• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has exceeded 1 million concurrent players across all platforms (Xbox, Windows, Steam)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Go Ahead Yes GIF

fallingdove

That’s one million gamers playing across Xbox and pc at the same time. And the game just launched to the masses today (although early edition gamers are already playing it and it actually was playable yesterday on gamepass after dinner).
Is that good though? I would expect it to be much higher than a million given that it’s free to GamePass users. Hell - Cyberpunk sold 13 million on day one and had a much much higher concurrent player amount.

What happened to the 10-20 million copies sold on day one that everyone was predicting? “That confidence”, “Starfield is going to be huge” to 1 million concurrent players at peak, maybe 2-3 million copies sold (though I doubt it — GamePass effect is at max for this title)

MarkMe2525

I just went to earth for the first time to survey it. I was surprised to find out that "space" isn't just a billboard of a planet. It's a dynamic sky box, it is just really empty and things are apart (like real space).

I originally went to the moon (Luna), and while I was in orbit (i know not technically in orbit) I saw that the Earth was behind the horizon. I got the idea to fly perpendicular to the planet and low and behold, slowly but surely the earth came from behind the horizon. It sure took a long time though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is that good though? I would expect it to be much higher than a million given that it’s free to GamePass users. Hell - Cyberpunk sold 13 million on day one and had a much much higher concurrent player amount.

What happened to the 10-20 million copies sold on day one that everyone was predicting? “That confidence”, “Starfield is going to be huge” to 1 million concurrent players at peak, maybe 2-3 million copies sold (though I doubt it — GamePass effect is at max for this title)
Who predicted Starfield would sell 10-20 million copies on day one? Even a Call of Duty sells 20 million but in an entire year.

geary

Cybepunk didnt have 1 week of EA so people can shit on it. Those 13 millions would be half if people would have known the state of the game one week prior to release.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Check out his post history. He’s been dumping on starfield even before the game was being played early access. Lol

You ain't kidding.

Ha. People don’t care about this stuff as much as you think they do. Fringe idiots, sure, but my happiness isn’t tied to the commercial success of a video game.

We went from "my happiness isn't tied to commercial success" to "what happened to 20 million copies prediction? A figure I most assuredly pulled out of my keester".

Doesn't sound bad, but could be better.
I guess it'll be interesting to measure everything about this game. Total amount of concurrent players, number of all time players, all time sales, Gamepass subscriptions growth and Xbox Series X/S sales growth during this entire month.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Expected more tbh. BG3 was just over 800k on Steam alone.

You gotta wait for the weekends. It took bg3 a while to hit it's highest and it was a weekend.

But yeah gamepass will affect this. If it hits 400k on steam that's insane and probably means around 2 to 2.5 million steam sales alone in the first week.

VitoNotVito

Concurrent players.
"A broken mess" Cyberpunk had over million concurrent on Steam alone. BG3 had 850k concurrent on Steam alone. This game has a base of 30 million crowd who already pay every month for their Netflix.
2 million ain't failure but nothing to shout about if you use "the game of the generation"

Gudji

Doesn't sound that impressive considering it's on gamepass and just came out. Still a lot of players tho which was expected.

MrTired

A decent number, however for context Halo 3 achieved 1+ million concurrent players on the 360 alone.
And to access the game you had to buy it (obviously you could rent it from places but they had to purchase a copy), there wasn't cheap access option like gamepass back then. Really goes to show how big Halo was at its peak.

Thyuda

Honestly, considering the game is on Game Pass and the immense hype behind it, one million concurrent doesn't sound that high. Curious for the weekend, but I doubt it will be anything but 20-30% more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom