• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Now subscribers. Is the service worth it? Whay could be improved for PS5?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Id like to see high quality streams. Think its a given and 720p is just too low these days imo.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'm considering trying PS Now and would like some opinions from those that are currently subscribed or have previously used the service. Also, what do you think could be improved going forward with the service on PS5?
It's always worked great for me even when I had 50 mb connection (I now have 1 gig). The only thing tht steered me away initially was pricing but now it is a steal and W
worth it if the older games it has you didn't play and didn't get to enjoy.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It's always subjective but there is some small ps3 gems on it that are really great (tokyo jungle or pupeteer for example)I hope they will add 3D Dot Game Heroes (it's a zelda2 like by from software ... yeah unexpetcted)

For the ps4 games they started to add more recent games and it is getting really good (it used to be mostly B tier games)

But if you wonder, check online their catalog you'll see if you like or not the offering.(but don't sleep on small games some of them are awesome)

G-Bus

Banned
Just subbed for the first time. The list for downloadable titles isn't too bad. Lots of indie stuff I'd like to try.

Honestly surprised this isn't talked about more. Could use some more AAA titles but seems like a pretty good deal for only $13.

yurinka

How is PS Now different from Game Pass?
With PS Now -a single subscription- you can stream all its (over 800?) games on PC/mobile/consoles, and to download on PS4 or PS5 all its PS4 (including PS2 Classics) games.

GamePass has a different subscription with different list of (150+?) games on PC, console and mobile, with a bigger subsciption (Ultimate, that includes all of them plus XBL Gold plus xCloud). Its games are streamed on mobile, and downloaded on console an PC. Its streaming service xCloud as of now only works for mobile and in some countries, it will be released in the future for consoles, but we still don't know when.

Not all Sony games aren't included in PS Now, and they are introduced there once they have been in the market for a while. MS instead decided some time ago that all the games published by them would be on GamePass at launch.

Last edited:
With PS Now -a single subscription- you can stream all its (over 800?) games on PC/mobile/consoles, and to download on PS4 or PS5 all its PS4 (including PS2 Classics) games.

GamePass has a different subscription with different list of (150+?) games on PC, console and mobile, with a bigger subsciption (Ultimate, that includes all of them plus XBL Gold plus xCloud). Its games are streamed on mobile, and downloaded on console an PC. Its streaming service xCloud as of now only works for mobile and in some countries, it will be released in the future for consoles, but we still don't know when.

Not all Sony games aren't included in PS Now, and they are introduced there once they have been in the market for a while. MS instead decided some time ago that all the games published by them would be on GamePass at launch.
So PSNow has more titles but they are older titles. You won't get new releases on PSNow. Game Pass has less total games but gets MS new releases day one. Interesting. So PSNow is the way the PS5 will get back compatibility for PS3 and PS2 games you just have to pay for it whether you own the games previously or not.

ranmafan

I’ve had psnow for almost a year now and I’ve been very happy with it. The price is very good and the selection of games has been what I wanted. Also, and this could be because I’m in Japan and we have fantastic net setups here, but the streaming is almost always flawless. I’ve been heavily impressed at how well that works playing PS3 games. However, one bad thing about the Japan service compared to say the US one is the selection here is smaller than the west. Still I’m very happy with it. And will be resubscribing. Especially with the good price.

I do want to see Sony heavily expand the selection going into the PS5. More PS4 titles that stay on the service long term would be great. It would be nice to see them add more PS3 titles but with only one new one in the last few months in Japan it’s probably not going to happen. One thing I think they really should consider is adding vita, psp, and ps2/1 to the streaming side. If they could work that into the service that would be an fine alternative to what we have now of now emulation for those systems. But overall I’m very happy.

fallingdove

I have subbed a couple of times now. I’m not sold on the idea of access to thousands of games. I always and up playing a game for 30 seconds and moving on to the next random game I was somewhat interested in playing.

That said - expanding the catalog of PS1 and PS2 games would be interesting and making all titles downloadable would definitely make the service more compelling.

yurinka

So PSNow has more titles but they are older titles. You won't get new releases on PSNow. Game Pass has less total games but gets MS new releases day one. Interesting. So PSNow is the way the PS5 will get back compatibility for PS3 and PS2 games you just have to pay for it whether you own the games previously or not.
Be warned that Game Pass also features mostly old games (games are included to EA Play when they are like a year old or so), and that not all MS old games are there (example: no Gears 2 or 3 in PC Gamepass), and that games are rotated.

Remember also that PS4 had 52 'PS2 classics', while XBO supported 42 OG Xbox games (360 and OG Xbox games supported for Series X games will be -or aim to be- the ones supported by XBO). And remember also that most of the main PS1, PS2 and PS3 games were remastered/remade/ported to PS4 or included in collections.

If you have all these games on their PS4 versions you'll get them for free on PS5, or if not you'll be able to buy them on the store. If they are included in PS Now you'll be able to download and play them locally on PS4 or PS5 if you are a subscriber. Some PS3 games are in PSNow but didn't receive a PS4 port/remaster/remake so their only way to play them on PS4 or PS5 will be via PS Now.

Last edited:

12Dannu123

I think right now, PSNow for its price is somewhat fine, but the problem Sony faces is that it will always be constantly compared to Game Pass and right now Game Pass has big mindshare and higher developer interest. You don't see much developers release new games on PSNow. Right now Game Pass is growing rapidly because of its content and expansion to other devices.

At the moment PSNow has been ignored by many consumers and isn't mentioned in Cloud Gaming news.

Top Bottom