• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Minsc

Gold Member
Does the psvr2 update for TWD chapter 1 make a dramatic difference? I’ve never played it. Worth getting as well?

As I understand it would be like playing TLOU Part 2 without playing the first, or watching John Wick 2 without watching the original, or whatever example you want to use.

They're not really sequels but parts 1 and 2 of the same game. And yes, part 1 is getting the visual upgrade as well! People say it's one of the best VR games (part 1), I haven't played it either (being new to VR), and plan on getting both. And I guess the developer is making a new game that people are pretty hyped for too because these games are so good.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Does the psvr2 update for TWD chapter 1 make a dramatic difference? I’ve never played it. Worth getting as well?
We will soon find out how big the upgrade of the first title will be, I haven't read anything about it yet. But, the first title is considered one of the best VR title of all times and better then the second one. I know I will be playing the first title... first :D

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's not like the Quest 3 would be able to match the PS5/PSVR2's processing combo either, well on its own, you'd still need to be on a PC. And even on a PC, I still see reviews favoring the PSVR2 version because that headset is unrivaled (at least according to reviews) in the OLED blacks which are pretty crucial in horror games, and pseudo-horror games like Saints and Sinners where you are often fighting at night or in darkness.

I have a good enough PC, better than the PS5 as well, and I plan on picking up PCVR as well once there's a good choice for it, but I do expect the PSVR2 to get the nod often even still, and there to be more Sony exclusives, and RE4 is probably not terribly far off either, that'll be a huge game too. I don't expect Astrobot and Wipeout to make it to PCVR, and I feel like those will see support on PSVR2. Also if Sony does something really surprising and ports an Elden Ring or Demon Souls or something to PSVR2 I doubt they'd ever support PVCR, but who knows.

I don't really see the problem with owning two headsets though, I own what, 5 or 6 consoles, you can't really just own one piece of hardware and expect to have access to every game. Plus having a PC VR headset would allow for viewing regular 3D/VR media as well, and access to all the PC stuff not on PSVR2. So I kinda feel you'll need both to get to experience everything. Just be glad (or maybe be disappointed) Nintendo doesn't have their own headset for you to buy too haha.

Yeah, if the quest 3 offers twice of performance as quest 2 it might be a great option for some mobile fun and to be tethered to my pc.

I think from reports that the mura of the psvr 2 and poor sweet spot could spoil my enjoyment of it.

I really need to try it first, but if it goes cheap enough I may pick one up.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
No idea, but 2, 3, 7 and 8 are playable on PC in VR with motion controls thanks to praydog 🙏

Those and thousands of others right? The PC VR mod community is pretty big from what I gather, even FFVII Remake is in VR, but some you need to pay for (like that), and not all of them will be to the same level as what you get in the official releases. Like one video was comparing RE8 mod vs PSVR2 and definitely went with the PSVR2 experience as the winner. But still, having them is great and better than nothing, which is basically what you get without them (there's so few AAA games in VR!).

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, if the quest 3 offers twice of performance as quest 2 it might be a great option for some mobile fun and to be tethered to my pc.

I think from reports that the mura of the psvr 2 and poor sweet spot could spoil my enjoyment of it.

I really need to try it first, but if it goes cheap enough I may pick one up.

Yeah, the sweet spot is a little annoying, but not bad for me. The mura I don't mind at all, it's not noticeable unless you're in grays (not pitch black, no mura there). Really is the lens' themselves people hate and the fit just doesn't work for people. For the price the quality of the set itself is great for me. Total immersion, nothing gets through the headset, and great colors. And lately I've been reading lots of people using the headset for shmups and other older 2D games saying they work really well with them. But yeah, PC VR seems a lot more open and provides more options, but I think you get a certain "it just works" for the most part with the console VR that may be a little lacking on PC VR at times, and the exclusives, which is mostly going to come down to what Sony does in the future.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, the sweet spot is a little annoying, but not bad for me. The mura I don't mind at all, it's not noticeable unless you're in grays (not pitch black, no mura there). Really is the lens' themselves people hate and the fit just doesn't work for people. For the price the quality of the set itself is great for me. Total immersion, nothing gets through the headset, and great colors. And lately I've been reading lots of people using the headset for shmups and other older 2D games saying they work really well with them. But yeah, PC VR seems a lot more open and provides more options, but I think you get a certain "it just works" for the most part with the console VR that may be a little lacking on PC VR at times, and the exclusives, which is mostly going to come down to what Sony does in the future.

I still have the psvr 1 that they updated to hdr. I'll deffo pick up the psvr 2 at some point. Maybe they will update it in a year or two once they have enough feedback from users.

Stitch

Gold Member
Those and thousands of others right?
Yeah, there's really a lot. Alien Isolation, Doom/Doom3, Minecraft, Half-Life 2, Cyberpunk, Left 4 Dead 2, Deep Rock Galactic, pretty much every Unreal game and so much more.
If Devs/Publishers don't care about VR then PC players are basically like: Fine, I'll do it myself.

SilentUser

Any news if Hello Games will actually improve the resolution of NMS? Its such a nice game and the controls they made for VR are pretty cool, but I can't stand how blurry some objects/monster in distance are :(

Crayon

Anyone have a problem with the front band of the headset not gripping and distoring while on your head?

This might be why.
qgvwabuk6noa1.jpeg

The black foam is all you get.

9jdokifn6noa1.jpeg

Some guy on Reddit put some extra foam in his.

I have noticed the rubber at the front contorts and distorts sometimes, nothing that bothers me but this seems like an easy job and I might give it a go, if I can find some foam for a test.

This sounds fun. I might take a look in there. The one small stock piece of foam makes sense to me because that's right on the crown of your skull. The rest is that plastic webbing + the pad, which pull and wrap your forehead around the sides.

My guess would be that putting a big piece of foam in there would make it move more unless you tighten it harder. It's so hard to say anything about ergonoics without trying though. You either need to trust sony or get in there.

Anyone who thinks it could be more comfortable, I highly recommend getting in there and doing some tinkering. Creative problem solving and working with your hands is as good as a game.

I personally find it more fun the newer and more expensive the item is. I'm sure mileage would vary on that.

Killer8

It doesn't look like the PSVR1 version of The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners given away free in PS+ monthly will be eligible for the free PSVR2 upgrade. I was hoping it would, but the PSVR2 version is still showing as full price.

Minsc

Gold Member
It doesn't look like the PSVR1 version of The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners given away free in PS+ monthly will be eligible for the free PSVR2 upgrade. I was hoping it would, but the PSVR2 version is still showing as full price.

You needed to upgrade it to the version that is eligible for a few bucks. I forget what it's all called because I never got it for free in the first place, so it didn't matter much to me, but that's what I read.

consoul

Switchback VR plot synopsis:

You play as a man with poor eyesight who spills coffee on an androgynous emo during a train journey. The train derails and you enter a form of on-rails purgatory where you are inexplicably trapped having to shoot wooden boxes and assorted crockery in downgraded adaptations of Supermassive's four weakest horror games. The coffee-stained emo taunts you throughout, until you shoot her with a pink gel lobster gun. A credits sequence follows where you get to symbolically shoot the names of the people who brought you this literal train wreck.

Last edited:

Markio128

Wow, Moss is so great! I absolutely love the perspective, the world, the animation and.. Everything.

I can't believe there aren't more 3D platformers or similar games? Both Moss and Astrobot works so well in that regard, a very unique experience in VR!
Moss is one VR game that does an amazing job of making you feel part of the world. I think I’ve nearly finished the first one now and I can’t wait to play the sequel.

I too hope that more of these kind of games are made for VR. I’m sure Astrobot 2 is only a matter of time.

Markio128

Switchback VR plot synopsis:

You play as a man with poor eyesight who spills coffee on an androgynous emo during a train journey. The train derails and you enter a form of on-rails purgatory where you are inexplicably trapped having to shoot wooden boxes and assorted crockery in downgraded adaptations of Supermassive's four weakest horror games. The coffee-stained emo taunts you throughout, until you shoot her with a pink gel lobster gun. A credits sequence follows where you get to symbolically shoot the names of the people who brought you this literal train wreck.
It’s such a shame/surprise because Rush of Blood is great.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Is the payback edition worth it? Not sure $10 more for 2 weapons and i read they reskin? Demon shelf and some postcards. Idk if to get the standard for 40 instead and save those 10.
I'm going with standard. I don't care about any of the extra stuff.

Crayon

Anybody seen this post on Reddit?

I tried it and there is definitely an improvement to the contrast and the mura is somewhat less noticeable too.

It doesn't "get rid" of the mura, but it definitely did help the HMD look better.

Just tried this and I like it. I went back and forth a bunch in re8 in a darker area. It shifts the reds hard towards magenta but that would be the only downside. I have not seen anything in my test area where it sticks out. We'll see as I continue to play.

I also dicked around quite a bit on the color correction screen itself. If I misalign the headset a bit so I can see chromatic aberration on some text, flipping on the color filter sort of softens it. In game, I was getting an impression of better clarity.

Mikey Jr.

So I just bought these silicone grips.

https://ibb.co/g3XT5t6

I did it for the r1 and l1 buttons. Immediately feels way better to press.

The silicone on the side feels good too. Controller feels less slippery.

The triggers are still undecided.
I had no problems with them. And these just add more height to them which I'm not super fond of.
But they add some texture to them. So that could be good. Let's see.

Last edited:

SilentUser

I had no problems with them. And these just add more height to them which I'm not super fond of.
Oh they look nice, care to share the link to the store?

Mikey Jr.

Justin9mm

Ok, here is my casual impressions of the PSVR2..

So I've had my PSVR2 sitting in the box since launch day, I've been very busy! Yesterday I got to play for a few hours for the first time. Now, I've just come off playing a lot of Half Life Alyx through my newly built high-end PC, using Quest 2 as the VR display wirelessly. I also have an aftermarket head strap for my Quest 2 so it is very comfortable for long periods of gaming considering it also has a spare battery on it to play longer sessions.

So on to the PSVR2, setup seemed straight forward, on screen instructions very simple and clear, first issue, left controller failed to update and would not work or turn on upon initial setup, I had to charge it up for about an hour, shutdown the PS5 and start the setup again and second time round it worked. I got to adjusting the lenses in the setup, bare in mind I'm no stranger to the original PSVR, Quest and Quest 2, so I have an idea about trying to get it just right. My IPD is literally the lowest the dial can go to, I have a smaller head and my eyes are close, this was expected and is fine, sweet spot found. But my god is this thing uncomfortable, In order to see things clearly it naturally needs to sit lower and it rests on my nose and is painful, there are two ways to fix this, I adjust the goggles forward slightly and lose some FOV or I sit the headset slightly higher on my forehead and lose some of the clearness with slight blurriness. Having a smaller head, it needs to adjust tighter as to not flop around and after 30-40 minutes of gaming, my head was pounding from the pressure.

First game I played was the RE Village VR demo, before starting the game I had setup my room boundary right and checked brightness, no lights on, natural bright enough daylight, not in the dark, I understand how this works and made sure it was not picking up anything to cause issue, as soon as I started the demo, I was greeted with a whole bunch of suspend game tracking issue errors, eventually it went away after doing nothing, I think it is something with the software to be honest. My first impression of the RE demo was that the graphics compared to Alyx through my Quest 2 felt quite a bit lower in comparison, I'm hoping this is just because of the demo and hoping someone could verify, the full game is better? Anyway, the dark scenes in the start are quite dark and that's when you really notice the screen door effect. I'm used to this but it is quite jarring on black/dark scenes. The tracking compared to playing on the Quest 2 was also very inconsistent, again, could be the demo, I'm not sure. All in all, I'm on the fence whether I buy Village as I wasn't impressed very much with the demo, I already finished the game when I bought it physical and on sold it so not sure if I can be bothered to go through it again. I did like the feel of the shooting when the tracking actually worked well though.

The next game I played was GT7, yes it is very cool to play, the graphics were good but still not as impressive as PCVR if comparing to something like Alyx, played a few races and did some license tests, I'm still early in the game so as I get better cars I'm sure it will be even more enjoyable. But by the time I had played a bit of GT7, the pain from the headset was unbearable and had to finish up my session with the PSVR2.

I have mentioned Alyx a few times and this is because I used that as a personal baseline for comparison as that is the most impressive game to me as far as feel and graphics and so I expected something similar on the PSVR2 considering the display resolution is higher and better than Quest 2 and the PS5 should be powerful enough to push that type of game. Overall, I don't think the PSVR2 is worth the price it is at the moment and I'm yet to play Call of the Mountain which is meant to be impressive and some other VR games, but this headset is straight up uncomfortable to me and I'm sure I'm not the first one to feel this. I feel if you have a high-end PC, using something like a Quest 2 is a much nicer VR experience. It would probably be that I use the PSVR2 for Exclusive games and PCVR for anything else due to the more comfortable experience.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, Village looks like it looks out of VR, in all the screenshots and videos if you haven't played it before, so if you didn't think it looks as good as Alyx then VR wouldn't change that (but maybe narrow the gap with the feeling of immersion). It's certainly an equally meaty game that I'd say does some things better (body attached weapons rather than just menu selection) and some worse (it wasn't made as a VR tech demo given its flat game roots so stuff in the world aren't as, often pointlessly, interactive and what not), the core action is just as well implemented most of the time. I'd just get games I want to play, rather than only bother if said games are more impressive than the absolute top tier I've ever seen before. Is that how you choose flat games too, you only bother if they top this one element in your top game ever, then make that your new top game ever and so on? You'e missing out on any VR platform, I guess you only play some of the better Alyx mods on PC VR and nothing else? Shame, there are many great VR games out there (that aren't covered by the media sadly) even if they don't have as great visuals as Alyx or just go for a different style of visuals or play.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member

So I've had my PSVR2 sitting in the box since launch day, I've been very busy! Yesterday I got to play for a few hours for the first time. Now, I've just come off playing a lot of Half Life Alyx through my newly built high-end PC, using Quest 2 as the VR display wirelessly. I also have an aftermarket head strap for my Quest 2 so it is very comfortable for long periods of gaming considering it also has a spare battery on it to play longer sessions.

So on to the PSVR2, setup seemed straight forward, on screen instructions very simple and clear, first issue, left controller failed to update and would not work or turn on upon initial setup, I had to charge it up for about an hour, shutdown the PS5 and start the setup again and second time round it worked. I got to adjusting the lenses in the setup, bare in mind I'm no stranger to the original PSVR, Quest and Quest 2, so I have an idea about trying to get it just right. My IPD is literally the lowest the dial can go to, I have a smaller head and my eyes are close, this was expected and is fine, sweet spot found. But my god is this thing uncomfortable, In order to see things clearly it naturally needs to sit lower and it rests on my nose and is painful, there are two ways to fix this, I adjust the goggles forward slightly and lose some FOV or I sit the headset slightly higher on my forehead and lose some of the clearness with slight blurriness. Having a smaller head, it needs to adjust tighter as to not flop around and after 30-40 minutes of gaming, my head was pounding from the pressure.

First game I played was the RE Village VR demo, before starting the game I had setup my room boundary right and checked brightness, no lights on, natural bright enough daylight, not in the dark, I understand how this works and made sure it was not picking up anything to cause issue, as soon as I started the demo, I was greeted with a whole bunch of suspend game tracking issue errors, eventually it went away after doing nothing, I think it is something with the software to be honest. My first impression of the RE demo was that the graphics compared to Alyx through my Quest 2 felt quite a bit lower in comparison, I'm hoping this is just because of the demo and hoping someone could verify, the full game is better? Anyway, the dark scenes in the start are quite dark and that's when you really notice the screen door effect. I'm used to this but it is quite jarring on black/dark scenes. The tracking compared to playing on the Quest 2 was also very inconsistent, again, could be the demo, I'm not sure. All in all, I'm on the fence whether I buy Village as I wasn't impressed very much with the demo, I already finished the game when I bought it physical and on sold it so not sure if I can be bothered to go through it again. I did like the feel of the shooting when the tracking actually worked well though.

The next game I played was GT7, yes it is very cool to play, the graphics were good but still not as impressive as PCVR if comparing to something like Alyx, played a few races and did some license tests, I'm still early in the game so as I get better cars I'm sure it will be even more enjoyable. But by the time I had played a bit of GT7, the pain from the headset was unbearable and had to finish up my session with the PSVR2.

I have mentioned Alyx a few times and this is because I used that as a personal baseline for comparison as that is the most impressive game to me as far as feel and graphics and so I expected something similar on the PSVR2 considering the display resolution is higher and better than Quest 2 and the PS5 should be powerful enough to push that type of game. Overall, I don't think the PSVR2 is worth the price it is at the moment and I'm yet to play Call of the Mountain which is meant to be impressive and some other VR games, but this headset is straight up uncomfortable to me and I'm sure I'm not the first one to feel this. I feel if you have a high-end PC, using something like a Quest 2 is a much nicer VR experience. It would probably be that I use the PSVR2 for Exclusive games and PCVR for anything else due to the more comfortable experience.
I would definitely suggest giving it a few weeks to make sure things don't play differently down the road. But you're definitely not alone in saying the fit isn't doable for certain people which is unfortunate. The headset is absolutely not supposed to be sitting on your nose. Certain people just can't get it to fit right while most others can work it out.

I also have never had any tracking issues or anything like that, it's possible something is wrong with the headset if the tracking issues are constantly occurring, the standard operation is no tracking issues and no boundary issues.. You had your TV off right? If not you might need to use the alternate tracking option and set the TV in the room zone.

Dark scenes are also where the headset shines the best. Weird you find them weaker. I'm not sure you can really see the screen door effect on this headset, they've gone to extreme lengths with the diamond pixel arrangement that sort of blurs the output and gives it it's blurrier look. Mura yes, but I really don't think you should be seeing screen door effect. Again could be a defective headset. Weird you don't find GT7 impressive, did you check out the showroom? People generally are literally in disbelief seeing the cars modeled to the detail they are there. And racing people tend to find the night races and racing with rain to be more impressive, but just racing in general to be very impressive.

When I look at videos of HL Alyx - to me it looks a lot less detailed than RE8. Like when you go in the mansion there's a billion objects and everything is textured and modeled to hell and back. HL Alyx looks a lot more sterile. Less objects and more flat walls and simpler room setups. RE8 is I'm sure running in lower res than HL Alyx on the PC, and Alyx is a lot more dynamic I'm sure too. But I don't think you'll find Horizon any more impressive than RE8. It also is a little lower res so will have a blurrier look. You should try some native res games to compare sharpness with, like Puzzling Places or Demeo or Rez/Tetris, or even Kayak, but that has the pixel retention/ghosting issue, though it does look sharper besides that.

Edit: And RE8 is a dream to play and control. Shooting, drawing weapons, aiming, moving, exploring, everything runs perfectly for me.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I mean, Village looks like it looks out of VR, in all the screenshots and videos if you haven't played it before, so if you didn't think it looks as good as Alyx then VR wouldn't change that (but maybe narrow the gap with the feeling of immersion). I'd say it does some things better and some worse, it's certainly an equally meaty game even if it wasn't made as a VR tech demo given its flat game roots so stuff in the world aren't as (often pointlessly) interactive and what not, the core action is still just as well implemented most of the time. I'd just get games I want to play, rather than only bother if said games are more impressive than the absolute top tier I've ever seen before. Is that how you choose flat games too, just by only bothering if they top this one element you saw in your top game ever, then make that your new top game ever and so on and so forth? Whatever works for you.
I assume you are replying to me, I probably didn't come across the way I wanted to, my impression is nothing to do with graphics alone, controls felt clunky, tracking inconsistent, the screen door effect in this particular game was jarring, something I didn't see in GT7. And like I said, was it just the demo? considering the full game has probably had VR patch updates to fix things, the demo may have issues. My biggest gripe is the headset is so uncomfortable, not the way games look. This is what sways me towards PCVR through my Quest 2. $879 for this build quality is not acceptable imo. It's all good to have great tech but not if you can't put the thing on your head for more than 30 minutes.

Justin9mm

I would definitely suggest giving it a few weeks to make sure things don't play differently down the road. But you're definitely not alone in saying the fit isn't doable for certain people which is unfortunate. The headset is absolutely not supposed to be sitting on your nose. Certain people just can't get it to fit right while most others can work it out.

I also have never had any tracking issues or anything like that, it's possible something is wrong with the headset if the tracking issues are constantly occurring, the standard operation is no tracking issues and no boundary issues.. You had your TV off right? If not you might need to use the alternate tracking option and set the TV in the room zone.

Dark scenes are also where the headset shines the best. Weird you find them weaker. I'm not sure you can really see the screen door effect on this headset, they've gone to extreme lengths with the diamond pixel arrangement that sort of blurs the output and gives it it's blurrier look. Mura yes, but I really don't think you should be seeing screen door effect. Again could be a defective headset. Weird you don't find GT7 impressive, did you check out the showroom? People generally are literally in disbelief seeing the cars modeled to the detail they are there. And racing people tend to find the night races and racing with rain to be more impressive, but just racing in general to be very impressive.

When I look at videos of HL Alyx - to me it looks a lot less detailed than RE8. Like when you go in the mansion there's a billion objects and everything is textured and modeled to hell and back. HL Alyx looks a lot more sterile. Less objects and more flat walls and simpler room setups. RE8 is I'm sure running in lower res than HL Alyx on the PC, and Alyx is a lot more dynamic I'm sure too. But I don't think you'll find Horizon any more impressive than RE8. It also is a little lower res so will have a blurrier look. You should try some native res games to compare sharpness with, like Puzzling Places or Demeo or Rez/Tetris, or even Kayak, but that has the pixel retention/ghosting issue, though it does look sharper besides that.

Edit: And RE8 is a dream to play and control. Shooting, drawing weapons, aiming, moving, exploring, everything runs perfectly for me.
As far as Village, could be the vr demo is not quite the same as the full game.
As far as tracking I will have to have more of a play around, yes I was facing away from the TV with TV behind me but not off.
I did find GT7 somewhat impressive as far as being in the driver's seat but I've only done couple slow car races and some license tests, have not checked out the showroom so need to do that. As I said these were just my impressions so far. I definitely have not had enough time with it. I'm just really shocked about the comfortability of it, I don't even have a big nose, but it could be the shape of my head that causes it to not fit right, who knows. I haven't really had this issue before. I'm not saying the headset is bad, maybe I just expected a bit more for the price. I certainly haven't played enough games on it either.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

Just an update.

I played 2 hours of moss with these.

I HIGHLY recommend these or something like them. The l1 and r1 feel substantially better to press. Like actual buttons now, not flush to the controller.
The side grip feels good. Gives you extra grip. It's not a negative at least.

The triggers didn't bother me. I'm not gonna say they are better, but they are also not worse. I'm leaving them on.

Crayon

Just an update.

I played 2 hours of moss with these.

I HIGHLY recommend these or something like them. The l1 and r1 feel substantially better to press. Like actual buttons now, not flush to the controller.
The side grip feels good. Gives you extra grip. It's not a negative at least.

The triggers didn't bother me. I'm not gonna say they are better, but they are also not worse. I'm leaving them on.

Does the silicon on the l1/r1 inhibit the touch sensitivity?

EekTheKat

Bought some cheap lens adapter for glasses and they work to some degree. My prescription is somewhat intense with insane levels of astigmatism so the lenses were a bit thicker than expected, and I can see a bit of chromatic aberration on the edge of the lenses if I look for it.

The kit I got was 4 pieces - 2 base frame adapters with small magnets that squeeze onto the PSVR2, and 2 lenses pre mounted onto a frame with metal pieces that pairs with the other set.

It took a fair amount of pressure to secure the magnetic frame mount into the PSVR2, but once they're in the lenses are fairly easily removed. It sort of allows for east cleaning as well as the lenses can just pop right off.

They work roughly the same as the ones available for the Quest or Quest 2. Not 100% sure I'd recommend as PSVR2 is oddly comfortable to wear even with glasses on. But they do work pretty much as advertised.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Uh Huh Sure GIF

Crayon

Okay I have some impressions of this hori neck speaker thing.

3max.jpg

These seem to go up to $99.99, but I got mine for $60 new from ebay.

I bought these because I wanted some kind of off-ear arrangement for when I am playing a vr game with my wife. I had in mind something that clipped onto the headset but then I saw this and decided to give it a shot.

Sound quality: not good. It has two sound modes and a button to switch between them. Neither sound great. Things are clear and loud enough, just not very ... good. idk. I'm no audiophile I don't know how to describe that stuff.

3d sound effect: Wow! It actually works!

Connectivity: There are other neckband things like this and they all have bluetooth, but no 3.5 port. This one has a 3.5 port, but no bluetooth. You need the jack to work with the vr2 but bluetooth would make this useful for other stuff.

Comfort: Can't even tell it's there.

Idiosyncrasies: When you turn your head, the 3d soundtage turns with you, but your ears do clock away from the speakers, which are highly directional. No big so far given my intended use. I was going to wrap up the ~2.5' aux line with a twist tie but I don't even notice it's there when left hanging so why bother. With the extra slack, it's enough to take the headset off and handle it without pulling this thing off your neck which is handy.

Directionalilty: This is a surprise. Not that the volume goes up all that high, but I had it sounding pretty loud to me, yet when I took it off I could only hear the sound slightly coming out of it.

Overall - For my intended use of being able to play a game with my wife and communicate like we would do playing a regular game, this is doing what I wanted it to do and I will keep using it. The way it's very directional with the sound has also made it useful for having some personal sound without bothering her when she's watching something else. Even $60 seems a little high so far, but if I continue to get a lot of use out of it then it will be worth it.

Minsc

Gold Member
After more RE8, I picked up Synth Riders, did the tutorial quick and the Lindsey Sterling Experience level, just to see what all the fuss was about - my impressions are the game does look quite fun, even if you're not as young as perhaps the target audience might be - the colors on the PSVR2 are really vibrant. I'm constantly surround by black with florescent pinks and blues and the HDR definitely is putting in a little work and there no time to notice any flaws if there are even any to be seen during the stage. The experience level flies you through a much more active stage, it was pretty cool and the song was fun too. I still like RE8 more, but this definitely was worth the $20, I only played the beginner difficulty and it comes with a decent number of levels/songs.

I do think next time I play it, I'll probably not use headphones and just run the sound through my home theater setup. It's not really directional at all, and I think the music probably would pack much more punch with the sub and speakers rather than headphones. I imagine the higher difficulty levels provide quite a workout, I played it standing and didn't need to step around much, mostly just having nothing in the way of your fully extended arms. It's definitely quite different from the normal Theatrhythm Final Fantasy game I'm used to haha.

Tygeezy

Anyone have a problem with the front band of the headset not gripping and distoring while on your head?

This might be why.
qgvwabuk6noa1.jpeg

The black foam is all you get.

9jdokifn6noa1.jpeg

Some guy on Reddit put some extra foam in his.

I have noticed the rubber at the front contorts and distorts sometimes, nothing that bothers me but this seems like an easy job and I might give it a go, if I can find some foam for a test.

I told my wife I need to get a headband since people seem to be having luck with that. My wife got me tgis girly spa band and says they’re way more comfortable than the athletic one. I’ll be damned but she is right; I still need to try it with the psvr 2.

Fredrik

Thanks for the long writeup. The comfort talk is brutal but it’s good to get the other side of the spectrum and not just the everything is awesome impressions from the diehard fans. I’m already having issues with Quest 2, using after market strap, battery life has never been an issue because my face is aching before the battery runs out. Sounds like PSVR2 is even worse. Hoping for big improvements on this in the upcoming headsets this year. Comfort, weight, size are key areas that needs to be adressed imo.

Romulus

Thanks for the long writeup. The comfort talk is brutal but it’s good to get the other side of the spectrum and not just the everything is awesome impressions from the diehard fans. I’m already having issues with Quest 2, using after market strap, battery life has never been an issue because my face is aching before the battery runs out. Sounds like PSVR2 is even worse. Hoping for big improvements on this in the upcoming headsets this year. Comfort, weight, size are key areas that needs to be adressed imo.

I disagree with him that Quest 2 is worse comfort than psvr2. Even with my aftermarket strap, psvr2 still has an edge on my quest 2.

Crayon

imo It's quite comfortable. Less so that the first one but I think that's because it seems to need to be tighter. I just took it off after two hours with like 3 brief breaks and it was on tight. My head feels exactly like something was on too tight. Like a bandanna you over-zealously stretch as you tie it tight. Otherwise... it only touches you in in the front or that back of your head. Any bottom line my face feels nothing as long as I wipe the edge of the face shroud when I'm done. It sweeps up skin oils and it's irritating feeling it it gets gross. I do it with a lens wipe when I get done cleaning the lenses.

He mentioned the lens units resting on his nose, which is downright painful. That's because you aren't supposed to pull it onto your nose, though. The accordion shroud has very little structure and will crunch down with almost no resistance. There is no face-stopper for sliding the scope in so you can touch it right into your nose or your brow.

It's not made to strap to your face. It's supposed to be held suspended away from your face. Now, the closer you get it, the wider the fov is. But you have to stop before it's rubbing your face. You get this wide fov (perhaps the full advertised 110!?!) when you slam it in, and the nose flaps of the shroud give the false impression that the lens units can sit on the bridge of your nose but that is going to feel awful as soon as you move. It's too close if it's touching.

I supposed it's like you were describing before with wearing glasses. The lenses just have to be farther away, the fov is a little smaller but that's how it is and you just get used to it.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Beat Horizon today. Once I figured out how to adjust controller settings to stick movement, I ended up having a great time. The second to last area was incredible. The final fight was cool too. But after the previous stuff it felt small scale.

The very ending could have been better.

My only complaint was the dialogue. Plus, the developer must really think low of their player, because the directional dialogue is straight up condescending

Resenge

I assume you are replying to me, I probably didn't come across the way I wanted to, my impression is nothing to do with graphics alone, controls felt clunky, tracking inconsistent, the screen door effect in this particular game was jarring, something I didn't see in GT7. And like I said, was it just the demo? considering the full game has probably had VR patch updates to fix things, the demo may have issues. My biggest gripe is the headset is so uncomfortable, not the way games look. This is what sways me towards PCVR through my Quest 2. $879 for this build quality is not acceptable imo. It's all good to have great tech but not if you can't put the thing on your head for more than 30 minutes.
Compared to the Quest 2 base headset, the PSVR2 a huge step up in comfort. It does take some time getting used to the headset and find the optimal placement though.

For example, the back of the headset needs to be placed lower at the back of your head compared to other headsets.

Another tip is if the headset is on your nose, press the release button on the top right of the headset to move forward it a click or two, that moves the headset off your nose. You might have to raise the forhead part a touch and tighten the back a little more after that, I seem to have to tweak it a little after moving the headset forward at least.

Last edited:

Fredrik

imo It's quite comfortable. Less so that the first one but I think that's because it seems to need to be tighter. I just took it off after two hours with like 3 brief breaks and it was on tight. My head feels exactly like something was on too tight. Like a bandanna you over-zealously stretch as you tie it tight. Otherwise... it only touches you in in the front or that back of your head. Any bottom line my face feels nothing as long as I wipe the edge of the face shroud when I'm done. It sweeps up skin oils and it's irritating feeling it it gets gross. I do it with a lens wipe when I get done cleaning the lenses.

He mentioned the lens units resting on his nose, which is downright painful. That's because you aren't supposed to pull it onto your nose, though. The accordion shroud has very little structure and will crunch down with almost no resistance. There is no face-stopper for sliding the scope in so you can touch it right into your nose or your brow.

It's not made to strap to your face. It's supposed to be held suspended away from your face. Now, the closer you get it, the wider the fov is. But you have to stop before it's rubbing your face. You get this wide fov (perhaps the full advertised 110!?!) when you slam it in, and the nose flaps of the shroud give the false impression that the lens units can sit on the bridge of your nose but that is going to feel awful as soon as you move. It's too close if it's touching.

I supposed it's like you were describing before with wearing glasses. The lenses just have to be farther away, the fov is a little smaller but that's how it is and you just get used to it.
Yeah no matter the headset it’s important to get it right. I’ve stopped the blood flow on my forehead before I got a better headstrap for Quest 2, overtightening it to compensate for a bad fit. The current one is alright but I can’t play for more than maybe an hour until I have to take a break. VR completely replacing flat screen gaming is far off for me without big improvements on the headsets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom