• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Is the PS5 ugly?

Is the PS5 ugly?

• yes, also my beer will slide off.

Votes: 608 57.3%
  • no, i want to get with them curves.

Votes: 454 42.7%

• Total voters

Yoboman

Gold Member
Im not a huge fan of how it looks standing vertically

But I love how it looks horizontally. I love the curved aesthetic its got and the fact it looks slightly like its floating

5uuED14.jpg

Im not a huge fan of how it looks standing vertically

But I love how it looks horizontally. I love the curved aesthetic its got and the fact it looks slightly like its floating

5uuED14.jpg

Funny, I'm coming around to this myself and I thought the opposite at reveal. Good thing since this is the orientation I'll have it in most likely.

The gloss actually improves its look as well.

plip.plop

Ugly is going too far, admittedly It is a polarizing design for sure. I think the overall size is a bigger issue with people than it's aesthetics.

I wouldn't say it's ugly. It's not a looker either though and it feels kinda disappointing. Might grow on me in the future, but then again looks aren't that important, as you can always hide it in your tv stand (if you can fit it in). I'd say the Xbox SX looks a bit better, but even that one isn't really a great look either. I think Sony and Microsoft did it better this gen compared to what they've shown for next-gen.

I feel like there should've been a few more options in the poll, as I can't vote for either choice.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It looks damn cool standing flat on the side . (which is how I will place it)

PS5-console-1.jpg

Not so much from the from though , kinda ugly even

ps5-1-1.jpg

I mean you should never ever keep your console upright if your using its disc drive, there is an easy to try out a home reason for this, first find a game you dont like and will never play again, now have it placed in the horitizontal positon and jump up and down near the console hard while its loading and see what happens. Now place the console vertically and do the same thing, if your console is an xbox 360 congratulations your disc now looks like this.

hqdefault.jpg

because normally gravity helps aid disc's with staying on the spindal when you have the console on its side you now instead you have it forcing the disc horizontally down, which means if the disc starts to wobble there is no force helping guiding it back into its correct position infact it is more likely to become more slanted due the way gravity is pushing down. A quirk of the 360 was that when a disc became misaligned it would increase the intensity of the laser to try to read the parts of the disc that where now further away, burning the sections that where now closer, thanks Microsoft.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

I mean you should never ever keep your console upright if your using its disc drive, there is an easy to try out a home reason for this, first find a game you dont like and will never play again, now have it placed in the horitizontal positon and jump up and down near the console hard while its loading and see what happens. Now place the console vertically and do the same thing, if your console is an xbox 360 congratulations your disc now looks like this.

hqdefault.jpg

because normally gravity helps aid disc's with staying on the spindal when you have the console on its side you now instead you have it forcing the disc horizontally down, which means if the disc starts to wobble there is no force helping guiding it back into its correct position infact it is more likely to become more slanted due the way gravity is pushing down. A quirk of the 360 was that when a disc became misaligned it would increase the intensity of the laser to try to read the parts of the disc that where now further away, burning the sections that where now closer, thanks Microsoft.

Nay , I've been using PS4 vertically since launch and none of my BluRay discs have this

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People hated the look of the PS2 at first. Give it time.
It doesn’t even matter how it looks, it never mattered. At end of the day we buy these systems to play games, it’s not a fashion accessory.

I generally don't like obviously overly designed things when it comes to design language, so I really don't like the look of the PS5. I'm actually probably going to get the digital one (I missed the pre-order rush) simply because I will have it standing vertically behind the television so I don't have to see it. Yes, I seriously don't like the look of It that much. I guess I will just connect the PS4 if I want to play any of the physical games I have bought over the years. I do the same thing with my other older systems, so that will work.

I'm glad I didn't mount the TV on the wall in the room that it is going to be in.

I’m OBSESSED with this design!!! The PS5 reminds me of them 1990’s futuristic Pics of what we Thought (at the time) a futuristic Console would look like, And Sony had the BALLS to do it!!! 🔥👊🏼🔥

I have a Series X PreOrdered (No PS5), but my lord, that PS5 design is butter baby! NOT understanding those who say it’s Ugly, too me it looks like the future! 🔥👍🔥

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
Its strange, but at least is not this, how in hell they made the stand not detachable
3oYgH7Z.jpg

wmqwDBq.jpg

because everyone looks at his console from the side. Lol.
this is mainly because people are stupid. Very stupid.

just think about it: Someone thinks the PS5 looks so much cooler without the stand so wants to use it without the stand or he simply forgets to put it back on.
what might then happen? Well the console might overheat. This would be really bad PR.
So, better stay safe, because people are super stupid.
and looking at it from the Front, like People usually do, you can’t see it anyways.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Its strange, but at least is not this, how in hell they made the stand not detachable
3oYgH7Z.jpg

wmqwDBq.jpg
No, it's definitely worse. Also who puts it on his side when he has the space to put it vertical? You only put it on the side if you want it in a cabinet, and guess what, then you don't see that part due to the sides of the cabinet.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
On photos by its self it looks sexy.
But in a comfy living room it looks ugly as shit.

Alien vagina.

Last edited:

Xyphie

The disc version is very ugly because of the asymmetry. Discless looks fine but not a fan of the white color, black mockups look much better.

It's pretty damn fugly and contrary to my initial thoughts has not grown on me over time.

I do wonder if it might look better with different side panels that are even with the inner shell, essentially cutting off the hokey "collared" look.

It’s the ugliest console I have ever seen. It‘s hideous. The side view of the console with that massive bulge and the two tone design offends my sensibilities. I have never before looked forward to a slim redesign before the first one came out, until now.

Yeah it's so bad and such a behemoth that it has actually given me second thoughts as to whether I really want one at launch. I may just sell mine and wait for the slim.

AJUMP23

I think it is the ugliest console ever made. When I saw the first picture I didn't believe it originally and just laughed. Text the photo to my friends and they didn't believe it either. Still going to buy one at some point though.

Top Bottom