• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone |OT| Reiji & Xiaomu VS The World

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Here's how I do things.

Gaining XP = spread out the assist and solo attacks. Each character also has at least one attack that deals multiple hits. Use it when the enemy is locked in X mode.

Dishing most damage = call all assists at the same time and time attacks to deal criticals.

I still have a hard time timing Y for crits tho. I always end up going too early and only rarely hit for crit :/

Dishing most damage = call all assists at the same time and time attacks to deal criticals.

as long as your assist isn't missing, it should do the same damage regardless when one, or the other, or both are called out. If you have them at the perfect height, i suppose it could insure that you aren't missing, but then you aren't maximizing your XP gain as your attack 4 and/or 5 are no longer in the X cross mode.

Boss Doggie

as long as your assist isn't missing, it should do the same damage regardless when one, or the other, or both are called out. If you have them at the perfect height, i suppose it could insure that you aren't missing, but then you aren't maximizing your XP gain as your attack 4 and/or 5 are no longer in the X cross mode.

You don't crit when your enemy is in X mode. By summoning both at the same time, you have a shorter X mode but at the same time dealing damage that both assists would deal. You now have free 2 or 3 chances of dealing crits.

You don't crit when your enemy is in X mode. By summoning both at the same time, you have a shorter X mode but at the same time dealing damage that both assists would deal. You now have free 2 or 3 chances of dealing crits.

if you scored a crit before the assist hits, you can have a crit while in X, but you couldn't score subsequent crits from that same X height.

you could have about 3 chances to score a crit your way, yes. I would say that's a better strategy (yours) if you're under 100 XP. If you're at the threshold or above, I'd always go for the meter gain personally

Boss Doggie

If only specials don't "end" your attacks immediately.

Though at least it's good to know crits will still pop even in X mode.

With that said, specials don't eat up the rest of the 50%? I always thought if you added more over 100% the special will deal more damage.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If only specials don't "end" your attacks immediately.

With that said, specials don't eat up the rest of the 50%? I always thought if you added more over 100% the special will deal more damage.

Nope. It just acts as a surplus for Skills or to get you closer to the next Special.

vctor182

If the enemy is stun you first hit will land as critical and they can't defend. If you have 100% do a Special attack right away and it will be a critical

xSL4INx

I'm about halfway through I think and I'm going to try to finish it up this weekend. I'm really enjoying the game and it makes me wish that endless frontier 2 would have gotten brought over here; endless frontier 1 was one of my favorite ds games. I'll probably play through it again after finishing this.

Bladenic

On chapter 15, loving it. There are lots of enemies in battle but idk, the battle times don't really feel longer than any other SRPGs to me.

My favorite characters to use are Yuri/Estelle, Soma/Alisa, Dante/Demitri (OP as hell), Chun-Li/Morrigan, and Frank/Hsien-Ko. My least favorites are Kite/BlackRose. Don't like using them at all. Zephyr/Leanne also seem pretty weak.

vctor182

On chapter 15, loving it. There are lots of enemies in battle but idk, the battle times don't really feel longer than any other SRPGs to me.

My favorite characters to use are Yuri/Estelle, Soma/Alisa, Dante/Demitri (OP as hell), Chun-Li/Morrigan, and Frank/Hsien-Ko. My least favorites are Kite/BlackRose. Don't like using them at all. Zephyr/Leanne also seem pretty weak.

I like Zephyr/Leanne because they are the ones I can make 138 hits and I'm missing the 5th attack yet.

Jintor

You know for a series with as many characters as this game has it kind of sucks that you're fighting the same bosses over... and over... and over... and over... at least a couple of them flip sides after a while.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You know for a series with as many characters as this game has it kind of sucks that you're fighting the same bosses over... and over... and over... and over... at least a couple of them flip sides after a while.
Haha, yeah, it might feel like ages since I fought them since chapters are so long though.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
The little kid in me squees every time it's time for Kite and BlackRose's turn. Loved .hack so much when I was younger.

Neki

I love their attacks they just doesn't seem that strong (to me).
The RoF duo specializes in hits + status effects. I've basically made them my long-ranged status inflicters. I also gave them something where they can't be countered, so they basically attack from 4 range back and inflict down + stun. Most of their attacks are on the low side (B or C), but their XP ranges are 5-8%, which is extremely good. (If I remember correctly)

Basically, an attack can have several effects

It has a Strength, from C-S (I think C is the lowest)
It has an XP value, from 3%-9%
And it also has CRT+ (which according to the ingame info, adds more damage when you get a critical)
It also has the status ailments (Stun, Poison, Down, Bind)

Strength and XP value have an inverse relationship (mostly), where the stronger the attack, the less XP you get from performing it. For example, a Strength A attack only gets you approximately 3% XP value increase, while a Strength C attack will get upwards of 9%. Granted, none of this is really important in the grand scheme of things, as most of the time this only comes into play when you're doing a bonus attack. Basically, if you've ever let an enemy live with sub 100 health, you should have used a stronger attack instead of a weaker more XP gaining attack (if you wanted to kill it). My rule of thumb is attacks that look weak or have an excessive amount of hits usually are your Strength C's, while attacks that look immensely powerful are usually Strength A attacks. I don't know if status ailments lower the XP value, but I think they tend to do most of the time.

not sure why I wrote all of that, but there it is

Bururian

Man, I haven't had a chance to play in a week due to everything else in my life. I gotta stop slacking and get back to this game.

Bladenic

The RoF duo specializes in hits + status effects. I've basically made them my long-ranged status inflicters. I also gave them something where they can't be countered, so they basically attack from 4 range back and inflict down + stun. Most of their attacks are on the low side (B or C), but their XP ranges are 5-8%, which is extremely good. (If I remember correctly)

Hmm, so I should boost their tech stat then? Statuses are decently useful, especially stun on bosses.

Neki

Hmm, so I should boost their tech stat then? Statuses are decently useful, especially stun on bosses.

Well the reason I say that is because I think 3-5 of their attacks have status ailments, and their attacks are on the weak side, so I decided just to boost the shit out of their tech and use them as xp builders/status inflicters.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Is it an unwritten rule that most SRPGs need to have a 3/4 camera view? Just for once I'd like one where I can make the viewpoint nice and even! btw I hate that this is a handheld game. Was happily playing then deep into a battle zomg 3DS light flashing red gotta find my stylus to turn down the brightness, turn off the volume, search for the charger then minutes later find out its not plugged in! Way ta take me outta the moment!

vctor182

So even solo units and support units are able to land crit... just did one with neneko and haken/kaguya and before the cross attack gauge was depleted I sent erica/gemini and it also landed as a critical.

cj_iwakura

Neneko is entirely too hilarious. I'm curious about that game she's from.

And I've turned Kite/BlackRose into some killers.

Played the demo, and couldn't tell if it was all flash no substance, or just something that had a layer of complexity I hadn't yet grasped. Might wanna give the full game a shot...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Neneko is entirely too hilarious. I'm curious about that game she's from.
Yumeria is pretty much just a visual novel that also got an anime adaptation (12 episodes). Can't vouch for either of them since I never played or seen them. Might check out the anime since it's short once I finish up watching other stuff. Wiki has a summary of what they're about.

ChrisG683

Just got my copy from Newegg yesterday... and as everyone else discovered, it's the standard edition :/

I went to the Target nearby and managed to snag a limited edition, and I noticed that they have the same UPC code. I'm thinking about returning the standard edition to target, so that I don't have pay the return fee, as well as keep the $7 savings, any idea if this will work?

jorgeton

Just got my copy from Newegg yesterday... and as everyone else discovered, it's the standard edition :/

I went to the Target nearby and managed to snag a limited edition, and I noticed that they have the same UPC code. I'm thinking about returning the standard edition to target, so that I don't have pay the return fee, as well as keep the $7 savings, any idea if this will work?

Go for it. Find a cashier that looks like they don't know the 1st thing about video games. Doubt they'll bat an eye.

Neki

Yes you can:

Use Y attacks when you have no attacks remaining

Use Y attacks right before the land on the ground to get a critical, it does more damage

Uh what else isn't really explained, hm, using all of the attacks available gives you a +1 attack (everyone knows that)!

Using Y attacks give a bonus 20% exp if you kill them with it. Also if it's a boss and it's about to die, use it anyways. The bonus exp you get from killing bosses is worth the meter loss. You can use Y attacks even when the enemy has 0 health.

Auto use abilities are not actually auto-use, most have a pre-req that needs to be filled, such as < HP % or > XP %. Check them out!

not sure what else I missed

oh there is a difference between increased XP and increased EXP, XP is your special bar, EXP is for leveling guys!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I hope everyone knows to keep wailing on enemies even after their HP hits 0, why lose free XP?
Yup, soon as I noticed you kept gaining XP after KO'ing an enemy, I always try to use up all my attacks so I can get more. Though once I have 150%, I just press Start.

jorgeton

The more hits the more exp you get, seems to be 10% of your hits. So if you land and 80 hit combo, you get an 8% exp bonus. So it's totally worth wailing on baddies long after you've ko'ed em.

Neki

The more hits the more exp you get, seems to be 10% of your hits. So if you land and 80 hit combo, you get an 8% exp bonus. So it's totally worth wailing on baddies long after you've ko'ed em.

It's an XP bonus though, not an EXP bonus.

Neki

Pressing B also skips cinematic attacks (when you get tired of it). I skip boss attacks that I've seen and all the boring super attacks I don't like.

Ponn

Banned
So this showed up in my Amazon gold box today, must have been restocked. The description still says limited edition and details what comes in it. Went ahead and ordered it, if its the LE great, if not Amazon CS is good they may give me a credit for the wrong description.

cj_iwakura

Pressing B also skips cinematic attacks (when you get tired of it). I skip boss attacks that I've seen and all the boring super attacks I don't like.

Can't imagine that happening. My favorite boss attack is easily Jedah's. Is the scroll thing in Darkstalkers?

Kind of unfortunate bosses don't get animated cut-ins.

Top Bottom