• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus-size makeover for celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence becomes huge hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

You know, NeoGAF is unusually anti-fat considering the demographic of people that come here. :/

image.php

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
W-What should be my issue with this?

Is it offensive to draw or depict people as being more plus-size?

There is something disconcerting with trying to glorify morbid obesity, yes.

You know, NeoGAF is unusually anti-fat considering the demographic of people that come here. :/
What demographic would that be? Young adults who post on the internet? I'm fit as shit.

I think that fat shaming is disconcerting. There's too much pressure for women to be skinny. Fat women are beautiful, too.

Even though I'm skinny and I weigh less than 140 lbs, I believe in fat acceptance. And I think that fat shaming is mean and awful.

jwk94

This isn't showing that plus size women can be beautiful. Do that with a real plus sized woman, not one that's creepily photoshop from someone skinnier.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I think that fat shaming is disconcerting. There's too much pressure for women to be skinny. Fat women are beautiful, too.

Even though I'm skinny and I weigh less than 140, I believe in fat acceptance. And I think that fat shaming is mean and awful.

Beauty is entirely subjective. The health concerns of morbid obesity are not. That's the issue.

terrisus

This isn't showing that plus size women can be beautiful. Do that with a real plus sized woman, not one that's creepily photoshop from someone skinnier.

We've had threads like that too.

They've gotten locked, or outright deleted.

Tagyhag

I have no idea how someone can be pro-fat.

Shaming someone for their bodies is horrible and shouldn't be done.

But why actively encourage being massively unhealthy as a counter to that?

Just as we shouldn't have extremely skinny and/or shopped role models being used, we shouldn't have obese ones as well.

If these pictures are now considered plus-size, we're going to get a point in the future where overweight today is considered average tomorrow.

Alchemy

I have no idea how someone can be pro-fat.

Shaming someone for their bodies is horrible and shouldn't be done.

But why actively encourage being massively unhealthy as a counter to that?

Just as we shouldn't have extremely skinny and/or shopped role models being used, we shouldn't have obese ones as well.

If these pictures are now considered plus-size, we're going to get a point in the future where overweight today is considered average tomorrow.

Yeah, there is a difference between plus sized and what we're seeing here. Extremes in both high or low weight isn't healthy.

Captcha

If one were to make a thread about fat, non-tipping, smoking, racist, feminists who are pro-circumcision would this forum approach singularity?

Zomba13

Even though I'm skinny and I weigh less than 140, I believe in fat acceptance. And I think that fat shaming is mean and awful.

I dunno. I mean, I get different stroke for different folks and all that. It's why I'm fine with dudes being gay even though I don't ever want someone else's penis to touch me. If you are attracted to bigger people that is fine but not for me. I do however think there is a point where "fat acceptance" can be harmful. Now, obviously you can be a bit "overweight" or whatever and still be healthy but there is a point where it is unhealthy and should be something we try and stop.

And yeah, there is pressure for women to be skinny and while that doesn't always apply to men in the media (it seems fat men are more acceptable because you can be a funny fat man or whatever) I think it should apply. Now, the way being slim is advertised to women can be harmful, rather than it being a case of "being fat is unhealthy. You want to be healthy right?" it's more often a case of "being fat is unattractive and you want a hot stud of a man right? be skinny and sexy!".

I'm not talking about physical attraction, beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.

I'm talking about completely ignoring the fact that being obese has health ramifications.

I think it's the same as with smoking. We know smoking is bad for you, we have science that shows that it's very unhealthy yet people still do it.

GamerJM

Banned
There is nothing healthy about promoting this body size, just as with stick thin supermodels.

Body acceptance shouldn't be about feeling ok with being dangerously overweight or skinny, but about understanding how your body specifically reacts to dietary changes and physical exertion.

I think I disagree. If you're dangerously overweight or skinny but happy with yourself and understand the consequences then that's your decision. Either way it should be a personal decision and I don't think we should look down on others for it, but I also don't think we should promote one specific lifestyle as being superior to another. Though I also think understanding how your body reacts to dietary changes and physical exertion should be important as well, but I think that falls more under "health awareness," than "body acceptance".

Also, personally I find weights like that attractive, but I also find skinny and "average sized," women attractive. To me weight is basically a non-factor.

Merc_

It's strange how the whole Body Positivity movement seems to be more about trying to normalize obesity than anything else.

Kurdel

Banned
It's strange how the whole Body Positivity movement seems to be more about trying to normalize obesity than anything else.

That is also my feeling.

The only surprising thing is how long it took before this kind of movement popped up.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I find this creepy.

I've actually made a thread before when I admit "weight gain" and such is an embarrassing fetish of mine, but when it's done to real people like this via pictures, it's just really creepy to me. Like the whole feeder culture is something I don't want any part of, weight gain as a fetish is one I think needs to be pretty much kept to fantasy, because it's arguably a dangerous fetish to have when applied to real-life.

fhqwhgads

Hey, I know this guy's stuff on Deviantart.
No idea why it's news worthy, must've been a slow day and they needed a quick filler article.

Brakke

Banned
I mean, it's obviously fake, and taking the "Photoshop women to look like how we want them, not how they actually look" issue to the extreme.

Still though, I think they look much better this way, and still would even if it were real.

Yeah I agree there's a weird politics here. Sort of dehumanizing thing to do. People already practice a weird kind of ownership over images of celebrity ladies' bodies (especially several of these ladies in the OP). This sort of thing dissociating Jennifer Lawrence (tm) even farther than Jennifer Lawrence (human).

I'm sympathetic to "big girls are glamorous / beautiful / hot / whatever too", this is kind of a gross way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom