• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I bet they are taking a loss selling at $550. Not a bad price imo. I’m not buying one tho. Wire kills it for me. I’ll wait for quest 3.

I've been eyeing the Valve Index, but wondering about holding out until Index 2. Its also $1000

Valve Index specs:

Tech specs​

Displays​

Dual 1440 x 1600 LCDs, full RGB per pixel, ultra-low persistence global backlight illumination (0.330ms at 144Hz)

Framerate​

80/90/120/144Hz

Optics​

Double element, canted lens design

Field of View (FOV)​

Optimized eye relief adjustment allows a typical user experience 20º more than the HTC Vive

Inter-pupillary Distance (IPD)​

58mm - 70mm range physical adjustment

Ergonomic Adjustments​

Head size, eye relief (FOV), IPD, speaker positions. Rear cradle adapter included.

Connections​

5m tether, 1m breakaway trident connector. USB 3.0, DisplayPort 1.2, 12V power

Tracking​

SteamVR 2.0 sensors, compatible with SteamVR 1.0 and 2.0 base stations

Audio​

Built-in: 37.5mm off-ear Balanced Mode Radiators (BMR), Frequency Response: 40Hz - 24KHz, Impedance: 6 Ohm, SPL: 98.96 dBSPL at 1cm.

Aux Headphone Out 3.5mm

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've had all oculus devices. I was vr guy since 2013. I always loved vr/
But the truth is, it all comes down to games and I can no longer play arcade shite with never ending tutorial voice over. It's boring and annoying.
I want more real games. Like Alyx. But also.... it's the only good vr game really.
I always sold my vr headsets after few months because you never use this shit. It just collects dust and you end up going back to huge nice 4k tv.

that + sweating head, heat, uncomfortable and gamble of the lenses which might or might not suit your vision.
that 650 euro is really questionable to me now

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That price and not wireless? Fuck me! people will buy anything.

I don't see any reason for someone who has a decent PC and Airlink to buy this. Why go wired again, when you can have wireless fidelity at the same rate?

But if you don't use PCVR, then I guess it might be worth it, if you really, really loved PSVR1, or want to get into VR gaming.

NickFire

It looks awesome. Price isn‘t nearly as bad as some were predicting. But the way things are going with inflation makes me question how well this sells after the initial pre-order crowd gets theirs. Price is fine for the tech. But not sure the price of the tech is fine for widespread adoption anytime soon.

It's 4K.

This thing is going to be wild.

Some of the previews of RE8VR mentioned it looks as good or better than the PS5 version.
I wonder if foveated rendering reduces rendering demands so much that VR games can actually look better than non VR ones. Which then makes me wonder if they would consider VR modes for basically all games, even if they aren't really VR games. Like, Elden Ring in VR that is just the camera behind your character as usual, except the framerate is actually better because it technically has to render so much less (even though there are two eyes of rendering).

DeepSpace5D

Bit higher of a price than I was expecting tbh. I didn’t think it would go above the price of the disc version PS5, but I guess it’s not surprising after the recent console price hike.

I’m in for Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Dark Pictures: Switchback VR currently. The latter looks like a fun follow up to Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.

Resident Evil 8 will probably be nuts with this, but what I really want is a GT7 PSVR 2 announcement.

SLB1904

Banned
£529?

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Yeah, I think I'll just stick to PCVR for the time being. I've been playing Red Matter 2 at ultra high settings, and I doubt PSVR2 is going to better it - especially because it'll be wired.
What pc vr less than a 1000 better than this?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wonder if foveated rendering reduces rendering demands so much that VR games can actually look better than non VR ones. Which then makes me wonder if they would consider VR modes for basically all games, even if they aren't really VR games. Like, Elden Ring in VR that is just the camera behind your character as usual, except the framerate is actually better because it technically has to render so much less (even though there are two eyes of rendering).
The thing is, these games need to run at least 90fps. Sure they can do 60 with their doubling tech from PSVR, but most want at least 90-120Hz.

kyliethicc

Am I seeing the spec correctly that this is better resolution than Valve Index?
PSVR2 is a better higher spec VR headset than the Valve Index. No external cameras needed either.

It also has eye tracking and more features inside it that the Index lacks.

Index bundle was $1000 vs PSVR2 at $550. Pretty decent value from Sony, comparatively.

The Index Knuckle controllers might have better finger tracking than the VR2 Sense controllers tho idk.

Kilau

PSVR2 is a better higher spec VR headset than the Valve Index. No external cameras needed either.

It also has eye tracking and more features inside it that the Index lacks.

Index bundle was $1000 vs PSVR2 at $550. Pretty decent value from Sony, comparatively.

The Index Knuckle controllers might have better finger tracking than the VR2 Sense controllers tho idk.
Yeah, if it supports PC natively it will be an amazing deal.

Fbh

No thx, looks interesting but I'm not willing to pay more for it than I did for the actual console. Also none of those games in the OP look remotely interesting enough to justify the price
Might buy it in a few years if it drops in price an actually gets good support beyond the launch window (though good luck getting any sort of mainstream traction in the current economy at a minimum entry cost of $950)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They really need to cut a deal with Valve and get Alyx. Valve will most likely not do it themselves but I’m sure they could get a deal done. Sony has been furnishing Steam with their first party games, they should throw them a bone.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
@GHG I think they understand their playerbase just fine. Look at the answers in this thread and it will prove you wrong:

To be fair I got an inking of this when Sony announced the 200+ controller with a bunch of people braying "DAY ONE". I'm honestly wondering if its worth setting up a study to see how much of a connection between these people and the Destiny 2 playerbase there is.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It’s way too expensive and the library of games is just not good enough at that price. I am really surprised they aren’t porting over Astro Bot day one as that’s considered the best VR game out there alongside Alyx. I also am surprised they aren’t supporting PC VR considering they are moving everything to that platform.

I really think Jim’s lost the plot this gen.

kyliethicc

And Quest raised their price to $400 for lesser visual tech.
pay less get less

shocker

Announced games look like usual vr shite.... WOW FUN I AM SHOOTING and then you get bored.
Only horizon is interesting but there is still constant tutorial man never fucking shutting up

People say Pistol Whip is cool. Gets good reviews.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
They really need to cut a deal with Valve and get Alyx. Valve will most likely not do it themselves but I’m sure they could get a deal done. Sony has been furnishing Steam with their first party games, they should throw them a bone.
I'm just praying for 3rd party drivers. Imagine playing alyx on this thing. 😳

sncvsrtoip

That launch lineup just shows that this is basically going to be another PS VR with a bunch of shovelware and a couple of sony AAA games thrown in between.

Even Horizon doesnt look as good as HFW and its a PS5 only game. Clearly rendering the game at 120 fps is holding back its visuals.

Wake me up when PS VR6 launches in 2050 with ready player one graphics. This tech is clearly not ready for primetime.
re8 village looks very close to ps5 flat version, imo tech is there

Top Bottom