• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

Poyunch

FleaTheMagician said:
So, as of right now the cards you get from winning a battle don't do anything, because there is no deck builder, correct?
Well yes they're inserted into your deck.

Proven

FleaTheMagician said:
Oh really? I assumed the decks were 60 cards already.
Either you start with 48 cards in your deck or the cards you get replace other cards.

Oh wait, does pokemon even have a card maximum on deck size? So it could be that we start with 60 and go up to 72... no wonder I get abysmal draws.

Proven said:
Either you start with 48 cards in your deck or the cards you get replace other cards.

Oh wait, does pokemon even have a card maximum on deck size? So it could be that we start with 60 and go up to 72... no wonder I get abysmal draws.

The maximum size is supposed to be 60.

iirate

Proven said:

At least when I played years ago, Pokemon has a minimum AND maximum deck size. You had to stay exactly at 60 cards; which means the new cards are replacing some old ones, the rules around deckbuilding have changed in the 5 or so years since I last played, or for the purposes of this demo period, they adjusted deckbuilding rules a bit.

Poyunch

bucsfan0210 said:
What do you do with the tokens you earn?
Was about to ask this. Deck Builder's not out yet. There's the avatar editor but I can't find the shop. If it's not out why would Nintendo bother releasing tokens? Just to reward early adopters?

I had a match freeze on me earlier today. I attached an energy, then decided to undo it. Once I did that I was not able to do anything (including ending my turn).

Boogiepop

FleaTheMagician said:
I had a match freeze on me earlier today. I attached an energy, then decided to undo it. Once I did that I was not able to do anything (including ending my turn).
This happens to me a fair bit, unfortunately, and there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about it. Most depressing one was definitely when all I had to do was attack to win, and I pointlessly decided to evolve one of my benched pokemon first only to have things freeze.

Proven

Eteric Rice said:
When will this be out of beta? I want to play it when I can build my own decks and what not.
At PAX East I was told that they wouldn't have actual online against other human players out until mid-summer...

Boogiepop

Ugh, did not realize you have to buy the B/W decks in real life to use them here. That sucks and is kind of counter to the reason I'm so interested in this thing (a way to play the game without obliterating ones budget). Hopefully this really does finally spur them into making a serious fully featured 3DS follow up...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why do people want a 3DS game so much? It'd probably be exactly like the Yugioh DS games -- outdated by the time it comes out, with a useless and intrusive story mode that makes you painstakingly and slowly unlock cards you already have.

Andrex said:
Why do people want a 3DS game so much? It'd probably be exactly like the Yugioh DS games -- outdated by the time it comes out, with a useless and intrusive story mode that makes you painstakingly and slowly unlock cards you already have.

I want to play this on the go. I still play the gameboy one from time to time, so I don't care if it's a couple sets behind. Also, I like story modes.

Andrex said:

You basically just asked what the difference between Nintendo and Konami is.

Any 3DS game would almost definitely use the AR functionality to scan in cards, or at least use QR codes to scan in decks/boosters already owned physically. There's no point otherwise. Maybe you'd be right with regards to a forced story mode, but I have fuck-all interest in buying cards, so a 3DS game that lets me get down to brass tacks and play the card game without spending more then £30 is my idea of a good time. I wouldn't care about it being out-dated- it'd have all Pokemon up to B/W, so I'd be cool.

GBC TGC was outdated when it came out but I sure as hell didn't care.

Andrex said:
I like unlocking cards. >_> It beats buying them.

Eteric Rice

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday. The Pokemon card game got cheap or something. I saw a booster that comes with Charmander, Charmelion, and Charizard for like $5.99. lol

Eteric Rice said:
I went to Wal-Mart yesterday. The Pokemon card game got cheap or something. I saw a booster that comes with Charmander, Charmelion, and Charizard for like $5.99. lol

That sounds kind of expensive actually.

vectorman06 said:
I wonder if you can scan single packs. Gonna get the Snivy starter deck :)

they haven't said anything about boosters yet. hoping they'll add those as well. the B&W boosters don't come out til the 25th so we'll have to wait and see... but if there's codes for boosters, doesn't that take the randomness out of the packs? because the code has to know what cards that were in the pack...unless they generate a code to go with each pack after they're sorted, but right before they're wrapped.. don't know. maybe each card will have a code?

and i think the new cards you unlock actually replace energy cards. not 100% sure about this. will have to check my decks.

Had to start from scratch after the reset, but I had only played 1.5 games anyway (the half is from one that froze). Almost swept the first guy with Croconaw but his Doduo got two lucky flips to use Double Headbutt.

btkadams

so does buying the decks unlock anything in the beta yet? or do we still have to wait until the deck builder comes out. i just see that the 3 black/white decks are locked on tcg for me right now.

btkadams said:
so does buying the decks unlock anything in the beta yet? or do we still have to wait until the deck builder comes out. i just see that the 3 black/white decks are locked on tcg for me right now.
Yes, if you buy the physical decks you get them online as well.

btkadams

ninj4junpei said:
Yes, if you buy the physical decks you get them online as well.
shiiit! so thats the only way to use the black/white decks right now in the online game? i might go to walmart right now...

btkadams said:
shiiit! so thats the only way to use the black/white decks right now in the online game? i might go to walmart right now...
It seems that way. I imagine there will be a way to unlock them just by playing the game, eventually. The mods over there are keeping a tight lip about what the gems are for.

btkadams

i just bought pokemon cards.......

haha. all three decks. FUCK walmart pricing. apparently these cards are way cheaper at hobby shops so if i buy more i'm just going to go there.

tebunker

Banned
anyone know who the developer on the software is?

WOTC publishes the paper game, I would bet they have their hands in the online game, and after looking at the screenshots, the client looks similar to some mock-ups of the upcoming MTGO ver. 3.5 .

I ask all of this because I think this beta may give an idea what the new MTGO client will be based on.

It seems like the play engine is built around what was used for Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Just wondering. No real interest in Pokemon TCG, just the software.

tebunker said:
anyone know who the developer on the software is?

WOTC publishes the paper game, I would bet they have their hands in the online game, and after looking at the screenshots, the client looks similar to some mock-ups of the upcoming MTGO ver. 3.5 .

I ask all of this because I think this beta may give an idea what the new MTGO client will be based on.

It seems like the play engine is built around what was used for Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Just wondering. No real interest in Pokemon TCG, just the software.
Wizards of the Coast no longer has any involvement with the Pokemon Trading Card Game and hasn't for a while. According to Wikipedia, The Pokemon Company took over back in 2003. Though that doesn't necessarily mean they are not helping out with the online component.

btkadams

does the flash game actually run cleanly on anyone's computer? my computer (macbookpro) is pretty fast but it fucking chugs when i play the flash game. i look at activity monitor and it bounces over 100% of cpu usage in chrome or safari.

Proven

btkadams said:
does the flash game actually run cleanly on anyone's computer? my computer (macbookpro) is pretty fast but it fucking chugs when i play the flash game. i look at activity monitor and it bounces over 100% of cpu usage in chrome or safari.

Been using a Windows 7 laptop, and I know that the flash can still sometimes hang, but I've always chalked it up to server side software. I might check my cpu load next time.

Just started, and won the first game. I'm *incredibly* impressed with the presentation. The graphics and sound are top-notch, the user interface is intuitive, and the gameplay is perfect. I've been wanting a sequel to the Game Boy Color Pokemon TCG for years, but if the online in this has no problems, this would be even better, as unlike a console/handheld game, Nintendo will properly support this, and you can actually get in-game cards by buying them in real life.

Speaking of which, I haven't bought any Pokemon cards since the original Base set (which I completed), but when I can build decks and play against other people online in this, being able to transfer my real life cards into the game would totally get me to go out and buy some.

I have a few questions regarding the game itself though, if some kind souls could answer them.

1) Is all progress saved? So if I stop playing, and resume playing tomorrow, all the tokens I've earned, people I've beat, new cards I won, etc, will be there? If so, that turns it from a time-waster to a full-blown game in my eyes.

2) If the game does save progress, when does it save? I'm hesitant to stop playing, for fear that I quit at the wrong time and lose a bunch of stuff.

3) Unlocking new cards replaces old ones, right? But are all the cards I've ever owned recorded, so that when deck-building is implemented, I can choose from cards I used to have in my deck?

Top Bottom