• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

No BC no buy

This right here. Sony really needs to encourage developers of PSVR1 games to get some free PSVR2 upgrades out there for the masses ASAP, if Sony really wants to make a splash with this product. You're asking people to buy a console for $500, or $550 in some countries, and then what is basically an add-on, in an industry where add-ons almost never do well, for another $550. At that price point, I want to be able to access all the old VR games in my PS+ backlog.

tmlDan

GHG GHG I think they understand their playerbase just fine. Look at the answers in this thread and it will prove you wrong:
still, without a price drop I don't see anyone but the more hardcore userbase dropping potentially $600-$650 with taxes on something like this unless they have something people NEED to play.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Of course it doesn't. I can get over 90mhz on Half Life Alyx on a Quest 2 on ultra settings. Wirelessly. How the hell is PSVR2 going to be that much better than that? Especially with the wire restricting movement?
It does. Quest 2 has the wireless, but the screens and tech pale compared to this.

SLB1904

Banned
Of course it doesn't. I can get over 90hz on Half Life Alyx on a Quest 2 on ultra settings. Wirelessly. How the hell is PSVR2 going to be that much better than that? Especially with the wire restricting movement?
Dude psvr2 is beating high end pc specs by a wide margin. From fov. Framerate. Etc. Is not even close at all

Sleepwalker

This is going to be like $800 canadian after tax isnt it? Yeah i'm not in. No alyx, wired, tons of shovelware, no bc, no pc compatibility (at least none announced)

Ill stick to my quest 2. Someone will mod re 8 if thats a money hat anyway

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GHG GHG I think they understand their playerbase just fine. Look at the answers in this thread and it will prove you wrong:
Bro, you were a PCMR until they priced you out of a graphics card market. You shouldn't throw stones at $1500-$2000 graphics cards and medium glass houses. Hell, to get a competent tech on the PC that compares visually, is still over $1000. Quest 2 is child's play with visual tech compared to this, and even they raised their price by $100.

Last edited:

Kilau

I think they may have said it won't work with PC. idk

But idk could see it happening eventually.

Safer bet is at a minimum Sony will port their VR2 games to PC.
I haven't been paying close attention but I can understand locking it down to PS5 at least at launch to keep it from being ganked by PC only buyers.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
is PSVR2 wired? I hadn't heard that

also

do you happen to have a Quest 2 btw just wondering

Yep, on both.

Quest 2 is great with PCVR. Goes up to 120hz, dependent on what rig you've got. I have a 3070 and a Ryzen 9 5900, so I go along happily at 90hz on every game, wirelessly via Airlink. It's pretty much flawless for me.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Eh. The increase in the PSVR2's screen resolution over the Quest 2 is nowhere near enough to justify getting it, when I have the set up I already do.
It's also OLED and HDR with foveated rendering and eye tracking. Resolution also makes all the difference in VR with screendoor and the like.

Kokoloko85

I'm not seeing any software here that will make people go out and get this,especially so if people's VR libraries will have to start again from scratch for the new device. Literally all that matters with VR is the software/games and all of this looks like shallow crap.

How do they not understand this?

There not gonna start from scratch. Lots of games are being updates and patched to work on the new tech, PSVR2 ( no camera, new controllers etc )

https://mixed-news.com/en/psvr-2-doesnt-support-psvr-1-games-but-theres-hope/

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's also OLED and HDR with foveated rendering and eye tracking. Resolution also makes all the difference in VR with screendoor and the like.

Well, like I say, the performance and fidelity I get from my Quest 2 with Airlink is more than enough for me. Who knows, I might change my mind if I get to use a PSVR2 to test it, but it's not going to be a launch purchase for me at that price. It just doesn't offer enough of an increase to what I've got to justify it. In fact, the fact it's wired is a really big step back for me.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Thank God I have no interest in VR because my piggy bank is in a very challenging place right now. That price would've literally killed my wallet.

Kokoloko85

This right here. Sony really needs to encourage developers of PSVR1 games to get some free PSVR2 upgrades out there for the masses ASAP, if Sony really wants to make a splash with this product. You're asking people to buy a console for $500, or $550 in some countries, and then what is basically an add-on, in an industry where add-ons almost never do well, for another $550. At that price point, I want to be able to access all the old VR games in my PS+ backlog.

They are https://twistedvoxel.com/psvr2-psvr1-games-compatibility-patches/

SCB3

Hmm, its a lot of money for something that given the track record I'm not sure on

On the other hand VR is cool, but I may go for a Steam Deck first before this, I need a bigger area first I think

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'm not seeing any software here that will make people go out and get this,especially so if people's VR libraries will have to start again from scratch for the new device. Literally all that matters with VR is the software/games
I'm with you about the issue of rebooting a library - however, most new headsets to date did this, including Quest, so it can be argued VR audiences buy into hardware as much as content.

This however
and all of this looks like shallow crap.
I'm not saying it won't be - but this assumption seems to be based more on 'it's not major IPs' than what's actually shown in the trailers.
And they've announced big-launch IPs already, this is showcasing the actual new stuff now. Not sure why people are so allergic to idea that that's not the only type of software that sells. Hell if you look at top 3 best-sellers in VR to date - it's all from (previously)no-name developers with new IPs. And none of them are what you'd call 'traditionally deep' games.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
With this (not unexpected) price I expect similar story to PSVR. Low attach rate and abandoned platform in terms of first party after 1-2 years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, like I say, the performance and fidelity I get from my Quest 2 with Airlink is more than enough for me. Who knows, I might change my mind if I get to use a PSVR2 to test it, but it's not going to be a launch purchase for me at that price. It just doesn't offer enough of an increase to what I've got to justify it. In fact, the fact it's wired is a really big step back for me.
Oh don't get it twisted, not a launch purchase for me as well unless they surprise announce bangers at the VGAs or around launch. I can wait for an 'add on novelty device.' But the tech that's in this thing, they are most definitely taking a loss, especially compared to other lesser tech devices that are priced similarly or way, way more.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
With this (not unexpected) price I expect similar story to PSVR. Low attach rate and abandoned platform in terms of first party after 1-2 years.
The problem with every VR is shitty games and comfort.
You get initial wow factor out of the way quickly. Then it's not worth putting on for some crappy phone games blown out into vr.
Alyx would sweeten the deal but I already finished it twice

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Does PlayStation even have any studios working on VR games? This shovelware lineup suddenly gave PSVR2 an awful stench.

GHG

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Oh don't get it twisted, not a launch purchase for me as well unless they surprise announce bangers at the VGAs or around launch. I can wait for an 'add on novelty device.' But the tech that's in this thing, they are most definitely taking a loss, especially compared to other lesser tech devices that are priced similarly or way, way more.

Oh yeah, they're taking a big hit on it alright. I just don't think they've made enough of a decent value proposition yet to tempt people away from current PCVR technology. Which could end up being a huge issue for them - especially as it's a bit backward on what I think is the most important thing for a properly immersive experience: it not being wireless.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh yeah, they're taking a big hit on it alright. I just don't think they've made enough of a decent value proposition yet to tempt people away from current PCVR technology. Which could end up being a huge issue for them - especially as it's a bit backward on what I think is the most important thing for a properly immersive experience: it not being wireless.
I don't think they're concerned about that at the moment. They are going after the PS5 owners who were PSVR prior, or want to jump into VR with PSVR2. If they make an official app for the PC down the road, then I can see them focusing more there.

kyliethicc

Yep, on both.

Quest 2 is great with PCVR. Goes up to 120hz, dependent on what rig you've got. I have a 3070 and a Ryzen 9 5900, so I go along happily at 90hz on every game, wirelessly via Airlink. It's pretty much flawless for me.
Can you control the game with your eyes?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't think they're concerned about that at the moment. They are going after the PS5 owners who were PSVR prior, or want to jump into VR with PSVR2. If they make an official app for the PC down the road, then I can see them focusing more there.

Fair play. Not sure that's the right strategy, but if they think they can get by on just the existing PSVR market, then that's up to them. I think I'd be trying to secure a wider market share myself, and that means cutting in to the PCVR market.

550$?! Yea imma have to pass unless they have a must play.

Edit: sheesh reading people happy about 550$ Sony should honestly have charged 700$. Their hardcore fans take anything they do as a W. Might as well charge the most you possibly can.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
For the feature set.
Its a hell of a device.

Just announce the PC SDK.
Otherwise I will wait for unofficial drivers for PC.
Then wait again for someone to buy it, hardly use it, get bored of it and sell it to me for half price.

Top Bottom