• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone |OT| Reiji & Xiaomu VS The World

Loona

if they wanted they probably could have been able to squeeze soul calibur characters , after all you don't need a solid plot when you do cross overs.

Well, it was kinda odd that they covered Soul Calibur in NxC without having Nightmare/Siegfried himself in it, so they could have used that, and tossing in the SC Yoshimitsu could have let to some funny-ish scenes with the Tekken characters.

Still, I prefer when a crossover manages to integrate its diverse elements well, which NxC and PXZ do way way better than, say, something like Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, and I prefer it that way, otherwise there's barely even a point in bringing together a diverse cast, might as well go for something original with mechanics inspired from other games.

Beat chapter 20!

Give me X and Zero!!

lol, my son (4) wanted them on the team from the beginning of the game. He danced for a good 2 minutes, like literally up and down, when I showed him.

Only had one person "die" so far. Game is so easy to build meter that it's pretty hard to die if you look at unit order.

I didn't use to waist meter on counter attacks, but quickly realized how good the EXP is from counters that I'll do it every time now.

Assists seem best for keep a unit locked down (and building meter). If an enemy doesn't have a block gauge, I'll call out an assist instantly, then immediately follow with my quickest attack. This will put them immediately in a CROSS hit and build meter extremely fast. If there's another assist, I'll wait till there's an animation for the previous assist to run out, or I'll watch the X in the middle, wait till its almost gone, then call the next one out.

It's clear this isn't the best way to maximize DPS in a particular fight, as you can't get CRITICAL when doing these types of strings, but your gauge is maxed in 2-3 battles, which unlocks supers and is obviously the highest DPS.

If there is a block gauge, I'll wait for the second attack, and try to time the attack (for the critical), then immediately follow with the assist (before the attack hits). Most times, the critical and assist will land simultaneously, scoring the elusive critical and locking them at that perfect height for the duration of the battle.

For COUNTERs, I find it best to check out your teams attacks, and see what combination has the best DPS (attack rating or whatever) and which one builds the most meter, for each team. If you're performing a counter, it's best to use the most damaging attack 2-3 times in a row (depending on the number of attacks they get). Anytime a character is dead and you're allowed to juggle, always go with the one that builds the most meter, over and over. This includes normal, non-counter battles as well.

Sorry for the long post, but i think implementing these tactics makes the game a breeze.

Beat chapter 20!

Give me X and Zero!!

lol, my son (4) wanted them on the team from the beginning of the game. He danced for a good 2 minutes, like literally up and down, when I showed him.

Only had one person "die" so far. Game is so easy to build meter that it's pretty hard to die if you look at unit order.

I didn't use to waist meter on counter attacks, but quickly realized how good the EXP is from counters that I'll do it every time now.

Assists seem best for keep a unit locked down (and building meter). If an enemy doesn't have a block gauge, I'll call out an assist instantly, then immediately follow with my quickest attack. This will put them immediately in a CROSS hit and build meter extremely fast. If there's another assist, I'll wait till there's an animation for the previous assist to run out, or I'll watch the X in the middle, wait till its almost gone, then call the next one out.

It's clear this isn't the best way to maximize DPS in a particular fight, as you can't get CRITICAL when doing these types of strings, but your gauge is maxed in 2-3 battles, which unlocks supers and is obviously the highest DPS.

If there is a block gauge, I'll wait for the second attack, and try to time the attack (for the critical), then immediately follow with the assist (before the attack hits). Most times, the critical and assist will land simultaneously, scoring the elusive critical and locking them at that perfect height for the duration of the battle.

For COUNTERs, I find it best to check out your teams attacks, and see what combination has the best DPS (attack rating or whatever) and which one builds the most meter, for each team. If you're performing a counter, it's best to use the most damaging attack 2-3 times in a row (depending on the number of attacks they get). Anytime a character is dead and you're allowed to juggle, always go with the one that builds the most meter, over and over. This includes normal, non-counter battles as well.

Sorry for the long post, but i think implementing these tactics makes the game a breeze.

does it mention which moves build most meter or do you have to keep track?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
does it mention which moves build most meter or do you have to keep track?

You can always see how much XP moves build from the stats menu.

Good write-up, esometric. I've been doing literally the same thing as you when it comes to getting the CrossX XP meter building. The exception is I'll go for Criticals with certain teams since each critical gives a 5% EXP bonus, which is pretty huge. Lately, I've been saving XP for Multi-Attacks and trying to get quad-kills, since that gives a juicy 40% EXP bonus to all the kills.

One thing I don't do, however, is Counter unless it will result in a kill. You said that it builds a lot of EXP? Is there are particular reason why, or do Counters always give a lot of EXP?

I believe I'm on Chapter 19 right now. My highest level team is 28.

You can always see how much XP moves build from the stats menu.

Good write-up, esometric. I've been doing literally the same thing as you when it comes to getting the CrossX XP meter building. The exception is I'll go for Criticals with certain teams since each critical gives a 5% EXP bonus, which is pretty huge. Lately, I've been saving XP for Multi-Attacks and trying to get quad-kills, since that gives a juicy 40% EXP bonus to all the kills.

One thing I don't do, however, is Counter unless it will result in a kill. You said that it builds a lot of EXP? Is there are particular reason why, or do Counters always give a lot of EXP?

I believe I'm on Chapter 19 right now. My highest level team is 28.

from memory, the EXP gain seems to be very similar to doing regular attacks. Like, as if they were doing a regular attack with slightly less damage.

Nothing wrong with going for critcals if, you are under 100 XP, and you have no problem locking the character at that height with your assists.

I'm on chapter 21 and I don't think I have anyone on level 28, as I purposely try to share the wealth between my teams. I don't like having one team that much OP than the rest.

I have soft spot for any character in street fighter or marvel vs capcom.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
from memory, the EXP gain seems to be very similar to doing regular attacks. Like, as if they were doing a regular attack with slightly less damage.

Nothing wrong with going for critcals if, you are under 100 XP, and you have no problem locking the character at that height with your assists.

I'm on chapter 21 and I don't think I have anyone on level 28, as I purposely try to share the wealth between my teams. I don't like having one team that much OP than the rest.

I have soft spot for any character in street fighter or marvel vs capcom.

So, you would get the same EXP? I was just worried I was missing out on a lot of EXP, but as long as it's almost the same as a regular attack then that's okay. It's funny looking at enemy health as a commodity for exchanging with EXP. I'm still not certain how EXP is calculated for regular hits that don't kill. The bonuses are listed, but I don't know how the base EXP is calculated. Obviously, you get a huge base if the attack kills the enemy.

Yeah, I can't help but give preferential treatment to certain teams, but I do have everyone at around 24-25, with around 3 teams at 27-28.

So, you would get the same EXP? I was just worried I was missing out on a lot of EXP, but as long as it's almost the same as a regular attack then that's okay.

Yeah, I can't help but give preferential treatment to certain teams, but I do have everyone at around 24-25, with around 3 teams at 27-28.

I believe my average is 26 or 27. I'll purposely prolong battles so specific teams can play catch up.

I don't up EXP boost items enough. I'll have to remember to do that.

Dat counter super is pretty GDLK though ;D

Dante/ Demitri are probably my second or third favorite team.

EDIT: As far as not counting goes, if you have at least one assist, you can build back 18 out of the 20 XP at least with 2 attacks and an assist. (5 XP for getting hit, 10-14XP for the 2 attacks + whatever for the assist). It's quite possible to actually gain XP based on the numbers I provided.

Free EXP, neutral to positive XP. No reason not to counter actually.

Perhaps if you want battles to go faster maybe?

The game taught me how to hit start during battle and I could then hit two enemies at once, yet I'm trying to do this now after they showed me that in a later chapter and it's not working. Do I have to level groups up before that is available now or what?

Isaccard

The game taught me how to hit start during battle and I could then hit two enemies at once, yet I'm trying to do this now after they showed me that in a later chapter and it's not working. Do I have to level groups up before that is available now or what?

First, they need to to have the ability to do multi attacks, which are level dependent on when they're gained. Second, they require meter. They can't be done on just a single enemy either.

Really makes me wish MvC had a story mode worth a damn.

Hard to argue this game has one either. In cross over's like these (for me atleast) it's the interactions between the characters that make the game/story so endearing. More so with Banpresto titles.

Songs replaced:
-World's Love -> Hope (Shining Force EXA)
-Mexican Flyer -> Coco☆Tapioca: The Huge Dancer (Space Channel 5)
-High Rise to Hell -> Poop Deck Pursuit (Dynamite Cop)

Songs removed:
-Over the Clouds (God Eater)
-Ring a Bell (Tales of Vesperia)
-Rocks (Super Robot Wars OG)
-Moshimo Kimi ga Negau Nara (Valkyria Chronicles 3)
-Wing Wanderer (Project x Zone opening song)
-Galaxy (Project x Zone ending song)

I checked out the sound test on my game now. I think that's all of the music changes and removals.

Personally, Wing Wanderer is the only real loss here. Over The Clouds is okay.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just finished the "all mecha enemies" stage, and honestly people exaggerated its difficulty and length. Then again I spammed Multi Attacks.

Mrcapcom

I wonder how well this did in sales I love this game so far. I hope this pushes them to make another one or one like it and get more anime themed games brought over to the US

I wonder how well this did in sales I love this game so far. I hope this pushes them to make another one or one like it and get more anime themed games brought over to the US

As much as I agree with your post, it's a niche market out there. Most of my friends looked at the trailer and thought it was just too flashy and didn't understand it.

GeekyDad

Only on about Chapter 9 or 10, so perhaps I haven't stumbled onto it yet, but why is the game even called Project x Zone?

To make it worse (some) people who are playing it still don't fully understand it >_>

I don't really get it either, but suffice to say I just enjoy seeing the characters beat up enemies with the flashiness.

I'm personally hoping they'll eventually localize a Super Robot War game (aside from the GBA ones), and time will only tell.

In other opinions, Frank West + Hsien-Ko's super attack is hilarious as hell to watch.

The story is pretty terrible. There's really not much to get. People just want to see their favorite characters interact in ways that wouldn't be possible otherwise. Only thing I really care for in the story is Frank West being a perv and taking photos of all the women.

Gartooth

Maybe I'm just weird, but I actually like the replacement opening theme better than the original.

By the way are some of the cinematic super animations gone from the english version? Some characters such as Hsien-Ko have just a character still instead of animation (I remember seeing hers in gif form around here too), and I think Estelle didn't even get one.

Loona

Hard to argue this game has one either. In cross over's like these (for me atleast) it's the interactions between the characters that make the game/story so endearing. More so with Banpresto titles.

I'm not too aware of this game's specific story outside something abouut some stone(s) affecting dimensional barriers, but NxC certainly had a story, even if a thin one - its triumph was the way it tied together the series it covered, with only a few presences feeling a bit forced and lacking a role in the whole (Haggar and the Tales guys). the way they tied Bravoman with everything else, for example, just felt plain right by taking advantage of the quirks of what they had to work with. And then there are official ties that were officially brought together in that game (guy from Final fight and Sho from Captain Commando, Taizo Hori from Dig Dug and Tobi Masuyo from Alien Sector/Baraduke...)
And then of course, was the dynamic between the original characters, which was appanrently enough to carry through to 3 more games, although I can't really judge their relevance there.

Somehow I can't imagine MonolithSoft underplaying their new originals, and when you have things like the Dural and Seth character concepts being so similar, for example, how hard can it be to pull off something that works nearly as well, considering the bump in the road that is having 3 companies' setting to blend together?

Personally, Wing Wanderer is the only real loss here. Over The Clouds is okay.

It would have been worse to lose Subarashi Shin Sekai IMO - at least to me a song about separation and union just feels more fitting for the occasion than one about finding divine purpose, and I just plain prefer the sound of the NxC theme.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
By the way are some of the cinematic super animations gone from the english version? Some characters such as Hsien-Ko have just a character still instead of animation (I remember seeing hers in gif form around here too), and I think Estelle didn't even get one.
I THINK they have them when you do a multi attack. I can't remember since I don't do them often.

First, they need to to have the ability to do multi attacks, which are level dependent on when they're gained. Second, they require meter. They can't be done on just a single enemy either.

I'm aware of the meter, and not a single enemy. I just needed to know if it needed to be unlocked via leveling. Thanks.

Mrcapcom

I don't really get it either, but suffice to say I just enjoy seeing the characters beat up enemies with the flashiness.

I'm personally hoping they'll eventually localize a Super Robot War game (aside from the GBA ones), and time will only tell.

In other opinions, Frank West + Hsien-Ko's super attack is hilarious as hell to watch.

Whats there to get:
Portals thru water that suck up heroes and there is a enemy thats trying to get power to rule or destroy all the worlds. Heroes first of all trying to figure it out probally have epic battle later on. But keep bumping into other heroes by accident and enemy's and fight.

Oddly enough im ok with that the flashiness is what makes the game so awesome and I actually sit down and read the whole story. This game is like the my fav 3DS game so far .

Im only seeing Haken and the princess, suzuka didnt make it to the game?

I noticed that one of Kaguya's attacks uses fans to control her flying moon-blades which I found was a nod to Suzuka.

I was playing Ch.11 last night, and I completely forgot that Akira/Pai weren't supposed to be KO'ed. So once more bosses showed up right next to them it killed them since they were pretty much low on health. I learned my lesson that I need to quicksave more often in this game :\

i didn't think quick save worked like that. i thought it was one of those things where you have to quick save which means you leave and can only restore to that point once.

Is that incorrect?

Yeah PXZ let's you revisit quicksaves. You remain in-game and it overwrites your last quick save. It's great since you can save during long battles to take a break....

Yeah PXZ let's you revisit quicksaves. You remain in-game and it overwrites your last quick save. It's great since you can save during long battles to take a break....

that's good to know. I would never use it, but 2 times i shut my 3ds (sleep) only to come back later and notice all my teams are dead except for like 3. My son (4) starts playing and it can go downhill pretty quickly

Bladenic

Reiji's lucky for bagging Xiaomu imo. She's a looker and I love the way she talks.

It's funny because I like all 3 OG male designs (Haken, Kogoro, and Reiji) but none of the female designs. It doesn't help that their voices are squeaky, especially Mii's which is annoying.

ohlawd

It's funny because I like all 3 OG male designs (Haken, Kogoro, and Reiji) but none of the female designs. It doesn't help that their voices are squeaky, especially Mii's which is annoying.

I blame the person in charge of the voices. Mii's design is great but her voice destroys it all. Yukari Tamura can do a much more mature sounding voice.

I don't really care for Mii either, but I love Kaguya and Xiaomu. Especially Xiaomu.

This guy gets it. I can't hate on Kaguya because she's voiced by Yukana.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I THINK they have them when you do a multi attack. I can't remember since I don't do them often.

Yeah, I know Hsienko has an animation during her Multiattack, which threw me off because Morrigan/Chun-Li and Dante/Demitri have still images during their Multi-attacks.

I sure hope that none of the animation was cut for the Western release.

LuuKyK

I am not really fond of the designs for the original characters either. Everyone wears black, red and yellow and has the most overdesigned and cliche outfit ever lol At least the weapons design is good ... Also Mii is such a dumb name. Couldn't they come up with something more creative?

Gartooth

I don't really mind the OC designs for the heroes too much aside from maybe an exception or two, but I think the villain designs are pretty awful.

Top Bottom