• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone |OT| Reiji & Xiaomu VS The World

Danj

Just played Demo B (game doesn't come out here till Friday), still enjoying the hell out of it. Definitely hyped!

Neki

Can you get criticals during a cross attack? (I mean during a cross attack, not getting a critical + then calling a support). Because if you can't, wouldn't it be easier to blow support + solo in the first bit so you're last 2-3 attacks can critical for more damage?

Also, what is CRT+? I keep seeing this come up lol.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can you get criticals during a cross attack? (I mean during a cross attack, not getting a critical + then calling a support). Because if you can't, wouldn't it be easier to blow support + solo in the first bit so you're last 2-3 attacks can critical for more damage?

Technically, yes, but it's a tradeoff. If you stagger the support + solo throughout the entire attack, you'll be in CrossX mode longer and have more of an opportunity to build more XP over 100%... but you sacrifice the ability to get Criticals and the EXP bonuses associated with those as well.

vctor182

Technically, yes, but it's a tradeoff. If you stagger the support + solo in the beginning, you have an opportunity to build more XP over 100%... but you sacrifice the ability to get Criticals and the EXP bonus associated with those.

You can also get Criticals for Special Attacks, just landed one and it's pretty devastating!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I still for the life of me never get criticals I just dunno how. Just to terrible at timing things. btw the loss of vocal music is bad on one hand, especially with no forewarning pre-release, but otoh wouldn't it get old real fast hearing the same 5-15 seconds of vocals?

I'ma question Xiaomu's foxgirl status. No tail(s) is a dead giveaway an the ears could easily be faked >.>
More Sakura Wars love and Ayame is a Kouma?! None of the anime series prepared me for this!
Neneko works well with the .hackers dialouge-wise!
Whys there only temporary quicksaves and not normals ones mid-battle? It's not like I wanna cheese the system or anything~
Chapter 12 took an hour!!
Oh an C12 also showed me something thats been annoying me. Bait & Switch battle requirements. First its defeat Sanger, then defeat all enemies, then defeat weirdo main baddies! I coulda been in a much better position to do the last requirement had I not been all caught up in the second one -_-;

ayze82

Neo Member
I still for the life of me never get criticals I just dunno how. Just to terrible at timing things.

I tend to get more criticals as I get used to the timing of the different attacks. For instance with Chun Li, once you pop the enemy up with the normal attack, right before they hit the ground you can use the second attack. I think that lower kick is more forgiving than some of the other characters moves. For instance with Kogoro Tenzai I have to lead the attack earlier, because he seems to have a delay with his second and third attack.

ohlawd

eh gah can't believe I've been using Defend all this time.

Counter with a solo unit already makes up for the 20% cost + 5% you get back from getting hit.

Neki

I'm really good with getting critcals with Dante/Dimetri and Chun/Morrigan, tends to be why I never pair them with solo characters because they do so much damage when you hit 5 criticals in a row. :p

ohlawd

I'm really good with getting critcals with Dante/Dimetri and Chun/Morrigan, tends to be why I never pair them with solo characters because they do so much damage when you hit 5 criticals in a row. :p

Kimochi desho?

Shichisei...... SENKUU KYAKUUUUUUUU

Bladenic

On chapter 7. Some random thoughts:

-ChunLi and Morrigan are super easy to get criticals with. Love them.
-I'm loving the localization and jokes. Like this pre battle quote:

"Gemini Sunrise is here to steal the spotlight."
"Erica Fontaine is here to.. Uh.. Debut?"

That along with Soma wondering they keep getting called GodS Eaters is hilarious.

-Zephyr and Leanne are super fun to use, while Vashyron's a hoot.

And um.. Wtf at Reiji and Xiaomu's relationship? It's, uh, strange to say the least.

I feel like playing this game will make me want to get Resonance of Fate finally. Also interested in Gods Eaters Burst now.

cj_iwakura

Reiji and Xiaomu are lovers, they're just... a weird sort.

What is the .hack music that plays during Kite/Black Rose's special? Boy is it hype.

natertots

Bought this game on launch day and played it for 2 hours. Finally pulling myself away from Animal Crossing to get some extra playtime with this title. Such a fun game. Unlocking new units is so awesome.

Neki

seeing X use all his awesome abilities is so cool. I'm still not sure why he wasn't put in MvC3, so ridiculous. xD

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
There aren't many reviews out, so I came to ask: is this game more fan service than fun? The former has little appeal to me. The demo showed potential, but only that.

GeekyDad

There aren't many reviews out, so I came to ask: is this game more fan service than fun? The former has little appeal to me. The demo showed potential, but only that.

The demo should have shown you most of what you can expect from the game as a whole. There's not much more to see, really.

vctor182

Fun is determined if you enjoy to deal insane amount of damage based by combining timing and little strategy. In my case, it's totally addictive and fun.

Loona

I'ma question Xiaomu's foxgirl status. No tail(s) is a dead giveaway an the ears could easily be faked >.>

They address this in Namco X Capcom - she's about 700 years old and started out as a regular fox,it's supposed to take her 1000 years to become human - at which point Reiji'll be dead unless they crossover with a series with an equivalent to the fountain of youth...
In NxC they also roughly address the differences between chinese fox-people (like Xiaomu) and japanese fox people (like Saya), but since what I read was the fan translation and the terms weren't too specific there it's a bit tricky to compare the corresponding mythologies on that...

Whys there only temporary quicksaves and not normals ones mid-battle? It's not like I wanna cheese the system or anything~
Chapter 12 took an hour!!
Oh an C12 also showed me something thats been annoying me. Bait & Switch battle requirements. First its defeat Sanger, then defeat all enemies, then defeat weirdo main baddies! I coulda been in a much better position to do the last requirement had I not been all caught up in the second one -_-;

All of these things are fairly standard in the Super Robot wars game, to which this, NxC and the Endless Frontier games owe a lot - considering they're trying to make characters from turn-based RPGs work with real-time action game characters, the compromize was a turn-based macro system with more timing based close-up combat sequences - considering the evolution from NxC to Endless Frontier to this, they're still figuring out a balance between the two aspects.

Mostly unrelated, but it crossed my mind: any interactions between Rikiya and Frank West? Since one's connected to the House of the Dead series and the other's a journalist (or does Frank stick to photography and doesn't write?...), it'd be cool to see a nod to Typing of the Dead, something like:
Rikiya: We got this - the keyboard's mightier than the sword!
Frank: Don't you mean pen?
Rikiya: I know what I said.

If you find 1-2 hour long stages that mostly consist of simple and repetitive fighting mini-games over and over to be fun, sure. If you're looking for more strategy try Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.

nmanma

vdxyTFt.jpg

25 hours in and I still can't see Imca as anything but an elf

Lucentto

Banned
Just beat the game. 52 hours. Overall a great game, I am truly glad it ended up getting localized. Now to see if New Game+ is worth it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Echoing the opinion of playing X1 through 4. X5, while still a decent game, is when it starts to go downhill.

Finally got the Shining Force EXA duo back. Just a shame I can't really enjoy the replacement music when it's their turn.

Has anyone played Xenosaga? If so, what's your tips on battle because I quit the game because of that. Also, I heard episode III is good and I want to play it.

cj_iwakura

Has anyone played Xenosaga? If so, what's your tips on battle because I quit the game because of that. Also, I heard episode III is good and I want to play it.

1 is decent, 2 is pretty bad(amazing music and fun battle system), 3 is amazing.

Oddly enough of all games, this makes me want to get back into Virtua Fighter.

Jintor

As someone who thought Valkyria Chronicles was Fire Emblem with guns and tanks, I was surprised to find out some girls have some kind of rad Valkyria hair-change ultra lance mode.

Lucentto

Banned
Is there a way to land crits in a special? Does it have to do with when you press the Y?

Press Y when they are close to the ground, you can also do it as soon as they touch the ground also. It's much easier getting a crit super than getting a crit with normal attacks.

nmanma

Is there a way to land crits in a special? Does it have to do with when you press the Y?

I've found it's easier to land criticals with specials than with regular attacks, just press Y right when the enemy hits the ground. To make it easier you can aim to be a little late and get them at the very start of their bounce, but the window of opportunity is quite small, like Rhythm Heaven Fever small

hitmon

Just got to the chapter where you get to play with 2 VC3 characters. It hurts VC3 never got localized. This game hasn't disappointed so far. I'm really enjoying it despite not knowing half the characters I've come across.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Resonance of Fate can be quite fun, but it has a really difficult learning curve/tutorial at the beginning. But once you learn the mechanics, it's great.

TWILT

Banned
I really wanna try out Tales of Vesperia because Yuri and Flynn seem really cool, but I don't have a 360, and I don't wanna import the PS3 version. *sigh*
This game has made me interested in Resistance of Fate and Endless Frontier. Any one can sell me on them?

Resonance of Fate is one of my favorite JRPGs this gen. The battle system, while a little complicated, is one of most fun I've had in a JRPG. The story itself isn't anything special, but I really like the characters in the game. The music is bitching, graphics are good, and it's pretty challenging (though it's not particularly a beginner friendly JRPG). It's only $19.99 on Amazon (though I guess the price may vary depending where you live), so I'd give it a shot!

I still haven't finished it myself because I got stuck at a difficulty spike near the end, but PxZ has made me want to go back and finish it.

Top Bottom