• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sebulon3k said:
Tried playing this today, how do I play against friends :(?

Not possible yet I believe. But it seems they're promising it for the future.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
artwalknoon said:
Is Nintendo involved in this at all or is this one of those strictly pokemon company not Nintendo things?

The latter. This doesn't even have anything to do with Gamefreak.

Acerac

Banned
After my 49 trainer, 7 energy and 4 pokemon deck I think I'm pretty much done with this game. I wanted to get 50 trainer cards so badly, but I just couldn't cut anything.

3 rocket's zapdos, 1 happiny, 6 electric energy, 1 steel, and a whole lot of trainers. Who gives a fuck if you mulligan 4 times as long as you can drop a lass/rocket traplock and or win turn one? Such a broken game.

watershed

Banned
Andrex said:
The latter. This doesn't even have anything to do with Gamefreak.
That's a shame. This whole game should be on the 3ds for a small price in the eshop or something with microtransactions. Pokemon is the perfect property for Nintendo to make a big move into the online space with.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
artwalknoon said:
That's a shame. This whole game should be on the 3ds for a small price in the eshop or something with microtransactions. Pokemon is the perfect property for Nintendo to make a big move into the online space with.

Eh?

This way is completely free and anyone can play it. I don't get why people want this on just 3DS.

watershed

Banned
Andrex said:
Eh?

This way is completely free and anyone can play it. I don't get why people want this on just 3DS.
No not just for the 3ds or even not specifically this game. I meant that pokemon is such a popular series Nintendo should leverage it to make inroads in the online space like an mmo or a version of this game playable on the 3ds or something.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, that'd be swell.

I love this version though. Just needs real player battling.

Zebra

New Black & White expansion hit the stores the other day. Has anyone gotten a deck or booster pack and tried out the codes? Can anyone tell me if the deck code will only give me the digital copy of that particular deck?

wwm0nkey

you know I have to admit this is A LOT of fun, when i was a kid I mostly collected the cards rather than actually play with them lol

Would be amazing if they could bring this to the 3DS or something.

wwm0nkey

So wait, buying a booster pack also gives you a booster pack in the game?

Man this would be massive if put on consoles and handhelds.

wwm0nkey

Finally found out how to play online (website is not very clear on that) and this really is a lot fun, even more so when playing actual players.

wwm0nkey

Glass Rebel said:
Can you win cards by playing? Or is it limited to the stuff you get at the beginning?
If you beat 12 people with the base decks at the start you unlock those to use in online matches.

Or you can buy Black&White boosters and ect and get booster packs online too.
(I think some people actually just sell the online codes too)

wwm0nkey said:
to be honest playing with the base decks are just fine.

Yeah, I already unlocked every deck ages ago and the deck builder seems like a PITA to use. I'll probably check it out when it's out of beta but I'd much rather pay for a DS version where I don't have to buy boosters.

I played the living heck of the little trading card game from the GBC and would love to see a 3ds version. I love TCG and wish I had something else to play besides 2008 Yugioh world edition. Make it happen Nintendo.

wwm0nkey

HappyPuppy said:
I played the living heck of the little trading card game from the GBC and would love to see a 3ds version. I love TCG and wish I had something else to play besides 2008 Yugioh world edition. Make it happen Nintendo.
I dont think I would be to surprised if this made its way to the 3DS in some form.

I mean the TCG codes that come in the boosters have QR codes I think so that would put the 3DS camera to good use.

I've unlocked all the basic decks and finished all the single-player challenges, but online is an entirely different beast. The power creep is insane; it almost boils down to going first or else you lose.

I did beat a Water deck with my Fire deck last night though.

wwm0nkey

Hope they can get the PvP working soon.

Also the fact that there will be a MAC version makes me think they might do an iOS release of this and hopefully a 3DS one as well.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm like stuck in an endless update that keeps closing the game and reopening. Won't let me play.

Fixed it by deleting the folder in appdata roaming, than reinstalling the game in the downloads folder.

Kinda wish this game had a top down view.

After my 49 trainer, 7 energy and 4 pokemon deck I think I'm pretty much done with this game. I wanted to get 50 trainer cards so badly, but I just couldn't cut anything.

3 rocket's zapdos, 1 happiny, 6 electric energy, 1 steel, and a whole lot of trainers. Who gives a fuck if you mulligan 4 times as long as you can drop a lass/rocket traplock and or win turn one? Such a broken game.

I just now saw this post and cannot figure out how you can win on turn one with the above mentioned cards. Someone, give me some insight please!

Player vs Player is now supported in the newest update. Don't know how many people here are still playing this though.

Nice, sure beats my brother and me synchronizing multiplayer starts and then dodging when we get another opponent (yes I know that's annoying).

Qurupeke

Started playing this recently. Actually kinda cool. I'll buy some new theme decks too, as I've stopped playing since the HS era. Always, a new Pokemon game launch is a reason to start playing PTCG again. Basically, PTCG Online is a great simulator. And it's good that you can play with others now. By the way, if someone has a spare code for theme decks, pm me.

udivision

Nintendo made an online multiplayer game for the PC, revived a dead series (the game versions of the TCG), and to top it off it's a Pokemon game.

And... this is all the fanfare? :I

Firestorm

I've been playing it a lot lately after trading came back up. Got Rayquaza/Eelektrik, Empoleon/Accelgor, and Garbodor/Terrakion decks built. Waiting for Boundaries Crossed to be released :)

Add FirestormXVI if you wanna play

I might make a new OT for the downloadable game.

udivision

I've been playing it a lot lately after trading came back up. Got Rayquaza/Eelektrik, Empoleon/Accelgor, and Garbodor/Terrakion decks built. Waiting for Boundaries Crossed to be released :)

Add FirestormXVI if you wanna play

I might make a new OT for the downloadable game.

Alright, will do.

Can you unlock things by beating humans? Or even the challenge mode?

Kokonoe

Banned
Nintendo made an online multiplayer game for the PC, revived a dead series (the game versions of the TCG), and to top it off it's a Pokemon game.

And... this is all the fanfare? :I

Because they didn't put the old cards and made them defunk. Still nice, though!

I played this a ton but with no codes the stock cards get stomped on by the new stuff.

I think it's a bit broken when games are decided with your opening hand and/or the coin flip to see who goes first. I guess that's why the current meta is heavily Trainer-card oriented.

And yeah the power creep is pretty substantial. Old sets don't hold a candle to the new sets.

I remember Gust of Wind was banned a long time ago, but Pokemon Catcher now has the same effect.

Prof Oak was also banned but Juniper has the same effect (except it's a Supporter).

Firestorm

I have 3 decks built right now.

Rayquaza / Eelektrik - 89 Wins, 11 Losses
Garbodor / Terrakions - 41 Wins, 9 Losses
Empoleon / Accelgor - 15 Wins, 5 Losses

I have so many games with my Ray deck because it was the only one I was able to finish before they introduced trading. Garbodor is my main deck though and as soon as they release Boundaries Crossed later today I am gonna update it and test before the City Championships start up later this month irl.
Uh, they can't be broken, the newer cards completely gimp them in every way.
Computer Search
Item Finder
Professor Oak / Bill

Draw trainers were turned into Supporters later. You can only play one Supporter per turn which helps balance them out. Computer Search and Item Finder (later turned into Junk Arm) are now Ace Specs. You are only allowed to have one Ace Spec period in your deck. Little bit more balanced there too.

Otherwise, yeah, the old Pokemon are horribad.

Firestorm

Soooo if you have codes to redeem you should get online and do them now on Boundaries Crossed. It seems to be screwy in that if you pull an Ultra Rare or Ace Spec, it gives you two instead of 1.

Top Bottom