• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayTracker estimates Starfield has surpassed the 2 million player milestone on both Steam (1M+) and Xbox (1M+) with just the Premium Edition

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think everyone expected this so no surprise. It will have huge up front numbers. In my opinion, the only interesting discussion regarding Starfields "performance" is going to revolve around if it has the same legs as Bethesda's previous tentpole games.
It won’t be the same as Skyrim. . I think those that try and compare them is unfair. Skyrim was a phenomenon (whether it’s your cup of tea or not).

Fallout 4 is a better comparison. It might have those legs though for sure.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Willing to bet 1.5 have stopped playing after 4-5 hours as it’s dog shit slow and like reading a book. You have to push on a few more hours for the story to actually start unfolding and getting good!

MarkMe2525

It won’t. I think it’s an unfair comparison. Skyrim was a phenomenon (whether it’s your cup of tea or not).
Exactly my point. It's obvious that Starfield is going to achieve great up front engagement. The unknown is if their next big bet can achieve the long term success as their past titles.

I wouldn't call the comparison unfair, as whether or not Starfield sells as many copies as Skyrim is irrelevant to whether Starfield is a success or not. The metric I'm suggesting has more to do with the ability of Starfield to stay relevant as long as their past hits have. Do we think we will be playing Starfield on our Xbox 5's? Will it still have a thriving pc audience due to hobby devs building content for the game?

Topher

Gold Member
Do we have any other game for reference?

I don't think so. First party early access hasn't done this before to my knowledge. Seems like a really good number, to me, for a $100 game that gives you five days early access and some DLC at a later date.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Exactly my point. It's obvious that Starfield is going to achieve great up front engagement. The unknown is if their next big bet can achieve the long term success as their past titles.

I wouldn't call the comparison unfair, as whether or not Starfield sells as many copies as Skyrim is irrelevant to whether Starfield is a success or not. The metric I'm suggesting has more to do with the ability of Starfield to stay relevant as long as their past hits have. Do we think we will be playing Starfield on our Xbox 5's? Will it still have a thriving pc audience due to hobby devs building content for the game?
I think it has a chance by those metrics yes however I also think it would have to be on PlayStation as well to become that relevant. Entirely possible after say a year or so.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I don't think so. First party early access hasn't done this before to my knowledge. Seems like a really good number, to me, for a $100 game that gives you five days early access and some DLC at a later date.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Didn't Forza Horizon have the same deal though.

Edit: I think it was more expensive right?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Didn't Forza Horizon have the same deal though.

Did it? Ok.....I'm out of the loop on this then.

See Ya Reaction GIF by Travis

But I thought Starfailed was confirmed to be flop? Hmmm.

You’d think so, from some of the talk here.
Certain folks (and suspect review sites) are being hyperbolic about the very mild (and in some cases, unwarranted) criticisms about the game.

It’s a great game, and it’s awesome to see Bethesda try something new (instead of make a numbered sequel to an existing franchise) for the first time in a long while.

I just don’t get all of the hate and vitriol certain folks are exhibiting about this title. It’s handily GOTY so far.

MrA

bbbbbbbb uuuuttttt it has an 86 on metacritic!!!!!!!112121ph8oyeasrfwr3q;iu2dhio;sare;uibvgfrbou;
the only thing that's going to cut into starfields sales is game pass
anyway I can wait until tomorrow, gonna be great

clarky

Gold Member
Willing to bet 1.5 have stopped playing after 4-5 hours as it’s dog shit slow and like reading a book. You have to push on a few more hours for the story to actually start unfolding and getting good!
Steam CCU has been holding steady at around 200k (actually rising a bit) for the last 5 days so................................................

Batiman

Banned
Although they're not the first to do it, this is a rather smart play by MS

Meh. I don’t care. I’m not 16 anymore where I can’t wait a couple days for my games. If that’s the cost to keep day ones on gamepass I can give 2 shits if people want to pay to play it a couple days early.

That’s just me though. I can understand if others don’t like it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Meh. I don’t care. I’m not 16 anymore where I can’t wait a couple days for my games. If that’s the cost to keep day ones on gamepass I can give 2 shits if people want to pay to play it a couple days early.

That’s just me though. I can understand if others don’t like it.
To be fair, it is technically not Day 1 on GamePass ;)… but sure it is only a week, for now…

Mercador

Currently only 38.7% of people who have played the Xbox version have unlocked the first achievement 🤔
That would mean that almost 40% of Xbox owners (including Gamepass?) went for the premium? If that is the case, Xbox found a way to make Gamepass more profitable, that's for sure.

I played around 20 hours over the 4-day weekend, so around 2$CAD an hour, it was well invested, the game was average at the beginning but it become really great after a few hours.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
"Battle pass premium edition for early days" brought you by MS.
Starfield launched at the perfect time for me to purchase the early release premium edition. I had a 4 day weekend and my family was out of town. I doubt I have that perfect storm to buy others.

feynoob

Currently only 38.7% of people who have played the Xbox version have unlocked the first achievement 🤔
Acheivement dont you the amount of sales. It only says those who downloaded the game.
Its essentially a useless tool. I bought couple of games, which I have yet to finish act 1, play more than 5m or never turn it on.

Mercador

Yeah, that's why I wonder on which number these metrics come from, because I'm sure a lot of people have preload the game, even those without the "premium" early access.

Elysium44

Banned
I think you have to launch game for it to count. I

Yes this is true. So we can't infer ownership from the achievement stats, it could be a lot higher. I thought it was noteworthy that nearly 4 in 10 people apparently cared enough about the game to buy the premium DLC (at least, if not the base also) but only played it for a short time. Of course, far from everyone who bought the premium will have done so in order to play early. I mean hopefully nobody bought it JUST to play early as that would be a bit silly, unless they have money to burn.

feynoob

That is a bad bet.
If they can last 4-5 hour, then they can tolerate the game.

Elysium44

Banned
Yeah, that's why I wonder on which number these metrics come from, because I'm sure a lot of people have preload the game, even those without the "premium" early access.

The achievement percentage only counts those who have got at least one achievement, otherwise it doesn't know you've got, or started the game. (I believe this is how it works.)

Actually does that make sense? Not sure 🤔 I guess not, otherwise 100% of people would have the first achievement.

Last edited:

feynoob

Yes this is true. So we can't infer ownership from the achievement stats, it could be a lot higher. I thought it was noteworthy that nearly 4 in 10 people apparently cared enough about the game to buy the premium DLC (at least, if not the base also) but only played it for a short time. Of course, far from everyone who bought the premium will have done so in order to play early. I mean hopefully nobody bought it JUST to play early as that would be a bit silly, unless they have money to burn.
The actual game launches in 6 hours from now.
You can see a useful data after 1 week from that launch.

ReBurn

Gold Member
In 4-5 hours I'd completed several missions with a decent backlog waiting for me, and that's without even moving the story forward. What are people doing that makes it feel slow to them?

MarkMe2525

Its not. Its a content that was cut from the game and sold as seperate.
That how these companies make more money.
Sadly, most of the time this is true. In saying that, there is no game created without a large pile of “cut content” lying on the floor (metaphorically speaking). It seems sensible that many of times this ends up in DLC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Early access comes with an expansion? I had no idea. How can they expand on this already massive game?!

Yes.

I'm gonna guess it'll be like the Broken Steel pack from Fallout 3. Something that adds content after the story ending.

TrueGrime

People really stop playing a Bethesda game after 4 hours? After I made it to the main city within the first hour, I just went off and did my own thing. Since when in Bethesda game do you have to start getting into the main quest right away?

Top Bottom