• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pregnant woman ran down a fleeing man 'who stole purse from her car' in Walmart

Is the original criminal also not a victim by the now criminal (original victim) once the committed a crime against them?

If "you shouldn't have done crimes if you didn't want to risk be murdered" is the crux of any discussion, I won't be participating.

Maybe you shouldn't victimize people of you don't want to be victimized back.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
People trying to justify her using the car in this situation, like she did, are fucking crazy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You are making people feel bad for doing something in certain situations, which I think is worse.

Yes, if I' making people feel bad for advocating deadly force against a petty thief, great going me. That' the entire point.

Great job me, keep it up.

Is the original criminal also not a victim by the now criminal (original victim) once the committed a crime against them?

If "you shouldn't have done crimes if you didn't want to risk be murdered" is the crux of any discussion, I won't be participating.
Since we are talking moments after the original crime, I don't see why he should be treated as a victim. It's not like the women waited a few hours, went out looking for him and then ran him over.

But yes, if you don't want to get hurt, don't do crime is pretty much my line.

Yes, if I' making people feel bad for advocating deadly force against a petty thief, great going me. That' the entire point.

Great job me, keep it up.
I am not advocating deadly force, I am explaining why I think it is understandable for someone to act like this in such a situation, and that she should then not go to jail over it. That is something totally different from going: let's shoot everyone ever who steals something.

zeemumu

I'd wager most people would side with her.

Why? You don't have to side with anyone in this case. It's like Saw. I don't agree with being a neglectful workaholic, nor do I agree with putting that neglectful workaholic in a death trap to teach them a lesson.

There's no justification for running him over for a purse.

.JayZii

Banned
Why? You don't have to side with anyone in this case. It's like Saw. I don't agree with being a neglectful workaholic, nor do I agree with putting that neglectful workaholic in a death trap to teach them a lesson.
Only live on the eXtremes, baby!

Max_Po

Banned
For the people defending this mother fucking piece of shit... I FUCKING FEEL SORRY FOR YOU...enjoy your internet ... keyboard warriors...

When I was 8, a fucking scum bag pointed a shot gun at my father and jacked the car... my father grabbed me and gave the car up...This was in Pakistan.

If given the option I would run that mother fucker in a heart beat. I don't care if it is 5 rupees or 5 dollars....

Several hours later, Police got the fucker and we told Police to take full action, he served many years in Prison.

I am sorry, I don't care if the lady had $5 in her purse... I am glad she ran the piece of trash over .... Do you know how many he would have done this too?

Nipo

There's no justification for running him over for a purse.

If you were a hypothetical juror you'd need to decide. You can't vote present you need to either say guilty or not guilty.

zeemumu

Only live on the eXtremes, baby!

Normally it would be, but she did run him over with a car for disproportionate retribution, so it works.

If you were a hypothetical juror you'd need to decide. You can't vote present you need to either say guilty or not guilty.

Not really. He's going to jail for theft and she's going to jail for running someone over for a purse. Not much of a dilemma there.

Ok, some kind of poll would indeed be interesting. But including nationality too.
Americans are generally going to lean more towards the side of the woman in this situation because the American legal system doesn't instill much confidence. Especially if you're a victim. I try to stay away from police as much as possible and I've been sketched out by them as much as I have been around people who are actually supposed to be seen as sketchy. In my interactions with the legal system I've:

- Been harassed and searched for wearing a leather jacket.
- Had cops laugh at me when I went to them for help with someone following and even trying to physically assault one of my friends girlfriends.
- Sat on a jury that had to give a morally wrong sentencing (Or rather lack there of) because of a legal technicality.

There are other minor things, and even a bunch of perfectly reasonable interactions with cops. I've never been arrested, or even threatened with arrest, but I've damn sure been hassled enough times to where I don't fully trust police to do the right thing, or even be competent really. And I'm a straight white dude, which is essentially like winning the lottery here and grts you hassled the least. Even I don't trust the legal system to function as it's supposed to. All of these problems (And more) get progressively worse depending on your race/religion/sex/etc etc.

On top of that there is at least weekly, if not daily coverage about police/courts either being completely incompetent (At best) or woefully corrupt (At worst). Usually with zero repercussions.
I don't think this is true. Hung/deadlocked juries happen all of the time.

Maybe you shouldn't victimize people of you don't want to be victimized back.

In my mind, being hit by a car is equal to 2 cops beating the shit out of a person with their batons.

Which would you rather face? In both cases, the force used is excessive. That's the point. The way she drove that car, she could have very easily hit an innocent bystander, not including her unborn kid. We can't have regular normal untrained everyday citizens taking the law Into their own hands. The thief ran away, dropped the purse so she was in no imminent danger. The danger intensified a thousand times over when she jumped into her car, and proceeded to drive crazily towards another human being running away in fear for his life.

Your moral compass is waaaaay off if you think in that exact situation that their deserved to die or even ran over and live.

She should ah e called the cops in that exact situation. She's not fucking batman.

Tecnniqe

Banned
For the people defending this mother fucking piece of shit... I FUCKING FEEL SORRY FOR YOU...enjoy your internet ... keyboard warriors...

When I was 8, a fucking scum bag pointed a shot gun at my father and jacked the car... my father grabbed me and gave the car up...This was in Pakistan.

If given the option I would run that mother fucker in a heart beat. I don't care if it is 5 rupees or 5 dollars....

Several hours later, Police got the fucker and we told Police to take full action, he served many years in Prison.

I am sorry, I don't care if the lady had $5 in her purse... I am glad she ran the piece of trash over .... Do you know how many he would have done this too?

You situation is very different from this. A life is more valuable than a handbag or purse, and the thief ran away as opposed to your example where he used force.

I hate thief's and people who don't respect others property as much as the next one, but ending someones life over petty dead things, at least for the probable tiny value that was there, is excessive. Not to mention driving across a lot like that is a hazard in and of itself.

adamsapple

huh ?

Ok first, I'm also Pakistani (karachi), good to see another fellow countryman.

Second, your case has a person pointing a gun at your father and stealing from you at gun point, which is an infinitely worse thing than this thief did (BEFORE ANYONE SAYS IT, NOT FUCKING DEFENDING THE THIEF'S ACTIONS).

Third, glad your father did the smart thing, being a pakistani you should know first hand how many people get shot by thieves on bikes just because they resist giving up their cell phones or wallets

Fourth, your father also did not pursue after the thief with intent to harm them, he called the police and the police did their work (which is surprising for Pakistan :p) and the culprit in that case is now rotting away in jail, which is the correct course of action. Not vigilante justice.

Finally there's nothing in this person's prior records to indicate he has ever ran anyone over or has blood on his ledger, i'm sure it would have been brought up a million times in any of the news sites reporting this by now.

Relax friend, take a few deep breaths and thank your father for not being reckless otherwise you may not have been here today to post this.

Yo Sharia law in this bitch ... the way some people on here are like end someone's life that steals a bloody purse that he dropped before she pursued him is insane. Does gaf think we should amputate people's hands that are caught stealing ?

Nipo

I don't think this is true. Hung/deadlocked juries happen all of the time.

A hung jury is when the group of 12 can't reach a unanimous decision (which judging by this thread is what would happen here). It doesn't mean a single person on the jury can't make up their mind.

Trojita

Shopkeeper runs their own store. Thief comes in and takes a bag of chips and goes to run out. Shopkeeper throws the knife at the thieves head.

Would you agree with the shopkeeper here? There is virtually no difference between the two situations. It can be reasonably assumed that driving the car at that speed and her own statements that a weapon was being used with the ability to cause great harm and death.

1. There was absolutely nothing described in the article or by her own statements that she felt she was in danger. There is nothing in the article stating that the thief tried to attack or confront her.
2. He dropped the purpose long before she shit him.
3. She's pregnant, which has fuck all to do with this since protecting the fetus and integrity of your body. Don't expect a "hormones" excuse to have any validity in this case.
4. Her statement specifically mentions she "didn't want him to get away with doing this to her". If you are going to escalate a situation just to get back at someone, expect consequences for your actions.

yes, this is obvious to everyone who's not actually crazy

got any #'s on that one, punisher

On mobile so can't really get exact numbers bust just Google London scooter/motorcycle crime. Something like this but less vague.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-general-news/scooter-crime-rise-london

Crime is crime either way though stolen or not I just hate the stolen ones more personally.

And I think the punisher would actually do something rather than bitch about it on an internet forum.

In my mind, being hit by a car is equal to 2 cops beating the shit out of a person with their batons.

Which would you rather face? In both cases, the force used is excessive. That's the point. The way she drove that car, she could have very easily hit an innocent bystander, not including her unborn kid. We can't have regular normal untrained everyday citizens taking the law Into their own hands. The thief ran away, dropped the purse so she was in no imminent danger. The danger intensified a thousand times over when she jumped into her car, and proceeded to drive crazily towards another human being running away in fear for his life.

Your moral compass is waaaaay off if you think in that exact situation that their deserved to die or even ran over and live.

She should ah e called the cops in that exact situation. She's not fucking batman.

People rightfully have higher standards for the police compared to some random woman.

And I never said he deserved to die, just that he had it coming.

Damn, that was some impressive footage. Landscape, right on target, and doesn't move the camera down to the ground right when she runs him down.

arya's prayer

Neo Member
I actually defended someone earlier this year with an almost identical fact pattern. Man and woman get into a bar argument and it escalates outside. He throws a bottle at her. She walks away and gets in her car and hits him. Ended up pleading her to an aggravated assault. She was billed as an agg battery. Realistically, the woman in this case should be billed for that too. Potentially agg 2nd degree if his injuries were bad enough. I had to WORK to get it down to the misdemeanor.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is what she got arrested/issued a summons on. That's not necessarily what the da will charge her with, although very likely.

Also, anyone stupid enough to think that what she did was justified and would do something similar: be seeing you in my office soon...

Yo Sharia law in this bitch ... the way some people on here are like end someone's life that steals a bloody purse that he dropped before she pursued him is insane. Does gaf think we should amputate people's hands that are caught stealing ?
Cutting hands of as punishment is a totally different thing then hurting someone in the heat of the moment when you have just been the victim of a crime.

A hung jury is when the group of 12 can't reach a unanimous decision (which judging by this thread is what would happen here). It doesn't mean a single person on the jury can't make up their mind.
Wouldnt a single person on the jury not making up their mind result in a dead locked jury if a unanimous decision was needed to convict?

Mailbox

The amount of people somehow thinking attempted murder/ vehicular assault in response to petty theft is somehow okay is both terrifying and disheartening.

The woman was a victim when her stuff was stolen, and became a criminal the moment she tried to run him over. There isn't much more to it than that.

Trojita

Okay, so I looked at the facebook page linked in the article. First thought was "Yeah, she about looks like a caricature of a person I'd think would support the woman".

But then I noticed all of the creepy baby pictures. Even her friends list had creepy baby pictures. Then I realized that they are dolls these people make.

giphy.gif

adamsapple

Okay, so I looked at the facebook page linked in the article. First thought was "Yeah, she about looks like a caricature of a person I'd think would support the woman".

But then I noticed all of the creepy baby pictures. Even her friends list had creepy baby pictures. Then I realized that they are dolls these people make.

giphy.gif

Creepy dolls is where GAF draws the line :p

giphy.gif

That is pretty fucking gross, maybe she should be locked up.

She also voted against trump tho so ehhhhhhh. I'm mixed. Don't think the Democratic party could afford to lose her.

Or course it was excessive. My first post said her method was incredibly stupid and could hurt her her unborn child innocent standerbys and other innocent vehicles.

And could have seriously injured or killed the thief, which would have been excessive and undeserved even though the was totally and obviously guilty. That's all anyone is trying to get you to acknowledge. Some sense of proportion.

And could have seriously injured or killed the thief, which would have been excessive and undeserved even though the was totally and obviously guilty. That's all anyone is trying to get you to acknowledge. Some sense of proportion.

That's the risk you take when you rob someone.

Its like that katana guy vs those home invaders, no one deserves to be sliced and diced like that but that's the risk they took.

Hell my dad gave me a sword when I moved out for home invaders too keep under my bed. That's too paranoid for my blood tho I stashed it in some closet years ago. I don't think I could stomach that shit.

That's the risk you take when you rob someone.

Its like that katana guy vs those home invaders, no one deserves to be sliced and diced like that but that's the risk they took.

Hell my dad gave me a sword when I moved out for home invaders too keep under my bed. That's too paranoid for my blood tho I stashed it in some closet years ago. I don't think I could stomach that shit.

Yes, you do risk that some crazy person will overreact. But we're talking about a proportional response. I'm trying to get you to acknowledge that running someone over with a car for stealing a purse is not a proportional response and thus logically and morally incorrect.

IrishNinja

And I think the punisher would actually do something rather than bitch about it on an internet forum.

And I never said he deserved to die, just that he had it coming.

everyone's gotta start somewhere

That is pretty fucking gross, maybe she should be locked up.

She also voted against trump tho so ehhhhhhh. I'm mixed. Don't think the Democratic party could afford to lose her.

shame, if she were GOP she could run for office now

dlauv

I don't think running down someone in the heat of the moment and in pursuit of someone who has taken your property is the same proportional response as methodically holding someone down and sawing off their ear or hand. The latter is judicially sanctioned torture and the former is a crime of passion.

Being a crime of passion, do I think she should get some kind of repercussion? Sure, but she was the victim of a predatory crime. And he didn't die. She lucked out, but she shouldn't get the book thrown at her for every hypothetical "what could have happened...!" Or maybe she should and get acquitted anyway, as a kind of warning.

adamsapple

I don't think running down someone in the heat of the moment and in pursuit of someone who has taken your property is the same proportional response as methodically holding someone down and sawing off their ear or hand. The latter is judicially sanctioned torture and the former is a crime of passion.

Being a crime of passion, do I think she should get some kind of repercussion? Sure, but she was the victim of a predatory crime. And he didn't die. She lucked out, but she shouldn't get the book thrown at her for every hypothetical "what could have happened...!"

If our definitions of what a predatory crime are the same, then no .. no such thing happened here. The guy even dropped the purse she thought he was rummaging before running.

Again. Not.Defending.The.Thief's.Actions

dlauv

If our definitions of what a predatory crime are the same, then no .. no such thing happened here. The guy even dropped the purse she thought he was rummaging before running.

Again. Not.Defending.The.Thief's.Actions

Sorry, not a law major. Beyond "Crime of Passion," I didn't realize Predatory Crime was actually a thing; I was using practical English and what predatory actually means.

Edit: For anyone who doesn't understand, Predatory Crime -- in relation to theft or burglary -- only applies when the target isn't random.

adamsapple

Sorry, not a law major. Beyond "Crime of Passion," I didn't realize predatory crime was actually a thing; I was using practical English and what predatory actually means.

Oh, no law major here either but just the term "predatory crime" implies the crime involves the guy attempting physical harm/purposeful stalking and planning.

The guy was rummaging through her SUV while the woman was in walmart, she came out, noticed the guy, the guy dropped the purse he was rummaging through and ran. The woman first attempted to give chase on foot but being pregnant she obviously couldn't, so she walks back to the car, puts it in gear and purposefully chased the guy through a parking lot risking herself, her unborn child and any bystander who could have been in the way and only stopped after she struck the guy. Miracle the guy didn't get crushed by the car.

Both parties are at fault but I personally believe the woman's actions were far worse.

Can we all agree all thieves deserve to have their asses handed to them?

Yes. I agree.

Cyframe

What if an 8-year-old was in a busy Walmart parking lot? The woman was out of control. And other people could have been hurt. If he was pointing a gun at her and she ran him over, I would say she would be justified, but that's not what happened in this case. I can't begin to understand the type of experience you've had but if you run someone over with excessive force be ready to pay the price for that.

In most cases, vigilante justice doesn't end well and marginalized groups are often victims from overzealous citizens. Renisha Mcbride is a person who comes to mind first. She had a car accident and knocked on someone's door and she killed and the guy was convicted of second-degree murder. He opened up his screen door and shot her. He wasn't in immediate danger and had plenty of time to call the police.

I barely trust the police to uphold justice, let alone citizens. This sets a bad precedence and she deserves what she gets in criminal and civil court.

No one is defending this thief but this thread a lot longer than it should be.

Top Bottom