• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please help? Weird screen issue on new LG OLED only w/ certain games

Alpha Male

Please help me - I'm frustrated and confused on what to do about this.

I have a new LG OLED C2 from Best Buy (that is still within the return window) and it has some white cloudy spots and small streaks that are only visible in some games on both Series X and PS5. It's not visible at all in most games but it is VERY noticeable on others which is weird. It's not visible at all with streaming apps or regular cable TV.

Here's the deal, I already returned it and swapped it out at Best Buy for another and the second TV has the exact same issue.

Also, I don't want a different TV. I want THIS TV and the only other option is the Samsung S95B which I don't think I really want.

Steep and Battlefield 2042 are the worst offenders so far. I also noticed it in Witcher 3 and it's slightly noticeable in Riders Republic. However, it's not noticeable at all in most games. I tried Battlefield V, Halo Infinite, Elden Ring, Modern Warfare 2, Midnight Suns, Ratchet and Clank, Death Stranding, Sonic Frontiers, GT7, Forza Horizon 5, Red Dead 2 and you can't see the issue at all in any of these.

Steep is the most egregious...look at the orange circle and see the balloon shape along with all the other spots around the sun. The pink is the normal glare from the sun on the HUD. These spots are all over the whole screen.
2CScr8i.jpg

:
Then Battlefield 2042..Notice all the circle/round spots and streaks along with the smaller spots if you zoom in on the pic
58WUasc.jpg

Notice the 2 spots in purple...these persist on the screen at all times but only in Battlefield 2042
S16zwqj.jpg
7V5vVJf.jpg

Here's Witcher 3 showing the issue:
YHk032Y.jpg

Here's a shot with Riders Republic:
Zn0gICW.jpg

I assumed that since I already exchanged it for another and still have the same issue that it's either a bad batch from the factory or some kind of manufacturer defect. So I decided to call LG and see about getting just the screen replaced to fix the problem instead of trying to swap it out at Best Buy again. They get me in touch with my local repair center and both their office manager and a tech tell me that even if they replace the screen it's still going to have the same problems because this issue is inherent with these screens - and that the replacement screens are from the same facility - thus will have the same problem. I refuse to accept this and I would really like to at least try replacing the screen to see if it makes a difference.

I absolutely DO NOT BELIEVE that this is an inherent design flaw that all the OLEDs have. I can't find any discussion or postings online anywhere about this issue. I also believe that this is more widespread than realized because if you don't play certain games you will never notice it.

What should I do?

Last edited:

skneogaf

Of course. It's the first thing I did.

I actually wish I kept mine on both my 83" C1 and my smaller A1.

I've never seen the issue you're describing before, can you go to support, oled care, device self care, screen self-diagnosis in the settings and go through each of the on screen prompts?

Last edited:

Mistake

First, take it apart and look for a serial number on the screen assembly. Cross reference it with the serial on the box, as this should help you figure out the date and time of when it was put together. Next, find someone who speaks Korean. Place a long distance call to the LG manufacturing plant, and ask them why bibimbap keeps cumming in your TVs

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
First, take it apart and look for a serial number on the screen assembly. Cross reference it with the serial on the box, as this should help you figure out the date and time of when it was put together. Next, find someone who speaks Korean. Place a long distance call to the LG manufacturing plant, and ask them why bibimbap keeps cumming in your TVs
Just about to say this verbatim, so +1

Alebrije

Agree is a bad batch, that is te reason the new tv has te same problem...honestly those spots looks rare and could increase over time...

Try to get a new tv from a different batch

Banned
can you use the edge browser on your Xbox to display a completely 50% grey or 40% grey image in full acreen and see if it happens there too?

tbh, the images you posted look like a dirty lens and lens flair effect many games use...

Last edited:
Have you run any of those oled screen test pattern videos for grayscale, screen burn and screen uniformity on YouTube, to see if those marks really stand out?

I'd personally send it back with those marks as it's clearly not functioning as it should be! Ridiculous that we as a consumer still have to play the panel lottery.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Man the quality of TVs are shit nowadays. No matter what you spend. Issues will always rise with most of them. Meanwhile the old CTVs lasted forever.
Seems to be common with almost anything nowadays.

Don’t try and fix the screen though. Return it until you get a proper one. Also never go with Samsung. Quality is trash. I’m on my third one over the last ten years and everyone has giving me a headache. From broken hdmis to faded pixels to backlight bleed. I’m an idiot for continuing to buy them. Never again. Plan on going LG soon as well but now you got me stressing

Banned
Man the quality of TVs are shit nowadays. No matter what you spend. Issues will always rise with most of them. Meanwhile the old CTVs lasted forever.
Seems to be common with almost anything nowadays.

many CRT screens had geometry issues and colour bleed issues.

this is nothing new.

I have been pretty lucky with my last 3 Samsung TVs. the only issue I had was that one of them had a CPU that died on me... but a mechanic came in the next day and fixed it within 20min by replacing the motherboard...
and I kinda think it was my fault it died, I had the TV connected to a sketchy power strip and ever since then I only connect my TVs directly to the wall outlet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom