• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pregnant woman ran down a fleeing man 'who stole purse from her car' in Walmart

Budi

You guys should probably try looking up what that word means to. Instead of throwing it around like 4 channers do autist.
Weak sense of conscience, poor understanding of right and wrong and lack of empathy. You don't think that sounds like you? To the outside it does.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
5376 out of an estimated 70000 pedestrians struck by vehicles died in 2015. That's not quite "they tend to die". Especially in this situation at slow speed in a parking lot.

http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/factsheet_crash.cfm

are you fuckin blind bro ? does this seem like slow speed to you ?

2sGCtUB.gif

I think the more constructive discourse at this point is trying to figure out how things ought to work in a society that doesn't want to promote desperate, dangerous attempts to recover ones property like this.

I feel like compensating a victim for lost property is reasonable. While it would obviously be open to abuse, fraud is a crime with its own set of punishments. I think the vast majority of people on both sides of this debate would prefer a system that disincentivizes violent protection of one's property by mitigating the damage that loss might cause the victim. Would that be workable? Is this something that's done in other countries?

The thing is we already have mechanisms in place. Several forms of insurance, from home to auto comprehensive policies, cover theft from automobiles. The second part is we have laws that specify when you are able to use lethal force. There's really not much ground to cover here.

The thing is we already have mechanisms in place. Several forms of insurance, from home to auto comprehensive policies, cover theft from automobiles. The second part is we have laws that specify when you are able to use lethal force. There's really not much ground to cover here.

Except then you get fucked over your premium increasing your renewals being shit and your deductible as and all that other shit and not to mention the effort and time.

You're punished for being a victim.

Nipo

Did an informal poll of coworkers and 8 supported the lady and only 1 said what she did was wrong. It would be really interesting to see a poll cut by age/profession/gender etc to se who supports her actions.

E92 M3

Did an informal poll of coworkers and 8 supported the lady and only 1 said what she did was wrong. It would be really interesting to see a poll cut by age/profession/gender etc to se who supports her actions.

I'd wager most people would side with her.

prag16

Banned

I did the same among my group at work and the vote was 5 to 1 in favor of the woman (sent them all the article; I didn't bias the results with my own commentary).

Dynomutt

This situation has some grey area. And is because of the circumstance.

Both people are wrong.

He dropped the purse it could have stopped at that.

She already chased him down and could have ended it there.

She did not have to run him over...

Could have called the cops.

I know how I would react. I have no time would even think to run someone over. But you've earned at least a lump or two. Outside of being some kid just being a punk or a female I'll try to restrain them for the cops.

I see a unknown dude rummaging in my car and you have no apparent weapon or gun you deserve at least a chin check or I'm kicking the door in on your legs. If you drop I'll ease up we can call the cops. If not I guess were clapping.

Call it a bad habit or position to take but If I can and come away with some nicks bruises, and, cuts fuck being a victim. I'm smashing on you.

Edit: What if she tased or maced him would that have been okay?

StayDead

This woman should be in jail/should go to jail.

Just because your handbag is stolen doesn't mean you have the right to run someone down and nearly kill them in your car.

Weak sense of conscience, poor understanding of right and wrong and lack of empathy. You don't think that sounds like you? To the outside it does.

Sure it does buddy, anyone not on the thief's side is a sociopath.

You need to spend some time outside of your little bubble.

Budi

Are you from the US? I actually was talking with coworkers about this today too. Nobody said that driving over the thief was justified. Some people were even laughing if the question is serious. I'm from Finland.

.JayZii

Banned
Attempting to run over someone who just stole from you is a bit of a grey area though.

A bit a misdemeanor you could say.
I'm just stating what I think clearly so that people stop trying the "you're taking the thief's side over a pregnant woman" argument.

If someone stole my wallet, I'm not running him down with my car.

I just can't relate to these people on her side. Maybe because I'm not psychotic?
Ever had a situation where people stole from you, threatened you, pushed you, or some other minor form of crime? It sucks. And if you act like some people in this thread tell you (just don't do anything, let them get away because it's not worth it, just call the police) it makes you feel powerless that you should allow people to just walk over you like that.

E92 M3

I just can't relate to these people on her side. Maybe because I'm not psychotic?

You can't diagnose someone as a psychopath without proper analysis. An angered pregnant woman chasing down a thief is not someone that would be classified as a psychopath.

rhandino

Banned

She is pregnant tho, While I will never do what she did (here it's VERY likely that the thief has a gun with him) I can understand at least how this kind of stress could have lead her to do what she did.

Budi

Sure it does buddy, anyone not on the thief's side is a sociopath.

You need to spend some time outside of your little bubble.
I was talking about you. Not about anyone. You have said much more than not being on the thief's side. I'm not on the thief's side either, he did wrong and he should be punished for it. But the lady is a looney. Speeding up with a car to hit someone who tried to steal her purse. I'm not gonna take sides when they are both wrong.

Nipo

Are you from the US? I actually was talking with coworkers about this today too. Nobody said that driving over the thief was justified. Some people were even laughing if the question is serious. I'm from Finland.

Yes in the US. The most callous of the group were upset she didn't kill him the majority just chalked it up to "people will do whatever is in their power to defend those they love and what is theirs"

She is pregnant tho, While I will never do what she did (here it's VERY likely that the thief has a gun with him) I can understand at least how this kind of stress could have lead her to do what she did.
It's a very stressful situation to be in and she's pregnant on top of it. I'll never be in that type of situation to know how I'll react. I don't see myself running into someone, but still I'll never be in that position.

I'm surprised with a baby in her she went that far lol. I'd probably be like "ah forget it".

JP_

Banned

Are you saying her pregnancy made her hysterical or something? Because being pregnant should probably motivate her to get to safety and away from the criminal, not aggressively crash her car into him.

Kthulhu

Ever had a situation where people stole from you, threatened you, pushed you, or some other minor form of crime? It sucks. And if you act like some people in this thread tell you (just don't do anything, let them get away because it's not worth it, just call the police) it makes you feel powerless that you should allow people to just walk over you like that.

Okay? That doesn't justify running someone over.

Budi

Yes in the US. The most callous of the group were upset she didn't kill him the majority just chalked it up to "people will do whatever is in their power to defend those they love and what is theirs"
Ok, some kind of poll would indeed be interesting. But including nationality too.

Budi

What if you chase them down on foot? Ordering debits cards sucks.
Yeah chasing the thief down and apprehending him is another thing. Though if you would stop him by stabbing him in the back, it would once again be excessive. Mace would be fine though.

adamsapple

Stop making things up, there is no threatening or pushing going on here.

If you think running down someone with a car just because you may or may not have felt threatened makes you feel EMPOWERED then you're a part of what's wrong with society today.

Okay? That doesn't justify running someone over.
Might be, but it makes me certainly understand why people want to do something instead of just sitting there and take it like others in this thread want the victim to do.

Stop making things up, there is no threatening or pushing going on here. If you think running down someone with a car just because you felt threatened makes you feel EMPOWERED then you're a part of what's wrong with society today.
You are turning this around very strangely. I am saying that it makes people feel powerless and a victim when you are telling them to not do anything back if they are the victim of a (minor) crime. You then turn it around as if I am advocating for beating people up to feel powerful. The two are very different.

cwmartin

Might be, but it makes me certainly understand why people want to do something instead of just sitting there and take it like others in this thread want the victim to do.

You are turning this around very strangely. I am saying that it makes people feel powerless and a victim when you are telling them to not do anything back if they are the victim of a (minor) crime. You then turn it around as if I am advocating for beating people up to feel powerful. The two are very different.

So, to recap. People feel like victims when they are victims of crimes. Check. Anything else to add to this topic of attempted murder?

Edit: What if she tased or maced him would that have been okay?

Pretty sure tasers and mace don't have the potential of lethality so sure, go for it in that situation.

It's the fact that she used a potential lethal weapon to chase after a guy who was already running away and did not even have anything of hers anymore and then hit him with it.

It's one thing to punch a guy in defense, it's another to chase after him with a baseball bat after he's given up and beat the shit out of him, then hope he doesn't die.

adamsapple

That's practically what you're saying. You're combining two completely different narratives. You're saying not doing anything makes people feel powerless. Pray tell, what else do you mean when you highlight that ? Is it not that it's better to be confrontational than 'powerless' ?

If you're a pregnant woman specifically, acting like this woman did is completely reckless and stupid if not for her, then for her unborn child. Sometimes it's better to stay on the side lines than act out and put everyone, including yourself, in danger. You're trying to make people feel 'bad' for being powerless in certain situations, don't do that please.

So, to recap. People feel like victims when they are victims of crimes. Check. Anything else to add to this topic of attempted murder?
They are made to feel more of a victim by the people telling them they are wrong for doing anything back. And I think that is a stupid thing to do. It seems people are more concerned for the criminal then the victim.

That's practically what you're saying. You're combining two completely different narratives. You're saying not doing anything makes people feel powerless. Pray tell, what else do you mean when you highlight that ? Is it not that it's better to be confrontational than 'powerless' ?

If you're a pregnant woman specifically, acting like this woman did is completely reckless and stupid if not for her, then for her unborn child. Sometimes it's better to stay on the side lines than act out and put everyone, including yourself, in danger. You're trying to make people feel 'bad' for being powerless in certain situations, don't do that please.
I am saying that it is understandable that someone wants to do something when being the victim of a crime, because otherwise they would feel even more of a victim for doing nothing.

You are making people feel bad for doing something in certain situations, which I think is worse.

This honestly might be the most surprising debate thread I've ever seen on here.

Downright scary.

Stealing REPLACEABLE property does not mean you have the right to kill. That lady should be in jail. What is the fuckin Middle Ages? Let's just start cutting off the hands of all theives, we will even let them choose which hand. Or make it a game show where the audience chooses. Let's get creative!

Esqueleto

Banned
They are made to feel more of a victim by the people telling them they are wrong for doing anything back. And I think that is a stupid thing to do. It seems people are more concerned for the criminal then the victim.
By doing what she did she put others at risk too. Her baby, and other pedestrians.

cwmartin

Is the original criminal also not a victim by the now criminal (original victim) once the committed a crime against them?

If "you shouldn't have done crimes if you didn't want to risk be murdered" is the crux of any discussion, I won't be participating.

Downright scary.

Stealing REPLACEABLE property does not mean you have the right to kill. That lady should be in jail. What is the fuckin Middle Ages? Let's just start cutting off the hands of all theives, we will even let them choose which hand. Or make it a game show where the audience chooses. Let's get creative!

I'd be down for a Running Man scenario.

.JayZii

Banned
The funny thing is that they've both got a foot in each pond. It's okay to say the woman shouldn't have tried to run a man over while still thinking the thief is a shitty person for stealing her purse.

Top Bottom