• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

SilentUser

Thanks for the long writeup. The comfort talk is brutal but it’s good to get the other side of the spectrum and not just the everything is awesome impressions from the diehard fans. I’m already having issues with Quest 2, using after market strap, battery life has never been an issue because my face is aching before the battery runs out. Sounds like PSVR2 is even worse. Hoping for big improvements on this in the upcoming headsets this year. Comfort, weight, size are key areas that needs to be adressed imo.
In my opinion, PSVR2 is far, far more comfortable than Quest 2 stock strap, it is day and night difference. I actually dislike wearing the Quest 2 and PSVR2 is not supposed to put any weight over the nose, but perhaps different shapes and sizes of the head will make impossible to wear the PSVR2 as intended, like it happened with Justin9mm, which is a shame. Also, if possible, it is always nice to try any headset before buying to see how well it suits you. Like I said before, I find it comfortable since day one and it is one of the many qualities of the headset :) even played for more than 3h straight quite a few times (I blame Demeo with friends on this one lol) and everything was great.

phaedrus

My wife got me tgis girly spa band and says they’re way more comfortable than the athletic one.

no man GIF

Just do it Prison Mike style, works great for me:

d5sUxJi.png

PanzerCute

I finally finished Horizon this weekend and I have to say that I quite enjoyed it! With all the people talking about it being a tech demo more than a game, I was expecting it to be very short, very limited and with no sense of progression. But in the end I got a 10 hour game that pushes every new feature of the headset, some extremely impressive set pieces, top notch immersion, stellar production values for a VR game, and a gameplay that consistently evolves while perfectly respecting the IP. Oh and the musics are absolutely fantastic!

I agree that the price is too high if you don't purchase the bundle (70 euros here), but really it's a great game if you have the headset!

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah a few reviews I've seen put the Quest 2 in garbage-tier comfort, like a few said they haven't touched it for over a year for that reason.

But hey, everyone's head is different so different people are going to say one headset sucks ass and another is perfect, while other people will find the perfect headset sucks ass and the sucky one is way better.

Surfheart

Yup. Same here. Am in the UK and there is no option. A few people on a gaming forum I post on bought the stand alone version of part 2 and it downloaded yesterday. ( 32 gig )

Thanks for the reply, bummer, guess I won't be playing it tonight then

Edit: Well timer is up but I cant download the game, it appears under "new games" in the store, no longer in pre-orders but if I select it I only have the option to Wishlist it.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Thanks for the long writeup. The comfort talk is brutal but it’s good to get the other side of the spectrum and not just the everything is awesome impressions from the diehard fans. I’m already having issues with Quest 2, using after market strap, battery life has never been an issue because my face is aching before the battery runs out. Sounds like PSVR2 is even worse. Hoping for big improvements on this in the upcoming headsets this year. Comfort, weight, size are key areas that needs to be adressed imo.
What aftermarket strap are you using? I have the bobomvr2 or whatever it's called. It's not like I can't feel the headset at all after longer sessions but it is worlds above the comfort of PSVR2 headset and i dont get headache pain. Except I will say the ventilation on the PSVR2 is the real deal. I didn't sweat like the Quest 2 but that's the only positive from the comfort side.

Justin9mm

Yeah a few reviews I've seen put the Quest 2 in garbage-tier comfort, like a few said they haven't touched it for over a year for that reason.

But hey, everyone's head is different so different people are going to say one headset sucks ass and another is perfect, while other people will find the perfect headset sucks ass and the sucky one is way better.
Yes, Quest 2 is garbage tier comfort with stock strap but my aftermarket strap for Quest 2 is one of the best you can get on the market and it is worlds above the comfort of the PSVR2 because I paid good money to get something high quality. I can tell the build quality is much higher than the PSVR2 strap system. Sony have cheaped out here and expected more for the price. At least on the Quest 2 you can change the strap system but with PSVR2, you are stuck with it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My family came over and I showed them VR for the first time.

Their minds were so blown, especially my parents who hadn't ever seen anything like this. My dad was a pro on kayak while my mum didn't even understand how oars worked 😂

They wanted to get PSVR now lol 👀
This is the core problem with VR, and selling it. Until you actually use it, it's impossible to understand it or see why it is appealing.

Last edited:

Fredrik

What aftermarket strap are you using? I have the bobomvr2 or whatever it's called. It's not like I can't feel the headset at all after longer sessions but it is worlds above the comfort of PSVR2 headset and i dont get headache pain. Except I will say the ventilation on the PSVR2 is the real deal. I didn't sweat like the Quest 2 but that's the only positive from the comfort side.
I have the official Elite Strap.
The silicone face covers they sent out because some was allergic or whatever is absolute shit when it comes to sweat. Can’t use them. I use the standard textile cover, no sweat and luckily no skin issues either. But after an hour or so I need to take a break. It’s not a big deal but I just feel like it’s not nearly as comfortable as it needs to be for me to mainly play VR. It really is a niche, for multiple reasons.

Romulus

The aftermarket straps make a world of a difference. I went from being able to wear it 1-2 hours to 5+ hours straight.

scydrex

I'm going with standard. I don't care about any of the extra stuff.
I decided to go with the standard. I was only interested in the weapons and someone in reddit said they are reskins of the weapons we get in the game.
The local shop in my country were i ordered the pvsr2 will have it this week plus local warranty.
My list so far is Kayak. Light brigade. Pistol whip. Rez infinite. Walking dead ch1 and 2. Pavlov. Thumper. Gt7. Re8. So I'm ready for this. Probably will play saints and sinner first back 2 back. Later will buy nms. Also took 5 days off next week. 😁

Mikey Jr.

Why is it that everytime I start my psvr2, it tells me to take my helmet off and follow instructions on the TV. Then I turn the TV on and then the psvr2 starts.

Shit is annoying.

Rudius

Why is it that everytime I start my psvr2, it tells me to take my helmet off and follow instructions on the TV. Then I turn the TV on and then the psvr2 starts.

Shit is annoying.
Use the remote play app to turn on the PS5 once. After that it should no longer ask for the TV every time.

Shit is annoying.
Maybe a stupid question, but do you plug your headset into the PS5 before turning it on, and turn it on with the sense controller, without the TV being on?

Minsc

Gold Member
Do we think Saints and Sinners 1&2 will receive any more PSVR2 reviews prior to release?
Quite a number of people will be buying it so there'll be no shortage of impressions, and technically the game is said to be top-tier, and better than on a well-equipped PC (subjectively I guess, depending on if the headset fits properly etc).

Tygeezy

For me the quest 2 with the elite strap is something I can wear for two or more hours just fine. The psvr 2 I have to make it so tight to keep the front from slipping out of the sweet spot but I get a headache within minutes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes, Quest 2 is garbage tier comfort with stock strap but my aftermarket strap for Quest 2 is one of the best you can get on the market and it is worlds above the comfort of the PSVR2 because I paid good money to get something high quality. I can tell the build quality is much higher than the PSVR2 strap system. Sony have cheaped out here and expected more for the price. At least on the Quest 2 you can change the strap system but with PSVR2, you are stuck with it.
Yeah the stock Quest 2 strap is a piece of shit and a big mistake in my opinion. A stable and relatively comfortable fit are kinda essential for the VR experience and the stock strap offers neither.

mxbison

Wow, Moss is so great! I absolutely love the perspective, the world, the animation and.. Everything.

I can't believe there aren't more 3D platformers or similar games? Both Moss and Astrobot works so well in that regard, a very unique experience in VR!

Totally agree. Astro Bot is still my favorite VR game.

As impressive as HL:Alyx is, it can also be quite demanding with all the movement, weapon reloading, grabbing stuff, etc.

With Astro Bot you just lean back and enjoy the game while being immersed in the world.

Markio128

Of course. Some people brought it here (including myself). Every review i have seen in Youtube is talking good about chapter 2. Chapter 1 is one of the best VR games released. That's the general opinion in the web.
I’ll be picking up S&S 1+2 tomorrow, but wanted to see impressions of the first game on PSVR2 as I haven’t played it. Pretty hyped all the same.

Mikey Jr.

Maybe a stupid question, but do you plug your headset into the PS5 before turning it on, and turn it on with the sense controller, without the TV being on?
Yeah.

I plug it into the PS5. And then turn the PS5 with the sense controllers and then turn the headset on.

Is that the incorrect way to do it?

Minsc

Gold Member
For me the quest 2 with the elite strap is something I can wear for two or more hours just fine. The psvr 2 I have to make it so tight to keep the front from slipping out of the sweet spot but I get a headache within minutes.

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that headset fit varies quite wildly from person to person, given all the day/night and night/day impressions of different sets. I guess at least the Quest 2 is easier to replace/mod. But I've seen people saying even just running a velcro strap across the headset to sit on top of your help can really help take pressure off by not needing to tighten it so much to stay in place. I expect down the road there'll be a few ready to order options that look a little more professional than a piece of velcro, but the moral of the story with headset fit seems to be very much ymmv.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ohhh.... I don't know anything about that... Lol.

I thought r1 was just a button. What do you mean touch sensitivity?
All the buttons on Sense controllers have capacitive touch (basically touch detection) that most devs utilize in various ways. Generally its utilization is not especially essential, just making your fingers move in game, but sometimes it's helpful to have your index finger to press buttons and stuff in the game world. So trigger is probably the most "important" of them all. That said, who knows how devs might use it. Could be an issue down the road, possibly. Or not.

Yeah.

I plug it into the PS5. And then turn the PS5 with the sense controllers and then turn the headset on.

Nope, that's how I do it too anyway.. Weird, I've never had that screen pop up again after the initialization. Sorry, just wanted to check if you did anything different 🤔

SilentUser

Yeah.

That's the way I do, too. Never got that message again, don't know what's wrong in your case :( Silly question, but do you have the headset and the PS5 updated?

Sleepwalker

Want the disc version of saints and sinners but can only find the retribution edition and no bundled version... I haven't played the first one yet, is it ok to skip it?

Mikey Jr.

All the buttons on Sense controllers have capacitive touch (basically touch detection) that most devs utilize in various ways. Generally its utilization is not especially essential, just making your fingers move in game, but sometimes it's helpful to have your index finger to press buttons and stuff in the game world. So trigger is probably the most "important" of them all. That said, who knows how devs might use it. Could be an issue down the road, possibly. Or not.

Well for me, it's made moss a much better experience. Especially when I have to hold the button in.
Nope, that's how I do it too anyway.. Weird, I've never had that screen pop up again after the initialization. Sorry, just wanted to check if you did anything different 🤔

That's the way I do, too. Never got that message again, don't know what's wrong in your case :( Silly question, but do you have the headset and the PS5 updated?
It's updated. I think? Is there a separate update option for the headset?

Anyways, as soon as I turn the power on the TV, it's ok.

Not sure what's happening.

SilentUser

Well for me, it's made moss a much better experience. Especially when I have to hold the button in.

It's updated. I think? Is there a separate update option for the headset?

Anyways, as soon as I turn the power on the TV, it's ok.

Not sure what's happening.
Yeah, the headset itself also updates. It pops up when available, I had one update two weeks ago, I think, when Sony released PS5 7.0 update. So we had at the same day the PS5 OS to 7.0 + Sense controllers + PSVR2 headset, all separated. Dunno if it is possible to actually skip the update for a long period of time, though.

scydrex

I’ll be picking up S&S 1+2 tomorrow, but wanted to see impressions of the first game on PSVR2 as I haven’t played it. Pretty hyped all the same.
These are awesome games from what i read and heard in Youtube. Chapter 2 have excellent graphics, very well optimized, 90fps native, some says looks and feels awesome. Shadow, clarity and performance is top notch and equals a higher end pc in that game. Chapter 1 like i said.

Want the disc version of saints and sinners but can only find the retribution edition and no bundled version... I haven't played the first one yet, is it ok to skip it?
There is a complete edition of chapter 1 on Amazon it suppose to be the same as the tourist edition for the free upgrade for psvr2. Chapter 2 is going to be released physical too.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

There are awesome games from what i read and heard in Youtube. Chapter 2 have excellent graphics, very well optimized, 90fps native, some says looks and feels awesome. Shadow, clarity and performance is top notch and equals a higher end pc in that game. Chapter 1 like i said.

There is a complete edition of chapter 1 on Amazon it suppose to be the same as the tourist edition for the free upgrade for psvr2. Chapter 2 is going to be released physical too.
Oh, the update is free then I will get the PS4 disc for chapter 1, and the ps5 one for chapter 2 I guess, thanks!

R6Rider

Gold Member
I decided to go with the standard. I was only interested in the weapons and someone in reddit said they are reskins of the weapons we get in the game.
The local shop in my country were i ordered the pvsr2 will have it this week plus local warranty.
My list so far is Kayak. Light brigade. Pistol whip. Rez infinite. Walking dead ch1 and 2. Pavlov. Thumper. Gt7. Re8. So I'm ready for this. Probably will play saints and sinner first back 2 back. Later will buy nms. Also took 5 days off next week. 😁
That's a great set of games!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, I'm glad I skipped it on Quest.

This makes it all the weirder when people make it out to be a bad thing that Quest 2 games are also on PSVR2. Does it matter if the same games feel like Remastered versions? Odd that many people are ripping a system that's able to produce better versions of the same game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This makes it all the weirder when people make it out to be a bad thing that Quest 2 games are also on PSVR2. Does it matter if the same games feel like Remastered versions? Odd that many people are ripping a system that's able to produce better versions of the same game.
Haters.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying but this game is basically described as unplayable (for VR standards) on Quest 2. So it might as well not exist.

Last edited:

scydrex

Oh, the update is free then I will get the PS4 disc for chapter 1, and the ps5 one for chapter 2 I guess, thanks!
Yeah. The devs said the chapter 1 complete edition is the tourist edition but in physical and will get the free update. So you can buy the ps4 chapter 1 complete edition and the ps5 chapter 2. That way you will have both in physical.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm so happy with my purchase!

Yesterday I played short sessions of GT7, Horizon & RE8.
That's the best advice you gave me Minsc and James, I play 30-45 minutes then break for a bit.

Zero dizziness in GT7 but then I'm driving slow cars for now.
Horizon I'm taking my time and soaking in that gorgeous environment like a curious child.
But what knocked me on my ass was RE8. I have to redo the tutorial because I'm a clumsy fool when handling and reloading. I can't believe how my brain and body are literally being tricked that I'm in real actual danger. Wow.

No problem at all wearing glasses with the headset, it's quite comfortable.
I also almost never feel the cable, it's like it's not even there.

Will try out Moss tonight sitting on my couch, have a great weekend everyone!

While I don't have glasses, it's nice to see many people having the same experience in VR. Any VR headset that can't fully support people that need glasses is an automatic failure in my book.

Played more re8. Here's the situation with the hybrid vr adaptation: They done a great job with vr gameplay and physicality. That is as good as many vraf games. On the downside, you don't get that environmental interaction because the game is just not built to be grabbing random things and throwing them around. And most flat games are not built like that. Bethesda games are but few others have loose clutter like that.

So the environment feels a little static and fake when you stop to smell the roses. That is obviously less important during active progress playing. So it's not horrible or anything, but you do miss it if you are used to vraf games with lots of physical interaction. On the other hand, you get a full-effort aaa game instead of nothing at all.

RE in fact exceeds my expectations for a hybrid game. I imagined simple lakitu/camera inhabiting adaptations with just a little tweak to dislocate your aim from the camera. This actually feels halfway to a real vr game.

And maybe the most important perk of the hybrid vr game: You are playing a game that was designed to meet the standards of mainstream flat panel-games. So you are just using vr to enhance a presumably great game. Not using the full potential of vr, but still giving the game a huge boost of fun and immersion.

For those reasons, I want hybrid games even more than dedicated games.
And I really want to see how sony handles a 3rd person hybrid game. I would much rather play horizon hybrid with its limitations than vraf call of the mountain. It's just a better game. The hybrid route is the way to a more consistent flow of top tier games.

BOOM! Games made for VR only are soooo over-rated. While great, it's not mandatory in order to have a great time. The more hybrid games we get in VR the better.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying but this game is basically described as unplayable (for VR standards) on Quest 2. So it might as well not exist.

Usually if someone mentions a game on PSVR2, those "others" love to remind you that it was on Quest 2 first so why bother with the PSVR2 version. And this game and some others are showing why it matters.

Top Bottom