• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia did something so simple but not even Souls game get it right.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Almost two decades ago prince of persia the sands of time was released, a few games after that wanted to run on walls and use the time mechanic, but I don't remember another action game doing this.

this is simple yet one of the most important things on POP's gameplay... you can defend yourself while lying on the ground.

POP-2022-05-04-11-44-35-715.png

POP-2022-05-04-11-44-42-950.png

POP-2022-05-04-11-44-47-082.png

Not even Assassin's Creed does it, the "evolution" of Prince of Persia. C'mon Miyazaki, let me defend myself.

jaysius

Banned
It would be nice if it were included in a game with a robust combat system like Elden Ring, BUT if they took the time to incorporate it, they'd have to make it a key part of gameplay.

Nobody wants a game where you're constantly falling down just so the dev team can justify putting that mechanic in.

I agree though Assassin's Creed could use this mechanic, the combat is so fucking dull anything at all could help it.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Prince of Persia and Soulsborne don't have identical gameplay?

RADICAL

I've got one that will blow your TITS off, though. Ready?

Master Chief isn't in Mario games.
souls is an action game and I'm talking about every action game after POP, since Souls games are supposedly the best action games ever I have to mention how not even them do it right. don't cry.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
souls is an action game and I'm talking about every action game after POP, since Souls games are supposedly the best action games ever I have to mention how not even them do it right. don't cry.

Don't tell me what to do.

Also, I don't care, I don't play either franchise.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
TLOU2 does it pretty well, what’s your point exactly? Is it that Elden Ring should have every mechanic? You get knocked down and are exposed in souls games and that’s the mechanic they have chosen?

I agree it can be a cool mechanic. Although the Uncharted4 boss battle ruined lying down defending yourself for me with its quick time esque mechanics.

Last edited:

Filben

If I took a full swing at you while you were lying on the ground, despite what movies and games say, you would be dead.
Yet a 5 meter long axe or hammer can be blocked in Souls games from guys thrice the size of you.

doesn't count.

Ezquimacore

Banned
TLOU2 does it pretty well, what’s your point exactly? Is it that Elden Ring should have every mechanic? You get knocked down and are exposed in souls games and that’s the mechanic they have chosen?

I agree it can be a cool mechanic. Although the Uncharted4 boss battle ruined lying down defending yourself for me with its quick time esque mechanics.
my point is how every action game cares about combat, yet none of them has this simple mechanic that was released more than 10 years ago and makes sense when you have 6 enemies attacking. After replaying pop sands of time I remembered how deep the combat was for that time.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Last of Us 2 lets you stay prone on your back while you shoot too btw

Metal Gear Solid V kind let's you defend yourself on the ground. MGSV's character control options are far beyond anything today though.

It is indeed crazy the amount of control you have over Snake in MGSV. The whole series is full of little control details. Most people don't know you can stand on your tippie-toes in MGS2, or simultaneously run while shooting in MGS1, or crawl like a worm in MGS4.

my point is how every action game cares about combat, yet none of them has this simple mechanic that was released more than 10 years ago and makes sense when you have 6 enemies attacking. After replaying pop sands of time I remembered how deep the combat was for that time.
I’m not saying it wouldn’t be cool if more games let you block on the ground, but a lot of the games you mentioned (including Souls) has some sort of quick-rise/Ukemi mechanic. If they added a ground block mechanic would it even be useful when quickly getting up while dodging is arguably a better tactic?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think PoP had a quickrise, or at least not one with invincibility, so this was their only defensive ground mechanic. In most cases having both mechanics would probably be redundant. I could see it working as something you can do after you get knocked down to avoid a stunlock situation, but it would have to be faster than a ukemi to give it the utility, while eating all your Stamina/Do a small block stun animation so that it isn’t abusable and an easy “get out of jail free” move.

They’d have to go out of their way to balance it to be useful I think.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I’m not saying it wouldn’t be cool if more games let you block on the ground, but a lot of the games you mentioned (including Souls) has some sort of quick-rise/Ukemi mechanic. If they added a ground block mechanic would it even be useful when quickly getting up while dodging is arguably a better tactic?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think PoP had a quickrise, or at least not one with invincibility, so this was their only defensive ground mechanic. In most cases having both mechanics would probably be redundant. I could see it working as something you can do after you get knocked down to avoid a stunlock situation, but it would have to be faster than a ukemi to give it the utility, while eating all your Stamina/Do a small block stun animation so that it isn’t abusable and an easy “get out of jail free” move.

They’d have to go out of their way to balance it to be useful I think.
All you mentioned is why POP Sands of time does it, there's a point where there are at least 6 enemies spamming the same attack and the only way to not die without using the time mechanic is to block. Imagine a game where you can block if you put the shield on top of you to save yourself but then it breaks after certain amount of hits, or where you can use the sheath of your sword 5 times to block before it breaks. developers can create too many ideas that would make sense.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Souls aren’t even remotely the best action games on the stage, and they visibly don’t strive to be, too.

It is indeed crazy the amount of control you have over Snake in MGSV. The whole series is full of little control details. Most people don't know you can stand on your tippie-toes in MGS2, or simultaneously run while shooting in MGS1, or crawl like a worm in MGS4.
“You have a crazy amount of control, but most people don’t know half of what you can actually do” doesn’t vouch for a game’s user-friendliness all that much, now does it?
This reminds me of that one fight in Shadow of the Colossus where you have to turn around while on horseback to shoot arrows at the big worm that attacks you from behind. Except this move is never explained, hinted at, nor ever required again in the whole game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That actually was a pretty cool gameplay mechanic that I wish more games employed.

TLoU2 did well with knockdowns/staggers and the ability to defend yourself as well.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
“You have a crazy amount of control, but most people don’t know half of what you can actually do” doesn’t vouch for a game’s user-friendliness all that much, now does it?
This reminds me of that one fight in Shadow of the Colossus where you have to turn around while on horseback to shoot arrows at the big worm that attacks you from behind. Except this move is never explained, hinted at, nor ever required again in the whole game.

Can't speak for SoTC, but the ones I mentioned are just fun little details. I would say overall MGSV is intuitive and user-friendly. And in older MGS games you always have a support team you can call to explain every game mechanic & story tidbit, but most players nowadays just google.

Just a reminder that Super Metroid did this exact thing and was applauded for it.

Also, just a reminder that souls games do this but with their level design instead, and they are applauded for it too.

sainraja

It would be nice if it were included in a game with a robust combat system like Elden Ring, BUT if they took the time to incorporate it, they'd have to make it a key part of gameplay.

Nobody wants a game where you're constantly falling down just so the dev team can justify putting that mechanic in.

I agree though Assassin's Creed could use this mechanic, the combat is so fucking dull anything at all could help it.
The original AC games had pretty good combat but the most recent entries could do better, yes.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
look all the souls fanboys triggered because I said something CRITICAL about the gameplay of every action game but mentioned souls games too.

I'm honestly concerned. Are you really expecting a discussion or did you create a thread expecting everyone to not agree with you so you can throw provocative remarks like this one?
I think both are different type of games. Even though Elden Ring has parry anymations, it's more about timing and patterns than actually an action game. You aren't supposed to get hit for instance, hence why it has stamina mechanics(even for blocking) and the enemy punishs you hard for single mistakes.
Nothing wrong with Prince of Persia though, it's an interesting mechanic.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Souls games can't even give you a char that is not too retard and/or too weak and/or becomes tired too fast...

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
people are not going to take the topic seriously anyways, that's the way it is.

That's because it's nonsensical. PoP is an action game mixed with platforming elements with combat focused on rhythmic style parry combat while Souls games are action RPGs focused more heavily on character builds and a perverted version of Frogger where the highway is getting to hit the enemy and the speeding cars are giant rusted claymores piercing your face. Prone parry is cool, for sure, but it doesn't fit into experience From wants to provide and refine to it'd player base.

This is similar to saying a custom M4 with a grenade barrel is fucking wicked in an FPS, Souls doesn't have assault rifles, so therefore it's shit. Tower Knight? More like Swiss Cheese Knight, am I right? Ratatatata

I feel like this played out like a huge GACHA in your mind's eye and the fact that reality is a cruel mistress is at odds with your composure here.

Top Bottom