• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potential JET SET RADIO Remake leak!!!

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
This is cool - but I'm tired of these nobody cunts popping out of the woodwork on Twitter without any hard facts or any meaningful way of backing things up.

Watched the clips in the OP and see nothing JSR related.
Apart from Beat dancing at the end?

Esppiral

Some dirty Photoshop to clean up the watermarks from the laked images.

JET_SET_RADIO_REMAKE_0.png

Last edited:

CGNoire

I never emulated BotW, because I'm scared it would taint the sequel for me after being spoiled with what could be... 😭

as for JSRF, I played it on CXCB Reloaded, but these days I think XEMU is way ahead in terms of compatibility and quality. so maybe it runs perfectly these days, without the small glitches I had.
You could just emulate the sequel too?

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
what's the issue with that guy?
He only focused on Yakuza. (i love the serie that's not the issue)
A lot of weebs on Era were fine with it but that's not the Sega we want...

In many old interviews, he has shown no real interest in reviving arcade classics. Some accused Sega to focus only on story driven sand box like Yakuza. In fact, it was Nagoshi.
Proof ?
8n5D5hT.png

When he left Sega, he announced developing story driven games with Nagoshi studio(look at the logo...it's all about movie style games, he doesn't give a turd about Daytona, Spike Out) and now Sega is bringing more good old franchises like Samba, Cosmic Smash, HOD Scarlet Dawn, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio...

Yakuza was not the problem. Nagoshi was...

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Need to see more, but from screenshot Gum looks terrible :lollipop_weary: .
Her best design is from the first game :

645341.jpg
Oh boy... You'll have the old gum model in the collector edition (like VF1 models in VF5US).
🤪😅
We'll have a new JSR game !!! And according to the jobs offer for the Super Games, Division 4 is involved. And ?
And it's the division led by Kikuchi, the creator of Jet Set Radio...

The quotes were there for a reason. Sorry I offended you, but I think you perfectly got the idea.

It is easy to dismiss everything by stating things such as "Not everything is insert whatever you want here". There were some elements that I shared, I have been following SEGA for more than 30 years as a player and more than 15 as a reviewer of their games. I have my opinion on what is happening in this company, like it or not.

What quotes? Was the "accepted free dinner from the same company for 200 days" quote in reference to Sony? Is that why he was "corrupted" by Sony? So you're saying Nagoshi stifled Sega's business output for a whole year because of free meals? 🤣

You're gonna need way more evidence than that to say he was "corrupted" by any company. By your logic I could say Sega/Atlus are "corrupted" by Microsoft because of the free Game Pass money for Day 1 deals into that service, potentially at the expense of their direct sales on other platforms.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's a very promising art style. Real remake or reboot/overhaul? Like, skate parkour within small intricate areas or gonna try to become sandbox with a huge world missing the nuance of the smaller areas? Both could be good, the former, well, like the original, and the latter like Driver on skates.
Some dirty Photoshop to clean up the watermarks from the laked images.
That looks like AI art gone wrong, what's with their faces and hands?

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
since playing hi fi rush ive been thinking about jet set. i actually just installed it on my handheld

I think the real question is, do these games need a remake? I'd be happy just being able to buy JSRF on Steam, complete with the full original soundtrack. I've been emulating it lately on CXBX-Reload with my original Xbox copy but would gladly buy it on PC if I can have proper widescreen and unlocked framerates. It doesn't even need texture or graphical overhauls, the cell shading style already scales superbly to modern resolutions through emulation.

Bakkus

skill issue
Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV
I'm well above average in video games. JSR and it's sequel are so janky with several mechanics at odds with eachother. The last few levels of the first game are absolutely ridiculous. Who the hell thought they were a good idea...

Last edited:

Banned
I'm well above average in video games. JSR and it's sequel are so janky with several mechanics at odds with eachother. The last few levels of the first game are absolutely ridiculous. Who the hell thought they were a good idea...

literally had zero issues in the first game.

the controls are far from perfect, but given the time it came out it was way above average.

Nautilus

Banned
He only focused on Yakuza. (i love the serie that's not the issue)
A lot of weebs on Era were fine with it but that's not the Sega we want...

In many old interviews, he has shown no real interest in reviving arcade classics. Some accused Sega to focus only on story driven sand box like Yakuza. In fact, it was Nagoshi.
Proof ?
8n5D5hT.png

When he left Sega, he announced developing story driven games with Nagoshi studio(look at the logo...it's all about movie style games, he doesn't give a turd about Daytona, Spike Out) and now Sega is bringing more good old franchises like Samba, Cosmic Smash, HOD Scarlet Dawn, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio...

Yakuza was not the problem. Nagoshi was...
Yeah, that was pretty well known. He was almost exclusively the reason why Yakuza never went to Nintendo systems, as he thought Nintendo systems were "for kids" and that they wouldn't appreciate the games he made.

Bakkus

literally had zero issues in the first game.

the controls are far from perfect, but given the time it came out it was way above average.
Those 10 minute deadline levels at the end were so atrociously designed I couldn't believe my eyes. If you remove those or change them up a ton as well as several other things like giving you way more tools for speeding up and down, especially on those rails (i know you get a little in some spray cans but they are far from sufficent enough), also giving you some leeway in how presice you have to be in order to register the rail-grabbing, improving the combat and those dreadful boss battles by a lot, not making you take forever to get back up to the point you were if you fail some jump. Also get some team with talent in how to make actual good 3D platforming, then you can get a really good game out of this. It certainly had the potential in form of style, graphics and music. Most other parts were sadly less than stellar.

Oh yeah, I forgot those awful tag 5 other members in the sewers (and other places too I think) levels. Utter garbage archaic 3D platform type of designs.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Yeah, that was pretty well known. He was almost exclusively the reason why Yakuza never went to Nintendo systems, as he thought Nintendo systems were "for kids" and that they wouldn't appreciate the games he made.
I respect him for finishing Shenmue 1, respecting the dead lines/preventing Suzuki from throwing new ideas every days and endlessly delaying the game... Suzuki couldn't manage alone such project. Nagoshi was key back then.

For the rest, well, it was time to retire or leave Sega...
Do what you want with your own studio, man, but don't condemn Sega to your closed vision...

Sega is far more than a Yakuza factory.

Last edited:

drganon

What quotes? Was the "accepted free dinner from the same company for 200 days" quote in reference to Sony? Is that why he was "corrupted" by Sony? So you're saying Nagoshi stifled Sega's business output for a whole year because of free meals? 🤣

You're gonna need way more evidence than that to say he was "corrupted" by any company. By your logic I could say Sega/Atlus are "corrupted" by Microsoft because of the free Game Pass money for Day 1 deals into that service, potentially at the expense of their direct sales on other platforms.
I wouldn't bother using logic with him. He's still massively butthurt over the ps1 selling more than the saturn.

nush

He killed the creative side of SEGA, when he was head of SEGA creative control all he evergreen lite was endless sequels to Yakuza at the expense of other teams inside SEGA.
So glad he's gone and we have Ueda-san back at SEGA

All those Sonic games are his fault?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is cool - but I'm tired of these nobody cunts popping out of the woodwork on Twitter without any hard facts or any meaningful way of backing things up.
It can get worse, one of these yahoos could make a UE5 remake of another insidur leaking things to the press :D.

Love Jet Set Radio, have hundreds of hours clocked in each of the multiple versions I own and even replayed it again last December. Getting a new Jet Set Radio has been a dream of mine for years. And it's with that in mind that I say, respectfully, those designs are ass and so is the rendering style. Crisp clean two tone cell shading with thick black outlines. Don't try and gussy it up too much with gradients or other forms of blending, make it look clean and slick. Stay away from realism or even exaggerated realism for facial features and proportions, keep it squarely in the cartoony end of the spectrum. Basically just copy Hi-Fi Rush.

Not a huge fan of the outfits either, they're colorful sure, but feel like they lack that tinge of futuristic flare the originals had.

cireza

By your logic I could say Sega/Atlus are "corrupted" by Microsoft because of the free Game Pass money for Day 1 deals into that service, potentially at the expense of their direct sales on other platforms.
Well yes, why not ? You are free to think what you want. But in the case of Nagoshi we have the whole history of what happened and what didn't while he was in place. I don't care if you disagree, by the way. I am not trying to convince you. I had predicted Yakuza and Altus coming to PC/Xbox years ago. There were already signs of the movement to come.

So you're saying Nagoshi stifled Sega's business output for a whole year
Only for a whole year ? No, its actually much more than that.

Good news is that SEGA fans might be getting better games in the future, if they manage to not turn them into ridiculous cash grab "services".

Last edited:

nush

There is to 3 to 4 yesr gap between each Sonic title, with Yakuza it was barley a year and half. Little wonder the team needed to reuse the same city with each game. Glad to see one back of him myself

This reads like autistic fanboy salt they Sega didn't make the games you wanted them to make. They quite clearly haven't just put out Yakuza games and following the vogue of yearly updates for franchise games is what every big publisher does now because it makes money. We got Sakura wars, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Monkeyball, Streets of Rage 4.

Maybe he should have greenlit Shenmue III.. Oh wait...

lyan

Funny to see how the Western interpretation and translation of this becomes.

The original rumor was brought up when someone asked if Sega is stupid to not release the new Sakura Taisen on PC/Switch and decide it's not selling well enough. And it was actually night/strip clubs not meals which no matter the context is pretty horrendous for one to spend 200 nights there in a year.

Funny to see how the Western interpretation and translation of this becomes.

The original rumor was brought up when someone asked if Sega is stupid to not release the new Sakura Taisen on PC/Switch and decide it's not selling well enough. And it was actually night/strip clubs not meals which no matter the context is pretty horrendous for one to spend 200 nights there in a year.
I was skeptical about Nagoshi taking dinners as bribe, but strip clubs?
iW0yZjc.jpg

Oh, he did that.

This reads like autistic fanboy salt they Sega didn't make the games you wanted them to make. They quite clearly haven't just put out Yakuza games and following the vogue of yearly updates for franchise games is what every big publisher does now because it makes money. We got Sakura wars, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Monkeyball, Streets of Rage 4.

Maybe he should have greenlit Shenmue III.. Oh wait...
Streets of Rage 4 was nothing to with SEGA and we didn't have a new Monkeyball game, just a cheap Uninty remake of the old games that for most didn't play as well as the GameCube classics.

Sakura Wars and VC IV were nice mind, but SEGA needs to more of that and not look milk Yakuza so much and when other developers have their yearly updates to their main IP they have different teams working on it (like for COD, AC) the Yakuza team are expected to make the sequels and also the remakes A sure way to kill creativity

Top Bottom