• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus-size makeover for celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence becomes huge hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Think about it. Look at what we were during the prehistoric era and how we are now. It's almost like two different animals (literally).

If the trend continues, this time millions of years from now we will all be walking spheres, and somehow our bodies will have adjusted.

Unless people are seriously suggesting the alternative: That obesity will cause the human race to go extinct. :/

Ferrio

Banned
Think about it. Look at what we were during the prehistoric era and how we are now. It's almost like two different animals (literally).

If the trend continues, this time millions of years from now we will all be walking spheres, and somehow our bodies will have adjusted.

Unless people are seriously suggesting the alternative: That obesity will cause the human race to go extinct. :/

Except you know we have tons of medical technology and lifestyles that keep people that would normally die from being overweight alive.

To me it looks like you're reaching for excuses.

Brakke

Banned

This is not even almost how evolution works.

Althane

That only works when natural selection is in play. That's not nearly as play as it was in the prehistoric era.

Kainazzo

Consider this then.

Some people are happier at certain sizes compared to others. It is also proven that depression can play a role in one's health as well, and not in a positive manner.

Now then, and hear me out on this. Depression sinks, possibly other mental conditions like anxiety and such develop as well. Now you ponder... is the individual suddenly healthier just because they lost weight? Doesn't seem so.

People need to understand that human beings are complicated creatures, and science can only go so far.

I'll agree that mental health is incredibly important, and no doubt there are plenty of feedees out there who are happier at larger sizes. But I can tell you from everything I've seen and read that it never lasts. It may for several years, but the end result is always worse than if they'd never gained any weight at all.

I'll give an example, give a shout out if you know her. GG (Nikki) came onto the scene at ~270, after gaining from 150 over the last two years. She was impetuous and had a goal of reaching 600 one day; there were at least two news stories about her in the beginning. Had waves of supporters and indeed made it up to 465 eventually. She then plateaued for a few years and promptly left the scene shortly thereafter. Many years pass and she emerges at ~300, now heavily self-medicating with weed. She does the whole "feederism is life" routine, but in reality she's suffering from joint and back pain from being so heavy. After slowly losing more weight, she leaves again.

The point of this is that I've seen people like her, who are the most hardline supporters of what you're saying, who wanted to be big and happy, who surrounded themselves with enough fans to believe that it might just happen, and then inevitably have to face reality. I've known people, both online and in real life, who were quite happy with their size, but once health issues (no matter how minor, even just getting up stairs or playing with their kids) popped up, they never stayed that way.

Maybe, just maybe, an obese person who is *happy* at their size is probaly better off than them trying to lose the weight and be at a size that doesn't make them *happy* anymore.

Holy moly, I've heard this before.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
This is just a pretty regular fetish that's getting out to average people recently.

You'll see pictures like this in many searches on tumblr. It was also the core of that peculiar webcomic with the dragon and kangaroo.

GamerJM

Banned
I agree, feeder culture is dangerous. Unlike most fetishes, you can't simply pack it under the bed when you're done. It's something you have to take into the real world, where there are plenty of real problems. I've been turned on by weight gain my entire life, it's literally my only fetish, and as I've gotten older I've swiftly come to realize it's not sustainable.

I've been around the feederism scene since ~1998, and I've noticed several strong trends. The people actively championing not just body acceptance, but obesity acceptance, have always been under 30, long before any major health concerns are realized. The ones over ~35 have always mentioned health problems, whether needing to take medication, using powder for fold chafing, or being able to afford to eat everything they do. As I've grown up I've seen plenty of models/users get older and leave the scene, usually getting the oh-so-blasphemous "WLS" soon afterwards. The smart users know that their fetish is unhealthy and wish them the best, the crazies turn their backs as if betrayed. Tumblr seems to have turned up the crazy dial lately.

Every once in a while a member will die (and it's usually from a heart attack, if they say the cause), and among the responses is always "Oh no, she seemed so lively and happy! How could this happen?" I once had an argument several years ago with a user who insisted that extreme obesity was safe so long as that person was happy. I'm only 25 (I started visiting those sites way too early), and have already outlived him. I've outlived a lot of people from the early days.

The fantasy was (and unfortunately, still is) incredibly alluring. People like Vavoom, who gained ~130 lbs in a year with detailed documentation, represent the absolute zenith of my fetish. But the more I come to realize how many models retire and lose weight, have health issues, and die, the more I've distanced myself from the scene. I know that the wave of young Tumblr models haven't thought out the long-term ramifications of promoting such a culture, and once reality hits them they'll disappear, only to be replaced. Everybody's excited about who's going to be the next Brooke.

Probably could've said this better, but I'm incredibly sleep deprived at the moment and had to say something after seeing your comment. Truth be told, studying the feederism scene for so long has been fascinating; I could probably write a book about it were I more cognizant. But yeah, I'm glad I'm fit and healthy, and that my loved ones are too. I want to be around them for years to come, and feederism is such short gratification.

But what if they're happy with that short life gratification? What if that's what they ultimately want for themselves?

Yeah, you should promote fitness and health, but those who understand the consequences and still choose to live with obesity and are happier for it should not be looked down upon.

That's the name of a BBW model who is supposedly over 800 pounds...
hqdefault.jpg

Same person?

Ferrio

Banned
But what if they're happy with that short life gratification? What if that's what they ultimately want for themselves?

Yeah, you should promote fitness and health, but those who understand the consequences and still choose to live with obesity and are happier for it should not be looked down upon.

If someone is happy with dying young, living with constant pains and all the other things that comes with being obese then I'd argue they aren't healthy mentally.

injurai

Banned

This is so contrived. I've never heard a person in their life that suggested they would rather not get in shape. Usually people make some mistake, or say they want to eventually turn things around. Certainly people at some point just make the concession that they can't do everything and they'd rather put value in the things they've made their life about. But when it comes to fitness it's not because they don't what health or a nicer body. It's because working out is hard, they don't have the habit, and they fill their time with other things that make the concession worth it.

There is a difference between shaming, and promoting obesity on the same level as fitness and health. Trying to sexualize obesity is entirely misplaced in it's motives.

Seems sorta shitty if you're just going to use existing thin actresses and singers and just fatten with photoshop to look like some ideal you have in mind. Why not use actual people of the size? I don't quite get what this is supposed to do for women of larger sizes if they might not actually look like this in the first place.

We can't even talk about people of the actual size on gaf, almost every thread is locked.

Elginer

You know this is something that people just don't understand. Look, I like a plus size woman. That means a little extra chub. It's all good and then there's obese. That's not cool.

Elginer

Obese, not merely overweight. As someone who was obese it's unhealthy and gross and shouldn't be praised or encouraged. Plus size in my eyes is a little bigger than average, these shops are a tier or two above that. It's like when obese people claim they're "curvy".

You get it.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yeah let's promote morbid obesity and all the deadly diseases that come with it.

Moronic.

Seriously. This is disgusting and I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that these women retain their beauty looking like this. The only thing he could have done worse would be to have them eating something like a really sloppy sandwich or something. Morbid obesity is not attractive in the same way that pictures of women smoking is unattractive, but at least cigarette smokers can whiten their teeth, cover their saggy wrinkled skin in makeup and use mouthwash.

Mecha

MmBRLVN.jpg

A window into what humans will look like in a million years.

If someone is happy with dying young, living with constant pains and all the other things that comes with being obese then I'd argue they aren't healthy mentally.

Took a bit longer than I anticipated for someone to bring this up.

Unless it was already brought up. In which case... maybe I need sleep.

spwolf

this is not plus sized... it looks like they are all pregnant with triplets and in 14th month of pregnancy.... maybe he has some fetish about that?

tkscz

*Looks through thread

Pretty much expected from GAF. As for the photoshops, they look as such, photoshopped.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
*Looks through thread

Pretty much expected from GAF. As for the photoshops, they look as such, photoshopped.

Congratulations on adding nothing to the thread. This type of drive-by posting is worse than anything said in this thread, guaranteed.

tkscz

Congratulations on adding nothing to the thread. This type of drive-by posting is worse than anything said in this thread, guaranteed.

It's a thread about plus sized women, I am contractually obligated to post in it. People actually wait for me to post in them, I actually don't want to most of the time.

Why don't you get off your high horse and contribute then?

Nothing I can say that I already haven't in previous threads. I tried to make an official thread to talk about it from both sides and what not, but it got deleted pretty fast. I'd really like to seriously talk about it, but seems pointless on GAF.

Ferrio

Banned
Took a bit longer than I anticipated for someone to bring this up.

Unless it was already brought up. In which case... maybe I need sleep.

Look, I've been regular to morbidly obese to regular to morbidly obese. Back when I was younger and obese I was okay with it, at least that's what I told myself. It was a lie that I believed in 100%. I eventually lost the weight, and holy shit the world is a completely different place. Stuff others would take for granted like running without feeling like you were going to die, going clothes shopping like it wasn't a scavenger hunt, or just sitting up and not having a pain in your damn back. I had lived the lie so long, I had forgot what it was like to function like a healthy person... and god damned it was amazing. I've since put on quite a bit back (not near what I was), but I'm not for a second pretending like this is healthy or better in any way. This isn't even about looks, or sexual attraction... this is about being able to sit in a spot not feel like your stomach is strangling your lower half of your body.

Also as you get older you'll realize this more and more. When you're young, you don't notice it too much. You get older, knees start to hurt, arthritis starts setting in places, shit you could do even when you were fat become a chore.

So no, I believe if someone thinks they'd be happier being obese they're either lying to themselves or there is something mentally wrong.

RDreamer

I don't think these shops are working as intended. When I see a plus sized Emma Watson I don't think "gee, plus sized people can be beautiful, too." It makes me think "Thank fucking god she doesn't look like that."

I feel like it's getting me to be more appreciative of the current beauty standards.

Should have probably gone up just a few sizes, not to this....

Alchemy

We've seen the "well it isn't necessarily unhealthy I know some people" comment already pop up. It is fine if people understand the rules of the game (kind of, personal health and well being extends beyond an individual), but people constantly try to delude themselves into thinking something is ok or risk free. Extends beyond fat acceptance, but thats the topic on hand.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
It's a thread about plus sized women, I am contractually obligated to post in it. People actually wait for me to post in them, I actually don't want to most of the time.

Nothing I can say that I already haven't in previous threads. I tried to make an official thread to talk about it from both sides and what not, but it got deleted pretty fast. I'd really like to seriously talk about it, but seems pointless on GAF.

Plus-sized women can be attractive and healthy, this is showing women who would weigh 300 pounds or more. This would be the equivalent of taking regular sized women and making them ultra-thin with knobby knees, elbows that jut out at the joints, rib cages showing, gaunt faces and other ways to make them resemble those unfortunate souls of concentration camps, , and then saying "there is true beauty here." women should feel comfortable in their own skin, but this is disgusting, just as my example would be.

Acinixys

Plus-sized women can be attractive and healthy, this is showing women who would weigh 300 pounds or more. This would be the equivalent of taking regular sized women and making them ultra-thin with knobby knees, elbows that jut out at the joints, rib cages showing, gaunt faces and other ways to make them resemble those unfortunate souls of concentration camps, , and then saying "there is true beauty here." women should feel comfortable in their own skin, but this is disgusting, just as my example would be.

I agree

Promoting these woman with these extremely unhealthy and (imo) unattractive bodies proves what? That hes good with photoshop?

So, women who weigh more than 300 pounds don't deserve sexuality? Nobody could or should find them attractive?

So, women who weigh more than 300 pounds don't deserve sexuality? Nobody could or should find them attractive?

It is an actual issue. Its fine for people to consider them sexy and beautiful nothing wrong with that at all.

But at that point, it is an actual serious detriment to health and not a standard we should be celebrating honestly.

Nothing wrong however for finding larger women sexy, but theres a medical difference between being a littly chunky and morbidly obese. Like obesity will eventually kill you.

Ahasverus

This is disgusting. Why don't we paint them as mental patients, or anorexic, some poeple would like it too. if you like "plus sized people" (which in this case are claerly not that but morbid obese people) that's fine, but it's not something to be celebrated, AT ALL, else why don't we celebrate tuberculosis too, Jesus.

Pryce

the "real woman" campaign while having some good intentions, is just another way of further body shaming

I wonder how the models who go through constant training and calorie watching feel when these people basically call them "less" than heavier women.

Must feel great.

They aren't just affecting themselves though. I am always amazed at the hypocrisy about smoking and health issues and then seeing people post these types of posts. I am just using yours as an example not necessarily saying anything against you just an overall observation of what is socially acceptable.

terrisus

*Looks through thread

Our kind isn't welcome here =(

Sevarus

These look much larger than plus size models.

Like this is actual obsesity

Well, you've got plenty of obese women whining that plus size models aren't actually "plus size," and they want their body types represented, so there ya go.

Honestly I would be okay if this guy was just like, this is my fetish, but trying to dress it up with social justice warrior speak is irritating.

terrisus

Well, you've got plenty of obese women whining that plus size models aren't actually "plus size," and they want their body types represented, so there ya go.

Or because they're modeling clothes that are too small for them, so it does no good for its stated purpose.

Plus, you also have guys saying that, because they like bigger women.

Nephtis

these pictures are terrible

I know plenty of women that are big, and they would like to be represented more, but this is ridiculous

There is nothing healthy about promoting this body size, just as with stick thin supermodels.

Body acceptance shouldn't be about feeling ok with being dangerously overweight or skinny, but about understanding how your body specifically reacts to dietary changes and physical exertion.

I'm not sure I would equate a broad social movement with a clear fetish. When these pics start showing up on magazine covers, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom