• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus-size makeover for celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence becomes huge hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have been better if they just curved them up. Why did they have to make them obese.
still hot though.

NOECI0s.gif

Oh god I actually laughed uncontrollably in real life. Perfect.

Hey you left out fat Mila Kunis

imageprocessor

HAHAHAHA this is the funniest one.

I've seen these before.

Oh god, I went to his deviantart, and there are some odd photoshops. Like he turned them into blueberries.

And by that I mean like the girl from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Just why...?

And no, plus-sized does not equal obese or heavily overweight, like the women are portrayed in this photoshop.

fhqwhgads

I've seen these before.

Oh god, I went to his deviantart, and there are some odd photoshops. Like he turned them into blueberries.

And by that I mean like the girl from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Just why...?
That's just scratching the surface of the fetishes you see on Deviantart. They start getting very oddly specific.

What do you mean exactly?
You mean gamers = fat?

Gaming is primarily a sedentary hobby. It is partially because of this that so many gamers are overweight or obese.

Skinny or fat though, fat-shaming is shameful.

I'm talking about completely ignoring the fact that being obese has health ramifications.

It's ignorance like this that really sets a bad name. Not every obese person suffers from health risks, or will suffer from health risks.

People think obesity automatically = diabetes, just to name one example. reality of it is, some obese people never develop the disease. But if you believe every little thing doctors and the internet tell you, I guess I could understand the misconception.

I fucking hate this shit because it trivializes how dangerous it can be to be obese. When the fuck are people going to learn that there's a difference between accepting someone no matter what they look like and glorifying unhealthy behavior?

I think a big issue is how women have to be beautiful while men can get away with not being handsome

A woman can be smart, witty, funny, savvy, caring, graceful, thoughtful, responsible, but if she doesn't meet the standard of beauty it affects her a lot more than a man with the same attributes who isn't handsome. Therein lies the real problem, that women have to feel that they are 'beautiful too' , disregarding all other attributes while 'ugly' guys can make up for it in other ways in society.

A well known example is the 'Fat Guy, Hot Wife' trope in sitcoms, and the amount of completely average looking men in hollywood

That tumblr links out to like a dozen articles. One from the National Institutes of Health.

So. Ok.

One NIH article is from 1979, the others conclusion is:

"Individuals with obesity receive numerous instructions about what to do to address their weight, but very few are given appropriate long term guidance or support with which to follow through those instructions. Understanding the positive role of social networks may be particularly important in engaging individuals in physical activity. Public health approaches to obesity must engage and consult with those currently living with obesity, if patterns of social change are to occur."

Not sure what that has to do with this topic though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Wow now I know that I had the health concerns of morbid obesity all wrong thanks to random links on the totally reputable and agenda-free website thinprivilege.com, thanks.

The fake health concerns of fake-fat J Lawrence is the fake issue?
Are you her fit-as-shit fake doctor?

What do you really care? Go beat off to the swimsuit issue.
What does this even mean? What this 'artist' is doing is promoting morbid obesity by depicting famous celebrities as morbidly obese. Morbid obesity and the lifestyles that tend to lead to it is unhealthy and dangerous. That's the issue. Fetishism for morbid obesity aside, the health concerns are as real as the health concerns of smoking. If you want to be in denial of the science behind it you can go sit over there with the climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers. Obesity is a serious health concern which is affecting more and more people and we're not going to successfully address it with fat-acceptance movements and labeling 270lb women as "plus-size".

Obesity is a serious health concern which is affecting more and more people and we're not going to successfully address it with fat-acceptance movements and labeling 270lb women as "plus-size".

If it's really so bad, it will eventually be resolved via natural evolution. If it is our destiny to all be obese, then we will adjust. It's how it's always been.

Raonak

Banned
They don't look bad imo, would a few of em.
That said, I'd rather go for chubby shops rather than the BBW shops that most of these seem to be :/

EDIT: people are actually getting upset by these photoshops. wow.

Maximo

]I think a big issue is how women have to be beautiful while men can get away with not being handsome[/B]

A woman can be smart, witty, funny, savvy, caring, graceful, thoughtful, responsible, but if she doesn't meet the standard of beauty it affects her a lot more than a man with the same attributes who isn't handsome. Therein lies the real problem, that women have to feel that they are 'beautiful too' , disregarding all other attributes while 'ugly' guys can make up for it in other ways in society.

A well known example is the 'Fat Guy, Hot Wife' trope in sitcoms, and the amount of completely average looking men in hollywood

I can make generalising sweeps about a Genders as well ! Im not saying it isn't necessarily easier for men and harder for women but come on I really dislike people making sweeping blanket responses like that.

Promoting obesity is kinda stupid.

Yes, obese people should not be looked down upon, and they should have self-esteem in order to improve, but this is painting obesity as a good thing.

Ugh

This has the signs of deviantArt all over it

I'm so tired of searching for fanart of my favourite characters then getting pages and pages of furry colossi in varying states of undress and spread

They don't look bad imo, would a few of em.
That said, I'd rather go for chubby shops rather than the BBW shops that most of these seem to be :/

EDIT: people are actually getting upset by these photoshops. wow.

Not upset, it's more of a malaise/ennui hybrid

I can make generalising sweeps about a Genders as well ! Im not saying it isn't necessarily easier for men and harder for women but come on I really dislike people making sweeping blanket responses like that.

Are you saying that overall, women aren't held to a higher visual standard than men?
I didn't say anything negative about men did I?

Would you disagree if I said that men are pressured to be strong and emotionless more than woman are?

G.ZZZ

There is nothing healthy about promoting this body size, just as with stick thin supermodels.

Body acceptance shouldn't be about feeling ok with being dangerously overweight or skinny, but about understanding how your body specifically reacts to dietary changes and physical exertion.

Amen

There is nothing healthy about promoting this body size, just as with stick thin supermodels.

Body acceptance shouldn't be about feeling ok with being dangerously overweight or skinny, but about understanding how your body specifically reacts to dietary changes and physical exertion.

Bingo.

Tagyhag

People think obesity automatically = diabetes, just to name one example. reality of it is, some obese people never develop the disease. But if you believe every little thing doctors and the internet tell you, I guess I could understand the misconception.

You are completely right, just like how not every smoker will develop lung cancer and die at an early age.

But just because there are outliers, doesn't mean it's healthy to be obese.

Kainazzo

I find this creepy.

I've actually made a thread before when I admit "weight gain" and such is an embarrassing fetish of mine, but when it's done to real people like this via pictures, it's just really creepy to me. Like the whole feeder culture is something I don't want any part of, weight gain as a fetish is one I think needs to be pretty much kept to fantasy, because it's arguably a dangerous fetish to have when applied to real-life.

I agree, feeder culture is dangerous. Unlike most fetishes, you can't simply pack it under the bed when you're done. It's something you have to take into the real world, where there are plenty of real problems. I've been turned on by weight gain my entire life, it's literally my only fetish, and as I've gotten older I've swiftly come to realize it's not sustainable.

I've been around the feederism scene since ~1998, and I've noticed several strong trends. The people actively championing not just body acceptance, but obesity acceptance, have always been under 30, long before any major health concerns are realized. The ones over ~35 have always mentioned health problems, whether needing to take medication, using powder for fold chafing, or being able to afford to eat everything they do. As I've grown up I've seen plenty of models/users get older and leave the scene, usually getting the oh-so-blasphemous "WLS" soon afterwards. The smart users know that their fetish is unhealthy and wish them the best, the crazies turn their backs as if betrayed. Tumblr seems to have turned up the crazy dial lately.

Every once in a while a member will die (and it's usually from a heart attack, if they say the cause), and among the responses is always "Oh no, she seemed so lively and happy! How could this happen?" I once had an argument several years ago with a user who insisted that extreme obesity was safe so long as that person was happy. I'm only 25 (I started visiting those sites way too early), and have already outlived him. I've outlived a lot of people from the early days.

The fantasy was (and unfortunately, still is) incredibly alluring. People like Vavoom, who gained ~130 lbs in a year with detailed documentation, represent the absolute zenith of my fetish. But the more I come to realize how many models retire and lose weight, have health issues, and die, the more I've distanced myself from the scene. I know that the wave of young Tumblr models haven't thought out the long-term ramifications of promoting such a culture, and once reality hits them they'll disappear, only to be replaced. Everybody's excited about who's going to be the next Brooke.

Probably could've said this better, but I'm incredibly sleep deprived at the moment and had to say something after seeing your comment. Truth be told, studying the feederism scene for so long has been fascinating; I could probably write a book about it were I more cognizant. But yeah, I'm glad I'm fit and healthy, and that my loved ones are too. I want to be around them for years to come, and feederism is such short gratification.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Plus sizes? More like factorial sizes. Put me in the camp who thought this was going to be about natural sizes vs the skeletal xylophone ribbed size zero models that plague our media.

Griss

why does no one ever read the academic articles I link?

Because what you posted is so stupid that it reads like a parody. Most people are probably politely ignoring it like I did until that second comment asked why.

The idea that honestly confronting people you love in order to change their habits to improve their lives and their health is some kind of discrimination along the lines of sexism or racism is fucking offensive to me. I've been fat my entire life, and was relentlessly bullied as a teen, but 'healthism'? 'The modern conception of health is bullshit?' Give me a fucking break.

EDIT: Jesus Christ I just read more of this insane site. It tries to pass off a 16 pound increase in average weight since 1990 as 'no big deal'. Holy shit...

injurai

Banned
disgusting aesthetically

would not lull a child into thinking this is okay

would not patronize an adult who already thought this is okay

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a health problem for everyone. I'm telling you this from experience and first-hand knowledge.

No, it is a health problem for all human beings. Maybe you are just in denial, since various links from reputable sources were posted above.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Plus size? Nah maan this shit is fucking overweight and unhealthy.

Obese, not merely overweight. As someone who was obese it's unhealthy and gross and shouldn't be praised or encouraged. Plus size in my eyes is a little bigger than average, these shops are a tier or two above that. It's like when obese people claim they're "curvy".

Consider this then.

Some people are happier at certain sizes compared to others. It is also proven that depression can play a role in one's health as well, and not in a positive manner.

Now then, and hear me out on this. Maybe, just maybe, an obese person who is *happy* at their size is probaly better off than them trying to lose the weight and be at a size that doesn't make them *happy* anymore. Depression sinks, possibly other mental conditions like anxiety and such develop as well. Now you ponder... is the individual suddenly healthier just because they lost weight? Doesn't seem so.

People need to understand that human beings are complicated creatures, and science can only go so far.

Ferrio

Banned
Consider this then.

Some people are happier at certain sizes compared to others. It is also proven that depression can play a role in one's health as well, and not in a positive manner.

Now then, and hear me out on this. Maybe, just maybe, an obese person who is *happy* at their size is probaly better off than them trying to lose the weight and be at a size that doesn't make them *happy* anymore. Depression sinks, possibly other mental conditions like anxiety and such develop as well. Now you ponder... is the individual suddenly healthier just because they lost weight? Doesn't seem so.

People need to understand that human beings are complicated creatures, and science can only go so far.

Well okay if you throw mental health into the mix, then maybe that's arguable. But as far as physical goes it's unhealthy and should never be considered otherwise.

studyguy

Seems sorta shitty if you're just going to use existing thin actresses and singers and just fatten with photoshop to look like some ideal you have in mind. Why not use actual people of the size? I don't quite get what this is supposed to do for women of larger sizes if they might not actually look like this in the first place.

esms

You know, NeoGAF is unusually anti-fat considering the demographic of people that come here. :/

Gaming is primarily a sedentary hobby. It is partially because of this that so many gamers are overweight or obese.

Skinny or fat though, fat-shaming is shameful.

It's ignorance like this that really sets a bad name. Not every obese person suffers from health risks, or will suffer from health risks.

If it's really so bad, it will eventually be resolved via natural evolution. If it is our destiny to all be obese, then we will adjust. It's how it's always been.

It's not a health problem for everyone. I'm telling you this from experience and first-hand knowledge.

lol_idi_amin.gif

terrisus

Seems sorta shitty if you're just going to use existing thin actresses and singers and just fatten with photoshop to look like some ideal you have in mind. Why not use actual people of the size?

Again - this has been done plenty.
Threads on it get locked/deleted.

Zomba13

Consider this then.

If you use that logic then you could argue that smoking is healthy because the person gets their nicotine fix and it relaxes them and puts them in a better mental state even though it is damaging to their lungs. Fat people can be happy with their size and not want to change because they are comfortable with how they are and that is great and all, but it doesn't stop obesity from being something unhealthy just like getting a better mental state from smoking doesn't make that healthy.

injurai

Banned
Consider this then.

Obesity is biologically unhealthy, it's a result of our species feeding our serotonin levels through biological triggers which are their to drive us from meal to meal. There is no reason to just placate people into thinking that there's only one route to happiness. In general obese people feel happier when they achieve weight loss. I doubt you could find many people that say it's all for naught.

Never mind the whole issue of the examples in the OP of hijacking individual's likeness to promote unhealthy body types. It's really not fair to them. How often do you see obese people promoting their own bodies. How often do you see out of shape people creating promoting their lifestyles. They don't because their bodies aren't sex symbols. There is no biological indicators of health associated with it. It's not something to be promoted. While people do garner legitimate happiness by working out, and honing themselves.

But sure placate people instead, telling them to stay how they are. If they could wish it away I'm sure they would. I'd wish a better shaped body for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom