• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-TGS 2012 SCEJ Press Conference - Sep. 19, Midnight EDT; Sep. 18, 9PM PDT

TDLink

Underwhelming, but then again it was a Japan-focused presentation. They'll be satisfied with anything as long as they can play the latest Hatsune Miku game.

A Japan focused conference that showed none of the Sony Japan Studio games. Miku is already on 3DS, are that many people really going to want it on Vita also?

Snark aside, I doubt they'll pull the plug any earlier than when they report their annual results for the current fiscal year (late April/early May).

If we're not joking around, I doubt they'd pull the plug until a year from now. But that has more to do with the unfathomable matter of Sony, of all companies, making a failing handheld. It blows my mind. It's a little hard to grasp.

Astra

I am slightly concerned about purchasing my Vita this Fall, but fuck it. There's several games as of now I want to play. If we can get some PS2 games on the go, it'll be a justified purchase for me easily.

I am. Showed me some stuff I wanted to see albeit briefly and announced something I've always wanted to play without too many issues. :p

Thus good for me at least.

assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

If we're not joking around, I doubt they'd pull the plug until a year from now. But that has more to do with the unfathomable matter of Sony, of all companies, making a failing handheld. It blows my mind. It's a little hard to grasp.

Assuming Sony absolutely had to stay in the dedicated handheld market - and I think that assumption was a mistake on their part - I think they should have just focused on Japan and on competing as directly with 3DS as possible - similar specs, similar release timeframe, similar price (post-3DS price cut). It'd probably have failed, but I think they'd at least have been better able to compete with Nintendo for Japanese third-party support.

Beth Cyra

I am. Showed me some stuff I wanted to see albeit briefly and announced something I've always wanted to play without too many issues. :p

Thus good for me at least.

I think this is fair, but to say it's agood confrence when they announced nothing but ports and delayed their biggest title is a bit much don't you?

Sony will not discontinue the PSV, PSPGo this is not. With OK sales of Miku and Tits: The game announcement PSV may carve its niche with the otaku crowd. But we can safely assume that we can drop all hope of mass market appeal, unless of course someone comes up with the next Monster Hunter phenomena and decides to develop it exclusively for PSV.

Magnificent gif.

do you guys think that rather than pursuing psp multiplatform title for Vita, Sony is better going after 3ds title to be multiplatform? I mean, 3ds got plenty of games announcement, and I doubt all of them are moneyhatted by Nintendo, so Sony shuold totally go after that. it's no secret that sony have hard time attracting third party studio to develop exclusive to Vita, even the one they had right now probably have some sort of promotion/deal going on.

just like ps360, the era of handheld exclusive should be over imo, unless 2nd screen is really that important, a lot of 3ds title will work just fine on Vita imo.

Sony will not discontinue the PSV, PSPGo this is not. With OK sales of Miku and Tits: The game announcement PSV may carve its niche with the otaku crowd. But we can safely assume that we can drop all hope of mass market appeal, unless of course someone comes up with the next Monster Hunter phenomena and decides to develop it exclusively for PSV.

Magnificent gif.

That's not enough to sustain a system.

Stark

Banned
I think this is fair, but to say it's agood confrence when they announced nothing but ports and delayed their biggest title is a bit much don't you?

I guess you're right. I didn't really have any expectations/predictions when I came into this... so I guess that was a big factor? I'll probably think it is just okay when the bit of excitement from the announcements have died down.

The early years of psp were just like this. 0 games on E3 show floor, journalists wondering why there were no announcements. Developers would get up and talk about the games they were working on that never showed up. Sony acting like nothing was wrong...

I bought a psp right out of the gate. It was reeeeal rough for the first couple of years, but look how awesome psp is now. I say hold on to the vita if you've bought it. I held onto my psp and am glad I did.

But my psp experience is why I am still waiting to get a Vita.

Just read the conference live blog, was hoping there'd be at least ONE big announcement, but nothing at all. I love my Vita and all the games I bought for the system, but the future looks very dark ;(

Even if they manage some decent sales with Soul Sacrifice it'll be too late, third party support will never rise to a sane level.

Beth Cyra

The early years of psp were just like this. 0 games on E3 show floor, journalists wondering why there were no announcements. Developers would get up and talk about the games they were working on that never showed up. Sony acting like nothing was wrong...

I bought a psp right out of the gate. It was reeeeal rough for the first couple of years, but look how awesome psp is now. I say hold on to the vita if you've bought it. I held onto my psp and am glad I did.

We had stuff like Crisis Core announced before PSP even launched.

We had good reason to have faith in PSP even in the rough times, and lets be honest here things like Monster Hunter are very rare and don't happen even on a generational basis.

We have neither the developer promised support nor the likely hodd that something will come and turn this around. This is alot different then even early PSP.

Assuming Sony absolutely had to stay in the dedicated handheld market - and I think that assumption was a mistake on their part - I think they should have just focused on Japan and on competing as directly with 3DS as possible - similar specs, similar release timeframe, similar price (post-3DS price cut). It'd probably have failed, but I think they'd at least have been better able to compete with Nintendo for Japanese third-party support.

Interesting. Honestly, would it have been smarter for Sony to just stick with the PSP? They may have spec-ed themselves out of third party support.

That's not enough to sustain a system.
They continued with the PSP in western markets although it more or less completely vanished. I don't see them discontinuing the PSP's successor so soon.

However I can totally see this being the last dedicated handheld console from Sony.

IrishNinja

honestly, im hoping it ends up just like this - PSP had a fantastic library for me late in its life, and could be had for a song. im starting to think that's what im hoping for here, although a good deal on one before PS0 2 might get me on board.

cntrl+F Versus

walks off.

didn't we know beforehand this was gonna be a no-show?

Chiggs

So once Sony announces the successor to Vita I will re-purchase the Vita. Brilliant piece of strategy, Sony!

Top Bottom