• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I haven't had the game long, but going by Internet word of mouth yellow team is the team not to be in? Is because it's just not red or blue, because I would have assumed Zapdos was the more popular Legendary Bird, don't know why really I just always thought he was the coolest of the three. But everyone seems to be on Red or Blue.

Qwark

Cm2_iC-XEAAjz4L.jpg

hah

It's funny, but it's also shopped. I wouldn't be surprised if businesses have similar notes now though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/z0/4830845696

Ra1den

Summit1g streaming this now is the funniest thing I've seen in recent memory. Walking around a mall looking like robocop.

Iceman829

So I hit level 14 today and I'm sitting at work with only 12 great balls left. I need to get back home where all the pokestops are to refill my items.

This weekend was a blast and I met and talked with a lot of people from my town I would've never interacted with without this game. It was great seeing people of all ages and types working together and pointing in the direction of where the pokemon everyone was looking for was. I think the moment I knew this game was a huge hit was Saturday night people were wandering the park and someone yelled out "PINSIR!!!!" and the next thing you know about a crowd of 30 people ran across the park and over to where the kid was standing.

It seems like Team Instinct in my town owns a section where I sadly don't live, but every once in awhile they take over the 2 gyms near me. I've given up attacking most gyms solo at the current time as I can't keep my pokemon healed enough. They really need a pokecenter or lump in healing with movement.

I would type up all the cool things that happened, but I'll just summarize the best parts.

I made this one salty as fuck Team Valor guy continue to have to walk back to retake a gym when he kept trying to get into his car to leave. Then I would hang out next to the 2 pokestops and just stare at the water like I was just hanging out there. He kept storming back to the gym to retake it and I would put magikarps and carterpies as the gym leaders :)

Then there was this guy walking around with his gf looking for a hitmonchan (they are everywhere near me) and the group I was walking with waved him over. His phone was dying so I let him plug into my portable charger during his capture sequence. We then ran into him again after we tracked a Nidorino. His phone died midcapture and he tossed it on the ground and ran off. His gf captured it and left in search of an oddish in the other direction. I had to chase the guy down and realizing they were actually together to let him know where she went. "WHAT SHE WENT AFTER A FREAKING ODDISH??? WHO DOES THAT!"

Best story for last I guess. Saturday was mostly rainy / misty out all day so it was quiet except for some runners and a few pokemon trainers. This girl I know from the gym happened to be jogging around and we bumped into one another while I was looping around to hit all the pokestops. She would shout something over to me everytime she lapped around and then flash me a smile. On her way out of the park she ran past me while I was cleaning out a gym. We get to talking and now and now we have a date scheduled for this week. Pokemon Go is the new Tinder

All around a great weekend and plenty of great stories about meeting and talking to other people. You never know who you will meet and it's nice to get some fresh air when it's nice out.

If anyone is looking to play this in the long haul always remember the following:
Stay hydrated and remember to eat - I met so many people that forgot to eat and were thirsty

Take care of your feet and don't push your body past what it can do. Get some new walking shoes or inserts if your current shoes are wearing down

Portable chargers are awesome! Get one

Be friendly and don't make people feel unwelcome. The first night I came across teens/college kids cursing out younger kids. Ever since then it's been a great environment of kindness. Always thank the Lure owner if you can.

Don't roam out of the house late at night for that rare pokemon that just popped up on the radar. I wandered to the park twice in search of a scyther and a squirtle and ending up wasting 30 minutes looking for nothing. I don't really sleep so the walk didn't hurt and I live in a safe area, but it can be dumb and all for nothing.

Thanks if you read my wall o text. I hate you forever squirtle

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've lost so many Pokemon to the game freezing as I catch them today. God dammit. That poor 757 Electabuzz.

Arrrammis

Other games can do it why not this game too ?
I mean post articles about them.

I don't mind people posting articles about the game, but when there are 5-6 different threads discussing similar things about the same game at the same time, several of which only have a length of 1 page... it seems a little spammy to me.

If I turn battery saver on, then have my iphone in my pocket for a few minutes and then take it out, the app crashes every time. Anyone else having this issue? This doesn't happen when battery saver is off.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So I haven't had the game long, but going by Internet word of mouth yellow team is the team not to be in? Is because it's just not red or blue, because I would have assumed Zapdos was the more popular Legendary Bird, don't know why really I just always thought he was the coolest of the three. But everyone seems to be on Red or Blue.

Mystic has most members, Instinct least. But all that means is you get to beat up more gyms and belong to a group of select elites who know the best legendary bird. Remember Zapdos can outspeed and OHKO both Moltres and Articuno with Choice Specs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
3 times yesterday... i thought i had bad reception... this is a thing though? i need to catch up on a few pages i guess lol.

Is there any way I should be playing Gyms to avoid the fucking 1hp bullshit? I'm slow tapping and saving my Specials for the killing blow to avoid the failures, but they keep fucking happening.
known bug with no fix yet. It suuucks
Poor guy. It's such a brilliant, brilliant idea and he was basically like "oh let me provide this fantastic service, oh, oh wait, okay but no, NO WAIT PLEASE GOD THE AVALANCHE MAKE IT STOP"
*shrug* I say stand with your team. Whatever you pick, you'll have options. Don't let anyone tell you who you can or cannot be!

Yellow in my area is definitely the smallest team and i didn't really take them seriously (unlike Valor who is trying to move on our stuff EVERYWHERE), but they are getting crafty. They've figured out they'll do better by teaming up to focus on just one or two gyms next to one another and currently (well, as of 4 hours ago when I checked at lunch) have some of the best-defended gyms in our area.

wiibomb

is there some kind of release date for Pokemon Go Pro?

I would actually find it extremely useful since where I live is not as secure as your countries, I actually run a risk of getting robbed. also, I need a quick way to answer pokestops before I get past by them

I'm at that point where I'm running into enough high CP Pokemon that I can't catch any with my pokeballs! I usually end up wasting a few Pokeballs and Razz Berries on a pokemon before it bursts out and decides to run away. Sad!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at that point where I'm running into enough high CP Pokemon that I can't catch any with my pokeballs! I usually end up wasting a few Pokeballs and Razz Berries on a pokemon before it bursts out and decides to run away. Sad!

There's like a trough just before you unlock Great Balls where catching anything becomes a major pain in the ass.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I would actually find it extremely useful since where I live is not as secure as your countries, I actually run a risk of getting robbed. also, I need a quick way to answer pokestops before I get past by them

Current release date listed for Gamestop is July 31st.

I'm wondering if the actual release date is "whenever we figure out how to handle the fact that our initial production run of 100,000 will sell out in the first 0.4 seconds"

Chaos17

Was only available for pre-order during last month.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You're coming up against the level 10-11 gulf where mons out there be strong enough to warrant Great Balls but you don't get them until level 12! I'm there myself.

Hatching eggs or evolving commons is our salvation.

edit: beaten

There's like a trough just before you unlock Great Balls where catching anything becomes a major pain in the ass.

Yeah, I kind of assumed. Do Great Balls unlock at a certain level? And do they just replace Pokeballs in the game at that point, or do you have two separate types of poke ball to juggle then?

Also, thanks for being so damn attentive in this thread. I feel like 50% of the questions I've seen asked, you've answered. You're being a huge help.

You're coming up against the level 10-11 gulf where mons out there be strong enough to warrant Great Balls but you don't get them until level 12! I'm there myself.

edit: beaten

Ah, level 12. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Level 11 is ass, but once you break through it, you're incredibly close to 13 which is where the good stuff is. Persevere!

Wazzy

Banned
My vaporeon is OP and I love it. Spent an hour last night kicking a guy out of the gym and putting in my Hypno so that he had to keep healing. He finally gave up and I still own the gym.

Also found a 300+ Eevee so in hoping for a higher jolteon.
Yeah, I kind of assumed. Do Great Balls unlock at a certain level? And do they just replace Pokeballs in the game at that point, or do you have two separate types of poke ball to juggle then?

Also, thanks for being so damn attentive in this thread. I feel like 50% of the questions I've seen asked, you've answered. You're being a huge help.
Level 12 they unlock and then they're dropped at centres with poke balls.

What's a good way to find "active" areas to walk around in if you live in the middle of nowhere? I've read that pokemon appearing is based on cell activity- and we don't have that.

Driving to the nearest college campus and walking has been nice (shitload of pokestops), but it's half an hour away.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Two separate types.

The servers are down, what else would I do? :p

causan

Are there hacks for this game already? I'm asking because there is a guy near my work that is the gym leader of like 4 gyms and all his pokemon are 1200+. Is it possible to have that many high level pokemon already?

My vaporeon is OP and I love it. Spent an hour last night kicking a guy out of the gym and putting in my Hypno so that he had to keep healing. He finally gave up and I still own the gym.

Also found a 300+ Eevee so in hoping for a higher jolteon.

Level 12 they unlock and then they're dropped at centres with poke balls.

Thanks for all the help! To you, and to everyone.

Fortunately, I've been without Pokeballs (other than the odd 3 or 4) basically all day, so I'm getting used to getting experience by hatching eggs. :p

I saw a Pokestop have a Lure Module enabled but I sadly had errands to run.

On the brighter side however, I'm level 8 and got one for free. I'm definitely using it at my park to see how things thin out because Mystic and Valor are having war with the Gym that is right beside two Pokestops.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are there hacks for this game already? I'm asking because there is a guy near my work that is the gym leader of like 4 gyms and all his pokemon are 1200+. Is it possible to have that many high level pokemon already?

The only hack I know of is GPS spoofing, but I have Pokes in the 900 realm so it's very possible, your man is just dedicated.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Talladega Knight said:
Castlevania hahahaha
Poor Konami, lol

Seriously though, everyone needs to read this, for perspective:

For comparison, let’s look at the most popular and lucrative mobile puzzle game of all time, Candy Crush Saga, which bewitched most of the globe in 2013. This game was an out-of-the-gate sensation — it hit No. 75 on the U.S. iPhone chart on launch day and soared to No. 7 the next day. That was the peak download performance in its first month out.

Strongly monetizing apps don’t usually hit the top of downloads charts because they are optimized to appeal to a limited number of heavy spenders, not the general population. The sales performance of “Candy Crush” was indeed terrific. It hit Number 34 on the U.S. iPhone sales chart just six days after release — and No. 10 in under three weeks.
Pokémon Go hit No. 1 top downloads and No. 1 top grossing in the first 13 hours of its U.S. release.

Walking 30 miles IS bettering oneself.
A couple times now I've gotten home from a session and thought, "man I should really go for a ride later to get some exercise." Then realize I am at that moment sweating from having biked 12 miles.

Wazzy

Banned
Thanks for all the help! To you, and to everyone.

Fortunately, I've been without Pokeballs (other than the odd 3 or 4) basically all day, so I'm getting used to getting experience by hatching eggs. :p
No problem! And I feel you. I have eevee's outside my house but I'm completely out. Thankfully I'm going out later so I'll stock back up pretty fast.

Some near me too are near that. If I had to guess, he's likely visiting many many spots and getting leveled up like crazy from lucky eggs and hatching/evolving/capturing etc.

If someone was active all weekend or so and visiting lots of places/walking all over, it's very possible someone could be that high already.

Top Bottom