• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 games on PS2

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
When's the last time you actually booted up a PlayStation game on your PS2?

I'll go first. Klonoa, four months ago.

klonoa_200902_08.jpg

8bit

Knows the Score
I had never owned a PS1, so I've been buying games that I missed. The last few weeks have been mainly Ape Escape, No One Can Stop Mr Domino & Jumping Flash.

Starfire

Chrono Cross, FFVII, and Xenogears, at regular intervals (I've probably replayed them all at least six or seven times now :D ), not recently though, my PS2 currently sits upon a table awaiting me to close it after modchip installation.

Good thing I have my PSone Handy.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Whenever I go into a funk with nothing to play, I break out FFT and make a little progress in it...

Kolgar

Last Saturday. Dino Crisis 2.

I also gave Omega Boost a spin.

Oh, and ESPN Extreme Games! An old game, but surprisingly fun to this day. I love kicking those competitors off their bikes. :)

I played Vir Ribbon the other night for some friends; its the ultimate "what the hell?" title to show off, especially to those who haven't played a video game in years.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
About 6 months ago to play Castlevania: SOTN.

I kind of think bc is worthless past a few months into a new gen. Unless it's GBA games on the DS as they don't look tremendously different. In a year or two that library will probably be huge too.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Yesterday for Super Robot Wars Alpha. Fucking WuFei & Quatre, eat Chakram Death. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
About 6 months ago to play Castlevania: SOTN.

I kind of think bc is worthless past a few months into a new gen. Unless it's GBA games on the DS as they don't look tremendously different. In a year or two that library will probably be huge too.

But 6 months ago wasn't just a few months into the current gen :p

That and I'd think the responses in this thread are a good indication that BC even 5 years into a new generation is still used often and worthwhile.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
But 6 months ago wasn't just a few months into the current gen :p

That and I'd think the responses in this thread are a good indication that BC even 5 years into a new generation is still used often and worthwhile.

It'll always vary from person to person. But it is awfully important to a lot of people such as myself. After GB/PS line started using it, it has become one of the top three things I look for in systems. It's just so useful for my needs.

Um Jammer Lammy which I bought about 3-4 weeks ago. But, I haven't played the PS2 for a while, because it can't read blue bottom discs anymore (no more Gradius V for me :()

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jumping Flash

Correct. But all of this does remind us that whether it's important or not, backward compatibility is largely pointless. I hardly play my old current gen games on my current gen systems. WTF would I want to play them on my next gen system? I'm sure that by the time I get all halcyon for RE4, it will be on a MAME derivative.

Also, HD lag guy - WTF is HD lag re. a console output? - are you talking about an actual delay between PS2 and TV? I've seen it happen on startup - but never a sync issue between my controller and what's happening on TV.

Teddman

About two months ago to play FFIV (FF Chronicles disc), which I'll return to someday... Looks like for many folks, Final Fantasy is the name of the game in backwards compatibility.

akascream

Banned
A couple of weeks ago, I threw FF:Tactics in. Before that (a year or so ago?), I played FF:Origins. BC isn't that big a deal to me though, I don't mind digging out an old console when I got an itch.

Flo_Evans

2 weeks ago some square thread made me bust out some parasite eve.... still a pretty flawed game, but damn I want a next-gen sequel!

before that was wipeout XL in preperation for the PSP launch and wipeout pure^^

Radius

In March, playing Toshinden 1-3 and Tobal 2 (this has to be one of the best fighting games ever - hard to believe that it was made by Dream Factory)

Just replayed the endings for FFVIII and FFIX last week to refresh my memory (and blast off some crazy summons...) after finishing a couple PS2 rpgs. And still working on Tenchu 2 after playing through the rest of the series previously.

Zeo

Banned
FFVII.

I'm not sure of the number of times I've replayed that, but did again earlier this year.

Bluecondor

Herc's Adventures is still a decent PS1 game - I play it every few months or so. It is a strange 2d looking game that sometimes has 3d elements. The gameplay does get tedious and repetitive though. I would love to see a PS2 or PS3 version of this game, as the production value was pretty good....

Top Bottom