• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Is the PS5 ugly?

Is the PS5 ugly?

• yes, also my beer will slide off.

Votes: 608 57.3%
  • no, i want to get with them curves.

Votes: 454 42.7%

• Total voters

SafeOrAlone

Banned
One of the most annoying things about consumerism is how common it is for people to pretend they like something because they spent money on it. The way they try to convince both you and themselves that what they have is...pretty cool.

It's sickeningly common. And you just know a bunch of the "no" replies here are falling into that trap. It's not a Playstation fan characteristic, it's not a console war thing, it's just what weak-minded people do.

thatJohann

When I first saw it I was into it. The more I see it now, the uglier I think it is. When you add to that the fact that it's HUGE it's really going to be an eye sore.

In contrast, i thought the Series X was ugly when I first saw it, and now I like how clean and simple it is.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Its Futuristugly but maybe it’s time to let go of the rectangle and jump into the realm of bizarre as shit.
I can dig it

duyxbox

Neo Member
I don't understand the definition of ugly / beauty.
Sure it's look pretty cool, of the coolest router I've ever seen, and it's big so wifi connection should be world class.

Jigga117

Hell yeah it’s ugly. Looks better in black but that HUGE nasty looking bitch. . Ugh

still plan to buy it just going to put a bag over the head when I play it.

Drewpee

Banned
Save the white only on release, what do you think of the design?

Personally i am not much for curvey technology designs and i had hoped we were past that after the ps4s.

it wont prevent me from getting one, but i wish they would just made it 90 degree angles with otherwise the same design.

maybe its cultural taste differences, but i have seen mostly negative opinions from north american gamers, does anyone know what the reaction has been to the design by japanese gamers?

1juQVi0.jpg

wyb1Fn8.jpg

The black render does not look too bad but I was not a fan of the real life pictures that recently leaked of the white PS5.

dcx4610

I don't hate it but I don't think it'll age well. it's too futuristic looking and will look dated. Also, I can't stand white consoles. They stand out like a sore thumb in an entertainment center with black components and kill my aesthetic. I will likely double dip and buy the inevitable black one when it becomes available.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
To each their own, but, I definitely don't think it's attractive in any way. The amount of people that were like "OH MY GOD, IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL, SO REVOLUTIONARY" or something similar to that made me wanna roll my eyes out of my head. If you're into it, that's fine, but it's not the second coming, Jesus Christ, lmao.

It looks like a fake tacky looking console you've seen in games or in an Ikea room model.

hyperbertha

It would have been much much worse if the Xbox wasn't god awful looking too. Its duckbeak vs old fashioned refrigerator so all is well.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PS5 looks like a fake console from a network tv show where the kid is playing "monster blaster 5" or some shit

terribad

gypsygib

If it wasn't massive it would probably look kinda cool but it is huge, which to me makes it kinda ugly. But maybe less ugly than were it huge and boxy.

Kamina

Golden Boy
WTF, this isnt an art contest. Its a brick with curved plates stuck on each side. Not ugly and not good.
XSX looks like a garbage bin too.
The last console that looked genuinely good was the PS2.

Arkam

At first blush I had no idea what to feel.... it was different. BUt over the span of a few days of repeatedly looking at it it I started to actually like the aesthetics. Size (and pending air flow need evaluation) however make it a pain for many entertainment centers. Really hope there is a Slim version before too long.

LOLCats

Banned
Nearly 800 votes, is closer than I thought it would be I guess it's not super ugly just the people that think it is are really vocal

Last edited:

tryDEATH

The PS5 is not ugly, it just an acquired taste, much like high-end fashion that is showcased on runways. It doesn't look practical, but there is an appreciation for its uniqueness and creativity. Unfortunately gamers aren't known for their sophisticated taste and decor so it will look out of place in a majority of peoples living room, game rooms, and bedrooms. However, in sleeker environments more minimalist set ups the PS5 with look like a crown jewel compared to the black box Series X.

Its basically a showoff piece for fancier people.

It's fugly, but the imagined black is better, and it will look better lying flat but curiously we've not really seen any decent pics of it in this position.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It really is hideous. Up there among the ugliest consoles ever made. Saying this as someone who has two on preorder and will hide the one I keep deep into a media unit.

But it starts to be tradition that the first iterations of Sony generations are ugly, weird or both.

Consider the PS2. A brick that resembled more a car heater than a console. With a gradient blue stand.

Or PS3. A fat, glossy Foreman grill with chrome Spiderman lettering and extra box below for all the stuff that didn’t fit inside a grill.

And even PS4. Admittedly the most benign first iteration since PS1, but still a weird skewed optical illusion that did your brain in if you saw it from a certain angle.

But PS5 takes this to new unseen heights. A white duck peak with black teeth, with a flimsy looking stand mandatory even in horizontal mode.

I can only assume their design team has some principle of doing a weird statement design to kick off the generation, and then tuning it a notch down for the second revision.

Breakage

It's like the Xbox 360 before the original white Xbox 360. There's just something very early 2000s about it. The design already feels dated.
The PS4 Pro looks like the newer console.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The design is kinda growing on me. However, that say nothing about how it will fit in my current setup.

Man, why do we have to pick a side... I really don't care either way, I just make fun of it because it's so big.

In terms of looks I would put it in the same class as the N64 or some other curvy/eccentric looking console.

I prefer the looks of consoles like the Genesis 1, Super Famicom, PC Engine, Turbo Duo, Sega Saturn, Sega Master System (early US version), Sega Dreamcast, PS2, xbox one S, Game Cube.

I hate the looks of consoles like The Atari Jaguar, NES (US version), SNES (US), Genesis 2, OG PS4, OG Xbox, xbox 360 (any version).

Honestly this time around I don't care too much for either, the series X is more my style in terms of looks, but the PS5 is growing on me... the thing is that I have no reason to get excited for the series X (I have a PC hooked on my TV, thanks), so it's either PS5 or no console... So l'll get re-enforcement for my floor in the room the PS5 will be in and everything will be alright.

Naah, I think it looks good, the size is the problem, it's basically a PC tower so it kinda defeats the purpose of getting a console because they're "more compact".

DeeDogg_

Banned
no just big'but i love all the intricacies of the design and how they really took cooling into account this time. seems like a premium and well designed machine

RayHell

This thread is really personal. As a gamer I really dig this design, It doesn't try to hide itself in the furniture. It's standing out and scream "I'm a gamer".
I have a bunch of old consoles and in retrospective I really like those who look like toys they just look fun. Two tone colorful switch was another great example in that regard.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not only ugly, but with the tear down the system looks even bigger because now you can see the actual unit in someone's hands and side views of the console.

Sony was clever never showing that in promo pics until now. It was always front views or some fancy angle where you'd couldn't tell how big it really is.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

It looks damn cool standing flat on the side . (which is how I will place it)

PS5-console-1.jpg

Not so much from the from though , kinda ugly even

ps5-1-1.jpg

prag16

Banned
It's ugly as sin. The controller too. Going all black would completely fix the controller's looks, and go a long way to making the console palatable. As it stands, I can't put that thing in my living room.

Top Bottom