• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

N4Us

btkadams said:
does the flash game actually run cleanly on anyone's computer? my computer (macbookpro) is pretty fast but it fucking chugs when i play the flash game. i look at activity monitor and it bounces over 100% of cpu usage in chrome or safari.

I'm on a MBP running it on Firefox and it's been fine for me. But yeah, flash tends to get nasty in Safari.

I think it definitely has issues. I'm using Firefox, but my computer has crashed completely twice in the last hour while playing this. I'm going to try again tomorrow. If it happens again, I'll be bitterly disappointed. I want to spend a LOT of time with this.

Just played again for about an hour, and exactly the same thing happened.

Can anybody else confirm any problems they're having, no matter how small? I'm going to send them an e-mail about this, and I'm hoping they can address it in a future update. I won't be playing again until they do, which is a tremendous shame, as I was absolutely loving it, and I was planning on spending quite a few lunch hours at work with it.

btkadams

Ben2749 said:
Just started, and won the first game. I'm *incredibly* impressed with the presentation. The graphics and sound are top-notch, the user interface is intuitive, and the gameplay is perfect. I've been wanting a sequel to the Game Boy Color Pokemon TCG for years, but if the online in this has no problems, this would be even better, as unlike a console/handheld game, Nintendo will properly support this, and you can actually get in-game cards by buying them in real life.

Speaking of which, I haven't bought any Pokemon cards since the original Base set (which I completed), but when I can build decks and play against other people online in this, being able to transfer my real life cards into the game would totally get me to go out and buy some.

I have a few questions regarding the game itself though, if some kind souls could answer them.

1) Is all progress saved? So if I stop playing, and resume playing tomorrow, all the tokens I've earned, people I've beat, new cards I won, etc, will be there? If so, that turns it from a time-waster to a full-blown game in my eyes.

2) If the game does save progress, when does it save? I'm hesitant to stop playing, for fear that I quit at the wrong time and lose a bunch of stuff.

3) Unlocking new cards replaces old ones, right? But are all the cards I've ever owned recorded, so that when deck-building is implemented, I can choose from cards I used to have in my deck?
1) yes, you have an account.
2) it is always saved, except when you are int he middle of a match and close your browser or leave. it won't resume where you were in the match. you'll have to select it again. there's no save button.
3)no one knows anything about the deck builder yet. the people developing the game have been keeping their mouth shut on everything.

kiryani

Just bought Pokemon cards from Toys'r'us to play this game, honestly can't believe I'm buying pokemon cards at 20.

Wish there was some sort of option to just buy digital decks and boosters, I'd be all over that.

Sorry for the (double post/bump), but has anyone boughten any of the booster packs? I saw them at Walmart and will definitely have to snag one the next time I go. Apparently they give you a code to get into the closed beta. :O

On another note, I like how my avatar randomly got blush when I had freckles. I want access to the rest of the clothing options. >_< I also hate the weekly token limit, because I want to buy everything possible. O_O Each week I just have to go after the limited items, and I already missed some. :(

Boney

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
Sorry for the (double post/bump), but has anyone boughten any of the booster packs? I saw them at Walmart and will definitely have to snag one the next time I go. Apparently they give you a code to get into the closed beta. :O

On another note, I like how my avatar randomly got blush when I had freckles. I want access to the rest of the clothing options. >_< I also hate the weekly token limit.
no bumping!

Boney said:
no bumping!
:p Someone has to keep this thread alive, damn it! On a side note, I love your avatar. :3 She wasn't in enough of the episodes that I watched.

*clears throat*
duckroll said:
Note that bumping an inactive game |OT| to discuss that game is acceptable.

If Andrex is still banned when the beta ends, I am so making the next |OT|.

Edit: Golfham, this thread is dead. :( I am going to get a booster pack today.

pbrand

Neo Member
I really loved the gameboy TCG game, so this is awesome (despite the deckbuilding limitations). Thanks!

pbrand said:
I really loved the gameboy TCG game, so this is awesome (despite the deckbuilding limitations). Thanks!
A new post other than myself. :O I'm hoping the deck building is in the closed beta (will hopefully find out today).

G-Fex

Mush said:
Yugioh > Pokeymanz
TCG

Very true
And just beats pokeymanz overall too

but I love childrens card games all the same I'll try this one out thanks for the bump.

So, I saw a commercial that Beyblade has an online game too or something. Is that worth checking out too? *liked Beyblade in middle school* I guess I am about to find out.

Damn, this is more complicated than I thought it would be, for the better. I'm intrigued.

Edit: I'm opening my first booster pack in years! :O Closed beta, here I come!

I got Lillipup and it's two evolutions in one pack, as well as Oshawott, Tepig, and Service. Heh, go figure.

I didn't get a code.
8yvw20.jpg

1zxbj3r.jpg

User on forum said:
WOW there is literally about 200 threads about this subject but i'll help you out.
1) You will not find the boosters at major retailers only smaller card and hobbie shops
2) You will not find them in blisters, tins, theme decks or theme boxes ie, victini box
3) You will find them in booster boxes and FOIL packs that are marked very clearly! On the boxes the bottom left corner of the box will say it contains codes as well it will have the online logo on it (two red cards with the white play symbol) the FOIL packs will have the same marking onthe back of the FOIL package near the barcode.
I can't help you any more than this all i can say is i live in a small city in central Canada and they are here so they should be available most places you just have to look Happy Hunting.
I wish I had read that sooner. -_-

Only specially marked booster packs (at specialty shops) get you into the closed beta.

I will be on the hunt tomorrow.

nli10

Wiseblade said:
Any confirmation these packs are available in the UK? I'm sure I could afford to buy one to get into the beta.

I'd be happy to buy the code and leave the cards in the store :) I've no idea whether my Games shop would sell these cards. Maybe Game Gamestation do? Please keep the thread posted if people find codes.

Either way the existing engine is great, and although the game it's based on is far too random and simplistic as it stands it's fun enough.

The existing Green deck has been enough to steamroller me to the end of the 3rd cup with no real problems except for bad draw.

And no - this has no similarity to the Planeswalkers MTG / or the 2012 version. It handles itself in very different ways. Different company, or at least different engine.

Man God said:
The only reason I wouldn't bother is that the game seems like it is only weeks away from going live.
Some of us are impatient. >:| I have no one to play with in real life. *foreveralone.jpg*

I was in Walmart today, and there were absolutely no Pokemon toys. o_O

More information on obtaining the promo codes.

http://pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=95832&pid=1915461#pid1915461
So here is the low down on the beta codes. Each code you recive from a booster will open up an online booster in the closed beta, the only way into the colsed beta is to obtain one of said cards. The cards come in booster boxes that are clearly marked that each booster contains one card, if the box does not say this it does NOT contain any codes. Distrubution has been done very poorly and looks to be centralized in the U.S. major retailers will not have these code only local hobbie and game shops. You will not find codes in blisterbacks tins theme decks or any theme boxes of cards ie. victini box, ONLY BOOSTER BOXES!! If you are lucky to find a shop that sells them individualy on the back of the FOIL package above the bar code it will clearly state a code card is inside, when buying the booster box if it is marked all boosters in the box will contain a code. 36 boosters = 36 codes Happy hunting!!!!

I've called some specialty shops and none have them. Fuck this shit.

If someone finds the special boosters, I might be willing to buy a code. Hell, if I find them, I will be giving them away (assuming I can get more than one pack).

Another store down.
244y4u9.jpg

Firehead said:
Wow, I was just about to place the order, I get to the last screen and BAM they slap a shipping charge on. I was thinking they would just email it to you.
Perhaps a group order? The shipping speeds suck for the prices. Why can't they just give me the code online. -_-

Frak this, I'm going on eBay.

Update: I bought a code for only $1.50. Not bad.

Update 2: Another maintenance day has begun, and I just got my code too. :(

ninj4junpei said:
So, I saw a commercial that Beyblade has an online game too or something. Is that worth checking out too? *liked Beyblade in middle school* I guess I am about to find out.
Obligatory

When does this fully release? I'm morbidly curious to try this out just for old times sake. Reminds me of when i thought I was hot shit having a holographic mewtwo, except it was the same one EVERYONE got for going to the movie :/ Ah middle school

EDIT: cause I can't read

Lunchbox

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
Obligatory

When does this fully release? I'm morbidly curious to try this out just for old times sake. Reminds me of when i thought I was hot shit having a holographic mewtwo, except it was the same one EVERYONE got for going to the movie :/ Ah middle school

EDIT: cause I can't read

closed betas on right now with online + deck builder

you need a booster pack code, but you can buy just the code for a dollar on ebay

Lunchbox

Banned
n3ss said:
Anyone have any impressions from the beta? How's the deck builder?
you want screenshots?

its pretty shitty right now. matchmaking doesnt work and they dont start you out with the 3 starter decks you have with the trainer challenges. so you have to open random booster packs to make half broken decks that dont work. they should've given everyone all 3 of those starter decks. so basically who ever goes out and buys the actual decks from the store and then builds upon that with the booster will never lose against your half fire- half electric - half water - half steel deck with a buncha normal pokes :|

oh and it crashes on chrome sometimes

I couldn't get anything to load, and now the site is back under maintenance. I got my code to work, though. :D

Update: It's still down. :( Wait, what? It's back up.

Update: Blue Assault sucks for the trainer challenge on hard mode.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ColtraineGF said:
It only comes with the 37 cards of the set though, and it's meant as a tutorial. But, if this is being made on the DS now, then...

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD. *shudder*

I want a P:TCG 3 (yes, I count the Team Rocket booster as "2") on the DS (NOT THE 3DS!), Nintendo. :eek:ooooooooooooooooooo!

Add in the "Wizard's era" cards unless you've rebalanced them so I can have Team Rocket and Gym Leaders cards and oh boy.

Zebra

I just started trying this out after recently getting some code in a B&W booster pack.

I never bothered with the game when they first put it up because my interest in the TCG had waned, but wow this is great. The thread title sums up my feelings exactly. It's exactly what I would have wanted out of a digital pokemon TCG. I haven't had a single issue with it, either.

Anyone here still playing this??

btkadams

Zebra said:
I just started trying this out after recently getting some code in a B&W booster pack.

I never bothered with the game when they first put it up because my interest in the TCG had waned, but wow this is great. The thread title sums up my feelings exactly. It's exactly what I would have wanted out of a digital pokemon TCG. I haven't had a single issue with it, either.

Anyone here still playing this??
i was but it's been in the same restricted beta for a while and i don't feel like putting time in when it's all going to reset.

Zebra

btkadams said:
i was but it's been in the same restricted beta for a while

Has there been any hints as to when the game will be ready?? Perhaps by the time the next B&W expansion comes out??

kiryani

btkadams said:
i was but it's been in the same restricted beta for a while and i don't feel like putting time in when it's all going to reset.

This.

I was playing it every day but now I'm bored of deck building and meaningless battles.

Especially as decks are going to be reset.

Top Bottom