• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

AgeEighty

The front page of the digital edition of the Boston Globe currently has not one but two Pokemon GO stories displayed at the top.

Crazy.

I think they'd better have an update coming sooner rather than later, though, if they don't want this thing to fizzle out as quickly as it grew.

Rutti

My cheap battery pack that I got for free from somewhere can't keep up with this apps power usage. I have to preemptively plug it in ~30% battery left. Do better battery packs have this problem?

Servers down in munich -.-
Just left the gym (real world gym, where you exercise) and wanted to catch some pokemon and visit some pokestops, but nah...
Its probably all the americans waking up.

studyguy

So we have WBC posting images of pokemon holding hate signs thanks to Pokémon GO on twitter, kids finding dead bodies thanks to Pokémon Go and random discounts for stuff at stores based on Pokémon GO.

2016 is fucking weird man. Heard NPR going on about Pokémon Go this morning, it was on the Spanish news when I went to visit my parents, it's everywhere.

Even in weird erotic parody fiction.
51jqz3RMUZL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

SoulUnison

Banned
Nothing but server issues for the last 2 hours...

Good it's not just me, then. Suddenly the game just tanked about a half hour ago.

I think they'd better have an update coming sooner rather than later, though, if they don't want this thing to fizzle out as quickly as it grew.

I'm surprised we haven't seen even a minor path already. They should be just absolutely throwing money at this. Keep the momentum going until everyone that possibly can be is invested.
Mismanagement, stagnation and frustration have the potential to kill this so quickly.

oti

Banned
A couple times now I've gotten home from a session and thought, "man I should really go for a ride later to get some exercise." Then realize I am at that moment sweating from having biked 12 miles.

I love the eggs and I love biking but I also love catching Pokémon so it's a trade off. Either bike for eggs or walks for Pokémon.

Falchion

I'm sitting here watching the gym right outside of my office go back and forth between Instinct and Mystic. Little do they know I just assembled the perfect team for the 3 guarding it and I'll go crush it for Valor on my way to the car.

J. Bravo

had to cut my after work walk short because i didn't realize how fucking hot it is and didn't bring water for my dogs :( they were struggling...i feel bad lol. i'lll take some tomorrow tho. and get all the pokestops !

egruntz

shelaughz
Someone explain to me how special moves work.

http://www.serebii.net/pokemongo/moves.shtml

The more powerful moves (60+) seem to have a single bar of energy requirements, and the weaker moves have multiple bars of energy requirements. How do I interpret this? Does Aerial Ace take 4 full bars for instance? Or it can be used four times with a full meter?

ReaperXL7

I keep thinking it would be fun to organize a GOwalk event here in South Florida but I dont really have any experience doing something like that. I've organized parties but I think this could potentially but a lot bigger then just 20-30 people. Also have to figure out where to do it and a good route to take.

So i thought it was funny they only showed the shadow of the team characters (the articunos, zapdos and moltres ones).
Is there already art of them on the internet? Like people trying to draw a character that fits that shadow?
teammystic-e1467934220267.jpg

They seem cool desings, but is niantic going to use them as more than shadow figures?

:) if you stick with it, wait til you have the chance to group up and coordinate for taking down a gym with members of your team or get invited on area hunts where something cool is rumored to be. It's too good.

Yup, 2 more firends are also going with the articuno team. Articuno has always been my favourite pokemon, so even before knowing that is the most popular in Pokemon GO I was laready on that team.
The guys today also said to be Articuno when they get to level 5.
Who the fuck likes Zapdos? lol

SoulUnison

Banned

The more powerful moves (60+) seem to have a single bar of energy requirements, and the weaker moves have multiple bars of energy requirements. How do I interpret this? Does Aerial Ace take 4 full bars for instance? Or it can be used four times with a full meter?

Four times with a full meter.
The way the battles work it feels like the "1 bar" and "2 bar" Specials are the usable ones, and the "3 bar" and "4 bar" Specials seem to take too much time to use to be worthwhile.

oti

Banned
So i thought it was funny they only showed the shadow of the team characters (the articunos, zapdos and moltres ones).
Is there already art of them on the internet? Like people trying to draw a character that fits that shadow?

The blue shadow was the coolest shadow and that's why I picked blue lol. She looks like a Pirate Trainer or something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I keep thinking it would be fun to organize a GOwalk event here in South Florida but I dont really have any experience doing something like that. I've organized parties but I think this could potentially but a lot bigger then just 20-30 people. Also have to figure out where to do it and a good route to take.
Hmm I never have either but I'd be down to help work something like this out with you. Maybe something along Las Olas?

The special meter with several bars means it can be used whenever one of those little bars is full. So you can use specials more quickly or hold off and fire off a bunch in a row. Moves with a single bar require for the special meter to be completely full.

I used some multi-bar specials in gym fights yesterday, but things were moving so fast I can't see how those single long bars would be useful.

Where abouts in south florida?

SoulUnison

Banned
The three starters, pikachu, clefairy, and others can hatch from those.

O shit!

Also, Instinct Leader is the coolest.
The only dude, his name is fucking "Spark," and I love electric types.
Plus Zapdos has the type advantage over both of the other two birds. Resists flying and hits them both with Electric.

egruntz

shelaughz
The way the battles work it feels like the "1 bar" and "2 bar" Specials are the usable ones, and the "3 bar" and "4 bar" Specials seem to take too much time to use to be worthwhile.

So Gengar is the strongest Pokemon? He has the highest regular attack (16) and has the two bar special.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

1 bar specials have the problem that you have to use them frequently to get the most mileage out of them, but you can't dodge and use the specials, so sometimes they can actually lower your damage given/damage received ratio because dodging is critical at higher CPs. 2-bar are the best, I find.

Glix

Good it's not just me, then. Suddenly the game just tanked about a half hour ago.

I'm surprised we haven't seen even a minor path already. They should be just absolutely throwing money at this. Keep the momentum going until everyone that possibly can be is invested.
Mismanagement, stagnation and frustration have the potential to kill this so quickly.

I have been playing all day and it seemed to happen when everyone on the east coast got out of work at 5:00

L.O.R.D

BEWARE EVERYONE
using fake GPS apps and using GPS wrapping method will soft-ban you for 2 hours,and maybe perm ban your google account.
DON'T DO IT.

but i don't know about using VPN in your mobile.

gngf123

Holy shit, two guys just drove past and see me on my phone. They just shouted out "Mate do you play Pokémon Go? Do you know where the nearest Pokestop is?"

The game isn't even launched yet. I've never had this happen for Ingress.

This game is insane.

ReaperXL7

Hmm I never have either but I'd be down to help work something like this out with you. Maybe something along Las Olas?

Yeah, we could look into it. I do think I'd have to get the police involved so I have to find out the details on that. It would most likely be on a Saturday if we can get it going.

Also* I just got your PM buddy. Sorry I didn't respond to it earlier, I usually browse Gaf of my phone so I don't always see my PM notifications.

Where abouts in south florida?

I live in the margate/coconut creek area so that would be fine, or Boca or Ft Lauderdale. Possible we could do it at the Sawgrass Mills mall which might be the easiest location to set it up at.

I'm actually curious what that mall looks like for pokestops

SoulUnison

Banned
1 bar specials have the problem that you have to use them frequently to get the most mileage out of them, but you can't dodge and use the specials, so sometimes they can actually lower your damage given/damage received ratio because dodging is critical at higher CPs. 2-bar are the best, I find.

I think you actually interpreted what I was saying backwards.
"1 bar" would be a move that just has a single, large bar.
"4 bar" would be a move that has a bar composed of four segments.

I'm saying the moves that have one large bar seem to be best, and the moves you can use "rapidly" seem to take too long to actually use + generally weak power output to be worth it.

T.O.P

Banned
So tomorrow is Incense/Lucky Egg/Module for lunch break at a Poke Stop MickeyDs near my office

I also have 5 eggs to hatch and 4-5 Pokemon to evolve

Sweet, SWEET EXP

Dominator

There was an Ivysaur on my Nearby list, with only 1 foot next to it. I freaked, walked outside my house, then it was 2 feet. Then I walked up the street and it disappeared :(

T.O.P

Banned
There was an Ivysaur on my Nearby list, with only 1 foot next to it. I freaked, walked outside my house, then it was 2 feet. Then I walked up the street and it disappeared :(

We're cursed, i missed 1 Bulbasaur, 2 Ivysaur, 2 Venosaur in 2 days

Nowhere to be found

Top Bottom