• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Prism (Crystal romhack) |OT| Get your kicks at Route 68+1

pokmonprismt3jjd.jpg

What is Pokemon Prism?

Pokemon Prism is a long-awaited romhack of Pokemon Crystal version developed by a very talented programmer in the Pokemon Rom Hacking scene called Koolboyman. It's the direct sequel to an older hack he created called Pokemon Brown (hack of Red with a new region and an expanded Pokedex.

Three months ago A trailer was released, annoucing that after 8 years of development, Prism would be released, and would get a special preview stream of the release version on Twitch Plays Pokemon's twitch channel. Unfortunately, on December 21st, just four days before the hack's Christmas release, Koolboyman man received a cease & desist order from Nintendo and subsequently shut down his site which hosted the patches for his previous rom hacks and canceled Pokemon Prism. A day later however, and anonymous group that had access to the files (it was known that KBM had given earlier copies of the game to beta testers prior to the C&D) leaked the latest possible build of Prism, so the game is now playable if you can find it.

What features does this hack have?
-Generation 2 graphics with brand new tilesets and UI elements, runs at 60 fps
-Game mechanics have been updated to Generation 6 (XY/ORAS) standards (Physical/Special split, Fairy type, EXP system, Abilities etc)
-Completely new story with two full regions (Naljo and Rijon, the latter of which is the region from Pokemon Brown), plus brief visits to small portions of three others
-20 badges across the Naljo and Rijon leagues, 4 of which of optional cameo fights
-Trainer customization (with better skin tone options than the official games)
-Starter is Larvitar
-Pokemon from Gens 3, 4, and 6 are included. Plus a few original Pokemon that act as the legendaries of Naljo, with new sprites, animations, and their proper cries
-New types (Sound & Gas)
-Brand new Game Corner games (including pachisi from dragon quest!)
-new soundtrack featuring both original songs and remixes from other Pokemon games
-dungeons and quests where you play as your Pokemon
-Trainer skill system where you can improve stats like Mining or Crafting for rewards
-Trade compatibility with Pokemon Brown and the TPP authored hacks Red Anniversary Edition and Crystal Anniversary Edition (found here: http://tppdevs.com/)
-two postgame battle facilities (Battle Tower and Battle Arcade)
... and much more.

Guides
Walkthrough
Data Sheet (Moves, Items, Minigames, etc.)
Type Chart
Pokemon Locations
Rijon Series Wiki
Base Player Models
Where can I find this game?
Can't help you there. Typically, rom hack patches are safe to link to on GAF since they don't include the game, but because of the legal issues this game faced i'm going to err on the side of caution and ask everyone not to post links to Prism here or ask for any. Trust your google-fu.

This is what the MD5 and SHA of the .gbc file should of v0.91 build 0144 should look like:
Code:
MD5: 4ca545ec793c0bd17ea4cb6c6e3cc10d
SHA-1: c31839cd956540c7b27a94755769a878ca69d065

You can check this with a program like WinMD5.

Okay, I have the game, but how do I play it?
Use a GBC emulator. What's recommended for this particular hack is the Gambatte emulator because it's compatible with all the extensive edits made to the Crystal rom. Want to play the game on the go? Check and see if your device of choice can run Retroarch and play the game through Retroarch's Gambatte core. Other suitable methods to play will be posted as time goes on.

How much is playable in the leaked build?
Pretty much the entire planned main story plus most of the postgame. There were some other postgame events that were planned to be added in post-release patches but that will likely never come to pass because of the cancellation. However, Prism does have it's source code available, so there's always the possibility that someone else could pick up the slack down the road!

Videos/Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDsscaDO54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpGBQOaXsU4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDL3sP8ISCE

Bugs

Latest bugfix: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/264187806904090625/281586758431277056/pokeprism0151.rar (2/16, Ver. 0.93)
Code:
Version 0.93, build 0151 (16 February 2017):
* Major bug fix release, most known bugs fixed
* Battle Tower supposedly working
* Added shiny apricorns at random in the overworld
* Changed credits to a less serious and more adequate version
* Shiny Balls preserve the caught Pokemon's ability
* Several sprite/picture updates
* Debug features to reset the clock at start (to replace the noRTC patch)
* RTC working properly
* Moveset reviews and changes
* Broken logos at the start replaced by our own logo
* Rewrote Laurel Forest Pokemon-only area
Download and use LunarIPS to apply the patch to your Prism gbc file. Remember to make a backup of the game before patching.
=Please Refrain from any heated arguments about trademarks/copyright/intellectual properties in this thread. Focus on discussion of the game=

Cody_D165

Banned
Everything I have seen about the leaked build easily cements it as one of the most impressive ROM hacks of all time from a technical standpoint... Koolboyman should be proud. A real shame that this patch wasn't allowed to see a proper release as he intended.

docbon

Man, Mound Cave was a bit of a doozy. Looking for five sticks of dynamite in that sprawling cave had my party looking like it stepped out of a hyperbolic time chamber by the end.

Toxi

Banned
I don't know why Pokémon fans are so obsessed with Sound type.

EVERY POKÉMON MAKES SOUND
Every Pokemon fights, yet we still have a Fighting type. A Sound type would be for Pokemon themed around sound in some way, whether it be music, explosively loud noises, talking, or even silence.

Sound type is an easy split because most sound-themed Pokemon (Meloetta, Exploud, Jigglypuff) are Normal type to take advantage of Normal STAB for sound-based moves. It's also a theme with a lot of potential; Meloetta and Exploud are both themed around sound in entirely different ways.

Keyouta

I'll check it out, I liked playing through Pokemon Brown. Hopefully the dev isn't too distraught at getting C&D'd. I'd like to see a brand new game developed by him next.

jackal27

Banned
Really enjoying what I've played so far! I seem to be getting my butt kicked left and right, but it's cool! Nice to see some features from later games here like Fairy Type and TMs with infinite uses!

Something about seeing the newer (GBA onward) Pokemon in the retro sprite style and sound effects makes them feel more real to me. Like this game erases my mental divide between "Pokemon" and "new Pokemon" and makes them all feel "right" together, like they've always been there.

Game's pretty challenging so far too.

The biggest flaws are some limitations of the Gen 2 base, like not having move descriptions when you learn them, and the PC box system that won't let you catch into a full box until you change to a new one or make space.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to run in this? Either through setting or in game itself? I know there was a way in vba for gba romhacks but I can't remeber if you could in the beta version of this way back when.

Errr nvm it is lol

I'm loving this game. I lol'd when I encountered the Power Rangers as villains in this. Perhaps a nod to Super Mario Bros who did the same thing.

They were kind of tough, mainly due to their Eevees, but I managed through them.

Now I'm in the Laurel forest trying to figure out how to complete it. I
gave the Caterpie back to its mom, fought Wartortle who had Confusion for some reason, fed Pikachu, and gave a big rock to Charamander
What do I do now?

flowsnake

I wonder why Fairy isn't weak to Steel...is it weak against any of the new types?

Seems even more overpowered than usual if not.

Is the Pokemon location pdf complete? Is there really only three Electric-types you can get in the game? I just used the Mareep line in Soul Silver and I don't like the Shinx line and am tired of Pikachu and don't want to use Jolteon either.

Also, Luxio can be caught in the wild. I think on the route before Laurel Forest.

Will the author get in trouble since it has been leaked ?

If Nintendo want to then yes, although I feel they did due diligence on their part by trying to restrict the release already. It was more important to them, from a legal standpoint, to be seen trying to halt the release of the game rather than actually forcing it not to be released

indask8

If Nintendo want to then yes, although I feel they did due diligence on their part by trying to restrict the release already. It was more important to them, from a legal standpoint, to be seen trying to halt the release of the game rather than actually forcing it not to be released

Yes I hope that's enough, I wouldn't like to see Nintendo going full berserk and ruining this poor guy life.

I wonder why Fairy isn't weak to Steel...is it weak against any of the new types?

Seems even more overpowered than usual if not.
Assuming the type chart is correct you were probably facing a Fairy/Sound type Pokemon which Steel will be neutral towards. Gas is super effective vs. fairy.

I'll admit as much as I'm not a fan of rom hacks that make fakemon or add new pokemon types

Sound really should be its own type.

Moosichu

Nintendo only blocked the release of the game because they wanted to, not because they had to. They were not forced into it. They will probably want to chase this up.

flowsnake

Assuming the type chart is correct you were probably facing a Fairy/Sound type Pokemon which Steel will be neutral towards. Gas is super effective vs. fairy.

Ah, I was fighting a Wigglytuff which is apparently Sound?

Edit: There's a chart in the OP, whoops!

NeonZ

I don't know why Pokémon fans are so obsessed with Sound type.

EVERY POKÉMON MAKES SOUND

Probably because there are sound based attacks in the game already, but no specific type for them, so they're just considered "normal" or some other type.

In fact, due to some abilities and effects, like sound proof, there's pretty much an official sub-class of "sound" attacks even though they aren't an actual type.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Sound_moves

I want to dive in, but It's mentioned that this is a direct sequel to Brown. Do I need to play Pokemon Brown before playing this to understand what's going on?

Is Pokemon Brown any good? Worth playing before Prism?

I want to dive in, but It's mentioned that this is a direct sequel to Brown. Do I need to play Pokemon Brown before playing this to understand what's going on?

You don't need to play Brown first, but if you want to play a good Red hack, I'd definitely recommend it.

playing this game on 3DS is godlike

btw,what is "Tri" type?

Tri Attack now does Fire/Ice/Electric damage at the same time.

question,is there a natures in this game?

No.

Boney

Banned
How are the regions? I was playing polished crystal which is great and I can be assured johto and Kanto stay awesome

Top Bottom