I just wish VR had more than half-life alyx and bone works to interest me. If you're a PlayStation guy this is a solid offering especially with the backing from Sony and their game quality you can't go wrong.

Baki

How much is the Quest 2 now?

The standard cost for the Oculus Quest 2 sits at £399 / $399 for the 128GB model, and £499 / $499 for the 256GB version, so make sure you're not paying more than the standard price for the headset by itself

How expensive is the Quest 3?

The headset is said to cost between $300 - $500

Quest 3 incoming at $300....:messenger_grinning_smiling:
Quest selling faster than the Xbox. 15m units in 18 months. They own 80% of the market. PSVR2 with its anemic library, high price, wired, is not competition. Jim Ryan is a fool with no vision.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Quest selling faster than the Xbox. 15m units in 18 months. They own 80% of the market. PSVR2 with its anemic library, high price, wired, is not competition. Jim Ryan is a fool with no vision.
And 0% on the PlayStation market. Mind blown, I know.

Imtjnotu

Dead on arrival 💀

Sony isn’t serious about VR, that’s what this pricing tells me.
Boombox Shut Up GIF

ZoukGalaxy

600 EUROS
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN
Lol GIF
Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I will still buy it, I'm too crazy about VR, I just didn't expected this crazy price... I have a kidney to sell, anybody interested ?

Last edited:

tmlDan

For those finding it expensive. It's less than half the price of a iPhone of any quality. Or Samsung.
its true, i spent 4 grand on a PC and 4 grand on a TV and $1500 for my iphone.

Why would i complain when some* others also have these purchase habits lol

Last edited:
600€ with no backwards compatibility and very few games at launch makes this a hard choice for us Europeans.

If I could use the headset on day one in SteamVR for my PC, the pre-order would be a no-brainer to me as I could use it to play Alyx, No Man's Sky and a bunch of other cheap games right away.
But to spend 600€ on a new peripheral for which I need to start my library from scratch doesn't make much sense to me. And with Horizon Call of the Mountain going for an extra $50 we can already see how Sony isn't pulling any punches in the price they're asking for the software either.

At least the PSVR1 came with several hours worth of gameplay in a demo disc. With this they're apparently telling us to just go buy new full-priced games.

It's arguably only $460 because you indeed needed the camera but in all games you could just use the DS4. But you do get a point that this is a much more advanced and expensive headset to make, which IMO softens the blow to the $90 price difference. However for us Europeans going for 600€ makes it a harder pill to swallow.
It's beyond me how someone would spend nearly 500 euros and play with DS4 only, honestly. You can't even move your hands freely lol
PSVR1 however was clearly a entry level experience. Even with Moves we ere talking about old PS3 2008 controllers not designed for VR. The whole package was very experimental and made the most from already available peripherals.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Everybody acting like the HTC vive isn't the price it is makes me laugh NGL. This is a great price for what it is, I just wish VR had more than half-life alyx and bone works to interest me. If you're a PlayStation guy this is a solid offering especially with the backing from Sony and their game quality you can't go wrong.

People who spend big bucks on VR for PC also spend big bucks on their build. Of course it seems normal for somebody that spends 1.5k on a PC and changes GPU 5 years later…

Last edited:

YukiOnna

The price is completely reasonable. I just hope the games support can hold up or it'll truly be a waste of such industry leading hardware.

Fbh

this comparison of specialized gaming gadgets for occasional use with allrounder 24/7 everyday tools will never be not stupid.

It's only like 1,3% of a Tesla model X though!.
Sony is basically handing these out for free!!!

Good price or nah ? don't know anything about the VR World

Considering the features and price of other VR headsets it isn't a bad price.
Main problem is that with that price it's most likely going to remain a very niche product and will get the support of a niche product (not much). Sony (and other devs) aren't going to spend hundreds of millions making AAA games for a device that a small fraction of Ps5 owners have.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The price isn't the fucking problem here for the tech on offer. If you're broke mid-high end tethered VR likely isn't for you.

It's the software.
Software is a very serious issue, for all VR.

I wouldn’t expect much exclusivity or tech demanding titles. You’ll see a lot of Quest 2/3 ports, like what the PSVR2 launch appears to look like.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
it is a good price for the tech inside, which is, I think, the best seen so far in consumer VR. The problem is that you need a PS5 if you dn’t have one and the game lineup is dogshit quite frankly. It isn’t 2019 anymore, there is a robust library of VR games out there and the PSVR2 right now is locked out to pretty much all of it. It really is like the launch of a console without BC, cool hardware but wait for the games to come out. Maybe Horizon is a 10/10 but we won’t know until it comes out.

Robb

Gold Member
I wasn’t interested in this in any case, but that price is ridiculous and the software looks very poor.

Comparing this to buying a phone is also ridiculous considering the utility value of a phone is a million times higher than a VR headset.

Will wait for more games to launch but this would definitely get me to buy a PS5. I like the coop shooter and Cities in VR could be nice.

Honestly wish MS would support WMR headsets with the XSX because all my friends are over there but oh well. Not happening any time soon if ever.

Software is a very serious issue, for all VR.

I wouldn’t expect much exclusivity or tech demanding titles. You’ll see a lot of Quest 2/3 ports, like what the PSVR2 launch appears to look like.

The technology can support tier 1 games. It's fantastic hardware, let's just hope it's utilized.

I'm *very* excited for this, personally.

Last edited:

Esppiral

The fact that they are artificially capping the compatibility with psvr1 drives me crazy, I have a ton of psvr1 titles. I won't buy another headset to start my catalog from scratch and at a price point of 600€... Insanity!!!

XXL

Why do people keep talking about the software?

It's has a solid launch window lined up.

Out of the 11 they announced today, sure most of them aren't great. But people seem to be ignoring what else they have going on. Which is quite a bit.

ABnormal

Luckily among the first batch of announced games there were far better ones than these last ones.

I'm far more interested to see the hybrid games developed internally, and in general the first party titles.

Poppyseed

$950 less than th,e Meta headset. Yeah, it has its own processor and battery but it sounds like the battery life is crap.

Can’t wait for the reviews.
Meta’s Quest Pro is not designed for gamers (Quest 3 will be that) and is wireless. Sony got this one wrong. Wireless is revelatory. Being able to turn around without wrapping a cable around yourself is step one to successful VR!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Will wait for more games to launch but this would definitely get me to buy a PS5. I like the coop shooter and Cities in VR could be nice.

Honestly wish MS would support WMR headsets with the XSX because all my friends are over there but oh well. Not happening any time soon if ever.
I’m fucking stocked that Game Pass’s cloud gaming will be on the Quest 2. Hopefully Quest 3 as well.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The price isn't the fucking problem here for the tech on offer. If you're broke mid-high end tethered VR likely isn't for you.

It's the software.
Yeah those shovelware games make PSVR2 look like a Wii.

Sony needs to have better standards for VR. Who the hell is going to look at those games in the OP and pay $550 for this thing? Every game needs to be at least Horizon VR quality or better.

Reactions: GHG

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why do people keep talking about the software?

It's has a solid launch window lined up.

Out of the 11 they announced today, sure most of them aren't great. But people seem to be ignoring what else they have going on. Which is quite a bit.
A lot of those games are just Quest ports and nobody gives a crap about them now. RE4 is probably the showpiece game for it, is Sony moneyhatting exclusivity like they did for RE7? Like I said before, cool hardware but for $550 I need some amazing titles. Just as I would for an expensive vidya console.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah those shovelware games make PSVR2 look like a Wii.

Sony needs to have better standards for VR. Who the hell is going to look at those games in the OP and pay $550 for this thing? Every game needs to be at least Horizon VR quality or better.
You can’t base all vr games on visuals though. Walkabout Minigolf may look like a cartoony Xbox 360 game, but holy fuck is it a top 5 vr game of all time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
needs an expensive console to work, barely better specs than the Quest 2 which works as a standalone and a PC headset.

yes, it's not worth more than 400€
Now this is a flat out lie. Just stop. We know you crit everything Sony, but come the fuck on now.

It's got better specs than the Vive/Index and they shit all over the Quest 2 and also costs a premium of over $1K.

Last edited:

XXL

A lot of those games are just Quest ports and nobody gives a crap about them now. RE4 is probably the showpiece game for it, is Sony moneyhatting exclusivity like they did for RE7? Like I said before, cool hardware but for $550 I need some amazing titles. Just as I would for an expensive vidya console.
Having RE8 and RE4 alone in the launch window is pretty fucking good. Not all the games are great, but there is a bunch of them that are. Like those 2, Horizon and a few others.

Top Bottom