• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So why is this movie woke?

They are at pains to show that this is a weaker, dumber Predator.
They have it pretty badly injured by others like her brother before the end fight. She doesn't best it in physical combat, and has to use her wits with the targeting helmet to kill it.

If they'd had her coming up against OG Predator and win, then yeah... woke as shit. But that's not what happens. Did you actually watch the movie properly?

RedFlakyIberianlynx-size_restricted.gif

shutterstock_editorial_13048510cp-1659044392.jpg

Enjoy your 2022 action movies folks. They're good...wink.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Do you actually watch the movie? How the predator was killed? Cos seems like you dont. It can be done by anyone, doesnt need militarymen to do that

You seems stuck on your own stupidity

You used to be a good poster really sad on your continuous downhill on this ugly path my man

Last edited:
This film would be better if the movie didn't have to drill into the audiences head that the Predator is her trial after she failed. Keep it lowkey god damn. Movie lacks wonder and a lot of the earlier action sequences aren't thrilling. But tone, narrative and acting were good and the final two fight scenes were REALLY good.

Pretty much is A24 Predator. It's a slower movie for the first half.

Can't say it's amazing but fuck me the bar was so low after The Predator and it jumped over that without even trying.

Toons

I legitimately csnt tell if you're even being serious or playing a caricature of what you think you're making fun of but you're not doing a great job at either.

Just reading this thread, if this is how some of yall actively discuss entertainment, arguing what arbitrary level of "wokeness" it achieves i can see why some are so miserable and cynical. Just reading this thread alone and seeing "woke", a term with no consistent meaning or objective qualifier, used literally every 5 words makes me want to jump off a cliff and end it all.

I can't imagine going into every film, tv show, video game, book, etc thinking like this.

Why aren't we discussing the themes? Why aren't we discussing the shot composition or the one take action sequence which was awesome? Or the more bits? Or the very cool callback line her brother says?

Its just sad. This was a solid movie and there's a lot to talk about regarding it but we csnt even get past square one because of this garbage culture war brain rot.

That guy who said Ripley wouldn't be accepted today is 100% right. We'd not even be able to talk about alien today, because every other person would be arguing about how woke it was that only the waminz is able to survive the movie. Nothing about its themes or its lore, just "how woke is it tho?????"

I truly hope we can get to a point where all of this BS has metastasized and we can actualy start watching movies and talking about them again.

Also, as an aside, Amber Midthunder is hot af, and I'd much rather her save my ass than Arnie any day.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Ellen Ripley, a skinny woman with zero military training, invades the hive of deadly xenomorph killing machines to rescue her surrogate daughter, fending off and killing multiple acid spitting monsters, using the same equipment that several well trained male space marines couldn’t use to save themselves from those monsters earlier in the film.

You’ve got issues dude.

Which I’m now leaving you with, to go watch Sandman 👍

Last edited:

Toons

My man, the whole point of The Predator is that strength doesn't win. He cuts through the OGs like butter when they try and fight him. Arnold doesn't beat him with strength either so it kinda doesn't matter what the protagonists looks like.

How this managed to go over the heads of so many meat heads for gd near 40 years astounds me.

It was never about strength or how good your guns are. Predator has better weapons, hes stronger, and faster. Every time. To win against the predator you have to outsmart it and adapt quicker than it does.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Why aren't we discussing the themes? Why aren't we discussing the shot composition or the one take action sequence which was awesome? Or the more bits? Or the very cool callback line her brother says?

Well, the themes are pretty overt. Not sure there's much to discuss. Men keep women down. Men are mean. White men are slaver capitalists who rape nature.

Do you want to talk about those themes? I mean, they're not exactly original ideas in 2022, but go ahead and expound if you want.

I don't talk about shot composition, the one shot action scene, or the more bits because I'm either not interested in those things are wasn't impressed by them here.

If you want to discuss those, I won't step on your toes and conversation police you.

March Climber

Gold Member
Just reading this thread, if this is how some of yall actively discuss entertainment, arguing what arbitrary level of "wokeness" it achieves i can see why some are so miserable and cynical. Just reading this thread alone and seeing "woke", a term with no consistent meaning or objective qualifier, used literally every 5 words makes me want to jump off a cliff and end it all.

I can't imagine going into every film, tv show, video game, book, etc thinking like this.

Its just sad. This was a solid movie and there's a lot to talk about regarding it but we csnt even get past square one because of this garbage culture war brain rot.
Because the people who want to have a genuine discussion and don't care about woke vs non-woke culture have to tread very carefully so that we don't step on a landmine and trigger those who do actually care. I wish things were as easy as what you're asking for. The fact that it needs to be pointed out when non-wokeness keeps happening, is because you have people on this site scouring newer movies and looking at every pixel for a tiny hint of wokeness, just so they can jump out of a window to scream "I told you so" at everyone. The movie itself then is brushed aside for dumb arguments where we have to prove if something is or isn't woke. I also agree that it's brain rot and it's annoying.

I truly hope we can get to a point where all of this BS has metastasized and we can actualy start watching movies and talking about them again.
Same.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Ripley basically just run from the Alien the entire time and yells at everyone who is stupid enough to stick around and fight? Then at the end, when she has access to the mech, she decides it's worth taking the thing out?

She runs away from the aliens for the length of almost two entire movies (and again in Alien 3).

In the original movie, the audience thinks Tom Skerritt is the protagonist. Ripley's painted as an asshole when she refuses to let the explorers back in the ship. I don't think she would be controversial today - the surprise emergence as the protagonist and her actually being right all along make the character fun.

By the time she descends to the hive, she's been through a solid hero's journey. Even Aliens alone does a good job of developing her character to that stage through a series of escalating decisions (join the team, descend to the surface, drive the vehicle, get over the fear of androids, deal with the facehugger etc).

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My man, the whole point of The Predator is that strength doesn't win. He cuts through the OGs like butter when they try and fight him. Arnold doesn't beat him with strength either so it kinda doesn't matter what the protagonists look like.

Well, make sure you tell the producers of Prey because the unathletic high school girl sure beats the crap out of special needs Space Tank using her bare hands and a melee weapon.

Last edited:

Toons

Well, the themes are pretty overt. Not sure there's much to discuss. Men keep women down. Men are mean. White men are slaver capitalists who rape nature.

Oh come off it. She loved her brother dearly and he believed in her the whole way. Hes pretty much the only other character with any significant scene time in this movie and hes portrayed heroically.

As for the white men colonizers being savages? I mean, uh yeah, they kinda fricking were at the time. thats not a theme; that's history.

but even then, one of them was willing to help the girl. So your insecure ramblings still don't hold up.
Do you want to talk about those themes? I mean, they're not exactly original ideas in 2022, but go ahead and expound if you want.

I don't talk about shot composition, the one shot action scene, or the more bits because I'm either not interested in those things are wasn't impressed by them here.

If you want to discuss those, I won't step on your toes and conversation police you.

So you admit you're just here to bitch. Got it. I'll leave you to your delusions.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I'm sorry this extremely competent movie bruised your fragile ego.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I thought the bear fight was pretty epic. I wanted to see a predator vs dinosaurs after that 😂 Jurassic world VS Predator

Yeah, the trailer does a great disservice to it making it look like the Predator just swoops in and kills it.

The fight is short, but brutal. The Predator in general is pretty good in this. The guy he kills in the field when running after Naru (the scene from the trailer) is so quick and vicious.

So good.

H4ze

Just finished it. It's a good movie, second best to the first one. Whoever thinks the film is woke is a moron, ngl.

Some scenes were outright awesome and had a lot of impact.

INC

Gold Member
Film as a whole is alright 6.5/10

But the predator redesign is utterly dog shit

Face looks awful and like a jeepers creepers rip off, it doesn't even have dreadlocks, the way it walks looks stupid, all hunched over. Plus when it all.kicks off the predator stops hunting, and just walk towards everyone all the time.

There's some aspects that were cool, like how it was scanning and hunting other creatures, the weapons it had were cool

If I had to rank it in order

Predator
Predator 2
Predators
Prey
Rest of the shit

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Film as a whole is alright 6.5/10

But the predator redesign is utterly dog shit

Face looks awful and like a jeepers creepers rip off, it doesn't even have dreadlocks, the way it walks looks stupid, all hunched over. Plus when it all.kicks off the predator stops hunting, and just walk towards everyone all the time.

There's some aspects that were cool, like how it was scanning and hunting other creatures, the weapons it had were cool

My one big criticism of the film is the alterations they made to the Predator to allow the story to happen. They were obviously going for a ‘this is a more feral, less technological, less clever predator, because it’s 300 years ago’ feel… but that doesn’t really work when you still have the damn thing turn up on a spaceship, just like his predecessors, and still equip him with half of the other Pred’s weapons anyway.

Thats the problem when you weaken the Predator’s opponents. You have to weaken the predator too, otherwise none of it works.

OG Pred would have butchered everyone carrying a weapon in this film in seconds.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Watching it tonight, I have heard stuff about the woke stuff.
Nothing major just your usual mary sue but the Pred stuff is said to be fantastic.
Will decide if it ruins the film or not...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Was pretty good just saw it, but wasn't too hot on design of the predator, for some reason that helmet style made him look Gears-sy. Also the animation of the bear sucked, which took me out of the scene. But overall pretty good and something else for a change.

VN1X

Banned

Jesus Christ dude you're going to need to try better than that.

I bet you use "wahmen" unironically as well.

EDIT: it appears you've already left so good on you and...

Halloween GIF

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Just watched it. Some wonky acting but indeed the best entry since 1&2, a nice surprise.

A gimped Predator? Interesting different take kinda more analog less sci-fi edition, very melee and none of that super OP plasma cannon for pussies.

The end climax fight was a bit silly (when she broke his tooth off like WTF and that super convenient mask placement, come on...) but that's ok, worked for me overall.

Also, love all the micropenis energy in the thread, had a good laugh.

7.5/10. Recommended.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
Hmmm just watched this. Special effects were overall disappointing. Story was kind of lame.

Some of the locations and scenery are beautiful however.

But overall a fairly tepid watch once and forget about it movie. 5/10.

Toons

No but the mud is used to out smart the predator yet again, how inventive Hollywood

The way she trapped him was pretty inventive. What did you think she was going to do?

Look i dont need then to reinventthe wheel or anything. They are in a gd forest lol. Use what you have. The sinkhole was a perfectly fine way to trap him and it plays into how she had to learn from her own mistakes in order to get the win.

For anyone who wants a laugh check out some of the imdb low star reviews. It is plainly obvious when someone hasn't actually watched the movie and is peddling the same argument points. One guy said "the predators technology is super advanced theres no way the native weapons would beat it"

Yeah guy. Thats why the native weapons don't beat it lmfao.

INC

Gold Member
The way she trapped him was pretty inventive. What did you think she was going to do?

Look i dont need then to reinventthe wheel or anything. They are in a gd forest lol. Use what you have. The sinkhole was a perfectly fine way to trap him and it plays into how she had to learn from her own mistakes in order to get the win.

For anyone who wants a laugh check out some of the imdb low star reviews. It is plainly obvious when someone hasn't actually watched the movie and is peddling the same argument points. One guy said "the predators technology is super advanced theres no way the native weapons would beat it"

Yeah guy. Thats why the native weapons don't beat it lmfao.

Good job she had a special flower 🌼

Top Bottom